• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We get 100+ threads on how pretty every individual fucking Resi Evil woman is.

And we also get shit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 female character designs far too much in this industry.

But sure, people are complaining about a thread like this existing, and needing desperately the counterpart. lmao.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Just because they seem the same on a surface level doesn't make something a double standard. Double standards only exist when the only difference that leads to different treatment is something irrelevant to the issue at hand. So if we lived in a society where men and women were always treated equally and faced the exact same level of issue with regards to sexualization, it'd be a double standard. But we don't live in such a society and women face far more issues in regards to this type of thing, which means different standards are justified in this case
I can understand that, and I agree that we need to be more sensitive towards women, but at the same time, if objectifying women is wrong, and it is, aren't, at the very least, the posts in this thread objectifying men just as wrong?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oct 25, 2017
A few pointers on why this thread isn't problematic but an "attractive females in video games" thread is:

1. Attractive men are barely ever discussed or "allowed" in the gaming space - a lot of men assume their power fantasy leads are attractive to women & gay + bi men when in a lot of cases that isn't true. That alone allows for a more nuanced discussion.
  2. You don't have to go far to talk about attractive women. I've seen lots of people talk about how pretty they find Tifa/Aerith/Jessie in the FFVII thread, for example, and that's not a problem (so long as it isn't creepy). Not every thread on gender need a counterpart.
  3. "Females" is a real creepy thing to say
  4. Do you really think it would go well?
  5. Do you really think it would go well?
  6. We already have a couple of threads dedicated to discussing the design of women in video games, but they encourage deeper discussion than "I want to have sex with 2B". Just as the best posts in this thread aren't "I wanna bone down with Biggs"

Praise sister!

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This forum is about social progressivism at most costs, frankly. Not always bad, but it means potentially harmless conversation is limited if it is potentially harmful.

would have been better if the other guy chose a different name for the other thread. Still not sure how it would have gone.
This forum also doesn't allow that kind of talk about characters that are underage real or otherwise(how i got my first ban in 16 years) based on US law. The reaction thread to this opened with a 15-year-old.

Anywho:

Jordur from Valkyria Azure Revolution
latest

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Geralt, Leon, Cloud, Nathan Drake, Joel, Dante...

Also, I'm yet to see a man streamer crying because his clothes are not "sexy enough" for the audience. So no, not the same.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This forum also doesn't allow that kind of talk about characters that are underage real or otherwise(how i got my first ban in 16 years) based on US law. The reaction thread to this opened with a 15-year-old.

Yeah I wondered about that, having never played that game, but I've seen screens. Also he didn't start with an image (low content) but that might have also laid bare his choice.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
And we also get shit like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 female character designs far too much in this industry.

But sure, people are complaining about a thread like this existing, and needing desperately the counterpart. lmao.
I was actually arguing for the opposite. If objectification of one is disallowed the other should be too. I would argue for the one about women to be inappropriate as well.

I also see thirsty posts about men all the time. There's just as many comments about male RE characters as female RE characters, especially on this forum. How many times do we hear about how hot Chris is or recently, Carlos? A lot.

I realize the dynamics are different but still. I won't raise more of a fuss about it but it does seem to present a rather glaring double standard to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Anywho:

Jordur from Valkyria Azure Revolution
latest
Yea, that on the other hand is weird. The thread should be men only.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a horrible picture, what'd make the most sense? Just removing the obstacle altogether.
I mean yes, and there are other versions with that as a third option, but it's not really relevant to this thread since we (as in the resetera community) can't just decide to end societal sexism that easily and so we have to work within the framework of the society we live in for now

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I can understand that, and I agree that we need to be more sensitive towards women, but at the same time, if objectifying women is wrong, and it is, aren't, at the very least, the posts in this thread objectifying men just as wrong?

Here's a genuine question for you then; Does this thread make you feel lesser or excluded from Video Gaming as a hobby?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I was actually arguing for the opposite. If objectification of one is disallowed the other should be too. I would argue for the one about women to be inappropriate as well.

I also see thirsty posts about men all the time. There's just as many comments about male RE characters as female RE characters, especially on this forum. How many times do we hear about how hot Chris is or recently, Carlos? A lot.

I realize the dynamics are different but still. I won't raise more of a fuss about it but it does seem to present a rather glaring double standard to me.

There's difference in saying Chris is hot and saying Jill is ruined because they removed her sexy outfit.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Rig of Dead or Alive.

