• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing that came from it were the 2 the animated Clone Wars era TV series.

Clone Wars and Bad Batch made it worth it.

Hell the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars were movie-quality themselves. The tie in with the movies was great.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
star-wars-theres-always-a-bigger-fish.gif

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
All I know is this attempted rehabilitation of the prequels has got to stop. Hello there, memes don't make a movie, they're coarse and rough and irritating.

And I actually like George Lucas. I don't doubt his enthusiasm for the prequels. But they're shit, they were shit back then, and shit they will remain. Stop trying to turn bad billion dollar juggernauts into cult movies.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017
Still remember seeing it in the cinemas, with my friends. Everybody lost their mind at the Yoda fight. Nowadays I look at the scene, and find it much more unintentional hilarious. Movie's shit, though.

John Williams did fine work but there's something weird about the score for this movie, the third act is just full of re-used cues from Episode 1 and earlier in the film. We know that George made huge changes to the movie with reshoots so that's probably the reason.

One of the best ways to make this turd watchable is to try and spot when Ewan McGregor is wearing the fake beard.

The entire prequel trilogy is mess in terms of editing. A lot of Williams' score is replaced with other cues from the franchise, for some reason. It makes it a little strange, when you go back and watch the film, and notice the music more.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather rewatch this than any of the sequel movies tbh.
Seriously watch it again then try to maintain this standpoint.

It is an almost irredeemably bad movie.

However you feel about the sequel T, at the very least you can switch your brain off and enjoy them as generally tightly made pulp sci fi action movies.

But Attack of the Clones is dull. Whether you switch your brain off or not, it's fucking boring. Which is the ultimate sin a piece of entertainment can commit. At least the sequel T aren't boring.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I went to see this movie more times than I'd like to admit. I think teenage me was just infatuated with Natalie Portman and I liked some of the action pieces.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Seriously watch it again then try to maintain this standpoint.

It is an almost irredeemably bad movie.

However you feel about the sequel T, at the very least you can switch your brain off and enjoy them as generally tightly made pulp sci fi action movies.

But Attack of the Clones is dull. Whether you switch your brain off or not, it's fucking boring. Which is the ultimate sin a piece of entertainment can commit. At least the sequel T aren't boring.

I could at least laugh at this movie. With the sequels I got bored and slept halfway through the first two movies and turned the last one off because it was that bad.

I thought SW isn't for me anymore but I enjoyed Rogue One and Han Solo so eh.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
The worst one up until Episode 9. I love the prequels but they are bad movies. Also yea, the way the revisionist history with the prequels has fully taken hold is absolutely wild to have seen happen over the past few years.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is this attempted rehabilitation of the prequels has got to stop. Hello there, memes don't make a movie, they're coarse and rough and irritating.

And I actually like George Lucas. I don't doubt his enthusiasm for the prequels. But they're shit, they were shit back then, and shit they will remain. Stop trying to turn bad billion dollar juggernauts into cult movies.

I can't even try to shit on parts of Ep 3 nowadays without a dozen people immediately jumping down my throat saying how incredible it is. "Anakin's bad acting is on purpose!" "His turn to the dark side is totally calculated!"

Look, I absolutely love Star Wars. All of it. But loving the bad is different from trying to turn it into something else in your head. I think TCW also did such a good job revitalizing the characters that people forget there was a long period where that show didn't exist, and we only had the versions of them in the movies to deal with.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
It's just too slow. In concept, detective work is fine, everything being planned by Palp is fine, clone wars like this is fine. But I definitely skip over Padme and Anakin bits on rewatch.

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it opening night. Yoda with a lightsaber brought the house down.

Then a few days later I found out the internet hated it and that scene is required to be mocked and laughed at. Sorry for getting it wrong, internet.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could at least laugh at this movie. With the sequels I got bored and slept halfway through the first two movies and turned the last one off because it was that bad.

I thought SW isn't for me anymore but I enjoyed Rogue One and Han Solo so eh.
I'm not sure when you last watched AotC, but there's honestly almost nothing to laugh at in it.

It has a fun opening scene and a fun final sequence. In between those 10 mins of content is TWO HOURS of complete tedium. You'd be just as well watching the UK parliament 24 hour livestream.

There are maybe 3 lines of dialogue in that period you can laugh at. All Padme-Anakin bunk. The other 100+ minutes of it are just pure tedium. It's so awful. The movie is mainly just politics.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new trilogy but at least they have a cadence of interesting things happening.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I wanted to like this movie so bad that I did for a bit. Then it came out on home release and I had time to confront the reality that it's a garbage movie. Tough pill to swallow, but Star Wars has forced me to do that multiple times at this point.

