• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed we didn't seem to have even a single thread about this game on era.

I was interested in this game, mostly because Raw Fury tend to publish some pretty good stuff. Then I checked out the reviews, and I was a little disappointed. It has 67 on metacritic for the Switch version, which I think suggests it's an especially good game.

But I had a read over many the reviews, and noted that one particularly low score tanks the metascore for the Switch version of the game. That tends to be a problem with indies, which are only reviewed by a handful of critics, as it gives each individual perspective a lot of power. Other reviews lament the lack of content, but then I think to myself playing games like Geometry Wars and Resogun, and good twin stick shooters don't need masses and masses of content to be addictive.

In an any case, over on Steam the game has a very positive reception, so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go, especially as it's on sale on PSN at the moment.

And I found after a couple of goes, I really liked it. I find the core gameplay loop of going back to your farm, upgrading it, and progressing further and further into the wild, addictive. I think if you go into it expecting a rogue-like experience, where you're exploring lots of different dungeons, then you're going to be a little disappointed. I think it shines as a more arcade style, twin stick shooter where you're trying to survive as long as possible against increasingly complex enemies and bullet patterns, all the while protecting your farm.

As someone that likes twin stick shooters, and arcade games, I really enjoyed this and wanted to try repeatedly to see how far I could get.

I think the difficulty is that it's a game with a lot of harsh edges. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's a lot of features that players are likely to bounce off of. I think twin stick shooters tend to be quite challenging, so the initial level of difficulty might be too much for some folks to enjoy (though I actually found it quite easy, I see people complain about the difficulty in comments and such), the art style is quite garish, and polarizing. The blend of farming and twin stick shooting is fun, but I doubt there's much overlap between people who like Stardew Valley and those who like twin stick shooters, so it's an odd market to shoot for. But none of those harsh edges make it a bad game, they just narrow down the audience a bit. At the same time though, they make the game unique, something you won't have played before, and I think that's appreciable.

If you like twin stick shooters and are keen on the idea of playing one that's a bit different, with a bit more strategy than is typical, then I think you'd like Atomicrops. The game is on sale now on PSN, and I think it's worth the £6.99 or whatever it was I payed for it. I'm finding it oddly addictive.

So far, I don't think it's doing very well. Hopefully the devs are doing okay because it's obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into making the game.

4lvjBJ8.png

That's a snapshot of the PS4 player count from gamestat. Just 3,000 players isn't a lot, even if they paid full price.

In any case the game has my recommendation, and I just wanted to draw a bit more attention to it.