• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
My post wasn't whataboutism, it was suggesting two similar situations episodes apart are likely to be received differently because a large portion of the fandom is enthusiastically hateful of one of the characters.

I fundamentally disagree with the point you make after that, because I don't see Gabi trying to kill Kaya out of racism. She was racist before Kaya revealed she knew they were Mareleyan-Eldians but had not tried to kill her. She only tried to kill Kaya after her secret was revealed. There's nothing absurd about looking at Gabi's situation, where you spend a whole episode watching her crack under anxiety fear and hatred, wide-eyed and clearly under pressure, and understanding that she understood Kaya knowing who she was implied a danger to her.

If she were killing out of racism, she would've killed everyone in the house. She was afraid and trying to survive. Hey violent nature, much like Eren's, leads her to action before resorting to thinking about things.
That isn't really how racism manifests itself that people just wildly kill people when they realize they are of another race. Gabi believes Eldians on Paradis are inherently dangerous and evil and she carries that into the mindset that she needs to kill them before they kill her. She even goes on a condemning determinist rant about how Eldians are burdened by their past sins and have to atone for them even before Kaya reveals that she knew they were from Marley. Gabi already believes the only way Paradis can atone is to die since they are responsible for the greatest atrocities in her mind and Kaya revealing that she already knew they were from Marley is little more than the justification that Gabi needed in that moment to try to take her life. Falco obviously does not hold the same beliefs and despite feeling the same fear of what may happen, he realizes it's not some supposed "kill or be killed" situation.

What did Gabi say immediately after Falco stopped her?

"The devil revealed her true colors! I knew something was up! Island devils can't be this kind!" More racist confirmation bias that Kaya must have some hidden agenda because she was being kind to them because they can't possible be that way since it's against their nature.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, Floch is the worse.

He's been a opportunistic, cowardly, vindictive piece of shit with a douchey haircut even when WIT was drawing him but now that he's a full-on imperialist, he's been elevated to a massive piece of shit.

Anyelocp

Mar 28, 2019
User Warned and Threadbanned (3 Days): Hinting at Manga Spoilers
Edit - removed the comment since it was viewed as a 'hint'

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Levi is the only person standing between the Jeagerists and some form of global genocide?

I don't like his odds, but there's no denying he's the best man for the job.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
When Floch was first introduced, I would've never thought him becoming such an important character.
And they made him so easy to hate.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hairflip.gif

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
That isn't really how racism manifests itself that people just wildly kill people when they realize they are of another race. Gabi believes Eldians on Paradis are inherently dangerous and evil and she carries that into the mindset that she needs to kill them before they kill her. She even goes on a condemning determinist rant about how Eldians are burdened by their past sins and have to atone for them even before Kaya reveals that she knew they were from Marley. Gabi already believes the only way Paradis can atone is to die since they are responsible for the greatest atrocities in her mind and Kaya revealing that she already knew they were from Marley is little more than the justification that Gabi needed in that moment to try to take her life. Falco obviously does not hold the same beliefs and despite feeling the same fear of what may happen, he realizes it's not some supposed "kill or be killed" situation.

What did Gabi say immediately after Falco stopped her?

"The devil revealed her true colors! I knew something was up! Island devils can't be this kind!" More racist confirmation bias that Kaya must have some hidden agenda because she was being kind to them because they can't possible be that way since it's against their nature.

I think you're using her racism as confirmation bias, to be honest. You refuse to believe that Gabi saw any present danger to herself from Kaya, but the timeline of events goes

Meet Kaya -> Not trying to kill Kaya -> Kaya revealed she knows their identities -> Tries to kill Kaya

It doesn't absolve her of racism, but it sure implies that her reason for wanting to kill Kaya is that she's a clear and present threat to her mission of staying incognito until she can escape (or find Zeke or whatever), and not racism. If she wanted to kill Kaya solely for being an Eldian, she had ample opportunity to do so when she met her (and it was suggested she might, as she grabbed a rock to attack, but put it down when Kaya didn't present a danger to her) but chose not to until after her secret was outed, but you attribute that action to the racism she had from the beginning instead of the inciting action. She can both be racist, and also violent for the sake of survival, without her every action being attributed to the former. That she said something racist after the fact does not change it was clearly not the inciting element in her action.

Was she in danger? Obviously not from our perspective. But she saw danger, and it shouldn't be that hard to understand why. She killed an enemy soldier, was abducted and taken to their country and imprisoned. She killed a guard to escape, and was on the run in a territory of her enemies, then had her identity outed by someone she did not know. I can arrive to an understanding of why she thought she had to kill Kaya much easier than I can for why Kaya tried to kill Gabi.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I liked that they finally showed how Marley conquers other nations. They somehow get the local Eldian population to ingest Zeke's spinal fluid so he can transform them into titans. I think they more or less have been fighting wars like the old Eldian empire.
It's no surprise that foreign nations hate Eldians even more than Marley (according to Udo). Marley doesn't have to fear that their Eldians will transform.

I still fear that my half-joke theory about Zeke is actually true, ie. he just pretends to be fighting for Eldia but is actually full on Eldian self-hatred.
I mean, what purpose does a few titans, that were military leaders, really have in a defensive war against the invasion?

And Levi is ready to finally fight Eren. Hype!