ALSO, WHO THE HELL IS SYFO DYAS? lol

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I can't even try to shit on parts of Ep 3 nowadays without a dozen people immediately jumping down my throat saying how incredible it is. "Anakin's bad acting is on purpose!" "His turn to the dark side is totally calculated!"

Look, I absolutely love Star Wars. All of it. But loving the bad is different from trying to turn it into something else in your head. I think TCW also did such a good job revitalizing the characters that people forget there was a long period where that show didn't exist, and we only had the versions of them in the movies to deal with.

And it's fine that they aren't good and you like them. Appreciate the memes. Enjoy them on an ironic level, enjoy them because of nostalgia, and hell, even just enjoy them without any of those trappings.

But they're bad. There are a lot of bad movies I'm pretty fond of. A lot of bad sci-if, really - movies like Mission to Mars, Sphere, The Core, Supernova (that one had Angela Bassett and James Spader, so I was automatically in). Just absolute nonsense that I personally dig but would never inflict on another human. I'd never try to defend them as good cinema like people seem so eager to do with the Star Wars prequels.

They're bad, and it's fine to like them even though they're bad.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was about 12 when it came out and it was the first movie I ever saw in a theater where I realized in real time that it's actually trash.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Phantom Menace is boring, Revenge is great, attack of the clones is atrocious

Like all the prequels there's some really cool ideas here, executed poorly with poor writing and acting direction

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Random question but did dye Ewan's hair in the first two films or was the lighting just off? I halve thought he was wearing a wig in the first film. He looks normal in the third.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Saw it opening night. Yoda with a lightsaber brought the house down.

Then a few days later I found out the internet hated it and that scene is required to be mocked and laughed at. Sorry for getting it wrong, internet.

I will say I loved that Yoda scene. As the wrestling nerds say, I marked out.

That was one of the good scenes. I don't know how else to depict Yoda in a lightsaber fight except as a tiny green guy constantly flipping around. Always seemed entirely appropriate to me.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
It gave us one of the greatest duels on film. There was cheering in the theatre when this happened lol

People who did not see Attack of the Clones when it released cannot fully appreciate how absolutely batshit the audience went when Yoda starting fighting with a lightsaber and flipping around the place. It's part of why I saw the movie twice when I was a teen.

In retrospect, it's the worst Star Wars movie overall (yes, even worse than Rise of Skywalker, but it's at least bad in weird ways). But I can appreciate the good parts of it.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
The Lightsaber fight betweeb Anakin and Dooku is so bad. Worst Lightsaber fight in the franchise.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
And it's fine that they aren't good and you like them. Appreciate the memes. Enjoy them on an ironic level, enjoy them because of nostalgia, and hell, even just enjoy them without any of those trappings.

But they're bad. There are a lot of bad movies I'm pretty fond of. A lot of bad sci-if, really - movies like Mission to Mars, Sphere, The Core, Supernova (that one had Angela Bassett and James Spader, so I was automatically in). Just absolute nonsense that I personally dig but would never inflict on another human. I'd never try to defend them as good cinema like people seem so eager to do with the Star Wars prequels.

They're bad, and it's fine to like them even though they're bad.

100%

goshou

Oct 28, 2017
20 years ago when I heard a child sitting in front of me, who having figited uncomfortably for probably 99% of this movie, say to his mother

"I liked Spider-man better."

Me too kid, me too.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
The movie is rough but it paved the way for the Clone Wars which is fantastic.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
There is no way AotC is a worse film than RotS. Clones at least has some decent ideas, it's just that they're poorly executed.

Rise felt like one of those forum threads where each poster adds a sentence with no idea how the next person will continue the story.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
GOTDAMN THE TITLE SAYS CELEBRATE
and ya'll are just negative as fuck lmao.
Yall shit on this movie in every star wars thread, some positivity would be nice for once.

22.gif

I love watching the Jedi in the background during the Geonosis battle.

This guy has made videos exploring the backgrounds of many Star Wars battle scenes. He catches a lot of details most of us probably missed, even on repeat viewings.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
The prequels failed to engage the next generation of fans leaving the franchise to the nostalgic whims of the 70's and 80's fans from which it has never since escaped.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's entertaining from start to finish imo. Watched this countless times as a young teen

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Rise of Skywalker or Revenge of the Sith?

Ha. Never realised they were the same. Rise. I actually enjoyed Revenge last time I watched it. Too bad it took three attempts at Anakin before Lucas (sort of) got it right.

