• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm still in the camp of "Not a canon name unless it appears in a canon game".

So to me, the only protagonists with canon names are Tatsuya, Maya, and Yu, thanks to Arena. (Dunno if Joker is called Ren in Scramble, or if Scramble is even canon - if so, Ren too).

Scramble is Canon but Joker doesn't have a Canon name in it.

Scramble is a full on Persona game so that's not surprising.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
1257098446294.png

For some reason I was expecting her to share her family name with the male protag, seeing as both have the same history. Or did they?

Maybe they're different people in the same Universe?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally getting around to Royal now, and going forward I just wish they would give them a name and stick with it. I get that it's a long-standing RPG tradition to name your playable character yourself, but in a game where everything is fully voiced it gets silly when everyone calls you by generic stand ins when the text says the name you typed in.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm finally getting around to Royal now, and going forward I just wish they would give them a name and stick with it. I get that it's a long-standing RPG tradition to name your playable character yourself, but in a game where everything is fully voiced it gets silly when everyone calls you by generic stand ins when the text says the name you typed in.

At least having a code name helps mitigate this.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Can't wait for all of the fans to ignore the official name and use the awkward sounding fan-name anyway for the next thirty years like what usually happens in this fan base

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it but I wish she'd had the same last name as P3 Hero(Yuki).

Speaking of I wish Atlus would stop being so wishy washy about using Makoto Yuki and Ren Amamiya. Joker still being silent in Scramble is really annoying and I hope they don't try that again if we get a P5 Arena.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
A female protag was such a great idea. I hope the future perspna games incorporate the concept again, even if it has to be in the rerelease versions.

Yeah I remember enjoying it a lot in P3P, especially since FeMC felt like a distinct character from the male protagonist. With characters having different lines to say to FeMC, as well as I think at least 1 exclusive social link (and some changes in dialog in other ones as well, though been a while since I played the game so my memory is fuzzy), I really liked how it felt like they put some effort into developing her as a different character rather than just a simple palette swap of avatars.

Loved Person 4 and 5, but always found it a bit of a bummer that they never went back to giving a FeMC option in those games. Hypothetically if they had added one to P5R that's probably the only thing that would have gotten me to replay all 100 hours+ of that game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Persona Q2 doesn't give you enough room in the name input to write the character's canon names in English. So, there's a fan-made patch that just replaces whatever name you put with the canon names and this was the name they used for FeMC.
My names for the non-Joker protagonists in PQ2 were:

P4 - Sense Ayyyy
FeMC - Fem See
P3 - Nick Sensyde

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Doesn't that name mean something like "kill kill"? I can't believe people prefer that edgy garbage lol
It doesn't, it'd be more like.. Dawn Bearer or Dawn Bringer. But yes, it is a very silly and edgy sounding name.

It vaguely sounds like "A Killer" and then a mispronunciation of "korosu" which means "To Kill", but not in a way that is meaningful to any Japanese person or speaker.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Could they also give official name for P1 protagonist too?

All we got was from manga...

And maybe P6 will have official name from the get go, so it don't have to wait until manga/anime/stage show...

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Shame I can't play it as it's not available in my region on iOS. It's weird because I do remember playing it on my phone some years ago.