• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I wonder what kind of budget the atomic heart team is working with compared to other immersive sims.
They have about 100 people working 2 offices in Moscow and St Petersburg (source: the deep dive video posted in the thread).
Those are the most expensive cities in Russia, so if they can maintain 2 offices and keep the game going, they've had a good chink of cash to begin with.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks gorgeous and the atmosphere is excellent, but I don't think the combat makes a good first impression. Fighting small and/or fast skittish enemies in FPSs is never fun and there's way too much camera movement for my liking.

Strong Prey 2017 vibes but I also stopped playing that because the combat was poor. Sceptical but hopeful at the moment.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Just seeing this new video just now, goddamn. Looks intense. Love everything about this game.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
It looks gorgeous and the atmosphere is excellent, but I don't think the combat makes a good first impression. Fighting small and/or fast skittish enemies in FPSs is never fun and there's way too much camera movement for my liking.

Strong Prey 2017 vibes but I also stopped playing that because the combat was poor. Sceptical but hopeful at the moment.
Must be me but I actually really liked Prey combat for what it was. In my opinion Atomic Heart doesn't impress as it did in early reveals with upcoming games looking a lot more graphically/aesthetically interesting and now it looks too much like a Prey copycat.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the new gameplay and I think it looks pretty good, even the melee combat. Melee in FPS games is never an easy thing to pull off especially balancing cool and varied movesets with the fact you don't want to the camera going nuts during all this making people sick or confusing them. It looks weighty and I love the fact that the melee weapon has a crazy alternate fire. The boss all looked pretty fun if straight forward and of course the entire atmosphere and look is excellent.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This looks damn good and Mick Gordon is just a cherry on top. Always happy to see (what looks to be) more immersive sims out there.

Also just saw the trailer from a couple years ago and this looks like my style of weird.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I had no idea what this was.

After the trailer, I still have no idea what it is. It doesn't look particularly... enticing?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched this footage. This game has been blowing up on youtube for years now, because the trailers look weird.

But honestly, it looks pretty bad. That trailer in the OP, the dialogue is awful and completely breaks the tone of the game. The combat looks dull, flalling around with a pretty feeble seeming melee weapon.

If it's an immersive sim why release a trailer with 5+ minutes of clumsy melee combat? Why not show off some of the creative problem solving you can achieve in the game? There's moments that kind of neat, like where he activates a drone on the floor and it kills a few enemies... but that's the best bit in the entire trailer.

The combat reminds me of Prey but the best part of that game was the creative solutions that allowed you to circumvent combat scenarios, not the combat itself.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone who loves Arkane's PREY and was really interested in this the first few times we saw it but I feel like the odd one out because the more I see it, the less interested I become. The first few videos did feel like less of a game and more of a cool art piece but it's really lost all of that since, at least with what they've shown. (I was also worried how well their art piece would translate into a publicly released game.)

The worst parts of PREY are fighting the Mimics (because, like Headcrabs, they dart close to you and force you to look down all the time) and not being able to judge the facing direction of the Phantoms. This looks to have copied that but made it even worse. Fighting the little triffid enemies is less exciting than Mimics because at least Mimics could play hide and seek and use their Mimicry abilities to blend into the environment. Arkane later patched the Mimics, if I recall correctly, so that they'd stand up more often when they got close to you, so fights against them felt like less of a "try to wrangle an excited small dog when you have shoes made out of peanut butter" and more of a proper fight against an enemy that was roughly the same height as you.

This video barely had a pulse until the last 30 seconds when the protagonist started using the weird buzz saw staff in an interesting way. Up until then it was just clumsy melee combat that almost made Fallout look good.

I'm not as hyped as I once was but I'm glad it's not dead. Hoping it improves next time we see it.