• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

The room correction/EQ software. Denon's use Audyssey, whose best variant (XT32) has a ton of bass region filters to correct room modes (which is where it's most needed), can independently time/level match dual subs, and is fully customizable with the add on mobile app. Pioneer's use MCACC, which I'm admittedly not real familiar with. Unfortunately no one has done a controlled measured comparison between the various solutions.

Oct 25, 2017
Figure this would be the best place to ask: I have Sennheiser 598 HDs that I use with my PS4 using an Astro Mixamp TR (to control the volume mainly, I have stereo audio since I don't use the virtual surround sound).

With some games, with the volume at a good level, like in FF7R, everything sounds great except in combat where the sword starts to clash which produces a harsher pitched sound than everything else. What, if any EQ setting controls something like that? That sound really hurts my ears.

I'd like to avoid turning down the volume because that turns it down for everything rather than the problem pitch sound.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I had a Pioneer Elite box back when they were like $2K

www.soundandvision.com

Pioneer Elite SC-07 A/V Receiver

Price: $2,200 At A Glance: Ultra-sophisticated setup and calibration system • Punchy-sounding ICEPower amplification • Versatile LAN-based Home Media Gallery with iPod connectivity Too Much Functionality? One step down from Pioneer’s flagship $7,000 SC-09TX A/V receiver, the SC-07 offers an...

Had it for a long time but then I moved and couldn't use it anymore. Now I'm building out a theater but needed a 4K HDR receiver so I just grabbed the Denon S-750H. For $400. Different times....

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picking up a PS5 at launch and I'm wondering what the best Headset will be around that time for that system. I love my Steelseries but new tech and all...

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty interested in the Denon X3600H, but the more I hear about how hot it runs, the more wary I feel. I have issues with heat, and so I don't want a super hot thing making things hotter in here...

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
All the denon avr's run hot when using the video processor. That is what is the main cause of heat.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What's this talk about fans, does all new AVR's have internal cooling fans or over heating issues??
I'm sitting on a Marantz SR6012, thinking about upgrading when jumping into next generation but just the thought of possibly hearing a fan from where the AVR sits is making my skin crawl.
Edit: better explaination

Oct 28, 2017
Was browsing general headphone stuff when I came across a link to these apparently legendary headphones:

www.cnet.com

Sony MDR-R10: The world's best headphone?

In the late 1980s, Sony engineers went all-out to make a statement headphone, the MDR-R10. Too bad you'll probably never get to hear it.

I've never had the pleasure of using headphones even remotely on this level, but reading this and a couple of other reviews of them I experienced immediate headphone penis envy. I don't suppose anyone here has ever had a chance to use them? Wonder if Sony could ever be convinced to make 'em again or something nearly on their level and sell them at a more reasonable price.

Ah well, back to browsing potential audio and heaphone setups to use with the PS5...

Late response but I'll answer. Sony R10 are one of those mythical headphones whose reputation is far greater than its actual performance, because very few of them are still operational. You can't find one for sale or to demo because the owner is hoarding it, trying to sell it at Sennheiser HE-1 prices or has one whose drivers are in the process of decomposing. Few can dispute the reviews for those reasons.

There's like one good thing about them and it's their ability to reproduce strings with the midrange/treble emphasis and reverb inducing cups. Everything else is mediocre to bad, with the bass being trash. You would only want to own this thing if the only thing you listen to were violin concertos. For that, I would argue to get stereo speakers and pocket the change.

So basically just buy something like a Focal Utopia if you have $6000 burning in your pocket.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Late response but I'll answer. Sony R10 are one of those mythical headphones whose reputation is far greater than its actual performance, because very few of them are still operational. You can't find one for sale or to demo because the owner is hoarding it, trying to sell it at Sennheiser HE-1 prices or has one whose drivers are in the process of decomposing. Few can dispute the reviews for those reasons.

