• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
if they could drop a P5 port and the localization of P5S nearby each other on Switch, that'd be super ideal and would make up for Switch somehow getting a sequel and not the original

A shame, it means that they will keep releasing the updated versions of their games at full price instead of it being a DLC.

There is no defense for this from a consumer PoV.

it's not excusable but they have been doing it for 13 years now, since P3FES. dont think much would change either way at this point

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
p4g on PC finally got me into the series. I'm ready for more Atlus.

tenor.gif
I'm still working through P4G on PC, but am really enjoying it and this will probably be me in a few weeks.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Reportedly, they're going to focus more on the PC market, as we've already seen with the release of P4G on Steam, which has been deemed "a success".

This looks really good for Atlus, and I think it's safe to say they're going to expand their PC market, I wouldn't be surprised if they released P5R and/or P5S on PC as well.
tenor.gif

Still many hours to go in P4G, but already jonesing for that P5R.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The report states that Atlus experienced a 423.8 million yen net loss (approximately $3.93 million USD) during its Fiscal Year Ended March 2020.
Overall, Atlus exceeded their target numbers for FY ended March 31, 2020, and contributed to Sega's profits as a result.

Help me understand this.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Help me understand this.
Quotes from another thread about the same report:
They transferred some rights to another division of Sega. So they made a profit just not on paper.

" Atlus recorded losses during the FY period ended March 2020 due in part by the effect brought upon by the amortization of business rights with the transfer of operations from Index Co., Ltd. in November 2013 to SEGA Dream Co., Ltd. "
In layman terms, Old Atlus was a division of Index Corporation, but after Index Corporation became bankrupt, their remaining Atlus and Index assets were sold to Sega and absorbed into a newly formed subsidiary called Sega Dream Corporation.

Sega Dream Corporation was later rebranded as Index Corporation and then rebranded again to Atlus with all the non-gaming assets of Sega Dream Corporation being spun-off into a new company called Index Corporation.

personacentral.com

Sega to Divide Index Corp. Into: Atlus and Index in April [Update] - Persona Central

Sega has announced, via a press release, that they will split their subsidiary, Index, into Atlus and Index on April 1.

Index Corporation was eventually sold off to Sawada Holdings because the company was no longer relevant within Sega Sammy's conglomerate.

I might have misread though, it seems sales were over expectations in NA and EU

not just EU/NA

↓

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2020 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)
(Taiwan)

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Sega) {2020.02.20}
(South Korea)

01./00. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Sega) {2020.02.20}

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2020 (Feb 24 - Mar 01)
(Taiwan)

01./01. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Sega) {2020.02.20}

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2020 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)
(Taiwan)

01./01. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Sega) {2020.02.20}

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2020 (Mar 09 - Mar 15)
(Taiwan)

04./01. [PS4] Persona 5 Royal <RPG> (Sega) {2020.02.20}

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play P5 Royal, but money is a bit short and I can't justify paying full price for it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Every day it becomes harder and harder to pretend that anyone at Atlus still remembers what an SMT is or what it stands for.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
A shame, it means that they will keep releasing the updated versions of their games at full price instead of it being a DLC.

I mean I wouldn't call it a defense rather than just a normal preference, but maybe some people just prefer a team being able to add new content throughout the whole game instead of a separate DLC campaign that leaves the base game mostly untouched?

I'd prefer if more games I love had the luxury of letting an experienced dev team keep working on them for a year+ after launch to keep making them better. I was pretty disappointed when it was announced Sword and Shield were never going to be finished in a hypothetical Pokemon Gun and instead we're just getting DLC side stories.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more happy Atlus USA is taking its time with 13 Sentinels and doing french and spanish localizations. I think I can wait for Scramble a bit more for that.

Beside, considering now Atlus USA also work for Sega titles like Yakuza (remember when in two years we got a lot titles?) and Sakura Wars they are quite busy.

Last edited:

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's Atlus West doing Atlus things.

just imagining the vitriol & outright madness of Scramble being exclusive would be legendary.

Considering Scramble is already released on switch and PS4 in Japan. If it was somehow exclusive to Xbox here, I'd say people being angry would actually be reasonable as opposed to most circumstances.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Good for them. P5 is Atlus' most succesful project in their history, anyone expecting the formula to change for P6 might want to play something else.

