• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's 2019. Releasing games on multiple platforms is not hard at all.

People love to pretend Atlus is some small garage company that isnt owned by freaking SEGA

Or that even without SEGA atlus had no problem porting other smaller niche stuff to multiplatforms to begin with

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I still think it's weird that P4 the Golden never appeared on PS4

Still need to play it :(

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Ask for them to remake the Persona games, ask for Sony to make the entire catalogue of PlayStation to be BC from PS1 to PS4 and PSP to PSVita but stop port begging games. Buy a vita to play P4G or P3S or even Persona 1 and 2.

By your stupid logic golden shouldnt even be a thing. Why make a version for the vita? You can still buy a ps2 and the game there.

Also you completely ignored everyone wanting a definitve version of P3 instead of a straight port of either FES or P3P? Of course you did.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ask for them to remake the Persona games, ask for Sony to make the entire catalogue of PlayStation to be BC from PS1 to PS4 and PSP to PSVita but stop port begging games. Buy a vita to play P4G or P3S or even Persona 1 and 2.
Nah I think I'll stick to asking for playable versions of games that are currently only on dead systems.

Yahabane

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 29, 2019

The Vita is dead. This will not save the platform no matter how much you want it. It's akin to asking someone to buy a Wii U nowadays. Ports exist for a reason -- because people want to play older titles on their new consoles. It doesn't matter how much you personally hate it, ports will always be a thing in the gaming industry.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By your stupid logic golden shouldnt even be a thing. Why make a version for the vita? You can still buy a ps2 and the game there.

Also you completely ignored everyone wanting a definitve version of P3 instead of a straight port of either FES or P3P? Of course you did.
PS2 version doesn't have a PSN where you can buy the games plus I don't care if you bought the PS2 version, more power to you.A definitive version is a port.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I was also frustrated when trying to decide what version of P3 to play due to the trade-offs. I ended up going with FES because I had owned it unopened for a decade, and you can actually "mod" in party control on an emulator.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Wanting games stuck on dead consoles isn't "portbegging".
It's impossible to play Persona 3 and 4 on modern consoles. It's like if you said "stop portbegging" to someone wanting The Wonderful 101 on Switch.
Wii U is a console from this gen, like the Vita. But those two are still dead consoles that no one wants to buy in fucking 2019, we're not in 2016 or 2017 anymore, those two are dead since a long time.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyway, would love Persona 4 Golden on any modern console. I started with 5 and loved it so much it's one of my favorite games. Was shocked there was no convenient way to play it especially as I was a new convert and figured there had to be tons of others like me.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I'll say this, there's currently only 1 NEW Atlus game released in THIS gen and that's Persona 5 and I'm counting P5 this gen because of the Royal edition only. The 2 dancing games are both vita/ps4 and spin-offs so I'm not really counting them, and Scramble is not made by Atlus.
We have 3 more (SMT V, Re: Fantasy and EO) probably coming at the end of this gen. Again, probably, I really hope none gets pushed back to hard. Why am I telling you this? Because it's obvious that Atlus has problems with making HD game and/or are to small to handle to many projects.
Why waist time with 2 game that both got one or even two remake and a ps3 port?
Would it be good to outsource the projects and tasked them to remake both P3 and P4 in the P5 engine? It'd be perfect. Will they do it? I have no idea, it doesn't seem like it. I just hope Atlus focuses on new games from now on and speeds up in some aspects to the 21 century like everybody else.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe start by putting ONE Persona or SMT game on PC.
All we have from Atlus is Catherine. And not even Full Body!

They treat the PC like it's radioactive or something.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
P3/P4 golden would sell well on modern systems, a PC/Ps4/XO/Switch port of P4G would be well-received, but the same can be said about P5.

Atlus likes to do strange things all the time, it's sad that P4G can be played only on the Vita (even if I think that the new content is not that good) but porting it to home consoles will show that is a Ps2 game and it doesn't look that good, the character models are really basic, for example.

Considering that making the games look decent on a big screen is a decent effort, I think we won't see the games on any new platform soon, if ever.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe start by putting ONE Persona or SMT game on PC.
All we have from Atlus is Catherine. And not even Full Body!

They treat the PC like it's radioactive or something.