47434276831_8e1eeedb6e_o.png

49765901597_16e1c613de_o.png

49765575161_194552a3db_o.png

They even gave him a butt, which is pretty much unheard of male video game characters:

47368118662_e4ae2e343f_o.png

Can I just sidecar this comment and say how hilarious it is when you start noticing all the tricks developers use to hide male butts from the player? Capes, long coats, bags, the works. Once you start noticing you can't stop seeing all these odd things specifically designed to cover the butt.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

This is where I stand. I totally understand the admiring of an attractive character, but when it becomes objectifying, it's wrong no matter the gender.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
User Banned (permanent): Sexist trolling; prior serious bans for bigotry and dismissing concerns of minority and marginalized folk
"males" yikes

Oct 25, 2017
What is interesting as well is how the men in this thread are being depicted. Outside of a few outliers, the men in this thread are mostly simply shirtless as opposed to wearing the ABSOLUTE bare minimum of cloth and string as many poorly depicted women are in games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What is interesting as well is how the men in this thread are being depicted. Outside of a few outliers, the men in this thread are mostly simply shirtless as opposed to wearing the ABSOLUTE bare minimum of cloth and string as many poorly depicted women are in games.

Also, they aren't underage.

The reaction thread to this (that was closed) started with a minor lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, just to quote myself

Fan mod.

Again,

------>Is it making you feel in anyway insecure?<------

We both know the answer to this question, and therein lies the difference. And it's because of how people have historically been treated differently when it comes to character design. Well, not that differently, in that men and women are often designed to appeal to straight men. To emphasize, you'll also notice the lack of suggestive poses and/or slight nudity in this thread. Or the fact that the vast majority of the characters named were not intended to be talked about in such a way. That changes entirely when you switch gears. Where you'll find several pieces of concept art with notes stating the intention:
18lq92qyl1dnujpg.jpg

This is real concept art and real notes on adjustments that "needed" to be made to the character design. So if you can find me a concept art of a male character with the word "kinky to show the playful side" and "expose their belly" or anything remotely resembling that intention please be my guest. Otherwise:
0t2dXyo.gif

The best part is that at least one person reading this will miss the point entirely and look for an incredibly rare example of a genuinely sexualized male character

Any complaint about "but why can't we have a females thread" has the exact same energy as this:
source.gif

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love all the people asking "why can't we have a thread about hot babes in vidya geims??". Fucking lol.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
WxlTH9o.jpg

Ifan ben-Mezd. Romancing him was a fun time. His personality was not what I expected and refreshing.

FINALLY someone in this thread with some taste! Romancing him is one of my favorite video game things I've done in the past few years.

And to add to this, Reinhardt from Overwatch, Heidegger from FFVII Remake, Kaid and Maestro from R6 Siege:
82f97ddcdeebf339984b6e39b7a55bcd.png
296d85c30f23198153af804d0bc9935c.png

0df9927314c109894d1bfb0d9a37dc23.png
d085c3c1ce7054311200ce9cad4628a6.png

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
i mean just look at the characters posted and compare them with other female characters from the same game. For example, Cloud vs Tifa, and tell me about double standards.

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
Not this thread being mostly straights posting stupid looking characters or their male power fantasy, for once this ain't for you.
Anyways

Danganronpa-V3-Rantaro-Amami-Cosplay-disfraz-Unisex-Halloween-uniformes-para-carnaval-de-Top-pantal-n-A461.jpg_q50.jpg

latest

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Here's a genuine question for you then; Does this thread make you feel lesser or excluded from Video Gaming as a hobby?
When there are guys modded to be shirtless exclusively for sex appeal, then yes. However, the idea of a thread dedicated to good, attractive character designs doesn't bother me. That being said, objectification is morally wrong, regardless of how I personally feel when I see this (and the thirsty posts and overly sexual designs do make me feel uncomfortable).

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
men have such bad taste in men good god
lmao
Most aren't even shirtless at all, but are fully dressed, and even when stylized, are often appropriately attired for their profession. They are also not posing in a sexually provocative or suggestive way, for the most part.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well we can't remove sexism from society that easiily.
I mean yes, and there are other versions with that as a third option, but it's not really relevant to this thread since we (as in the resetera community) can't just decide to end societal sexism that easily and so we have to work within the framework of the society we live in for now
Sometimes obstacles can't be outright removed. It doesn't invalidate the point of the pic unless you think all obstacles are as trivial as a fence.
Those are just band-aids/temporary solutions though, it's impossible to even address every obstacle. Equity as a solution means there'll always be sexism because it's always coming from a point of male dominance, and as we can see it's constant battles to just make minor changes.