• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Damn, that was a pretty great episode, finally got to the inverse of the titans attacking wall rose way back when. Definitely thrown off by the CGI this episode (it's the first episode it's really bothered me to be fair tho). Dunno how I feel so far about the Marleyan titans seemingly jobbing real hard so far.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Getting some TLOU2 vibes. Both sides are terrorists lol. Though I guess one side started it...

I don't give a damn about the CGI, don't think I ever have in this series. Looks/integrates fine and gets the job done.

Great to see the old crowd especially Mikasa and Levi putting in work.

Also the War Hammer seems really powerful but has a really obvious weakness...wonder if there will be more to it than that.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Does anyone know any anime only channels that do reaction videos for attack on titan episodes?

It's hard to look do to spoiler fear.

Randog

Oct 27, 2017
Me, S1: huh what's up with the weird skinless dudes and these kids sky-humping their way around a medieval castle town?
Me, S4: The horrors of war are unrelenting and the cycles of violence perpetuated therein cannot be escaped. There are no heroes here, only demons. The wheel must turn.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CGI feels a bit off, but the episode is still an incredible 10/10. Also must be the only anime that I can remember that has a timeskip and it's not used for the simple purpose of power ups like other very popular series.. but I'm not gonna say no names.

Eren is a monster. Both in terms of how he operates and thinks (critically now, rather than yelling). I remember being totally shook reading essentially episode 5, and the next few in the manga and being blown away by everything. I LOVE that choice music that sounds straight out of some Final Fantasy with the hymn, during the moment Eren gets decked in the chest. It sounds so fucking good!

Does anyone know any anime only channels that do reaction videos for attack on titan episodes?

Only one I've seen from is Heavenly Controller. He's anime only but has been good at guessing some things here and there (and some he's completely off the mark)

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

For groups, try The Normies, Into The Void, and RT TV.

For single person reactions, I just youtube "attack on titan reaction mashup" to get big collages of many people, which is funnier to me.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much the folks on paradis advanced in these four years. They found out that the main reason Marley wants the island is for the resources, and I don't remember the specific line earlier in this season but the boats sent to the island were probably taken, not destroyed.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Damn, that was a pretty great episode, finally got to the inverse of the titans attacking wall rose way back when. Definitely thrown off by the CGI this episode (it's the first episode it's really bothered me to be fair tho). Dunno how I feel so far about the Marleyan titans seemingly jobbing real hard so far.

Unlike Annie, Berthold, and Reiner, they've never seen nor trained with 3D maneuver gear. Zeke had never seen it when he arrived. It would be problematic for Marley to explain to their recruits that the paradise island devils' only defense against titans until recently was crude human-made hand to hand weaponry. Even the Marley soldiers seemed totally clueless when the Scouts arrived, suggesting they'd been kept in the dark as well.

Reminded me of a quote I saw recently that said authoritarian governments are doomed to lose prolonged conflicts, because deference to the state prevents honest assessment of enemy capabilities.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wonder how much the folks on paradis advanced in these four years. They found out that the main reason Marley wants the island is for the resources, and I don't remember the specific line earlier in this season but the boats sent to the island were probably taken, not destroyed.

The funny thing is that I don't even believe that Paradis would even be all that far behind military technologically wise. Like even when they were slapping down all technological advancements, I doubt they completely destroyed all records of the technological advancements that were made. They probably just put it under lock and key under the castle ready to be pulled up if the need arrived.

Not to mention that barring that. They obviously had the capability to traverse the ocean without being seen. So they could have easily snuck into another country and raided engineering books.

Also just the fact that Paradis is now more or less united as far as its military is concerned means they can more easily share their technology with the different branches.

So that all really just puts them in a good position.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Marley waking up to some "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my actions" type stuff. They've unknowingly been training the people behind the wall in titan combat for years. They ain't scared and have pretty much perfected the art of taking them down. Loved how they were swarming like a legion of spidermen and the civilization that was supposed to be the more advanced couldn't do anything. It took weeks but the payoff was worth it.