There's like one good thing about them and it's their ability to reproduce strings with the midrange/treble emphasis and reverb inducing cups. Everything else is mediocre to bad, with the bass being trash. You would only want to own this thing if the only thing you listen to were violin concertos. For that, I would argue to get stereo speakers and pocket the change.

So basically just buy something like a Focal Utopia if you have $6000 burning in your pocket.

Informative post, thanks

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
lol I'm deaf on the left side so basically I'm mono rather than stereo and you have no idea how much bother me the fact that there is no option to put mono audio in games. And yeah, basically I have just cheap headset and no audio system attached on the tv.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
lol I'm deaf on the left side so basically I'm mono rather than stereo and you have no idea how much bother me the fact that there is no option to put mono audio in games. And yeah, basically I have just cheap headset and no audio system attached on the tv.
PC I'm am sure you could get software to put out mono.

Xbox seems to as well.

Mono output combines all audio channels into one. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, select System > Settings > Ease of Access > Audio, and then select Mono output.
This will override your current audio output settings. The combined mono output will sound the same on all speakers.

Another option is maybe the tv has mono only as an option. Plug head set into that.

As a last resort look into stereo to mono converter boxes start at around ~$50.

Maybe try one of those options, good luck.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so my Logitech 2.1 (z533) speakers for my PC has had an issue with the Left Speaker out going quiet after a few hour of use. It almost seems like it's heat related as I had an issue during the winter when I had a heater close to the Sub(connections).

anyway I was looking for a way to avoid getting another entire 2.1 set up and simply use the two satellites and toss the Sub. They're 15watts each with RCA connectors. Do they make small standalone amplifiers for PC?

EDIT: will something like this work?

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys feel that a 5.1/7.1 was a great investment? I only have my TV speakers but wondered about a sound system to enhance my enjoyment. Spiderman made me wonder, swinging around and all.

Absolutely. I will always need a surround sound setup since it's such a huge difference. I even figured out a solution for my outdoor projector setup too for outdoor movie night.

I had a Pioneer Elite box back when they were like $2K

www.soundandvision.com

Pioneer Elite SC-07 A/V Receiver

Price: $2,200 At A Glance: Ultra-sophisticated setup and calibration system • Punchy-sounding ICEPower amplification • Versatile LAN-based Home Media Gallery with iPod connectivity Too Much Functionality? One step down from Pioneer’s flagship $7,000 SC-09TX A/V receiver, the SC-07 offers an...

Had it for a long time but then I moved and couldn't use it anymore. Now I'm building out a theater but needed a 4K HDR receiver so I just grabbed the Denon S-750H. For $400. Different times....

That's been my receiver for the last 12 years. To be fair, that receiver was near top of the line without going too crazy back then and to get something comparable today would cost you more than $400. There's still a considerable performance gap between that Denon and the Pioneer. You could have bought a functional $400 receiver back then too that did feature wise a lot of what the Pioneer did too.

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
PC I'm am sure you could get software to put out mono.

Xbox seems to as well.

Mono output combines all audio channels into one. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, select System > Settings > Ease of Access > Audio, and then select Mono output.
This will override your current audio output settings. The combined mono output will sound the same on all speakers.

Another option is maybe the tv has mono only as an option. Plug head set into that.

As a last resort look into stereo to mono converter boxes start at around ~$50.

Maybe try one of those options, good luck.
Thank you for your suggestions, I didn't checked under Ease of Access on Xbox, that's great. I'll check also that kind of converter!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone own a Schiit Asgard 3 for their desktop setup or powered monitors? Or does anyone know if the pre-outs mute when headphones are plugged in?

(Also, any other recs in the ~$300 price range for a dac+headphone amp?)

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
bIKj0AJ.jpg

ic3mTgs.jpg

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
All the denon avr's run hot when using the video processor. That is what is the main cause of heat.
When you say "using the video preocessor" does that include any video output at all or just when you use post processing effects the AVR can apply? Does it not get as hot if you're just doing straight video pass through?

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Figure this would be the best place to ask: I have Sennheiser 598 HDs that I use with my PS4 using an Astro Mixamp TR (to control the volume mainly, I have stereo audio since I don't use the virtual surround sound).

