• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
(note: this is more about most people not complaining enough about Atlus in general like they do with many other companies more than people not complaining here in ERA)
During the last few years I have seen Atlus adding some pretty nasty business practices in their games, not as bad as EA, Activision or 2K, but still, they have done some pretty crappy stuff, for some reason worse than the things their parent company Sega adds to their games, but people have barely talked about them at all.

For once they have released day one DLC for almost all of their recent games, with many costumes, music or characters for their games being sold separately, something that many companies do and it's never good, but aside from that they have sold as DLC things like the OG art style for the character portraits for Radiant Historia Remake, characters in Catherine full body that originally were unlockables or a pay to win level up booster in Persona Q2. As I said, many companies do these things and they have recieved a lot of criticism but I personally have barely seen people doing the same with Atlus.

They have also locked full games behind other games, they recently revealed that a PS4 port of Princess Crown will be added to 13 Sentinels but only for the people who pre order the game, which is pretty bad, but maybe one can say it doesn't matter that much because it's an old game, but there is an even worse case, being the PS4 version of Persona 4 Dancing all Night, which you could only buy if you bought both Persona 3 and 5 Dancing in the same console, which is a pretty terrible deal, the same happened with Activision selling COD4 Remastered as a pre oreder bonus for Infinity Warfare and they got a lot of criticism for that and eventually they released it standalone, but here it's been over a year and it is still a just bonus, oh, and the DLC that was in the OG Vita version is still paid, because of course. Speaking of these, releasing 2 games that are basically the same thing and could have been only one package it's also something they did with the Dacing games and no one really cared about it, Nintendo did the same thing with Fire Emblem Fates and to this day it's one of the reasons so many people hate that game but here no one really cared about that.

And finally there is the case of re releases, first with Catherine Full Body being $60, and I know it has some great new stuff but still, it's not really a remake (it was also released on the Vita after all, a huge visual improvment was impossible), just a port with new stuff, similar to some of the Wii U ports to Switch made by Nintendo like Mario Kart 8 DX or Hyrule Warriors that have made a lot of people mad recently for their price (myself included), but in the case of Catherine I personally barely saw anyone saying anything. And of course there is the case of Selling Persona 5 again for PS4 users as The Royale without any kind of discount for people who already bought the original version. In this case I have seen a lot of criticism but the sad thing is that recently many Atlus fans have made fun of many of those people for complaining. I remember that there were a lot of angry people for Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which was basically the same thing, and for what I can tell no one got that much hate for saying their opinion.

My point is that overall Atlus recently has been one of the worst japanese companies when it comes to business practices and no one really cares, there have been many Youtube videos about EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Konami or Koei Tecmo for doing crappy anti consumer things, but no one has said anything major about Atlus doing similar things and some even celebrate them or make fun of the people who complain, which is sad and Atlus probably is going to get worse and worse for this reason.

note1: sorry if my english is not the best
note2: if I have a mistake please tell me
note3: if there was a similar thread about this and I did't see it, sorry

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
User Warned: Drive-by posting.
this is your calling, OP. there's a gap in the market.

your destiny is to expose Atlus's transgressions to the masses.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
You didn't even mention the real worst of it, the SMT4 or SMT4A DLC.

People talk about them, Atlus just isn't that popular.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It has been talked about with Atlus and certain other Japanese companies. Atlus is just smaller than those other companies and Persona 5 is the first Atlus title for a lot of people.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has a diehard fanbase it's willing to exploit to the last penny.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
You didn't even mention the real worst of it, the SMT4 or SMT4A DLC.

People talk about them, Atlus just isn't that popular.
Yeah this is the real problem with trying to address their problems, their games are super niche and a lot of the people who play them will genuinely either not care or actually enjoy some of Atlus's worst examples of their problems like Homo/transphobia or the way their women characters act or dress.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People talk about Atlus bs stuff all the time in the niche discussions they're relevant. The mainstream player that discuss EA, Activision or 2K barely knows about Atlus existence.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think Becuase they're are small dev team with a dedicated fanbase.

Persona 5 is their biggest hit. So I feel they'll start to get more noticed about their practices. Will it change them? Who knows.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It gets mentioned all the time. Basically any Atlus thread. Other than P5 - which hasn't even hit 3 million - they're still playing in the mid tier/niche territory.