I'm not sure what Mikasa was talking about though. She made it seem as though Eren and Armin were acting independently yet all those soldiers were in place like it was coordinated. Did she think this attack was going to not result in civilian deaths or something?

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I'm very glad that I don't care or not notice CGI as some do. This episode was a masterpiece in itself. The Warhammer Titan exceeded my expectations in terms of design, loved it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm very glad that I don't care or not notice CGI as some do. This episode was a masterpiece in itself. The Warhammer Titan exceeded my expectations in terms of design, loved it.
Honestly for me, it has the most badass design out of all 9 Titans. Might have the coolest power as well.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Gabi definitely feeling the same zetsubou Eren went through

cb56c20f18a6f14b7a2aecf28b918f29e830a994.png

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm about halfway caught up in the manga and while I appreciate it for what it is, it's kind of insane to argue that the anime pales by comparison. The anime is like a thousand times more exciting IMO - hell, the music alone is SO good! Seeing the story payoffs (which are amazing in this series) come to life on-screen has been such a highlight. The CGI stuff is neither here nor there for me - it all looks great IMO but I understand that some people take this stuff very seriously (and that's coo, no disrespect). Just glad it's not a distraction point for me. The last couple episodes flew by so quick I had to go back and check that they weren't shorter than the older ones, LOL.

Maybe my only complaint overall on the anime is that the subtitle translations in the first couple of seasons were a little suspect but they've gotten better since the second half of season three. But everything else = chef kiss

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
The funny thing is that I don't even believe that Paradis would even be all that far behind military technologically wise. Like even when they were slapping down all technological advancements, I doubt they completely destroyed all records of the technological advancements that were made. They probably just put it under lock and key under the castle ready to be pulled up if the need arrived.
Sure, but even if we take that and their natural resources into account, Paradis is still an island that has been completely cut off from the rest of the world for a century. That can't be good for technological advancements.

I'd say it mostly comes down to Paradis having spent decades doing everything they could to kill semi-immortal giant zombies vs. Marley being overly confident in their Titans.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's people's problem with the use of CGI, I think some of you have no idea what actually distractingly bad CGI looks like (watch Baki on Netflix lmao).

mga0e3Z.gif

This works just fine.

The shot of the war hammer titan conjuring the weapon here isn't CG, but the fact that the CG even blends well at all tells you that it's pretty good.

None of the 3D maneuver gear scenes were mindblowing like most of the Imai scenes in previous seasons, but they don't look bad.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Getting some TLOU2 vibes. Both sides are terrorists lol. Though I guess one side started it...

I don't give a damn about the CGI, don't think I ever have in this series. Looks/integrates fine and gets the job done.

Great to see the old crowd especially Mikasa and Levi putting in work.

Also the War Hammer seems really powerful but has a really obvious weakness...wonder if there will be more to it than that.
I mentioned this before but folks on social media LOVE the both sides in AoT and HATE the both sides in TLOU2.
Obviously the events that happen before the both sides switch on TLOU2 are different but still....

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And to think a lot of trolls called this a normie show is laughable, this indeed is the best show to date followed closely by Fullmetal Alchemist imo.

I was one of the people who thought Aot was a decent show but often really overhyped for what it was in the first twoish seasons.

Rewatching it is interesting because I both still agree and heavily disagree now. The amount of thought and foreshadowing in place is extremely difficult to see(impossible) on first viewing that makes certain events much more impactful than they would be on first watch, but I still think there is a distinct jump in quality later in the show that really makes it feel like a different show at times in terms of quality, but maybe that's just me.

Anecdotally, I have a few friends who stopped watching around second season time I think because at around that point, the show is kind of tiring to watch, and the show hasnt done a lot to explicitly start showing much to really distinguish it from other action series besides gratuitous death by that point.

