• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also the serums used on the Titan transformation were modified right? Is it possible that there's a difference between Ymir's accidental absorption after being a Titan for so long is different from the intentional one when she was eaten? I don't know since we never saw what happened, but it seems plausible?

Wasn't there a comment in the Reiner flashback episode that their batch of Warriors was much stronger than previous ones?

Could be something to it.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Also the serums used on the Titan transformation were modified right? Is it possible that there's a difference between Ymir's accidental absorption after being a Titan for so long is different from the intentional one when she was eaten? I don't know since we never saw what happened, but it seems plausible?

Maybe? Porco's Jaw has hardening on his face and hands, so maybe he got a dose of Armor or something like Eren did.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
These man are taking liberties I swear lmao.
Yeah not to further dogpile on the manga readers, but I've had a theory tagged as a spoiler because people were accusing me of being a manga reader in the manga thread, to being quoted in the manga thread to be made fun of causing me to end up in there and catching some spoilers. That really burned me on posting in this thread so I've just been keeping my thoughts to myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Yeah not to further dogpile on the manga readers, but I've had a theory tagged as a spoiler because people were accusing me of being a manga reader in the manga thread, to being quoted in the manga thread to be made fun of causing me to end up in there and catching some spoilers. That really burned me on posting in this thread so I've just been keeping my thoughts to myself.

Please continue to dogpile on us, I cannot understand why any of us are still posting in here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
If she does this, she'll kill herself along with him, no way Mikasa lives in a world without Eren, even if he's a monster. Oh and it's not like Eren has too long left 🤔

I mean we saw her do that already back when she thought he died. She resolved to keep living so she can remember him as long as possible.

But then Eren came back and destroyed that development.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
These are very minimal changes.

Compare Eren's Titan form to his Attack Titan form

maxresdefault.jpg

Worlds apart
i was just saying it did change to reflect the characteristics of the jaw titan, i.e. the teeth and claws. it was definitely a very minimal change.

Maybe? Porco's Jaw has hardening on his face and hands, so maybe he got a dose of Armor or something like Eren did.
Since Marcel's Jaw Titan looked exactly the same as Porco's (probably because they were brothers), I think it's likely that Isayama just retconned the Jaw Titan's design to accentuate the claws and teeth later in the manga

Last edited:

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Problem being, Isayama wanted Reiner and Bertolt to recognize Ymir's Titan form.
And sure, from their perspective, I guess they might still realize what's going on even if her Titan form changed significantly to look more like a Jaw Titan, but that would seem a bit too weird/suspicious to the readers/audience, at that point in the story.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Jaw Titan is definitely some convenience and change ideas on Isayama

To handwave it Galliard is a better Titan shifter and he knows how to harden his jaw and claws

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Compare Eren's Titan form to his Attack Titan form

maxresdefault.jpg

Worlds apart
In my head this huge difference was mostly due to Eren's pure titan form being a product of him first transforming into it when he was so young. This totally looks like a little kid titan. After this he doesn't shift into his Attack Titan form for some years, so I'm thinking Eren's Attack Titan form appearance is the result of this early form + age/puberty + flipping on the shifter switch for the first time years later. Titan science is more of an art than a science after all!

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
There's also a big difference between Armin's pure titan form and his Colossal Titan form too (for obvious reasons lol).

It's interesting to see the differences in look and utility that each shifter brings to their own version.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Please manga reader, delete your second paragraph, that hasn't been revealed in the anime. What a huge spoiler, smh.
We don't know that and it doesn't change the fact that it is a huge spoiler for anime only fans.
It's a spoiler for sure
shit I totally thought that had been revealed, my bad
Uhhh I'm an anime only watcher and unless that spoiler post was completely changed, I just rewatched season 3 and Kenny definitely said something along the lines of the ackermann's used to be close to the king and protected him or something.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Some questions I'm still murky about.

So the founding titan's big power is that it can control Titans by roaring.... yet the Female Titan still summons them with her roar in S1, and the beast Titan orders them into formation in S3 so the power doesn't seem all that special? Those are just two specific examples but in general the Titan shifters on paradis all lead armies of Titans whenever they attack so they have to be able to control them right? What's the difference between that and founding?

Secondly, is it correct to assume someone had a shit ton of Titan fluid shots and that's how connies village were turned into Titans? Reiner, Bertholdt or Zeke? I guess it'd be Zeke considering R&B were mainly sticking with the group when it happened.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Dodged a bullet today it seems.. Really want to talk about the anime but to be honest the risk of randomly getting spoiled is so not worth it so I keep it to the sundays: 'wow this episode is awesome' stuff

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some questions I'm still murky about.

