• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much does Audi pay this team to literally smell things??? According to this, Audi has a "Nose Team" whose job is to literally smell things:

twitter.com

Audi on Twitter

“I don’t know who needs this, but… here’s some pictures of the Audi Nose Team hard at work.”

www.thedrive.com

Audi Has an Entire Team of People Who Just Smell Things

That new-car smell doesn't just magically happen.

Since 1985, Audi's quietest group of heroes: the "Nose Team," have diligently worked to make sure that the manufacturer's smell science was on-point. Their goal was simple, to make sure Audi vehicles don't emit foul odors inside the cabin. This means making sure that the vehicle has no strong chemical smell fresh off of the line and won't stink like a wet dog when you open the door on a hot summer day.

This isn't as simple as hanging an air freshener on the rearview mirror. Audi's scientists know that it's impossible to have an odor-free car, so instead of attempting to mask the scents, they aim for the material and chemicals used during the manufacturing process to be as neutral as possible. If the leather smells a bit too much like fish oil or the floor mats like onions, the team sends the product back to the drawing board.

One of Audi's chemists, Heiko Lüßmann-Geiger, has lead a five-person sniffing team at Audi's Bavarian Quality Center since the early 2000s. He explained vehicle comfort as being a "pyramid", noting that the smell given off by a vehicle is one of the most foundational comfort features that can make or break vehicle ownership.

The job isn't done once the vehicle leaves the lot, however. Audi says that it also randomly pulls production vehicles into the laboratory to ensure that vehicles don't begin to emit unpleasant smells after they leave showroom floors. If an odor begins to present itself, the team evaluates if something in the manufacturing process has changed, or if a parts supplier is using new materials. And there's a lot to go over inside of a vehicle.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Product design is some crazy shit. I saw an interview with the vice president of gm and he talked about how a team in one country would design something, only to have him having a 3 am emergency meeting with a team in another country so they can explain why the design was bad, because it symbolized death in the local culture.

The feature, red upholstery.

Feb 1, 2018
Product design is some crazy shit. I saw an interview with the vice president of gm and he talked about how a team in one country would design something, only to have him having a 3 am emergency meeting with a team in another country so they can explain why the design was bad, because it symbolized death in the local culture.

The feature, red upholstery.

Yeah, that's just a GM thing. They care about all the wrong things

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
smell is the #1 most overrated sense, even considering the dozens of new ones i see on tumblr and shit.

smell, emotionally, can only make you grossed out or sad.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really shocked. You're buying a luxury product that literally encapsulates you, so they're just putting that little extra pizzazz and engineering into the olfactory experience.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That's true of every German car maker. They even have people who just enter the cars and just feel the interior surfaces and rate them. Again why German cars have class leading interior quality.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe fleeing is a better descriptor. fleeting feelings of sadness are potentially more disturbing than fleeting feelings of happiness are worth it.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's just a GM thing. They care about all the wrong things
This is stuff that happens to every car maker who sells his cars in over 100 countries. Every country has it's own regulations and cultural needs. Chinese car buyers do not buy fabric seats (no matter the quality) and would rather buy cheap plastic (fake leather) seat covers, they also have this thing where the rear passenger's (being driven in china is quite the thing) want to have a view on the speedometer and map. And the rear seats in general are of high importance because even people who drive themselves ride a lot with their parents in the back, needs to be nice there for them. "We chat" needs to be implemented in the cars os or they will not buy it. In Saudi Arabia a car needs to have analog AM radio. In Russia the Krim needs to be displayed as Russians territory in the sat nav or the car cant legally be sold there. US customers need to have cup holders for these huge fucking cups that would scare the rest of the world etc. The list goes on and on.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I can confirm new Audi vehicles smell really nice.

Although, the best placebo smell I've ever had the chance to experience when buying a new product was when I purchased my HD600 headphones. That smell Sennheiser pour into that unboxing and headphones was so incredible; but sadly, that unique smell went completely away with time.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this true of most brands aiming to be perceived as luxury ones? Apple probably doesn't randomly spray stuff in their boxes either lol

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
If a car smell gives me or any of my passengers any sort of nausea, you can bet I won't be getting in any of their cars.

This is absolutely something they should have a team dedicated to.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this true of most brands aiming to be perceived as luxury ones? Apple probably doesn't randomly spray stuff in their boxes either lol
I've been to meetings with RD folks where we just smell packaging. Granted, this was in food manufacturing for a large company, but I assume this would apply.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If a car smell gives me or any of my passengers any sort of nausea, you can bet I won't be getting in any of their cars.

This is absolutely something they should have a team dedicated to.

I don't doubt that BMW or Mercedes would also be doing the same thing. It's not like either they or probably many of the other manufacturers aren't aware of what goes on inside each other.

These companies are absolutely gargantuan and have revenues the size of a small nation. They probably look at and test all kinds of things.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The cars may smell good but they have terrible mouthfeel. Would not recommend