That said, the director for Scramble said recently that they would like to continue 5 as sort of its own sub series where the PTs travel the world and don't have to adhere to a calendar or other conventions of the main series which could be where they experiment more?
Continuing P5 as a sub-series sounds like a great idea.It's going to be a long time before P6 and Scramble seems high quality so why not?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where the hell Scramble for the west is. I don't think it took this long to confirm a release for P5D, PQ2, or P5R.
I know the game is under Koei Tecmo, but I wonder if the localization announcement is tied to an upcoming event.

Gonna throw my bet into the unlikely ring and say we see it at the Xbox show this month. Persona spin-offs can release on anything and MS trying to get Persona even if it's a spin-off only sounds like something they'd do to prop up the whole "japanese support". We've already see a few titles skip Japan but get ports for the west.
I really doubt we see it at the Xbox show...not because of any reason like "Atlus would never put it on Xbox", but just because it's not really a next gen game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
That said, the director for Scramble said recently that they would like to continue 5 as sort of its own sub series where the PTs travel the world and don't have to adhere to a calendar or other conventions of the main series which could be where they experiment more?

Yeah I could easily see them do that. They've been releasing one Persona 5 related game every year it since

2017 - Persona 5
2018 - Persona 5 Dancing Star Light
2019 - Persona Q2
2020 - Persona 5 Royal
2021 - Persona 5 Scramble (?)

Plus wasn't there a survey they asked where people would want to see the Phantom Thieves go next? I think Hawaii was the winner.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy for Atlus. They make such incredible games. I'm glad they finally are porting other games to other platforms like Persona 4 golden & Catherine. The future is definitely bright for Atlus.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're trying to give space in between musuo games now? But again it's been a while since the last Musuo game no? Was it One Piece?

Pirate warriors4 released in the spring. They don't currently have any musou games slated for release right now. I believe the next game will be Samurai Warriors 5, which could release either late this year or early next year. But it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe at TGS

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Pirate warriors4 released in the spring. They don't currently have any musou games slated for release right now. I believe the next game will be Samurai Warriors 5, which could release either late this year or early next year. But it hasn't been announced yet. Maybe at TGS
The Dynasty Warriors action series is celebrating 20 years this year so we're very likely to see a new Dynasty Warriors game this fall, assuming it wasn't delayed.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Portbegging
Nice.

Now give me P5R on Steam Atlus and i will gladly buy it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dynasty Warriors action series is celebrating 20 years this year so we're very likely to see a new Dynasty Warriors game this fall, assuming it wasn't delayed.

im not sure if DW9 fits their usual Xtreme Legends or Empires gameplay models Meanwhile, it's been several years (6) since the base version of Samurai Warriors 4, which was a cross gen game mind you. It's due for a new mainline entry whereas DW just came out. Maybe an enhanced version of DW9 for the next gen maybe? No reason why it could only be one or the other when they finally announce something. But I'm betting on SW5 than another DW iteration

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Just started P5S Chinese edition (about 2 hours plus in) . This is basically Persona 5 2, hope the pacing will be better than P5. It's such a high quality game and doesn't really feel like a spinoff so far.

Nelthar

Jan 14, 2020
Cool... so can you take my money now Atlus for english Persona 5 Scramble and Persona 5 on switch? Please just take my money already!! I want to explore Mementos on my toilet already!
EDIT: Also while we are at it, i would also love to throw even more cash to your face Atlus for P4G and P3 on switch :D

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
P5S localization is desperately needed. I'm almost done with Royal and I love it, I need more.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I've been waiting for Dynasty Warriors X to be revealed for awhile, mainly to see if they were still going to keep the open world formula 9 had

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo already lowkey confirmed the Scramle localization in their IR last year iirc (as Persona 5 Strikers). I wonder if Atlus signed a marketing deal with them that the canceled E3 Direct pushed?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
for that old SEGA fiscal thing, that was all of the packaged game sales combined fell short, not any individual game. And considering Atlus were gloating about over 400k Royal sales in Japan in a very short time, I doubt it was the culprit of falling short there

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need two things. A localization of Scramble and a Persona 5 Arena.
scramble is happening. for whatever reason we have no news. Only LOGICAL explanations are either COVID delayed the VAing or Nintendo has marketing here. Former is most likely. Or its just Atlus being Atlus

as for Arena, they trademarked P5U and got new domains registered not that long ago. I assume its still happening. But that could change

bhare418

Dec 31, 2019

Persona 5 Royal and Persona 5 are different games. Royal does not replace 5, and playing Royal doesn't mean you shouldn't play Persona 5. The amount of content and changes added to P5R is staggering, but it isn't necessarily better. It really is worth at least 40-50 dollars, and at that point, there is no reason for it to be DLC.