So the founding titan's big power is that it can control Titans by roaring.... yet the Female Titan still summons them with her roar in S1, and the beast Titan orders them into formation in S3 so the power doesn't seem all that special? Those are just two specific examples but in general the Titan shifters on paradis all lead armies of Titans whenever they attack so they have to be able to control them right? What's the difference between that and founding?

Secondly, is it correct to assume someone had a shit ton of Titan fluid shots and that's how connies village were turned into Titans? Reiner, Bertholdt or Zeke? I guess it'd be Zeke considering R&B were mainly sticking with the group when it happened.

I don't think Annie could control them, she just attracted their attention as they're meant to be drawn to shifters.

I think Zeke's thing is unique to him, and not the Beast itself, probably because of his Royal blood. Even then in his introduction one of the Titans started to disobey him so he might not even have full control.

Bert and Reiner don't have any control.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Annie could control them, she just attracted their attention as they're meant to be drawn to shifters.

I think Zeke's thing is unique to him, and not the Beast itself, probably because of his Royal blood. Even then in his introduction one of the Titans started to disobey him so he might not even have full control.

Bert and Reiner don't have any control.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Thinking about it harder Annie just summoned them with her roar and they started eating her that wasn't really a command, she can't sic them on people specifically. I guess the Titan armies they have, they're just taking advantage of their eating people instead of commanding them.

As for Zeke - honestly most of my questions keep coming back to him, he needs way more screen time. I wanna know specifically what his powers are as a royal family who possesses something other than the Founding, what his purpose was in going to paradis way after the original four, what kind of person he is honestly and his relationships with the other characters. I mean he's literally there with them in Marley yet Reiner and the newbies still get more screen time, I hope they give Zeke some soon. As a member of the royal family, Eren's half brother, and the entire reason Grisha went into the walls it just screams that he'll be fleshed out more. He's a very important part of this.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit - my one last question I forgot.

the Titans who are abnormals, not Titan shifters or mindless ones but seem to "behave abnormally" is there something I missed or is that just supposed to be for interesting combat setpieces and to flesh out the Titans as an even somewhat diverse race?

the show explains a reason for everything and in a good way, but there's those middle ground abnormal Titans that just seem to be abnormal but aren't as intelligent as Titan shifters.

I guess on that same note, in season 2 it's remarked how there's a new breed of Titan that CAN move after dark. Was that ever explained? Why did it change?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit - my one last question I forgot.

the Titans who are abnormals, not Titan shifters or mindless ones but seem to "behave abnormally" is there something I missed or is that just supposed to be for interesting combat setpieces and to flesh out the Titans as an even somewhat diverse race?

the show explains a reason for everything and in a good way, but there's those middle ground abnormal Titans that just seem to be abnormal but aren't as intelligent as Titan shifters.

I guess on that same note, in season 2 it's remarked how there's a new breed of Titan that CAN move after dark. Was that ever explained? Why did it change?
The abnormals are just random afaik, but are there to mix things up on screen/pages.

And iirc, the season 2 Titans moved after dark because they are the ones Zeke transformed and influenced. At least that's what seems to be what is inferred, as I don't recall any direct explanations.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those things where I call retcon bs on. Ymir ate the Jaw Titan shifter and it neither changed her previous Titan form nor did it give her the Jaw and teeth that the Jaw Titan is famous for. That's some BS, Isayama

It's subtle but eating the Jaw did alter her appearance. The teeth became jagged.

main-qimg-a7ce672a7346e50a6407ce8d7b34a88f

Edit: somehow I missed the reply already pointing this out lol

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Thinking about it harder Annie just summoned them with her roar and they started eating her that wasn't really a command, she can't sic them on people specifically. I guess the Titan armies they have, they're just taking advantage of their eating people instead of commanding them.

As for Zeke - honestly most of my questions keep coming back to him, he needs way more screen time. I wanna know specifically what his powers are as a royal family who possesses something other than the Founding, what his purpose was in going to paradis way after the original four, what kind of person he is honestly and his relationships with the other characters. I mean he's literally there with them in Marley yet Reiner and the newbies still get more screen time, I hope they give Zeke some soon. As a member of the royal family, Eren's half brother, and the entire reason Grisha went into the walls it just screams that he'll be fleshed out more. He's a very important part of this.

I can't see a situation where Zeke isn't a major part of the end game.

In regards to the abnormal they never explained it but I figured it was a case of their human nature informing their behaviour they are titans, like with Connie's mum or Dina Fritz/the smiling Titan seeming to seek Grisha out as she promised she would.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably just variation, much like the size differences. Since titans come in all shapes and sizes, I suppose it's not out of the question that some titans would have varying cognitive skills. There might be some correlation between a human's capabilities and their titan form, but I don't think there has been any such indication.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think we have seen two types of abnormals: the ones that are simply going for the largest group instead of a smaller one, like the one in Trost and Rod; and then the ones that are working more based on some memory like the one described in Ilse her diary, Dina going for Grisha's home, ...