Why do people hate that hair style? I like it...

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Even when kaya saw how psycho gabi was she was still legitimately friends and tried to link her up with other marleyans

real friends

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Zeke's spinal fluid doing what it does was told in what would have been episode 2 in the manga. I'm surprised they held it off this long.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
WOw wow, a back to form after last weeks slowish episode.

Didn't think we would closure to Sasha links in this ep, was a good conclusion.

Can't wait to see Erens convo with Armin and Mikasa

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I can see this put to good use in the UK.
Yeah but how many people want to use a fascist waving a gun as their analogue in the UK? I mean... besides the fascists.

Zeke's spinal fluid doing what it does was told in what would have been episode 2 in the manga. I'm surprised they held it off this long.

It was also spoiled in this thread at the time so it's been really annoying even as an anime watchers to wait so this time for it be revealed. I'm glad it's finally been revealed.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm with you, Kaya. There's no way that Niccolo and Sasha weren't smashing

His reaction came off as if Gabi had killed his girlfriend rather than if Gabi had killed his favorite customer that he crushed on.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
When Nicolo wrecked the shit out of Gabi, everyone in my discord started clapping.
I hated Gabi so much in that scene. Her bigotry was in overdrive, so much that she couldn't see Nicolo's expression clearly showing he was shocked by the realization, and not in a good way, unlike Falco who instantly put 2 and 2 together and realized what was going on.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone get Falco some help
Poor Falco is too good for this fucked up world.
Exactly. Hate Gabi all you want, just leave Falco out of it. He's a precious cinnamon roll who doesn't deserve any of this shit.

I wonder why I like Falco yet can't stand Mikasa, despite them having basically the same role in the story so far (protecting their crazy crush). Maybe it's because Falco has more to him than Gabi and knows she's in the wrong, while Mikasa is clearly in denial and doesn't even seem to fully understand Eren herself (Armin understands him more).

hYAEQSu.jpg

Like, you know you're crazy if Reiner is looking at you like that.

Jan 18, 2018
You can't get rid of 12 years of effective brainwashing and radicalism JUST like that. Especially when the Eldians from paradis stepped on her home. (Her friend got trampled) Gabi is still in revenge mode, she still wants to avenge her people. Even though it's misguided, it makes sense why she is the way she is. She is blinded by revenge,rage and propaganda. She's still a child. It's pretty sad.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I hated Gabi so much in that scene. Her bigotry was in overdrive, so much that she couldn't see Nicolo's expression clearly showing he was shocked by the realization, and not in a good way, unlike Falco who instantly put 2 and 2 together and realized what was going on.
Yep. And it caused Falco to be heavily injured.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Great episode. Mr. Blause's character was set up very nicely way back in that episode with Sasha and Kayak.

The Eren walk-in did indeed have an Armored and Colossus reveal vibe.

I think I like Gabi's character now.

I can't believe we still have to tell manga readers to stop hinting at stuff.

Speaking of things I can't believe: people sticking with the show for this long and missing the point so hard that they're still stanning Eren and Flock. Those two are helping to build an empire of terror.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Wait, Sasha's father was transcribed as Blouse/Blause? lol
He's Herr Braus in German, more common than Blaus. I don't know if Blaus actually exists.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When Nicolo wrecked the shit out of Gabi, everyone in my discord started clapping.

Is it that they find the show too uncomfortable to unpack or dissect so they cheer when a child gets beaten? Did they then boo when he failed to kill the child later? Are they pre-teens themselves?

Anyway, this episode was pretty incredible on a bunch of fronts, but the voice acting was perfect. Kaya's attempt on Gabi was so gutwrenching.

The only thing that struck me as funny was Sasha's dad de-escalating with a Forrest Gump speech.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do we know when exactly the last chapter of the manga is releasing? What date? Just need to make sure to disappear from social media for a couple of days after it lmao.
Maybe someone here knows, I don't follow the manga at all so I only know about it ending because friends have mentioned it, they won't spoil things to me though out of respect, which I appreciate.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I think it's a bit unfortunate that the reveal of the exact mechanics of Zeke's power, his claim regarding what happened at Ragako and the reveal that said claim was not entirely truthful all ended up in the same episode like that. The manga gave the readers time to speculate and connect the dots.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Burned through the new season and got current today. I thought there was 2 more episodes left since crunchyroll's page said "see all videos (74)". It hurts.

Glad I jumped back in. I remember getting super confused with the narrative jumping around in the manga and ended up dropping off maybe just a chapter or two after Gabi and co got introduced.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I just remembered the first episode where we wondered how Zeke could transform these people on command, when we only knew that the fluid does it in mere seconds by itself. But they were sedated, or looked like that.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I think it's a bit unfortunate that the reveal of the exact mechanics of Zeke's power, his claim regarding what happened at Ragako and the reveal that said claim was not entirely truthful all ended up in the same episode like that. The manga gave the readers time to speculate and connect the dots.
It still worked for me.
They gave you just enough time to connect the dots during the episode and I was shook during that scene.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I originally had Levi in my "dead" list. But it seems like they're priming him to be the final "antagonist" of the show. I mean he'll still be dead, but I always imagined him going out in an anticlimactic way that shocks the audience around the halfway point of the final season.

I hope I'm wrong. I want him to destroy Zeke and Eren.