... I also really don't get the love for FMAB though, so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt haha.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had lingered on some moments a bit more or that we had some more of those scenes that are insanely animated. Even with some small critics, this episode is still one of the best in the entire series.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So I rewatched season 3 and it was even better a second time but had some things I wanted to bring up. I'd love to talk about them!

First - Is anyone very worried about the time loop implications with Kruger saying Mikasa and Armin? It implies that knowing the future caused him to take certain actions and those kinds of plot points always stress me out. It's cool in like a game like Kingdom Hearts where I'm just along for wild ride but in Attack on Titan which has very good writing, I fear that that kind of thing is a disservice to all of the great plot points that the character's developments earned organically.

Another thing I totally forgot about is Eren being able to use the founding Titan's powers if he touches someone in the royal family. Obviously this will come back because it played a much greater importance in the last episode of Season 3 than I remember it playing. And the most likely candidate is Historia - but wouldn't another one be Zeke? Since he's technically of royal blood thanks to Dina?

Speaking of Zeke - he needs to show up way more than he has. Specifically, we need a scene with him and Eren as half brothers and all of that. He could be just as interesting a dynamic with Eren as Reiner is - born of the same father, with Eren inheriting his father's ideals and Zeke rebelling against them (quite honestly Zeke is a huge player in why things are the way they are for ratting his parents out). I'm surprised he hasn't played a greater role in season 4 yet. I thought surely he'd get a bigger spotlight yet it seems they're still focusing on Reiner.

One final thing - do we really know the truth of the past yet? Is it confirmed that either of Marley's story of Ymir (she was a terrible person who made a deal with the devil) or Eldian's (she helped people). Because it lasted 1700 years and only ended 100 years before the show. Even sooner than that when it was told by Grisha in the flashbacks. I feel like it shouldn't be that highly debated? Like it wasn't that long ago that it ended.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The story is great but its a damn shame that Studio WIT didn't get to finish the series. The CG is way too distracting

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile

The strawboys, and they probably have the funniest intro in the reaction industry.

Oh, and definitely watch filmbuff, his analysis of every episode is really well thought out, probably the best out there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leaked OST made an appearance in the coolest damn way possible. Best moment of the episode for me.

Imon_Snow and yaboyroshi are anime onlies and they're also the best at it imo. I'm a manga reader and I go straight to their channels after finishing an episode.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also big oof at completely forgetting about how Zofia died... just yikes

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
What's the story here? Is there any official word on why they changed studios? Just curious as I don't really follow the behind-the-scenes stuff.
While season 3 was in production, we consulted with Wit Studio, and it was decided that The Final Season would be created by a different production studio. One of the reasons is because the end of season 3 has the protagonist gazing at the ocean, marking a turning point for the story. Also, as creators we wanted the anime to escalate even further. Through many talks with Wit Studio, we understood that the continuation would be difficult, so we looked for a new studio. Kinoshita, Maeda, and I divided the searching duties among ourselves, but most studios turned us down. Everyone understood what big shoes they had to fill, and we were told by dozens of studios that they emphatically could not accept.

The only studio that said they would consider it was MAPPA. When we talked to WIT about it, they said they could rest easy knowing it was in MAPPA's hands. The producers were in agreement, so the production shifted to MAPPA.

I honestly find the whole thing nonsense, but this is the official answer on the matter.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Attack on Titan Producers Discuss Reason Behind Studio Change to MAPPA

'The only studio that said they would consider it was MAPPA.'

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
God, the IMDb rating inflation for this show is bewildering.

This episode was great but a 9.9????

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The leaked OST made an appearance in the coolest damn way possible. Best moment of the episode for me.Imon_Snow and yaboyroshi are anime onlies and they're also the best at it imo. I'm a manga reader and I go straight to their channels after finishing an episode.
is there a link to the OST on YouTube or something?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt mind the CG except for the Attack Titan, he looks a bit goofy and not as savage as drawn in 2D.

That said, compared to the CG in earlier seasons like Historias father as a Titan, this is miles better. If the Titan fights had a little bit less of it I'd be completely fine with it.