• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Start capitalizing on your properties or you wont survive Atlus. Put your titles on Switch, PC, etc. WTF is wrong with you?!?!

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Well, no. But it does mean someone at Atlus saw the expected revenue projections and said "yup, this game makes sense to release and put out." Beating those revenue projections seems like a good sign. So whatever else may be true, Atlus themselves seem to be happy with the results.

Personal opinion: I hadn't really followed Atlus stuff as much this year, so looking at their list of released games was a bit shocking. Etrian Odyssey really putting in work there between Nexus and Persona Q2, but generally slim pickings all around.
In no universe releasing a downport of a Ps3/360 game to Vita in 2019 for JP only (for less than 10k sales) made any sense.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Of course users on here lack reading comprehension lol. Congrats to Atlus on reaching their sales goals.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I echo the PC people wanting more of their games on the platform. Why would I have gotten the PC catherine locked to old content when it released at the same ballpark time as the expanded version on ps4... that was crazy, as if they begged for the release to fail to sell...

It's good the platform is on their report, but there's nothing to be proud of right now strategy wise.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I actually read 900 million DOLLAR loss. That would've been devastating for them and I'm glad i misread.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm not surprised at that massive loss, Atlus make some real boneheaded decisions and they hate money!

giphy.gif

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
i copy and pasted the articles title. it's not my fault people here who hate atlus like to shitpost.
Copying and pasting a misleading title from somewhere else doesn't absolve you from spreading misinformation.

Speaking of misinformation, if you ask me the real reason for the loss has got to be that they spend way too much on protein powder and gym membership for their localization staff

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they do seem to hate money, so I guess they should be happy now.
Also, I call BS on the amortization excuse. Other companies have costs like that and still manage to turn a profit.

Came for this comment and first post it is.

Their games are among the most port-begged-for and IMO it is justified. A masterpiece like Persona 4 Golden trapped on Vita is just wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess there was always going to be some sort of issue with moving away from Index. Still, I can't help but feel that they could've lessened their losses if they had been smarter about some of their releases, mainly their 3DS and Vita ones

Why I have a feeling that we want get as much or any "why Atlus hates money" posts in SMTV exclusivity threads
We'll get plenty of those, considering that that already happens in SMTV threads. Maybe not as much but that's because there is nothing to indicate that the game could be coming to the PS4/PS5 like there was with Persona 5

Ofc we won't. Cause SMTV as a Switch only release will be a "smart" move.
You mean like how no one is complaining about the whole DQXIS situation? Let's not pretend that Sony fans don't do their own share of complaining. Quite a few folk here are already unironically complaining about the game not being multiplatform

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Additionally, game distribution in the PC games market continues to expand, with platforms like Steam.

Is there a reason why the Persona games are not on it yet?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ofc we won't. Cause SMTV as a Switch only release will be a "smart" move.

Haha bullshit. We had a whole year of "HD project means its not Switch exclusive!!!!" posts and the only reason we didn't get a thread full of port begging when it was confirmed as a Switch exclusive is because Resetera didn't exist.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird of them to say that the games they released this past fiscal year performed strongly when they were all bombs
With proper budgeting and expectations games don't need to sell large amounts to be successful. Atlus has been around for decades because they plan and budget well.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Why I have a feeling that we want get as much or any "why Atlus hates money" posts in SMTV exclusivity threads
Because portbegging is bannable in official threads.

But it's not bannable here, where platform support is topical and salient to discussion. So we get Switch owners portbegging P5, PS4 owners portbegging SMTV and PC gamers portbegging both. And justifiably so, they'd all do well. They should both get Xbox ports as well really.

Personally if I'm going to portbeg from Atlus I'd sooner ask for a TMS#FE port. That game actually needs it.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the replies in this thread, it's no surprise the industry is secretive about sales numbers. So many dumb people with awful takes and a lack of basic reading comprehension.

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, game distribution in the PC games market continues to expand, with platforms like Steam.

Is there a reason why the Persona games are not on it yet?
Rigidity in both tradition and developer bias. Though it's probably mostly they don't bother spending what little surplus money they're making on more ports.

That said, can someone explain the repayments to me? I don't think I ever heard about those until just now when it brought their fiscal year into the negative.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus reported a net loss of 686 million yen for Fiscal Year Ended March 2018, and net loss of 570 million for Fiscal Year Ended March 2017.

Note that P5, or Atlus' by far strongest selling game to date sold during these two fiscal years, which may account for the difference between those years' loss and this year.

I know people want the games ported to other platforms, but acting like you know more about atlus' financials than they do is beyond stupid.

Buck Dancer

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a you're not allowed to have an opinion on a company's business practices because you're not in the business in this thread, apparently. Pretty weird.
I'm no business cat, I'm just a simple consumer. If Atlus is losing money it's not surprising considering many of their decisions seem counterproductive to what the market wants.