The first persona got a pc version
You could even say there are more mainline persona games on pc than nintendo which is nuts

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So many classic Atlus games stuck on legacy systems with no inclination of any ports happening for SMT, Persona, Devil Survivor or any of them on modern console and PC. Such an easy money grab. I just don't understand the thought process.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
PSP and PSTV emulation on PS5 would help with this, but honestly? I really think Atlus should take advantage of Persona's greater popularity and straight-up remake 3&4 in the P5 engine. Big project but it would be worth it, and cheaper than making new games.
Eh, haven't played 3 or 5, but I did my first run of 4 Golden last year and I don't think it needs a remake at all. Can't think of many QOL improvements that could only be done by remaking it, and porting it to new consoles would mean getting better textures and lighting anyways.

Your comment reminded me of SMTV when thinking about "new Atlus games", I wonder if we'll get news soon.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, haven't played 3 or 5, but I did my first run of 4 Golden last year and I don't think it needs a remake at all. Can't think of many QOL improvements that could only be done by remaking it, and porting it to new consoles would mean getting better textures and lighting anyways.

Character animations for starters, its baffling how different they are from 4 and 5 and 5 is far from being a top example on how to do animations
A remake could also improve the dungeons to be more on par with the P5 counterparts and give more purpose to social links outside party members like the confidants were. Plus add one or two new party members, P4 to this day is still the smallest group from all games

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Knowing Atlus and their outdated tactics, they will put out a bunch on PS4 once the PS5 comes out. They work so slow and inefficient

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For those saying Atlus is too small to handle themselves... They can use port shops like everyone else haha. And are owned by Sega who has a ton of port shops.

Hopefully we'll hear something in the next few years that brings a lot of these titles forward to modern systems. I don't want full remakes at all just a convenient way to play them.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I don't get why they didn't just release quick and dirty ports on Switch and PS4 to cash in on Persona 5s success. Just up rez them, release them digitally and get some profit. Outsource it if you can't do it yourself.

It makes me think there's a problem with the music licensing or something.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. P4G should not be stuck on the Vita in 2019. I'm surprised it hasn't been ported.

As for P3, I wish the extra content in P3P would be added to FES. No definitive version for it.

I'll also take P2 and SMT Nocturne and DDS and... yeah.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they didn't just release quick and dirty ports on Switch and PS4 to cash in on Persona 5s success. Just up rez them, release them digitally and get some profit. Outsource it if you can't do it yourself.

It makes me think there's a problem with the music licensing or something.

Atlus has no interest as a company in quick and dirty rereleases. Their entire business model is built on making a game and then rereleasing the successful ones with an upgraded version with some additional content later when they see an opportunity.

/If/ they decide to rerelease persona 3 or 4 again, it'll be proper versions remade for the modern console they choose to bring it to.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Atlus released FIVE enhanced Persona ports between 4 & 5 so I wouldn't be surprised if we got some more between 5 & 6 besides just Royal. However...

I feel like Persona 3 would require a major remake to get it up to today's standards at which point you have to wonder if that's time & money that wouldn't be better spent on just making Persona 6.

Persona 4 Golden still holds up well today so they could just port the thing.

And if you're a Persona fan, buying a Vita isn't a crazy idea. You get access to 5 of the Persona games (1 PSP, 2 IS PSP, 2 EP PS1, 3 Portable, 4 Golden), a bunch of PS1 RPG classics, a bunch of other RPGs, and just a lot of good games.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Atlus released FIVE enhanced Persona ports between 4 & 5 so I wouldn't be surprised if we got some more between 5 & 6 besides just Royal. However...

I feel like Persona 3 would require a major remake to get it up to today's standards at which point you have to wonder if that's time & money that wouldn't be better spent on just making Persona 6.

And if you're a Persona fan, buying a Vita isn't a crazy idea. You get access to 5 of the Persona games (1 PSP, 2 IS PSP, 2 EP PS1, 3 Portable, 4 Golden), a bunch of PS1 RPG classics, a bunch of other RPGs, and just a lot of good games.

It's easier to buy a ps2 than a vita where i live
but it would be even easier to just have a version avaliable on the console i already own and its also host to a bunch of other rpgs and a lot of good games instead of needing to buy a dead, discontinued console. the vita could have all persona games except 5? well the ps4 could have all the persona games AND 5. why not? its not like the vita versions werent port themselves, so why is such a taboo to ask for ports to other systems?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
So what system should they port it on? Everything? One thing? If I recall correctly, Atlus is small, they can't just Final Fantasy everything on everything.

