• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
RelaxAlax is a known racist and sexual abuser. That didn't stop Atlus West from flying him out for a Persona 5 Royal preview event in Los Angeles this week. The Alexandria ballroom that served as the venue for the event has been described as Kamoshida's palace come to life. For those unaware, Kamoshida is a scumbag teacher sexually assaulting students in the game. Perhaps, so Atlus, that made RelaxAlax a perfect fit for the event.

image0-png.jpg

To make clear I am not promoting RelaxAlax's channel, a mere screencap to prove his participation

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"OK guys we've announced that we are taking efforts to fix the homophobic content in Persona 5 Royal. The guys in Japan aren't going to like this, so how can we uphold our reputation?"

Someone at Atlus West, probably, just before sending out the invite.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait, there's a teacher that sexually harasses students in the game? Why the fuck is that in the game? Why the fuck does Japan keep thinking that sexual assaults can be comedy?
Edit: Because the post (my mistake, of course) keeps getting quoted and derails the thread to some degree, I have already been corrected by several users here and acknowledge I was wrong about this character in the game.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Now that I think about it, feels weird to call them Atlus West when they are so focused on North America, that country to the East of Japan.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wait, there's a teacher that sexually harasses students in the game? Why the fuck is that in the game? Why the fuck does Japan keep thinking that sexual assaults can be comedy?
Persona 5 clearly depicts Kamoshida's actions as wrong & him as an irredeemable asshole who must be stopped (he's actually the first boss you fight). The OP likely mentioned him as a sort of parallel to RelaxAlax's own history of abuse & sexual assault.

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
User Banned (2 weeks): concern trolling, prior ban for trolling
I don't know the guy nor what he did, but is this an appropriate way to title the thread? I wouldn't label someone after what they did even if they were convicted and jailed...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard of this person before so I guess someone didn't do their research. Atlus probably used an outside marketing company to handle this rather than deal with invites internally.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I hadn't heard of this person before so I guess someone didn't do their research. Atlus probably used an outside marketing company to handle this rather than deal with invites internally.
Well that's just entirely too reasonable.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Miho being sexually assaulted wasn't played for comedy.

Ryuji being sexually assaulted was played for comedy.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Persona 5 clearly depicts Kamoshida's actions as wrong & him as an irredeemable asshole who must be stopped (he's actually the first boss you fight). The OP likely mentioned him as a sort of parallel to RelaxAlax's own history of abuse & sexual assault.
At least the other users bothered to explain what was actually the case.
He's the opening villain.
The basic premise of Persona 5 is entering the minds of corrupt adults to reform them.
Well this post blew up, that explanation makes more sense and I'm glad to see it's not the conclusion I jumped to.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

me neither, I feel like everyday I hear about some new piece of shit gamer YouTuber. Maybe whoever they hired to send invites saw who's popular and sent the invite, idk

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ryuji being sexually assaulted was played for comedy.
I'm assuming this is the homophobic scene?
It isn't comedy? Where the fuck did this come from?
It's coming from knowing there's a scene where 2 gay people sexually assault someone, the one they are actually editing in the localization. But yes, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions regarding this teacher character.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know the guy nor what he did, but is this an appropriate way to title the thread? I wouldn't label someone after what they did even if they were convicted and jailed...

"Controverse youtuber" would not exactly explain that he is a racist and sexual abuser like "racist and sexual abuser" =P

Oct 25, 2017
At least the other users bothered to explain what was actually the case.

Well this post blew up, that explanation makes more sense and I'm glad to see it's not the conclusion I jumped to.
I mean, you could've easily looked up that scenario instead of jumping, but glad you understand now.

(I mean if it were played for comedy you would've heard that backlash far far sooner)

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely feels like a case of hanlon's razor imo. I don't feel like each person is like personally handpicked and invited. Likely just a batch of people who might be relevant in getting the word out.

Unless there's more to this, I kind of feel like this is nothing or at least you can't reasonably get much out of it.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I can't keep up with how many youtubers are shitbags and I'm sure many of these companies are the same.

Oct 25, 2017

How would you have titled the thread? Like, given that the premise of the thread is that a racist person accused of sexual abuse was invited to try P5R, not acknowledging that would be burying the lede and make the thread come off as promotional from the title.

Insight into the standard vetting process for invites

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

As someone who works in marketing and has done this kind of work before: Atlus USA would have still gotten the list of attendees or invitees at some point for them to vet/make last minute changes to. This means it is still completely Atlus' fault.

I've had to google a whole bunch of people that companies have suggested we invite before and every one of them was vetted both internally and externally to prevent stuff like this from happening.

Atlus USA was careless, and whether they outsourced it or not, did a really poor job both on the optics front and on the actual follow through part of what they have been saying lately.

It's gross because I largely love Atlus games, but they need to stop punching themselves in the face unprovoked.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
This. His video about P5 is over 650k views and he definitely has influenced some purchases of that game too. This is what they look at first and foremost as oppose to his past. As others have said: Hanlon's Razer most likely.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I mean, you could've easily looked up that scenario instead of jumping, but glad you understand now.

(I mean if it were played for comedy you would've heard that backlash far far sooner)
Yeah, you're right. I wrongly assumed this would be a recurrent scenario where a homeroom teacher would play jokes during the weekdays in the game. And yes, what you mention in brackets makes absolute sense as well, this would've definitely been coupled with that infamous homophobic scene if it were something similar to what I assumed.