• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anything about reprinting the Attack on Titan Colossal Editions of the manga by any chance? I picked up the most recent Humble Bundle with all of the manga, but I would really like to get the physical versions to read, but man they are really over priced for the first few volumes, since they seem to be out of print.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Yeager sounds cooler than Eren, in my humble opinion lol
lol, didn't thought about that. Yeager (=Jäger) means hunter in German, so this would be kind of a weird name here:
"My name's Jäger."
"Wait, you're a hunter?"

This so much.
------------------------
I wonder whether Willy was really surprised by Eren's attack. Didn't Magath said something about rats in his house to him in the episode before? He could have made preparations to prevent his death.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder whether Willy was really surprised by Eren's attack. Didn't Magath said something about rats in his house to him in the episode before? He could have made preparations to prevent his death.
Would be awesome if he were to transform out of Eren's mouth. Like how he came out of Santa Titan

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Eren's name is also referenced in the first opening: Seid Ihr das Essen? - Nein, wir sind die Jäger!
Would be awesome if he were to transform out of Eren's mouth. Like how he came out of Santa Titan
Would really be a plot twist if Willy was the War Hammer Titan all along. But I don't really expect it at this point.
Something just has to be planned by Magath. He knew there were Paradis agents in Rebellio. It just seems to easy for them to kill the world's elite.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I mean he was barely freshman age at the beginning of the manga, dude has to be close to 20 now. Does Era know how growth spurts work? People grow like crazy by the time they've graduated HS. Lol. With that being said, he's the only lead (blonde hair) I can I think of. Maybe it's a brand new character.
I graduated with a guy who was like 5'4, and now he's about 6'3. That shit was crazy.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Idk. While I realize the crew is not perfect, lot of these examples seem like quite a few degrees away from murdering innocent people (including the people you're trying to free) indiscriminately, but that's just me.
:)

That was just me taking things out of context and exaggerating them to the nth degree.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Due to his "stage fright" comment and the fact that he had tears in his eyes during the Declaration I think he half-expected his death was imminent, which makes the gravity of it all that much denser.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Eren isn't playing up his role as a villain because it's the "I'll become the villain to unite everyone else" trope.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
:)

That was just me taking things out of context and exaggerating them to the nth degree.

haha my bad, I just saw people comparing Armin's actions and words to Eren so I thought you were doing the same with the rest of the crew.

I really hope Eren gets destroyed by Falco and/or Levi. It'll be great.

Question: what's the difference between Beast Titan's power and the Founding Titan's power? Do we know yet?

cuz it seems like the controlling titans aspect is very similar and I'm wondering what will happen if they both try controlling at the same time..

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Eren isn't playing up his role as a villain because it's the "I'll become the villain to unite everyone else" trope.
He isn't the hero we deserve, but the one we need right now. So we will hate him, because he can take it. Because he isn't a shounen protagonist. He is a ruthless killer. A titan shifter... an Eren Jaeger!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He isn't the hero we deserve, but the one we need right now. So we will hate him, because he can take it. Because he isn't a shounen protagonist. He is a ruthless killer. A titan shifter... an Eren Jaeger!

Didn't Eren basically shoot that line of thinking down during the battle of trost when he was talking to Pyxis?(in a clear Watchmen reference)

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I thought it was
Code Geass.

I thought it was Watchmen because isn't Isayama a self-proclaimed fan?

It might be made up but I recall seeing mention that Erwin and Levi are sort of references to/inspired by Ozymandias and Rorschach. I've even seen the suggestion that the name Ackerman is a reference to Malin Akerman(Silk Spectre in the Watchmen movie).

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was Watchmen because isn't Isayama a self-proclaimed fan?

It might be made up but I recall seeing mention that Erwin and Levi are sort of references to/inspired by Ozymandias and Rorschach. I've even seen the suggestion that the name Ackerman is a reference to Malin Akerman(Silk Spectre in the Watchmen movie).
True, I just never thought about Watchmen.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Nah. I don't buy this in this plot line.

Eren is pragmatic and doing what he feels like must be done. It's not going to be as clear as good/bad in this case. It does appear already though, he's not going to care if he murders innocents for the trajectory he is on. My guess is he sees no way out that doesn't end in the bloodshed of innocents - so might as well win.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that was a meme obviously. I don't think Eren is playing up to become a villain on purpose.

However... its interesting that Eren went straight for Willy and ate him (or at least looked like he is about to eat him). Could Eren's goal be to assemble all the Titan shifters???

tenor.gif

"Fun isn't something one considers when "rumbling" the earth, but THIS does put a smile on my face!"

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
One area I feel where Season 4 has been a bit weak in is the OST. I've been rewatching scenes from previous seasons and listening to their OSTs and man, the music itself and its placement was on another level.

I don't know the first thing about production but would this be on MAPPA themselves on music selection and placement? Might sound like a dumb question.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that was a meme obviously. I don't think Eren is playing up to become a villain on purpose.

However... its interesting that Eren went straight for Willy and ate him (or at least looked like he is about to eat him). Could Eren's goal be to assemble all the Titan shifters???

tenor.gif

"Fun isn't something one considers when "rumbling" the earth, but THIS does put a smile on my face!"
He assumed Willy is the one holding the Warhammer Titan powers, so he ate him.
I guess his (and the other Paradis squad) goal is simple - the more titan powers he own, the less titan powers his enemies own.
Eren is pretty clear about him wanting to destroy his enemies, so the endgame here is removing all possible advantages Marley have, effectively paving the way for the defeat of Marley.
Although we've seen in the first couple of episodes that Marley's enemies have anti-titan weapons so maybe Marley will form a union against Paradis (especially after that Willy speech) and get hold of these weapons. I assume there are probably more that we didn't see.