But Rise was just awful on every level. One of the most soulless, by the numbers films I've seen. And that's not something you could accuse the prequel trilogy of.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
This guy has made videos exploring the backgrounds of many Star Wars battle scenes. He catches a lot of details most of us probably missed, even on repeat viewings.

I demand a book about that duel wielding guy I never noticed before.

AOTC is fine, nothing to get all worked up and angry about. Its got a nice speeder chase, really interesting planets with Kamino and Geonosis, cool alien designs like the gladiator beasts, a great dogfight in space, and amazing music as usual. My theater was totally into the Yoda fight.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
This topic is a great example of how successfully lucasarts has rehabbed the image of the prequels with years of active work, lol. This is a wretched film; boring and unwatchable. Even Williams' soundtrack is phoned in.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
I'm here to confess something.

I was 15 and for some reason started to tear up at the scene where Padme and Anakin share a kiss before being carted out into the arena.

It's a trait I've carried my whole life. If a scene is supposed to be emotional I might feel my eyes start to water up a bit, no matter how numbskulled the larger context might be.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Absolute worst thing Star Wars I ever paid money for.
It's an atrocious movie with tone all over the place where nothing interesting happens.
It's one of the reasons why the 3rd movie has so much to do because AotC wastes so much time doing absolutely nothing.
If you watch the PT, you can skip this one and you'll lose nothing.

There's no visual on the level of the Naboo invasion, no pivotal moment that changes everything for the story or the characters.
You get muppet Yoda jumping all over the place like that's supposed to be cool but shows that the little green goblin is really nothing special like he was hinted at in the OT.

All the dramatic moments that were supposed to elicit emotions only brought laughter.
I was laughing when Anakin's mom was dying, that's how bad they fucked these moments.

The dialogue is legit so bad it made me think I could actually do a better job and I'm not a very good writer.
There's one good thing I'll say about this movie, it's so bad it make the rest of the trilogy look downright genius in comparison.
They might as well have kept Jar Jar at the center of the plot if that movie really needed to be made.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all still can't help yourselves.

Y'all don't have to bring up anything negative, especially when it comes to other movies.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
This movie has a special place in my heart because it was the first DVD I bought and watched as a teenager after I got a PS2 and some PC 5.1 surround system. Awesome!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all still can't help yourselves.

Y'all don't have to bring up anything negative, especially when it comes to other movies.

I don't, no. But maybe I can get my apprentice to hire a guy who will hire someone else, who will get a robot to spit out some poison worms into this thread that will say something negative about the movie.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I remember purchasing the novelization (written by R.A. Salvatore) which came out like a week or two prior to the film release, ripping through the book, and being thoroughly convinced this was not only worlds above Phantom Menace- but quite possibly going to be the best freaking Star Wars film- EVER.

Then I saw the film and was pretty much like..
giphy.gif

Like, in novel form, I thought the story was totally awesome. Lots more detail, explanations- the Jango/Kenobi fight was sold as this epic clash (and basically sold the fact on how incredible it was that Jango fought Obi-Wan to a stalemate, an incredible feat being a non-jedi. The book opened with the Lars family and losing Shmi to the sandpeople, Cliegg losing his leg in the rescue attempt, just barely glossed over well after the fact in the film. The core Padme/Anakin romance developed well, etc. Yoda/Dooku- as epic as expected. The actual breakout of the Clone Wars- epic

Then the movie itself was just not near as good. Everything was so brief and not given time to breathe. Obviously as we all know, Anakin/Padme were terrible and had no chemistry, performances were awful. Jango/ObiWan was just too quick to really rate as much of a fight (through the ship chase was cool), Yoda/Dooku was comically short, wonky CG, and just over in seconds like everything.

These days, I still find it a watchable film minus the Anakin/Padme scenes- which is just all time bad stuff there (and yes, that's a huge chunk of the 2nd act). But Obi-Wan has a cool arc, and the climax on Genosis is still pretty fun. Still, this and Phantom are probably tied in my book for worst Star Wars film (to me).

Last edited:

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
This is the movie that taught me what dissapointment felt like, which is saying a lot because my mom abandoned me a few years prior.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The worst Star Wars movie, yet one that I would probably more likely rewatch than The Rise of Skywalker.

Yuuuup. It's a worse movie than Rise, but far more enjoyable because at least it tried to do something.

There are some cool stuff here and there. I love Kamino, the Coruscant chase, some of the (CGI) shots of the battle of Geonosis are cool (like the explosion - sandstorm transition), and I do like Yoda jumping all over the place.