With some games, with the volume at a good level, like in FF7R, everything sounds great except in combat where the sword starts to clash which produces a harsher pitched sound than everything else. What, if any EQ setting controls something like that? That sound really hurts my ears.

I'd like to avoid turning down the volume because that turns it down for everything rather than the problem pitch sound.
I have the same headphones and a Mixamp Pro TR. Have you tried the different sound presets on the Mixamp? There are four different ones to choose from there.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
When you say "using the video preocessor" does that include any video output at all or just when you use post processing effects the AVR can apply? Does it not get as hot if you're just doing straight video pass through?
Its not active if you're just listening to music or if you're just doing straight video pass thru. But you will need to disable everything.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Its not active if you're just listening to music or if you're just doing straight video pass thru. But you will need to disable everything.
Are there any concerns for it running hot? Means it's more likely to break over time? Just asking as I've never owned an AVR before but have been considering the X3600 and a 5.1.2 setup once this virus stuff settles down.

Don't think I'd want any processing anyway. Would rather just pass the video to my C8 and let that handle it. Is there much I'd be missing out on?

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same headphones and a Mixamp Pro TR. Have you tried the different sound presets on the Mixamp? There are four different ones to choose from there.

I did, but none solved my issue. I ended up using Equalizer APO on PC with some songs playing and lowered the dB on some higher end frequencies which largely addressed the issue for me.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing that the Denon X3600H is for me, but man that price... I wish there was some kind of sale because it's hard for me to justify spending that amount...

I also don't know if I should buy speakers first or a receiver first...

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I did, but none solved my issue. I ended up using Equalizer APO on PC with some songs playing and lowered the dB on some higher end frequencies which largely addressed the issue for me.

I have the same Mixamp too and I had to change to the Flat EQ profile because their default was boosting the highs too much. Once I essentially turned off any EQ it was much better.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same Mixamp too and I had to change to the Flat EQ profile because their default was boosting the highs too much. Once I essentially turned off any EQ it was much better.

That's what I had done but with FF7R, the sound of Clouds sword in combat was just bothering me even with the flat preset. It was simply too sharp and just kinda hurt my ears over a few combat encounters. Lowering those frequencies a bit seems to have helped quite a bit though.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Are there any concerns for it running hot? Means it's more likely to break over time? Just asking as I've never owned an AVR before but have been considering the X3600 and a 5.1.2 setup once this virus stuff settles down.

Don't think I'd want any processing anyway. Would rather just pass the video to my C8 and let that handle it. Is there much I'd be missing out on?

They're designed and spec'ed for their heat output so there's no more risk than your TV, consoles, phone, or computer dying. The X series Denon's have 3 year warranty's (3x longer than those other products listed) so it seems they're much more confident in them lasting.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017

Just IMO, it's destined to fail if you use it a lot. I watch a lot of movies, so I can imagine the whole unit needing to be serviced or just replaced after 5-6 years of constant use. That much heat is no good for any device. It really needs a fan on top to blow air away from unit. I believe most people who run their AVR's 24/7 do this anyway. Personally I just buy gear that doesn't get too hot, and if it does, I have a couple of inches of vertical space and plenty of horizontal space for heat to vent out. The problem with the Denon stuff is the chip used doesnt have adequate cooling, so it just gets hot and there's nowhere for the heat to go.

Meanwhile, my amp can output 1.8kW of power and barely ever gets warm to the touch. Go figure.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Audio ERA, I'm looking to get a new headset, preferably wireless. I'm on One X at the moment, and will eventually get Series X and PS5. Give me a premium set that will deliver top audio?

