• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I guess my mind must have completely erased this moment, as it made no sense when they showed it.

Yes, seeing it now is amazing.
Back then I didn't understand the context so it was impossible to guess.

They do a very nice job hidding the truth, though. We start with people in togas, so it's weird, and the modern soldiers don't register as much as a result.

It's very well done, they showed a ton and I was still mindblown when they went to the basement.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the Ymir scene, I thought of something completely different.

I thought it was WAY in the past (based on people in like less developed houses, people in Civil War era type uniform with muskets)... like way before our current time which is like a post apocalypse. Like back then we had human civilization but we kept punishing people by turning them into titans and they just ended up taking over instead. I also thought it occurred on the same island/continent of what we now know of Paradis island.

Yeah that was hilariously off lol. Ymir isn't some century year old entity frozen in time due to titan shifting nor was she from the same general area of Paradis island. Hell she probably isn't even from Marley, but one of those Middle Eastern countries that they were in war with in S4.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please continue to dogpile on us, I cannot understand why any of us are still posting in here.

11842.jpg

I understood that posting in the anime-only thread was a crime. There was no other way! The questions had to be answered! A purpose given to me! Only I could do it. Who else could have done it, and come this far? Would they have kept going? The only one who can confirm or deny these theories is me, a manga reader.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
It's fucking crazy how easily you can get spoiled anywhere in the internet, I read a spoiler in Deezer of all places but looked away so fast I only got two words and it was thankfully something probably minor.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem with a super popular IP adaptation. The more popular it is, the more likely some asshole on the internet is going to spoil for you.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got the Colossus and Armor titan spoiled on a fucking music video. Some **** literally just wrote 'Reiner is the Armor Titan, Bertolt is Colossus' That's it.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I feel for you guys.
I'm a Manga reader and just lurk this thread for reactions on new episodes, but I can't imagine how hard it is to avoid spoilers for this show.

Oct 28, 2017
So I just binge watched The Queen's Gambit and I'd like to ask something from the people more familiar with japanese stuff:
Since Eren said multiple times he HAS to move forward, do we have some...idk shogi motive or something going on with the titans? I ruled out chess pretty fast since it only has 6 kinds of chess pieces.
On the Ymir flashbacks: I just tought they were from before the walls and memory wipes (that made technology regress).

Last edited:

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Can somebody tell me when is AOT supposed to finish? Any confirmed nr of episodes? I'm trying to keep away from spoilers.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody tell me when is AOT supposed to finish? Any confirmed nr of episodes? I'm trying to keep away from spoilers.
This season has 16 episodes as of now, so it will probably end mid-late March assuming it's not extended.
They're most likely not going to catch up with the manga in the amount of episodes left though, so it's either going to be extended or have a part 2 sometime in the future

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
This season has 16 episodes as of now, so it will probably end mid-late March assuming it's not extended.
They're most likely not going to catch up with the manga in the amount of episodes left though, so it's either going to be extended or have a part 2 sometime in the future

It's all i needed to know. Thanks a bunch.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Considering the horrible schedule the staff was given this episode looked and flowed really well. Some of the CGI scenes would have been better in 2D but most of the time it worked out. One benefit of CG animation is just the plethora of movement you can depict.
The production could still go to shit but if they can keep up this level I have no worries anymore.

Still fuck Mappa and Kodansha for being greedy fucks.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering the horrible schedule the staff was given this episode looked and flowed really well. Some of the CGI scenes would have been better in 2D but most of the time it worked out. One benefit of CG animation is just the plethora of movement you can depict.
The production could still go to shit but if they can keep up this level I have no worries anymore.

Still fuck Mappa and Kodansha for being greedy fucks.
I'm confused, why are they greedy?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I'm confused, why are they greedy?
Because they take on any and all projects without any regard for their staff and the show they create. Pretty much the whole industry declined the offer to animate season 4 of AoT due to the horrible conditions given by the production committee. Mainly a lack of time and resources. Mappa because they are greedy fucks said "yeah let's go" and that's why a lot of their shows struggle from production issues. That's why they use CGI so much because it enables them to pump out more shows.

So all this praise for Mappa that I've seen recently is quite frankly disturbing to say the least. It's one of the worst studios in the industry currently and if they keep going like this might end up like their predecessor Madhouse.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Because they take on any and all projects without any regard for their staff and the show they create. Pretty much the whole industry declined the offer to animate season 4 of AoT due to the horrible conditions given by the production committee. Mainly a lack of time and resources. Mappa because they are greedy fucks said "yeah let's go" and that's why a lot of their shows struggle from production issues. That's why they use CGI so much because it enables them to pump out more shows.

So all this praise for Mappa that I've seen recently is quite frankly disturbing to say the least. It's one of the worst studios in the industry currently and if they keep going like this might end up like their predecessor Madhouse.
I don't follow the behind the scenes stuff and I don't watch a lot of anime in general (just for context) but fwiw I think this season has looked awesome so far - the last two episodes had some crazy memorable scenes. The CGI horses in the previous seasons looked laughably bad - it was like PS2 Kessen levels of ugly...

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't follow the behind the scenes stuff and I don't watch a lot of anime in general (just for context) but fwiw I think this season has looked awesome so far - the last two episodes had some crazy memorable scenes. The CGI horses in the previous seasons looked laughably bad - it was like PS2 Kessen levels of ugly...
While production issues do show themself in the quality of the anime, that is not always the case. Sometimes the staff despite the inhuman working conditions pull through and still manage to create a great work of art. Especially this episode despite the CG looked decent even good at times.

But being completely honest this whole season is being carried by the strength of the writing. Production-wise it's really just the bare-minimum with the occasional highlight.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
While production issues do show themself in the quality of the anime, that is not always the case. Sometimes the staff despite the inhuman working conditions pull through and still manage to create a great work of art. Especially this episode despite the CG looked decent even good at times.

