• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right. I wrongly assumed this would be a recurrent scenario where a homeroom teacher would play jokes during the weekdays in the game. And yes, what you mention in brackets makes absolute sense as well, this would've definitely been coupled with that infamous homophobic scene if it were something similar to what I assumed.
In Persona 5, dungeons are referred to as Palaces, the inner psyche of a person, but more specifically the arc villains, nothing in the OP implied that it was a throwaway joke.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I didn't know RelaxAlax did that shit. Damn sometimes I feel like I live under a rock...

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
What happens with Ryuji? He gets sexually assaulted but I never saw this so assume its missable?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity.

Put down the pitchforks, it was almost certainly not intentional. It's bad optics for sure, don't get me wrong. But it's not as though Atlus did this themselves anyway, most publishers use external agencies and partners for organizing events like this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Put down the pitchforks, it was almost certainly not intentional. It's bad optics for sure, don't get me wrong. But it's not as though Atlus did this themselves anyway, most publishers use external agencies and partners for organizing events like this.
Actually...
As someone who works in marketing and has done this kind of work before: Atlus USA would have still gotten the list of attendees or invitees at some point for them to vet/make last minute changes to. This means it is still completely Atlus' fault.

I've had to google a whole bunch of people that companies have suggested we invite before and every one of them was vetted both internally and externally to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Atlus USA was careless, and whether they outsourced it or not, did a really poor job both on the optics front and on the actual follow through part of what they have been saying lately.

It's gross because I largely love Atlus games, but they need to stop punching themselves in the face unprovoked.
With that being said, I can kind of understand why this may have flown under Atlus West's radar (I say this as the person who made the exposition thread last year). But all the same, they should have done a better job of doing their research when vetting who was invited to the preview event.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Put down the pitchforks, it was almost certainly not intentional. It's bad optics for sure, don't get me wrong.
It's not just bad optics it's being grossly irresponsible and is and should be called out.

You know what's bad optics? People cowardly posting "hanlon's razor" as if it somehow absolves them of the responsibility to check up on who gets invited.

As to your second point https://www.resetera.com/threads/at...na-5-royal-preview-event.170855/post-29229122

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Actually...

With that being said, I can kind of understand why this may have flown under Atlus West's radar. But all the same, they should have done a better job of doing their research when vetting who was invited to the preview event.
Yes, that's fair. In the end, it is their event, and they are accountable for who was there and what happened there. I just don't think that there was a deliberate attempt to invite a shit bag to their preview event as much as it was pure carelessness and stupidity.
It's not just bad optics it's being grossly irresponsible and is and should be called out.

You know what's bad optics? People cowardly posting "hanlon's razor" as if it somehow absolves them of the responsibility to check up on who gets invited.

As to your second point https://www.resetera.com/threads/at...na-5-royal-preview-event.170855/post-29229122
I'm not absolving Atlus of anything. It's still irresponsible of them. I'm just saying that this occurring is because of carelessness, not malintent.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I feel like I stepped into a 100 level philosophy class where everyone just learned the term "hanlon's razor" and has been waiting for a situation to use it in a sentence.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes, that's fair. In the end, it is their event, and they are accountable for who was there and what happened there. I just don't think that there was a deliberate attempt to invite a shit bag to their preview event as much as it was pure carelessness and stupidity.
And hopefully with this thread existing, Atlus West can realize their mistake & perform better background checks on who they approve for their events going forward. Even if it was more carelessness than malice, Atlus West still fucked up by inviting RelaxAlax.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
And hopefully with this thread existing, Atlus West can realize their mistake & perform better background checks on who they approve for their events going forward. Even if it was more carelessness than malice, Atlus West still fucked up by inviting RelaxAlax.
Yup, no arguments with any of that. This is not the kind of person you want your brand associated with.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Like what exactly? Because if you're equating sexualizing someone with sexual abuse or assault, then that's gonna be a "agree to disagree" situation from the get go for me.
I might be exaggerating this as a reaction but the fact that basically every male character in the game keeps drooling and ogling over here despite of her whole character arc is not the best sight.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
User Banned (3 months): Rationalizing sexualized imagery of a minor
I might be exaggerating this as a reaction but the fact that basically every male character in the game keeps drooling and ogling over here despite of her whole character arc is not the best sight.
Okay, but that's just them not being overtly progressive. Sexualizing women isn't necessarily a bad thing, because sex remains a large part of the human experience.

Also, from what I remember, her arc was more something like "I can still be myself without expecting other people to treat me like dirt", wasn't it? Been a while since I played it.

Is it so hard to do research people or is it they just saw how popular he is and were like, yeah this Youtuber best represent us well?
I feel there also better people to invite like The Completionist, who's friends with the voice actors, which in a way, is additional vetting.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I did not know this about him. Had a couple of his videos in my Watch Later tab on YouTube, gladly removed them.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
User Banned (3 months): Rationalizing sexualized imagery of a minor
Er, no? The whole theme was about sexual harassment and abuse of power.
Ann's arc is her owning her sexuality and deciding to use it to do what she wants. While I agree that the way the game sexualizes her for gags can often be dissonant with that, there is no single point where Persona 5 has ever condoned sexual assault or abuse. Get a grip.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns around bigotry and sexual assault
I don't get the point of this thread. By inviting him Atlus neither supports his actions nor his opinions.
They saw someone making videos on one of their franchises with half a million subscribers and flew them in.
Even if they did a background check, I don't see how his past personal life has anything to do with playtesting video games.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard of this person before so I guess someone didn't do their research. Atlus probably used an outside marketing company to handle this rather than deal with invites internally.