I'm currently using a GSP 500, but its wired into the controller. I can't seem to find any that are hi fidelity and work with Xbox as well :(

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Just IMO, it's destined to fail if you use it a lot. I watch a lot of movies, so I can imagine the whole unit needing to be serviced or just replaced after 5-6 years of constant use. That much heat is no good for any device. It really needs a fan on top to blow air away from unit. I believe most people who run their AVR's 24/7 do this anyway. Personally I just buy gear that doesn't get too hot, and if it does, I have a couple of inches of vertical space and plenty of horizontal space for heat to vent out. The problem with the Denon stuff is the chip used doesnt have adequate cooling, so it just gets hot and there's nowhere for the heat to go.

Meanwhile, my amp can output 1.8kW of power and barely ever gets warm to the touch. Go figure.
How are Yamaha's known to be for this? I hear they'll be first to market with 2.1 AVR's so I might wait until later in the year to see what they offer. Lack of 2.1 is the main thing making me hesitate on the Denon right now.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Current setup purchased for my home theater I'm building:

Onkyo 795 (5.2.4)
Polk: 265RT for Left/Right x 2, 255RT for Center x 1, 65RT for sides x 2, RC80i x 4 (atmos ceiling)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so my Logitech 2.1 (z533) speakers for my PC has had an issue with the Left Speaker out going quiet after a few hour of use. It almost seems like it's heat related as I had an issue during the winter when I had a heater close to the Sub(connections).

anyway I was looking for a way to avoid getting another entire 2.1 set up and simply use the two satellites and toss the Sub. They're 15watts each with RCA connectors. Do they make small standalone amplifiers for PC?

EDIT: will something like this work?
An amplifier like that should work just fine; though you don't need anything like that expensive for a pair of small desktop speakers.
You could replace the entire set with much better speakers for $200.
You only need something like a Lepai amplifier for ~$20 on Amazon to drive speakers like those.

But you would have to find an adapter or do some soldering though, because those speakers appear to use an RCA connection rather than typical speaker terminals.
EDIT: Thinking about it more; it may actually be possible to just cut the end off the RCA connectors and strip the cable to use it with another amplifier. Not sure.

Just get an Aircom fan unit you can put on top. I have one for my Denon. Check out Amazon.
That would just speed up how quickly the AVR heats up the room by exhausting the heat quicker.

Unless you are driving the speakers very loud they should only be using a few watts at most.
One of the big problems I see in people's setups is that they massively over-spec the amplifier, which can result in a lot of extra noise on the output (hiss when nothing is playing).

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Haint... I have that Pioneer set you recommended to me coming. I got 7 speakers, ignoring atmos for now until I can afford a receiver. Since the X3600H went out of stock everywhere right now and I kind of want to wait for a sale I'm just going to use these with my current receiver until I can switch. I'll probably get the SVS PB1000 since I can't find a Speedwoofer anywhere. Though honestly I kinda wish I could get a cheaper sub than this. Any ideas?

P.S. I bought them all in New Condition from Pioneer open box.. did best offer on all 7 speakers and spent less than $500 on a set that would have cost me like $800 on Amazon.

Last edited:

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Well, Haint... I have that Pioneer set you recommended to me coming. I got 7 speakers, ignoring atmos for now until I can afford a receiver. Since the X3600H went out of stock everywhere right now and I kind of want to wait for a sale I'm just going to use these with my current receiver until I can switch. I'll probably get the SVS PB1000 since I can't find a Speedwoofer anywhere. Though honestly I kinda wish I could get a cheaper sub than this. Any ideas?

How large is the room, and is it closed off or opening into other spaces? The bang for buck budget sub is the Dayton Sub1200, but I think it might be sold out as well. The Monoprice 9723 isn't quite as good, but is very decent for the price. I would suggest getting 2 if you go with any of these cheaper options and have locations to accommodate, you'll gain a little output, but more importantly duals will produce a more even response. These budget subs should fill out the low bass nicely, but they won't have the power the rattle the room.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
How large is the room, and is it closed off or opening into other spaces? The bang for buck budget sub is the Dayton Sub1200, but I think it might be sold out as well. The Monoprice 9723 isn't quite as good, but is very decent for the price. I would suggest getting 2 if you go with any of these cheaper options and have locations to accommodate, you'll gain a little output, but more importantly duals will produce a more even response. These budget subs should fill out the low bass nicely, but they won't have the power the rattle the room.