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think we have seen two types of abnormals: the ones that are simply going for the largest group instead of a smaller one, like the one in Trost and Rod; and then the ones that are working more based on some memory like the one described in Ilse her diary, Dina going for Grisha's home, ...
We've also seen from what I recall:
*Climbing and jumping
*Crawling (not unlike the Cart Titan)
*Lord Reiss' collosal
*Running titans, which seem to be the most common
*Ones that focus on something and ignore everything else until they reach it. These also tend to be runners.

I don't remember Titans going towards larger groups being considered as abnormals. Titans in general tend to congregate towards populations and groups through some sense, which is utilized by the Garrison when they retake Trost. Was this in reference to the focused abnormal in the Female Titan arc that ignored the outriders to attack the center of the scout formation?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
We've also seen from what I recall:
*Climbing and jumping
*Crawling (not unlike the Cart Titan)
*Lord Reiss' collosal
*Running titans, which seem to be the most common
*Ones that focus on something and ignore everything else until they reach it. These also tend to be runners.

I don't remember Titans going towards larger groups being considered as abnormals. Titans in general tend to congregate towards populations and groups through some sense, which is utilized by the Garrison when they retake Trost. Was this in reference to the focused abnormal in the Female Titan arc that ignored the outriders to attack the center of the scout formation?
They called the one in Trost that made a beeline for the crowd at the gate an abnormal before Mikasa swoops in and takes it down.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They called the one in Trost that made a beeline for the crowd at the gate an abnormal before Mikasa swoops in and takes it down.
Ah, forgot that one doing something similar. Yeah, there's just some that hyper focus on a target and sprint at it until they reach it. Could be right that gatherings are a part of that focus.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see Eren's titan form speak like beast and warhammer can. Has that happened? I just recall constant screaming with his tongue hanging out.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
I just want to see Eren's titan form speak like beast and warhammer can. Has that happened? I just recall constant screaming with his tongue hanging out.
I think the closest it ever got to forming words was when Eren was blaming Annie for obliterating the Levi Squad.
At this point, I think it's clear it's simply physically unable to speak.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he can. There was that time that Hange was on his shoulder and he couldn't explicitly communicate with her beyond looks and movement.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Would be funny if they could all speak except Eren. Like he is the only Shifter ever that can't.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is insane, I am re-watching the show with my dad, and I had COMPLETELY forgotten this was shown -

I guess my mind must have completely erased this moment, as it made no sense when they showed it.

But....did they really show Marley, Marlyan soldiers, sending people to Paradis, putting a syringe on them, and transforming into Titans, THIS early??? And we all just thought nothing of it at the time? Crazy

I guess you could think its wall maria, but now I can notice the detail of hearing the syringe and the titan transformation, as well as the soliders

Sorry, just a bit mind blown this was here all along. Amazing foreshadowing.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
This is insane, I am re-watching the show with my dad, and I had COMPLETELY forgotten this was shown -

I guess my mind must have completely erased this moment, as it made no sense when they showed it.

But....did they really show Marley, Marlyan soldiers, sending people to Paradis, putting a syringe on them, and transforming into Titans, THIS early??? And we all just thought nothing of it at the time? Crazy

I guess you could think its wall maria, but now I can notice the detail of hearing the syringe and the titan transformation, as well as the soliders

I'm definitely rewatching this when the anime is over.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Wow that's nuts - totally remember that but also what was going on pretty much went right over my head. Very cool to see it again with context now.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
MAPPA is doing such a fantastic job this season. Props to the animators crunching to bring us these episodes.
I love that these jobbers sent titans to terrorize them for years but are surprised they've adapted and learned to fight titans specifically well.

"NANI?!?" :O

lol.

Every episode that ends is excruciating, it's like noo now I need to wait another week. :( I NEED MORE STORY!
That was cathartic.
Yeah. I can already tell that Eren is going to be painted as a villain by the end of the story but it doesn't phase me, reaping what you sow or whatever the fuck. And the fact that there's a bunch of self hatred amongst the Eldians (in Marley) rubs me the wrong way. Just can't jive with the idea that a race of people are bending over backwards for Marleyans who don't care about them. Reeks of kiss ass type shit just to be accepted by people who will never accept you. Team Eren. Get with it or get rolled over. Lol.

Not to say that Paradis isn't toxic either, they definitely were.
Even after seeing how the Marleyans/Eldians live and becoming attached to those characters, I am at the same place as Eren regarding that. His actions are morally reprehensible but he has to move forward. This is war and I love how Isayama doesn't shy away from its horrors.