• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
YVQ_Rb_pfJ_Ui_GpCsS45Mwsg-htvj6j7qo9GeuhV5c.jpg

no one gives a shit about your opinion, writer at the BBC.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the original trilogy, I kinda disliked Return of the Jedi. It felt goofy after the great execution of the previous movie, with the lengthy Jabba part and the Ewoks being situations that they could have solved far easier, without wasting a lot of time on each.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Abolish the license fee. I don't want to pay for this or any part of an Organization that would publish this shite.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to focus on one terrible point: the Rebellion destroying the Death Star and still being pushed from their home base and scattered after ANH was to show the vast reach of the Empire and how they weren't just one battlestation in one system. "You think you won? This isn't even 1% of my power" is very effective in ESB and makes you realize how fleeting the victory in Yavin was for the Rebels

Also, it wasn't just audiences that loved it. Critics were welcoming to the film

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue here is that the premise of the complaint is wrong.

The Death Star is destroyed. That's a good thing, but at absolutely no point does that put an end to the war. It was a battle, the Battle of Yavin. It was solely part of a much larger theatre.

It's a big celebration because it was a big deal, but who said that was it, job done, in a A New Hope?

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issue here is that the premise of the complaint is wrong.

The Death Star is destroyed. That's a good thing, but at absolutely no point does that put an end to the war. It was a battle, the Battle of Yavin. It was solely part of a much larger theatre.

It's a big celebration because it was a big deal, but who said that was it, job done, in a A New Hope?
That's not the point the author is making. He's asking how the empire came out of that stronger rather than weaker

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the point the author is making. He's asking how the empire came out of that stronger rather weaker
They have a massive amount of resources and a vast reach, with three years in between the Death Star being destroyed and the events of ESB it's no surprise they make a massive assault on an important Rebel base.

Oct 28, 2017
They have a massive amount of resources and a vast reach, with three years in between the Death Star being destroyed and the events of ESB it's no surprise they make a massive assault on an important Rebel base.

This scene suggests that the Rebellion is well equipped, dangerous to the imperial Starfleet and it was only with the Death Star that they could force systems in line.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

This scene suggests that the Rebellion is well equipped, dangerous to the imperial Starfleet and it was only with the Death Star that they could force systems in line.

I've always seen this as a load of military posturing. In the final battle there a grand total of like 30 Rebel ships. A lot of the downfall of the Death Star was due to hubris, such as Tarkin feeling the Death Star's defences were enough, despite not being suitable for small fighters, and it was only Vader going out himself that nearly saved the entire station. Military hubris and underestimating the enemy is a running theme.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've always seen this as a load of military posturing. In the final battle there a grand total of like 30 Rebel ships. A lot of the downfall of the Death Star was due to hubris, such as Tarkin feeling the Death Star's defences were enough, despite not being suitable for small fighters, and it was only Vader going out himself that nearly saved the entire station. Military hubris and underestimating the enemy is a running theme.

Spot on , hell is Peter Cushing's performance not the absolute embodiment of an arrogant, pompous , dismissive, high on his own sense of grandeur military leader? Plenty of examples in history of leaders like that who paid the price for their delusion of believing they were invincible

mrprime

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm done funding the BBC, won't be paying next years license fee and will cut the cable. Not specifically over this article, that would be a bit extreme - but it does help reinforce my decision.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite the take, not going to click because it's the dumbest thing I've read in a headline.

Yes, let's blame a movie for being so good and setting so many standards and doing this so well that no other future movie taking from it could measure up.

Next up: Citizen Kane isn't the best film, it's actually the worst film. Obviously, guys.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I like the one with yoda.......lol

I mean yogurt and pizza the hutt

Deleted member 63846

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Whatever this article was trying to achieve, who cares. Here's the worst films of each trilogy: Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi, and then The Last Jedi. The best ones of each trilogy are as follows: Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, and then Force Awakens. You're welcome everybody but as a bonus: Rogue One is terrible and Solo is actually quite enjoyable just leave your baggage behind.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Only on Era could people see an article like this, one written by a professional journalist for the BBC, and think:

"This must be a deep meta--commentary on how wrong TLJ haters on the internet are."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only on Era could people see an article like this, one written by a professional journalist for the BBC, and think:

"This must be a deep meta--commentary on how wrong TLJ haters on the internet are."
So we're not being worked into a shoot, brother ?

I'm so confused at this point. LOL.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

If anything it should show that the ST failed to make any sense. So far they destroyed 2 Death Stars and defeated Vader and the Emperor (heh). But they try to ESB again with another Death Star (bigger, badder, and blastier!) and an entirely different empire sect for some reason and another Emperor stand in. Among other things.

But wait there's more! They try to ESB again after the bigger, badder, blastier Death Star is destroyed (3-0 Rebels Resistance?) and the Empire First Order comes back with a vengeance....again, and they chase the Rebels to their home base which has traded snow for salt and they want everyone to know.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was a child when ESB came out, I can say as a child that ESB was my least favorite. The bad guys won, basically, and it ends on a cliffhanger that didn't get resolved for years. For what was basically an action movie for children, it was a bummer. It wasn't until I was a teen/adult that I fully appreciated ESB, although I still like RoTJ more. All of this is subjective and that's fine. You can be a fan of whatever. It's the same reason why people who were kids when the prequels came out don't think they are hot trash, whereas I loathe them.