It's not too big of a living room really. It's also very open. Like a hallway and an open doorway to the kitchen. Plus a bedroom door on each side of the entertainment center. Currently I have a YST-SW012.

Also uhh, I wonder if there's a good solution to an issue I'm having with center channel placement. I currently have my center channel on the bottom shelf of my entertainment center because my entertainment center doesn't have any room really to put it higher, and my TV is too low to put the center channel in front of it...

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
It's not too big of a living room really. It's also very open. Like a hallway and an open doorway to the kitchen. Plus a bedroom door on each side of the entertainment center. Currently I have a YST-SW012.

Also uhh, I wonder if there's a good solution to an issue I'm having with center channel placement. I currently have my center channel on the bottom shelf of my entertainment center because my entertainment center doesn't have any room really to put it higher, and my TV is too low to put the center channel in front of it...

If you have clearance above the TV there are a couple types of shelves (1 or 2) which should support the C22 provided their footprints are large enough. You can also try disabling the center channel in the AVR's menu's which will instead send its signal to the L/R mains creating what's called a phantom center. If your physical center placement is bad a phantom can be preferred. Try it both ways and see which you like better. Obviously just return the C22 if phantom comes out ahead.

For the sub, if you're wanting something affordable and don't want to wait around for inventory restocks, 2x Monoprice 9723's would definitely be a substantial upgrade over your Yamaha.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
If you have clearance above the TV there are a couple types of shelves (1 or 2) which should support the C22 provided their footprints are large enough. You can also try disabling the center channel in the AVR's menu's which will instead send its signal to the L/R mains creating what's called a phantom center. If your physical center placement is bad a phantom can be preferred. Try it both ways and see which you like better. Obviously just return the C22 if phantom comes out ahead.

For the sub, if you're wanting something affordable and don't want to wait around for inventory restocks, 2x Monoprice 9723's would definitely be a substantial upgrade over your Yamaha.
I guess I could try to be patient and just use what I have until the Speedwoofer 10S is available... or spend the extra $100.

P.S. Is there a good, reasonably priced receiver that supports 7.1.2 and dolby vision/4k things? One that is at least better than my Onkyo TX NR545.

Last edited:

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Would you guys buy a cheap <$500 5.1 system or go straight to buying two expensive pieces and build from there?

I was considering <$500 5.1 system and replacing one by one, but that would create a significant imbalance, right?

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
Would you guys buy a cheap <$500 5.1 system or go straight to buying two expensive pieces and build from there?

I was considering <$500 5.1 system and replacing one by one, but that would create a significant imbalance, right?
I would start with a pair of speakers and an AVR to start and work you way up form there. The imbalance you're talking about is probably the timbre which can sound diffent from brand to brand. It's less of a problem as some people might make you think, but it still exists.

I think you really start to maximize your dollar when you can increase budget to around the 2k mark. Otherwise, look to the used market. But be prepared to spend much more than $500 if you want surround plus subwoofers.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Haint Welp, I guess I'm going with the SVS PB-1000. Hope it's as good as the Speedwoofer 10S! I really wanted that. I also am gonna get a Auralex SubDude-II, since I hear a lot of house vibration when my current sub gets loud enough. Hopefully that'll help? Never gotten anything like it before.

Now all that is left is to one day purchase an AVR someday! Speakers will be here on Friday.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Haint Welp, I guess I'm going with the SVS PB-1000. Hope it's as good as the Speedwoofer 10S! I really wanted that. I also am gonna get a Auralex SubDude-II, since I hear a lot of house vibration when my current sub gets loud enough. Hopefully that'll help? Never gotten anything like it before.

Now all that is left is to one day purchase an AVR someday! Speakers will be here on Friday.

The PB1000 is slightly better than the Speedwoofer, but obviously $100 more expensive. Also SVS makes special isolation feet, they're the same price as the Auralex. I'm not sure which would work better though.