• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Total sales for Persona 5 Royal have surpassed 1.4 units worldwide, and total sales for Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers have surpassed 480,000 units in Japan and Asia, Atlus announced

The company also confirmed that the previously 500,000 players for the PC version of Persona 4 Golden equates to its sales number.

www.gematsu.com

Persona 5 Royal sales top 1.4 million; Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers tops 480,000

Total sales for Persona 5 Royal have surpassed 1.4 units worldwide, and total sales for Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers have surpassed 480,000 units in Japan and Asia, Atlus announced.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Royal's performance tells me that Persona is an incredibly strong brand on Playstation.
Golden's performance tells me that 1m+ sales are lost due to being exclusive.

Scramble doing pretty well too considering it's not localized yet. Should be an easy million seller too.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Crazy good numbers. Atlus is on fire with Persona.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see 1.4m sales of Royal already considering it's an enhanced/reworked release of the same game on the same platform at full price. It tells me that the brand is very strong with this audience.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
We already knew the Golden numbers but those Royal numbers are crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Google translated from the original post

" With a cumulative total of 480,000, the series' first PC porting work "Persona 4 The Golden" has surpassed the cumulative sales of 500,000 worldwide "

I wonder if that means 480k sales at the time of the first announcement with 20k players using family share

I hope it leads to more PC ports
There's always room for doubt when it comes to Atlus

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I think the numbers for Royal could've been higher if not for the current state of the world.

Plat'd the game, bought the collector's at full price, one of the best games this year.

Hoping Sega/ATLUS puts more towards the Persona series.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very strong performance on PlayStation but they're missing million and more by not releasing on platforms like PC or Switch. Hopefully changes in the future if P4G's sales are any indication.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Persona 5 Royal sales top 1.4 million; Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers tops 480,000

Total sales for Persona 5 Royal have surpassed 1.4 units worldwide, and total sales for Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers have surpassed 480,000 units in Japan and Asia, Atlus announced.

Hey OP, if you can update the second part of the quote, this is a more accurate statement:

Gematsu said:
The company also confirmed that the PC version of Persona 4 Golden sold 500,000 units after previously announcing it achieved 500,000 players.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, Persona 4 Golden by player tracker Steam software (like PlayTrackerNet) estimate P4G has had over 800k sales on PC so far based on the data, so we're probably before the end of the year going to get a 1 million sales point from Atlus on P4G.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I think the numbers for Royal could've been higher if not for the current state of the world.

Plat'd the game, bought the collector's at full price, one of the best games this year.

I know of four sales off the top of my head including myself that only bought this game (first persona title) because of the state of the world tbh. I've always been a hard no because of the prominence people place on the 100+ hours of gametime but figured if I was ever going to try the series, now's the time. And like I said, at least three of my friends did the same for the same reason. It's a good investment for being stuck without anything else to do.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Cool, cool. The franchise deserves even more sales, Atlus should really just make them multi-plat. Imagine how much they'd do then (just look at those P4G PC numbers, hot damn - now take PC and Switch into the mix for P5R for instance).
And P4G obviously could profit from going multi as well.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's a matter of time. They probably have some timed exclusivity deal and probably don't mind the extra money from people double dipping.

They don't. Nothing indicates they have any kind of deal with Sony, it's just that the majority of Persona players in Japan are Playstation owners and they operate with that logic.

Their worldwide release plans recently have been nonsensical. Thank god for worldwide release of SMT5.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

if anything current state of the world boosted Royal numbers. Game sales have been way up during this spring as people have been staying home and needed something to do.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking cool, Joker!
I still need to buy Royal. Will definitely do that some time in the future. Glad to see it's doing well.
I also hope P4G's sales will mean that Atlus is gonna port more of their games to more platforms. These games deserve to be played by as many people as possible.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Very good numbers. The FIGS translation also helped to give P5R a boost making the game accessible to a lot of people that couldn't play the original because of the language barrier.

I wonder what they were expecting from P4G. Sure took them long enough to realize that they were leaving a ton of money on the table.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
They don't. Nothing indicates they have any kind of deal with Sony, it's just that the majority of Persona players in Japan are Playstation owners and they operate with that logic.

Their worldwide release plans recently have been nonsensical. Thank god for worldwide release of SMT5.

I don't buy it. Shortsighted? Definitely, but not nonsensical. They simply ignored Steam because they were just looking at the Japanese market where the PC market is miniscule. With so many other jrpgs finding success there the last few years it seems they 're starting to realize that is more than a viable place for their games.

On the other hand with how great P4G Vita sold and how portable/handheld heavy the market there is, there 's no way they 'd normally lose the chance for a Switch release for Royale. Even if you assume your fanbase is more PS loyal, unless you're some kind of small extra niche developer you don't have the luxury to leave money on the table.

The fact that Scramble was not exclusive while being sort of a pseudo-sequel and an action game with more limitation and downgrades in the Switch port seals the deal.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at Royal numbers

🤯

And amazing sales for scramble since it is just one continent. Strong sales for golden too. Damn persona has come a long way

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Can't believe that many people bought Royal full price (for those that already played vanilla 5 beforehand I mean).

Great numbers all around.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Which means Persona 5 + Persona 5 Royal = more than 4,6 million, by the way.
ek5M55Q.gif

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
P5R is gonna sell more than 500k on pc in first 2 month so what are you waiting for Atlus?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ok Atlus let us have that scramble release date and you'll see another half million.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Those numbers for a re-release on only one platform are impressive. Persona has now become a mainstream JRPG.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for the series, and it's clear at this point there's a big audience for Persona games on PlayStation and PC at the very least. There's a lot of Persona games trapped on older systems that would get a brilliant second wind on modern platforms, so they really should be shooting to have the entire series on PC and PS4 as a baseline, as PS4 backwards compatibility will ensure these games can continue to sell on future systems and on PC they are pretty much preserved forever.

And by "entire series" I also mean the Persona Q games too, not just the older PS1/PS2/PSP games. I know the Q series has some unique touchscreen functions that make them pretty bespoke to the 3DS form factor, but I think a lot of people would settle for some sort of automapping compromise if they could play the games on modern hardware.

I also think Switch is a no-brainer for the series, and to be honest I'd even try introducing the series to Xbox fans via Game Pass.

Just release them on everything is all I'm saying. The more people who get to play these games, the better.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

Majority of Persona players in Japan are Playstation owners is because the mainline Persona games are only released on Playstation. Pretty sure if Persona 6 released on Switch the Japan Persona fanbase would buy it, given that Japan loves handheld consoles.

Not sure how big PC is in Japan, though.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Royal did pretty well considering a lot of P5 players are/were holding off until it got cheaper.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Great sales.

Royal would sell a lot more if it weren't limited to one system if we take a look at P4G sales on the PC.