But being completely honest this whole season is being carried by the strength of the writing. Production-wise it's really just the bare-minimum with the occasional highlight.

Outside of some janky CGI shots this past episode I think rest of the season so far has looked just fine? Like even in pure dialogue episodes Mappa has tried to do more than Wit did and art looks more detailed (especially when it comes to characters).

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Outside of some janky CGI shots this past episode I think rest of the season so far has looked just fine? Like even in pure dialogue episodes Mappa has tried to do more than Wit did and art looks more detailed (especially when it comes to characters).
That's what I would call the bare-minimum. Not a disaster but also nothing special either. The anime certainly doesn't elevate the source material, which to me should be the goal. The character designs are often quite off-model too which tells me that the animation directors can't keep up with the corrections. I think I saw one animator tweet out, before they had to delete the tweets, that the production is a mess and you can see that quite clearly.

To the average viewer it probably looks just fine tho.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I would call the bare-minimum. Not a disaster but also nothing special either. The anime certainly doesn't elevate the source material, which to me should be the goal. The character designs are often quite off-model too which tells me that the animation directors can't keep up with the corrections. I think I saw one animator tweet out, before they had to delete the tweets, that the production is a mess and you can see that quite clearly.

To the average viewer it probably looks just fine tho.

Well I can somewhat agree with that. That is the tale of most of anime productions (with like KyotoAnimation being one exception). I don't know about Ufotable but their works also look good consistently so maybe they also give more time and money for their productions. Overall of course it's sad situation especially when good anime adaption can make the franchise print money (like what happened with Demon Slayer).

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Well I can somewhat agree with that. That is the tale of most of anime productions (with like KyotoAnimation being one exception). I don't know about Ufotable but their works also look good consistently so maybe they also give more time and money for their productions. Overall of course it's sad situation especially when good anime adaption can make the franchise print money (like what happened with Demon Slayer).
I think at this point for Kodansha AoT has run its course. They really just want to create one last big push for the end of the manga which is why they offered such a horrible schedule to a lot of studios with only Mappa willing to do it. Bad situation all around because it seems like it's the animators and overall staff that have to face all the vitriol from those so-called fans, when it's those greedy executives that are at fault.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all think someone's eating WarHammer? Or will she survived?

Kind of a nothing character unless they flesh her out so, I'm thinking her time is up. Doesn't even have to be Eren. In fact it may not be, what happens if he does? Can he choose between attack and war hammer? If he still remains attack and just has war hammer in him but can't use it, I can see someone else eating her just because we haven't gotten to see war hammer in action much and I don't think we'll only get that episode with it.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris

So basically it's the worst studio ever because you're mad they picked season 4 and you don't understand the praise despite the fact that they just released a bunch of amazing show in a row ?
Mappa pretty much saved the AoT anime (because a delayed release for season 4 wasn't going to happen), but yeah let's just hate them for doing a great job I guess.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
So basically it's the worst studio ever because you're mad they picked season 4 and you don't understand the praise despite the fact that they just released a bunch of amazing show in a row ?
Mappa pretty much saved the AoT anime (because a delayed release for season 4 wasn't going to happen), but yeah let's just hate them for doing a great job I guess.
Yikes. See, that's what I meant. Tbh I don't even want to argue about this. Mappa is a mess and they take on way to many projects to the detriment of their own staff. They even admit that and are proud of it. If you don't see what's wrong with that and even attempt to defend them, then you don't really understand the mechanisms of the anime industry. Because studios like Mappa are part of the reason why the industry is getting worse and worse.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I'm more annoyed with people who immediately assume bad faith when they see/hear criticism they don't agree with.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all think someone's eating WarHammer? Or will she survived?

Kind of a nothing character unless they flesh her out so, I'm thinking her time is up. Doesn't even have to be Eren. In fact it may not be, what happens if he does? Can he choose between attack and war hammer? If he still remains attack and just has war hammer in him but can't use it, I can see someone else eating her just because we haven't gotten to see war hammer in action much and I don't think we'll only get that episode with it.
Well with Founding and Attack he seems to have both aspects/powers while keeping the general "Attack Titan form." Like, if he touched a royal while in his titan form I doubt he'd change shape or form, he would just have access to that power. To be honest we don't know how different combos of the 9 would mix so I suppose it is really hard to say. I think specific combos would drastically alter the form forever, like if he had Colossal+Attack he could never not be Colossal-sized lol.

edit: you know thinking about it more it's a little unclear just because he inherited both at the same time. Hmm. Still though, I would imagine the 9 titan lines are grandiose enough that multiple modifiers are always "on."

Last edited:

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So after putting off waiting for the dub I caved and binged all 6 episode(yes I know the first two episodes are dubbed). Got damn the perspective change this season to the reveal of Eren just chillin there in the city. Yup I'm back hooked.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Of course many assume that there will be a second part or a movie to continue the story since 16 episodes won't cover it all but i thought of a worse outcome. Can you imagine them doing an original anime ending to end the season and the story just like many anime did like Death Note and others? 😅

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Of course many assume that there will be a second part or a movie to continue the story since 16 episodes won't cover it all but i thought of a worse outcome. Can you imagine them doing an original anime ending to end the season and the story just like many anime did like Death Note and others? 😅
Nah, the manga will end in April, they have plenty of time to end working in the animation

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what's funny is that as I said I binged all 6 episodes of the final season that came out. So all of a sudden I go on youtube and there's an Attack on Titan video of an event that happened already already in the season. Like I watched no AoT vids on youtube but I'm getting those vids in recommendation after watching the episode on Crunchyroll.