If they're going to do a straight port of Fes and Golden, it will be great to have it on PS4, PC and the Switch. If they're doing a proper remake of either 3 or 4, which is a possibility, because they already have some HD assets for Persona 3 and Persona 4 from Dancing spin-offs, this would be probably limited only to PS4, considering how Atlus is operating with remakes and restricts them to a single platform.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

Personally I find buying a Vita mostly redundant because while it has a lot of games not only almost all of them are also on PS3 or PS4 but as a handheld device more than half of the interesting lineup has been ported to Switch already, it seems every month a game that used to be only playable portably on the Vita is now on Switch, so the console in my book is not worth it as much anymore.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I find buying a Vita mostly redundant because while it has a lot of games not only almost all of them are also on PS3 or PS4 but as a handheld device more than half of the interesting lineup has been ported to Switch already, it seems every month a game that used to be only playable portably on the Vita is now on Switch, so the console in my book is not worth it as much anymore.

Sure, but there's still a lot of stuff on the Vita that is unlikely to get ported to the Switch like the PSP library (so much SRPG goodness) or the PS1 classics. I'm just saying that if you're a fan of Persona, you fit the Vita's target demographic. I've gotten way more use out of my Vita than I have of my PS4 (which other than Persona 5 and the occasional Sony exclusive that I like such as Gravity Rush 2 is just a less powerful PC or a non-portable Switch in my house).

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree OP. Ive played Persona 4 Golden on PS TV but would love a Remaster/Remake on Switch (or PS4, but honestly Switch). Never played Persona 3 and would buy a Switch Version in an instant.

One would think such ports/remasters/remakes should be in the best interest of Atlus, as they are bringing SMT V to Switch and could build their fanbase up with such games. They got Joker in Smash and bring a musou....

But well they are not the only ones with weird decisions. SE doesn't let me buy Xenogears in EU PS-Store and you would think the good Xenoblade 2 numbers should be enough to bring (at least) remasters of Xenogears and Xenosaga (Namco) to Switch .

I haven't given up hope just yet.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing Atlus and their outdated tactics, they will put out a bunch on PS4 once the PS5 comes out. They work so slow and inefficient
Can you back that claim up in some way ?

Lets not get ridiculous here - sure i would also love Remasters of some of their classics, but calling them inefficient is ridiculous.
How many devs regardless of their size release massive ass titles ala Persona ?

The trend of suggesting that devs are lazy, stupid etc. because game or port X isnt happening has to stop. Might be difficult for people from the outside looking in to understand - but they are a business after all and they will have reasons why they handle their IPs the way they do.

And looking at the trends...their series keep growing and growing so they must do something right.

Of course they are gonna stay on PS4 for a bit - unless you are maxing out the PS4 and need the PS5 power there is no need to move on from +100 Mio PS4 when the PS5 has BC anyway. PS5 might get an up port but a dev of the size of Atlus would be crazy to go PS5 exclusive anytime soon.

Its 2019 - no one is buying a Vita to play these games.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, while I'd like a p3 remake, a p2 remake would be much preffered. I've tried it like four times and always burn out very quickly. It very distinctly feels like an old game and has aged pretty poorly imo.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Atlus has no interest as a company in quick and dirty rereleases. Their entire business model is built on making a game and then rereleasing the successful ones with an upgraded version with some additional content later when they see an opportunity.

/If/ they decide to rerelease persona 3 or 4 again, it'll be proper versions remade for the modern console they choose to bring it to.

But, like... why?

It's just money on the table.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But, like... why?

It's just money on the table.

They think there's more value for their brand in making every sure every product they release looks like it was built for that platform.

"you're just leaving money on the table" is an argument they obviously don't agree with, because they presumably have decided they can make more in the long run by maintaining everything be done in house and every project be a high effort one.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've played all of those other old games I would rather Atlus make new stuff.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
It would be absolutely amazing if the PS5 would play Vita and PSP games purchased digitally. I would imagine the PSP would be fairly easy to do, as that hardware can natively play PSOne classics that the PS3 can also play. Vita may be a more difficult system to emulate.

But if PS5 gets BC like this, then there's no need to port - the PSP ports of P1 and 2IS are on PSN now, and 2EP is a PSOne Classic. P3P and P3FES (PS2 Classic) are also available. The only gap would be P4G at that point.

Sony, please make this happen... ;)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It would be absolutely amazing if the PS5 would play Vita and PSP games purchased digitally. I would imagine the PSP would be fairly easy to do, as that hardware can natively play PSOne classics that the PS3 can also play. Vita may be a more difficult system to emulate.

But if PS5 gets BC like this, then there's no need to port - the PSP ports of P1 and 2IS are on PSN now, and 2EP is a PSOne Classic. P3P and P3FES (PS2 Classic) are also available. The only gap would be P4G at that point.

I would rather have a P3 Remaster/Remake than playing P3P on my PS5.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty good idea for those who want to play the older games. I like this!