• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
captain-kidd-s-buffet.jpg

The famously terrible Captain Kidds $8.99 buffet closed it's doors permanently today.

The restaurant, which sat literally across the street from the Disneyland entryway on Harbor Drive was world-renown for it's 5 Star Cuisine. Outstanding and timeless pirate decor; and giving potentially thousands of people various degrees of food poisoning every year.

It was crowned the worst restaurant in Anaheim multiple years in a row, and frankly no trip to Disneyland was complete without at least passing by this hallowed ground.

I am not too proud to admit that I ate at Captain Kidds several times throughout my life, and while I'd never actually recommend anybody go there...it had it's charm. And speaking as a cheap motherfucker all you can eat lukewarm spaghetti and terrible ribs for $8.99 look a whole lot better compared to what Disneyland charges for only moderately better food.

God Speed Captain Kidds. You'll be remembered in my heart.

Can't have SHIT in Anaheim.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Gone to Disneyland a couple times and never heard of this place. Still, RIP to childhood mainstays.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I ate there once because a friend suggested we go after we left Disneyland.

Pretty much stopped taking his suggestions for places to eat after that day.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The redhead must have made Kidd walk the plank after his food made her vomit overboard

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be long now until Disney grabs hold of all of Harbor blvd now that its captain has fallen.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I bet the wokes did this.
Fucking Millennials, can't even handle a little bit of food poisoning.

SMH
Savage, I need more stories

THE 10 BEST Restaurants in Anaheim (Updated March 2024)

Best Dining in Anaheim, Orange County: See 64,209 Tripadvisor traveler reviews of 951 Anaheim restaurants and search by cuisine, price, location, and more.

www.yelp.com

Captain Kidd's Family Restaurant - Anaheim, CA

Specialties: Family Buffet Restaurant With Facilities for Large Groups and Parties. We accommodate Schools, Churches and other large groups with Spring Break and Summer being the busiest times so call early to secure your reservation. Established 1994. Established in 1994. Captain Kidd's...

Some of the reviews are hilarious.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Millennials, can't even handle a little bit of food poisoning.

SMH

THE 10 BEST Restaurants in Anaheim (Updated March 2024)

Best Dining in Anaheim, Orange County: See 64,209 Tripadvisor traveler reviews of 951 Anaheim restaurants and search by cuisine, price, location, and more.

www.yelp.com

Captain Kidd's Family Restaurant - Anaheim, CA

Specialties: Family Buffet Restaurant With Facilities for Large Groups and Parties. We accommodate Schools, Churches and other large groups with Spring Break and Summer being the busiest times so call early to secure your reservation. Established 1994. Established in 1994. Captain Kidd's...

The thumbnail in that one link ...

o.jpg

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal

As a recent parolee, I pride myself on only treating myself to the best, and this place did not disappoint! I couldn't believe for $8 that I could gorge myself on all the lukewarm spaghetti, undercooked burger patties, and chicken nugget rocks I wanted! The meat carver must have sensed my shame as I wandered back up for a third triangular chunk as he refused to make eye contact and I appreciated that. The pizza selection was awesome as the choices were pepperoni pizza and pizza with the pepperonis picked off. Chef Kidd must have went to Kraft Culinary School Of Cheesy Mac, as when i closed my eyes, I was instantly transported back to the foster home I was raised where we got our mac n cheese piping hot on the outside but frozen in the middle. The blackened pineapple cake was excellent just as advertised, with the way the cherry shriveled on top and the unique way they took away the moistness. Also shout out to the mixologist who came to the table and refilled my half cup of sprite with water, giving me a spritzer at no extra cost. If you're the type of person who hates to spend more than $8 for food or walk more than a block...this is a place for you

Gold

loco

Jan 6, 2021
That place is awful but the hotel near it is my go to every time we go. Just hit up the IHOP (kids eat free deal) next door.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We usually stay at the hotel next to this place but have never once gone here. We have gone to the Denny's.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I never walked in that place but you could tell it was nasty just by seeing the price, lol.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When we first started going, we'd be at hotels way down the street. We'd always walk by with a morbid curiosity. One trip we arrived too late to do much so it was an "eh, we'll try it" vibe.

A mistake we made just the once.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was tempted to go in constantly when I went to Disneyland a few years back. I was always hungry leaving the parks and kept going 'it can't be that bad, I bet it's just cheap food, I like cheap food. And it's pirate themed!'

Glad I didn't go. Even the actual good buffets at WDW gave me tummy troubles (that's on me for eating my weight in spaghetti and fish at Cape May Cafe though).

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the food in Downtown Disney is bad.

This isn't Downtown Disney, this is that strip of hotels/cheap food on Harbor Blvd just outside. Kidd's was (apparently) just nasty shit. DD is hit and miss on restaurants (why is Tortilla Joe's not revamped by now?) but nothing this bad.

Might've be good for a family on a budget but if you're dropping cash for Disneyland you can pay a little extra for better food.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
captain-kidd-s-buffet.jpg

The famously terrible Captain Kidds $8.99 buffet closed it's doors permanently today.

The restaurant, which sat literally across the street from the Disneyland entryway on Harbor Drive was world-renown for it's 5 Star Cuisine. Outstanding and timeless pirate decor; and giving potentially thousands of people various degrees of food poisoning every year.

It was crowned the worst restaurant in Anaheim multiple years in a row, and frankly no trip to Disneyland was complete without at least passing by this hallowed ground.

I am not too proud to admit that I ate at Captain Kidds several times throughout my life, and while I'd never actually recommend anybody go there...it had it's charm. And speaking as a cheap motherfucker all you can eat lukewarm spaghetti and terrible ribs for $8.99 look a whole lot better compared to what Disneyland charges for only moderately better food.

God Speed Captain Kidds. You'll be remembered in my heart.

Can't have SHIT in Anaheim.

RIP Captain Kidds. You will be missed.

Edit: we went there because my kids were into pirates..and you can't beat 8.99. It was the worst shit we ever ate.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I was worried about Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, as their availability calendar was completely blocked out when I checked a few weeks back, but it looks like things have opened back up.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Always wondered about that place, never once thought to try it.

I was bummed when the Del Taco near the 5 freeway closed down. That stuff hit the spot after getting home late from the HOB.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried about Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, as their availability calendar was completely blocked out when I checked a few weeks back, but it looks like things have opened back up.
Yeah that's the place we stay. You can't beat it. We usually stumble in there dead tired from the day, take a shower and conk out. Nice and close to the park. Highly recommended.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even possibly believe the posts saying you've gone to disneyland (insert large quantity here) of times, and haven't seen this place. It's LITERALLY right across the street from the entrance on Harbor.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I can't even possibly believe the posts saying you've gone to disneyland (insert large quantity here) of times, and haven't seen this place. It's LITERALLY right across the street from the entrance on Harbor.

Heck I've gone to Disneyland three times and Blizzcon quite often, and I didn't realize this place existed.

Then again, we usually just go to Garden Grove for KBBQ afterwards.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen this place for as long as I can remember. It's probably more noticeable than the park every time I passed through there. But I never actually ate there before.
It's a prime location though. A location like that would have never failed.