Yeah I'm no insider but I buy games and I know other people who buy games. So I know at least a fraction of what's going on. Atlus simply isn't catering to market well enough. They seem to exist in a bubble completely oblivious to what people want. I'm not surprised though a lot of Japanese game publishers are like that.

Square Enix didn't even know about the Trials of Mana fan translation until they recently googled it.
Like, imagine, not knowing people want to give you money.
I get that it's not always financially feasible but like... at least pay attention.

Its not about being an Atlus insider per se, but the lack of general understanding of concepts like amortization, good will and write-offs that tend to lead to a skewed analysis of the health of any said company. This is often the case in threads like this.

I would not draw any conclusion just yet, as the actual full performance needs to be looked at.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Rigidity in both tradition and developer bias. Though it's probably mostly they don't bother spending what little surplus money they're making on more ports.

That said, can someone explain the repayments to me? I don't think I ever heard about those until just now when it brought their fiscal year into the negative.
It happened when they became a Sega studio. Iirc, amoritzation is about paying off debt from a loan. So SEGA got a loan and the loss is from repayments to the loanholder, under Atlus' name for tax reasons most likely.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Note that P5, or Atlus' by far strongest selling game to date sold during these two fiscal years, which may account for the difference between those years' loss and this year.

I know people want the games ported to other platforms, but acting like you know more about atlus' financials than they do is beyond stupid.

Yes. And I don't think "release on all platforms" is a strategy that always works. If that's the case every company would be doing that. There are costs involved in porting and Atlus is not a big company. I don't get the complaints about the 3DS games either because Atlus has always been late in moving to the newest platform.

SMTV being exclusive to Nintendo is actually a good move for them, especially seeing how well it worked with SMTIV and Nintendo giving them the full backing.

someone explain to me the " they hate money" are you guys talking about ports or what?

It's people thinking porting games cost no effort or resources and involve no risks. Hence companies who don't port their games to the Switch or PC must hate money. It's honestly quite a stupid argument and some people in this thread are using this report as ammunition to port beg.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That sounds like a shitty situation , they are profitable compared to operating costs and have a healthy revenue stream but were so far in debt 6 (!!) years ago that they are still footing the bill. Wonder how much of that cost they have left to deal with before they can start storing some cash instead of sinking it into interest payments ?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like how no one is complaining about the whole DQXIS situation? Let's not pretend that Sony fans don't do their own share of complaining. Quite a few folk here are already unironically complaining about the game not being multiplatform
The situation is very different. DQ XI was released less than a year ago on PS4 and now they are releasing a better version for Switch. And tbh that's not even the problem here, the problem is that they are not offering any ways for PS4 owners to get the new contents buy paying for a expansion/DLC that adds them.

And again the main issue is that they are fixing stuff like music which was a big complain from PS4 players, but aren't giving alternatives for PS4 owners.
Haha bullshit. We had a whole year of "HD project means its not Switch exclusive!!!!" posts and the only reason we didn't get a thread full of port begging when it was confirmed as a Switch exclusive is because Resetera didn't exist.
Are we gonna pretend that Switch discussions weren't allowed when P5R didn't have a definitive platform announced and all we had was a PS logo? SMT HD was in the same situation so I don't get why you are upset that people thought it would be on PS4 at the time.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I believe these are all the games that Atlus released in this period:

P3/5 Dancing
EON
Persona Q2
Catherine remake

If I'm not mistaken, none of those games sold as well as previous entries in their respective series. Then again, they may have been expecting this (3DS dying, smaller budget spent on the dancing games, a remake of a relatively recent game that didn't need a remake).

Does Atlus handle SMT Liberation Dx 2 or is that all Sega?

Yeah they sold less combined than P4D did alone, so they clearly did not meet expectations.

Unless they were expecting them to sell less.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is doing fine - weird responses.
They did hold on to long to 3DS/PSV though - some of these project would have performed better on Switch even if they were just 1:1 port.

But yeah.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they sold less combined than P4D did alone, so they clearly did not meet expectations.

Someone posted a graph in the PQ2 OT and that sold far less than the original too, so I expect both of those spin off series to be finished now unless they decide to port them.
At the same time, P3D and P5D have less content than P4D did. Budget was likely less than for P4D.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I believe these are all the games that Atlus released in this period:

P3/5 Dancing
EON
Persona Q2
Catherine remake

If I'm not mistaken, none of those games sold as well as previous entries in their respective series. Then again, they may have been expecting this (3DS dying, smaller budget spent on the dancing games, a remake of a relatively recent game that didn't need a remake).

Does Atlus handle SMT Liberation Dx 2 or is that all Sega?
None of them had any reason to beat their previous entries and it's obvious Atlus expected that.