Oct 28, 2017
He assumed Willy is the one holding the Warhammer Titan powers, so he ate him.
I guess his (and the other Paradis squad) goal is simple - the more titan powers he own, the less titan powers his enemies own.
Eren is pretty clear about him wanting to destroy his enemies, so the endgame here is removing all possible advantages Marley have, effectively paving the way for the defeat of Marley.
Although we've seen in the first couple of episodes that Marley's enemies have anti-titan weapons so maybe Marley will form a union against Paradis (especially after that Willy speech) and get hold of these weapons. I assume there are probably more that we didn't see.
Even if Willy isn't the Warhammer (I think he is), he is the unofficial supreme leader of Marley, so it makes sense to go at him first when he just declared war on the islanders.
It's exciting to see how the next episode will turn out. On one hand, all the foreign VIPs, the chain of command and Willy possibly dying can make other countries see Marley as weakened, so Paradis isn't all alone anymore. On the other hand Willy, Magath and the asian lady definitely knew shit will go down then and there.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
One area I feel where Season 4 has been a bit weak in is the OST. I've been rewatching scenes from previous seasons and listening to their OSTs and man, the music itself and its placement was on another level.

I don't know the first thing about production but would this be on MAPPA themselves on music selection and placement? Might sound like a dumb question.

Apparently the same guy does the music/sound editing for this season and the old seasons.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I just want everyone to know that Isayama has said that the first 6 seasons of Game of Thrones inspired and influenced him on how to end to Attack on Titan.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
lol, didn't thought about that. Yeager (=Jäger) means hunter in German, so this would be kind of a weird name here:
"My name's Jäger."
"Wait, you're a hunter?"

This so much.
------------------------
I think they probably didn't expect the actual Founding Titan, because why would they send their most powerful weapon first, but they seemed to expect something.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Due to his "stage fright" comment and the fact that he had tears in his eyes during the Declaration I think he half-expected his death was imminent, which makes the gravity of it all that much denser.
I think they probably didn't expect the actual Founding Titan, because why would they send their most powerful weapon first, but they seemed to expect something.
Yeah, you are probably right, and the more interesting it will be seeing what they have planned for this situation. Two of their titans are trapped, who knows what happened to Reiner, so Zeke - if he isn't held captive - and the War Hammer Titan have to fight Eren.
Oh man, I'm so excited for the next episode!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Hi guys, slightly off topic. If I want to read Before the Fall spinoff, should I go with manga or light novel?
I'm reading the manga but I saw a lot of suggestions to read the light novel instead. I don't read manga or comics because I often struggle with reading movement or actions, but I will say the actions are particularly difficult to read in this and I've often had no clue what is even happening lol.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
People are saying that the next 3 episodes will be even better than this one. This season is so good.

This is not the thread to share what manga readers are saying about future events in the series. I'm as hyped as anyone but this just makes me wonder about the fourth episode from now when I just want to take in each episode on its own terms:)

ryanfadholi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm reading the manga but I saw a lot of suggestions to read the light novel instead. I don't read manga or comics because I often struggle with reading movement or actions, but I will say the actions are particularly difficult to read in this and I've often had no clue what is even happening lol.

Haha yeah, I expected this to be the case. Guess I'll be looking at the LN, thank you!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This whole episode is that of nervous abandonment. "Triumph" is not something one would expect musically. And this reaction made the director get depressed? The fuck?

Oct 25, 2017
This whole episode is that of nervous abandonment. "Triumph" is not something one would expect musically. And this reaction made the director get depressed? The fuck?
People just want everything to be hype without reading the meaning of what's going on. People interpreting everything the same way does get very annoying. I describe some things as "anti-hype" and that's what that scene is.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People just want everything to be hype without reading the meaning of what's going on. People interpreting everything the same way does get very annoying. I describe some things as "anti-hype" and that's what that scene is.
...hype being the content and not the anticipation...

...I'd like to say "When did it become that?" but I know the answer.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Even if Willy isn't the Warhammer (I think he is), he is the unofficial supreme leader of Marley, so it makes sense to go at him first when he just declared war on the islanders.
It's exciting to see how the next episode will turn out. On one hand, all the foreign VIPs, the chain of command and Willy possibly dying can make other countries see Marley as weakened, so Paradis isn't all alone anymore. On the other hand Willy, Magath and the asian lady definitely knew shit will go down then and there.
I don't think he is. Be boring to get a Titan we hadn't seen without a fight.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if historically the Attack Titan always tries to overthrow governments or if it's just this run of Eren -> Grisha -> Eren

You'd think they'd keep a closer eye on it if so

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I watched some reaction videos where people were nodding along and agreeing with the big speech between Eren and Reiner and seeming to understand it and then end up going "omg yass Eren fuck them up" when he transforms and I'm like ????
Are we watching the same show? Lol

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if historically the Attack Titan always tries to overthrow governments or if it's just this run of Eren -> Grisha -> Eren

You'd think they'd keep a closer eye on it if so
It fits historically, together with the Founding the Attack Titan is the one never under control of Marley according to Kruger.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the more muted OST choice worked wonderfully with the final scene of the episode.

YSBG is just a meme at this point, having it at the end of episode 4 was a cool enough call back.

The voice actor for Reiner absolutely delivered.