Atlus used Evolve PR to handle the arrangements, who also flew me out to the same event.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
User banned (1 week): Trolling, antagonizing other users
Totally irredeemable trash. Will ResetEra please boycott Person 5 and all Persona games going forward to show the world how dedicated we are against the alt-right trash.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Like what exactly? Because if you're equating sexualizing someone with sexual abuse or assault, then that's gonna be a "agree to disagree" situation from the get go for me.
Eh, characters try to look under her skirt, and kept pushing her to model nude even after her repeated objections. This happens right after the aforementioned sexual abuse chapter, of which she is a central character in, and it's played for laughs. I couldn't help but feel like it undermined the Kamoshida chapter's message. That whole blackmailing the maid-fetish teacher business doesn't help the game either. After the first chapter you're lead to believe the game empathises with victims of sexual harassment and assault, but clearly not enough to resist the allure of cheap fanservice jokes.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally irredeemable trash. Will ResetEra please boycott Person 5 and all Persona games going forward to show the world how dedicated we are against the alt-right trash.
Or we can still have discussion about it and if people dont like it they can feel free to voice their concerns just like any game by thq nordic.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Eh, characters try to look under her skirt, and kept pushing her to model nude even after her repeated objections. This happens right after the aforementioned sexual abuse chapter, of which she is a central character in, and it's played for laughs. I couldn't help but feel like it undermined the Kamoshida chapter's message. That whole blackmailing the maid-fetish teacher business doesn't help the game either. After the first chapter you're lead to believe the game empathises with victims of sexual harassment and assault, but clearly not enough to resist the allure of cheap fanservice jokes.
It felt dissonant to me too, but them failing to perfectly uphold themes in a story is not tantamount to condoning sexual abuse/assault.
Media targeted towards teenagers often also tackle those sorts of topics.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Or we can still have discussion about it and if people dont like it they can feel free to voice their concerns just like any game by thq nordic.

Persona is alt-right? lol

Come on guys it's sarcasm, I was making fun of a certain group of people on Era.

(To clarify: I feel just as disappointed whenever something like this happen, but it's funny seeing hypocrites shouting boycott only to still buy the game later anyway.)

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Come on guys it's sarcasm, I was making fun of a certain group of people on Era.

(To clarify: I feel just as disappointed whenever something like this happen, but it's funny seeing hypocrites shouting boycott only to still buy the game later anyway.)
Fair enough.

I agree, I think this is extremely disappointing and irresponsible of Atlus, and they really need to do better. I also think some of the responses feel to me a bit excessive.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there's a teacher that sexually harasses students in the game? Why the fuck is that in the game? Why the fuck does Japan keep thinking that sexual assaults can be comedy?
It's not played for comedy at all. Did you play the game?

On a separate note, as someone who loves these games, it really sucks that they don't seem interested in growing much as a company and leave it all on localizers to try their best to clean up their messes. It's embarrassing.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At least the other users bothered to explain what was actually the case.

Well this post blew up, that explanation makes more sense and I'm glad to see it's not the conclusion I jumped to.

I mean to be clear this is also the same company that treats being gay or trans as comedy or even make them enemies so not knowing about the details of the game its not a far stretch to assume they are ok with jokes about sexual assault.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This person has been showing up in my recommendations a lot lately and I've watched a few of their videos. I knew I heard their name before and kept meaning to remind myself why. Now I remember.

Feels like this happens with most of my recommendations. Sheesh.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
At least the other users bothered to explain what was actually the case.

Well this post blew up, that explanation makes more sense and I'm glad to see it's not the conclusion I jumped to.
Not Kamoshida, but there are still absolutely scenes in the game that play sexual harassment for comedy.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, there's a teacher that sexually harasses students in the game? Why the fuck is that in the game? Why the fuck does Japan keep thinking that sexual assaults can be comedy?
It wasn't comedy in the game. It was blatantly condemned. It's a little disappointing that your mind first goes to humor with a subject like that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As someone who works in Marketing, I find it very hard to believe that whoever offered out the invites did not know about this.
Unfortunately, RelaxAlax's misdeeds went under the radar for many, even those here on Era. As mentioned already, while Atlus West still fucked up when they vetted the attendees & should still be held accountable, I could see how it happened due to negligence.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
As someone who works in Marketing, I find it very hard to believe that whoever offered out the invites did not know about this.
You would be surprised at how easy it is for something like this to be missed, especially when, sadly, his shittiness is not as well known (even among those who are aware of him) as it would be for someone like Logan Paul or JonTron or what not.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Unfortunately, RelaxAlax's misdeeds went under the radar for many, even those here on Era. As mentioned already, while Atlus West still fucked up when they vetted the attendees & should still be held accountable, I could see how it happened due to negligence.
Yeah, I get you. It's just that, when I'm dealing with a client who may be famous/infamous for a particular thing, I'm going to keep it in my mind to watch out for being brought up on that in future. Especially when $$$-related things like flights, hotels etc. are involved and budget could be wasted on it - it's a shame that it wasn't delved into properly.