• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Atty. Gen. William Barr has assembled a team to review controversial counterintelligence decisions made by Justice Department and FBI officials, including actions taken during the probe of the Trump campaign in the summer of 2016, according to a person familiar with the matter.

This indicates that Barr is looking into allegations that Republican lawmakers have been pursuing for more than a year — that the investigation into President Trump and possible collusion with Russia was tainted at the start by anti-Trump bias in the FBI and Justice Department.

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who's a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, has already pledged to pursue the issue in the Judiciary Committee he leads.

"Once we put the Mueller report to bed, once Barr comes to the committee and takes questions about his findings and his actions, and we get to see the Mueller report, consistent with law, then we are going to turn to finding out how this got off the rails," he said in a March 28 interview with Fox News.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-william-barr-review-fbi-trump-probe-20190410-story.html

The GOP is finally getting their investigation into the investigation.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really need to see this report before it gets buried. The GOP and all of Trump stooges are working overtime to control this narrative.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That makes me think we're not even close to done if they're trying to shore up to cut at the FBI

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hell. The juice in the report must be something else if they are doing this or it's a warning to stop them going further. The authorities need to keep turning the screw. Seems like Trump getting a second term is the only thing that will keep them dragging him and others to prison in handcuffs.

Obstruction 2.0

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the report will be released soon, and it has some bad, bad stuff in it, so the GOP needs to have this investigation going on so they can deflect. Nothing in the report will matter, because now all that matters is the process by which the report was prepared.

Eagerly waiting to see how fast the establishment media falls for this obvious ploy.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Bet they find shit against the FBI and Democrats in less than a year. It's going to be bullshit but they just want something to smear them with to help in 2020.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... Will Muller have to do Investigation 2 the blah blah Boogaloo with new Obstruction allegations?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the political calculus for the democrats is always to drop things lest they come off too partisan, but republicans go full fucking infowars for years and no one gives a fuck.

But it's because they're so unhinged Democrats can't investigate proper issues without seeming too much like them...

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally certain that his summary wasn't some corrupt bullshit and that he's a standup guy.

Said fucking no one. Fuck this piece of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the political calculus for the democrats is always to drop things lest they come off too partisan, but republicans go full fucking infowars for years and no one gives a fuck.

But it's because they're so unhinged Democrats can't investigate proper issues without seeming too much like them...
Big traditional Democrat donors apparently don't want things to change too much, hence the official don't rock the boat policy.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The reaction of some people to Barr's summary gets more hilarious by the day.

Do we not see now that this guy is Trump's crony? As bad as Sessions was, at the absolute very least he took his role seriously enough that he needed to remove himself from
direct influence over investigations of the President. Now Barr is outwardly acting as his "fixer" in the DOJ.

Mueller needs to be subpeonaed so we can actually get the full story of what is in the report. I don't trust this guy to release it without serious redactions which would implicate the President in obstruction or other crimes.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, sounds exactly like something Donald Trump would order one of his subordinates to do.

Totally politically-biased, and for Trump, face-saving.

I wonder if we'll ever see the full Mueller report now, since Donald is apparently terrified of it going public and wants to undercut it from even being considered a credible investigation. Even though we've had numerous indictments for multiple crimes.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking hell. The juice in report must be something else if they doing this or it's a warning to stop them going further. The authorities need to keep turning the screw. Seems like Trump getting a second term is the only thing that will keep them dragging him and others to prison in handcuffs.
Trump has been taking on the FBI for over a year now, and it looks like he's beating them.

It's optimistic to think "This is his way of trying to bury the report" and not "This is yet another step towards American dictatorship, where the president punishes those who dare to investigate him." Trump isn't scared of the report, his base has already dismissed it and Barr will ensure any damaging details never come to light, his only concern is maintaining a stranglehold on the Republican Party and replacing all dissenters with loyalists.

Let's not kid ourselves again here. The lack of indictments hitting anyone with "Trump" in their name was a huge victory for him, and it's looking more and more like he's going to get away with anything and everything he chooses to do until he's out of office.

We've seen what your average rich person can get away with. How do we seriously expect to take down billionaire president who has total oversight of investigations into his own misdeeds? Vote him out, that's the only way.

Report needs to be leaked to block this.
The White House would immediately release their own versions of the "leaked" report with conflicting information. It would just make things more confusing.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
So Barr can catch an obstruction charge at the end right? I don't think he's given the report to Schiff or either intelligence committee yet.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I man nothing ever goes wrong when those in power form their own secret police right?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
is Trump gonna get Obama? he couldnt jail Hillary so why not use his powers to jail Obama for instructing the FBI to start an illegal investigation on his campaign, or at least for ok'ing it?

i can totally see it happen. yep, makes sense, thats where this timeline is heading.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This will just force the house to subpoena the report, and Mueller.

I'm wondering if the report contains the pee incident :)

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong to feel that some of this is at the blame of how Mueller handed in his report? How did he not see this shit coming from a mile away? He spent 2 years researching and investigating these goons. Did he really think they were all of a sudden going to follow the rule of law and do things the right way?

They have obstructed and muddied the waters at every single turn. Now they are attempting to turn the blame on the FBI and Mueller's own team. How did he not see this coming?

There should have been a dead mans switch or some sort of back up plan. You cant write a report about the enemy, hand the report to said enemy, and then expect them to release it honestly to the world. Where was the foresight?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm sure they'll be looking into how the Republican nominee kept asking for an investigation into Hillary, then the Republican head of the FBI went against DoJ rules to tell Congress that the FBI had re-opened an investigation into Hillary just before the election, which they closed just after the election after finding nothing, thus gifting the Republican nominee the Presidency.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it wrong to feel that some of this is at the blame of how Mueller handed in his report? How did he not see this shit coming from a mile away? He spent 2 years researching and investigating these goons. Did he really think they were all of a sudden going to follow the rule of law and do things the right way?

They have obstructed and muddied the waters at every single turn. Now they are attempting to turn the blame on the FBI and Mueller's own team. How did he not see this coming?

There should have been a dead mans switch or some sort of back up plan. You cant write a report about the enemy, hand the report to said enemy, and then expect them to release it honestly to the world. Where was the foresight?

Obviously he knew. What did you expect him to do, break the law and announce his findings in public? That's not his role. He'll get to tell his story to Congress when he is called to testify. If you're worried about Republicans obscuring the facts, then it's the Democrats' job to make sure the public understands that's exactly what's going on. It's not Mueller's job.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I man nothing ever goes wrong when those in power form their own secret police right?
R7wsSmS.jpg

Oct 26, 2017

According to the law he had no other way of handing in the report. It's Barr and the GOP that is now perverting the law, for "fear of it leaking". IF that is truly a concern then they should clamp down and issue an investigation on who leaked it if that even happens. Congress needs the full report and underlying evidence to fulfill their constitutional duties we elected them there to do.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd only need to replace the redacted parts, and I'm sure Barr gave them full access to the report weeks ago (hence why he wouldn't comment on whether the WH had seen it yesterday).

I don't think we have to worry about replacements, the Mueller team has already voiced their displeasure and all they'd have to do is say "they changed it." That'd call a shitstorm.

But all Barr and Company have to do is say it's of national security or some BS reason and just block it out. There's no way they're going to keep anything super damaging in it and I expect pretty much blacked out page after page.