The audience spoke loud and clear on Persona 3&5 Dancing, they didn't do well in Japan and with how aggressively they were discounted in the West I don't think they did well here either.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
They mostly release on one platform and their fans are happy with their games that get released every 4 years or so.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Persona 5 Royal is definitely the most egregious case. At least with FES and Golden, it was more of a case of there not being DLC on the PS2 and the second re-release was for an entirely different system.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Persona 5 Royal is definitely the most egregious case. At least with FES and Golden, it was more of a case of there not being DLC on the PS2 and the second re-release was for an entirely different system.
I personally would't have any problem with that if you can have a discout if you bought the OG game on PS4, I thought the same about Pokémon USUM. And as I said in OP in Twitter every time someome critizices this, many Atlus fans make fun of that person.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
P5 Royal has at least 100+ $ of cosmetic DLC despite being a GOTY style release, half the content in the dancing games is behind costly DLC and how much did the glasses in the fighting games cost again?
Atlus is close to the bottom when it comes to the pricing and the content of their DLCs so I support the OP 100%.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't like the cosmetic dlcs but I just don't buy them which sends the necessary message without complaining on Internet forums.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think aside from the fact that fewer people care about Atlus games, you also have a situation where even the people who already play and love Atlus games don't care about some of the DLC practices. Like, I can acknowledge that $100 of cosmetic DLC for P5 Royal is stupid and feels like a step backward after P4 Golden (I think) and P3 Portable (for sure) included all the costume unlocks. But I was never going to buy any of it anyways, just like I never bought the costumes for the P4 spinoffs. It's just not interesting to me, and so I don't care how much they charge for it. (Not to say that it doesn't matter, I just think lots of people are in the same boat as me.)

I will admit though that as an Atlus fan, I find myself less and less interested in their work these days. I didn't buy Catherine: Full Body (doubling down on transphobia is never a good look), I bought P3D/P5D on the cheap well after release after mixed reviews and poor sales, and I'm not even sure I'll bother with P5 Royal on release, whereas P4 Golden was an obvious day-one buy for me. I don't know how many people there are like me, but the more egregious stuff does have a lasting effect.

Also, FWIW, Fire Emblem Fates is three games. If you've played them you know the story and maps are very different between each one. That's really not a great example.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They're secretly the worst microtransaction based DLC out there that isn't pure gatcha lootbox nonsense.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There was enough complaints about the Persona Dancing games. They bombed hard.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Also, FWIW, Fire Emblem Fates is three games. If you've played them you know the story and maps are very different between each one. That's really not a great example.
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is a better example. Tons of extra class dlc and to get everything costs more than the game itself.

I think the full price for all three Fates games and all the DLC was about 100-110 when it was all new, and it would get you three full games with about sixty unique maps, a ridiculous amount of units and some DLC crap you probably didn't need but that isn't bad either.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Some of these complaints are so minor. Day 1 DLC for costumes? Is that something people really care about? That seems like the biggest pass and never think about it again thing ever. $60 for a remaster? Just wait until it's the price you want to pay. It's a good game with plenty of content, if it wasn't a game they probably could charge more for it. I get that gaming can be expensive but they are also expensive to make and take time. You just have to weigh getting it sooner vs paying more but I don't get worrying about the cost of games. You don't have to buy it day one and it will go on sell.

It seems to me that there are way worse practices in gaming that should be the focus by much bigger companies.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am not buying royal. Should have been dlc from what I read. And a lot of other factors. Fuck Altus.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's discussed every time their games come out. I buy most of their games but usually don't buy any of the DLC at all.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well with people in the P5R import thread mentioning the game is 90% the same as P5 I agree.

but also they consistently make homophobic / transphobic jokes in their games and that's just as shitty if not more than overpriced dlc.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People don't talk about it? People bitch about how greedy Atlus is all the time.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a combination of Atlus not have a super huge following and because their games usually have a lot of content so people don't feel that the DLC are essential parts of the game.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
P5 Royal has at least 100+ $ of cosmetic DLC despite being a GOTY style release, half the content in the dancing games is behind costly DLC and how much did the glasses in the fighting games cost again?
Atlus is close to the bottom when it comes to the pricing and the content of their DLCs so I support the OP 100%.

And yet they don't plan to release P5R on other plattforms like Switch or PC which would net them way more money than some overpriced DLC.

Atlus is just a weird company in general.

Oct 27, 2017
I think people have some implicit respect for Atlus thanks to their PS1/PS2 games, where they published a lot of obscure, unconventional games that wouldnt had recieved a Western release at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
People don't talk about it? People bitch about how greedy Atlus is all the time.
Yeah ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you haven't seen it OP, it's because you haven't been looking. It's like Fire Emblem DLC (though I have no idea why you mentioned the campaign of Fates, and not the overpriced classes etc) - the audience knows it's a bad deal, occasionally mentions it, but for the most part just avoids it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thats why im not buying Persona 5 Royale. If they sold the dlc as an update to the game i already bought, they would have got my money. Instead i will wait for the Persona 6 "Royale" instead.
People talk about it, is just not loud enough cuz when u have straight up scummy companies flooding they games will disgusting lootboxes, 20$ skins, battle passes, and all kinds of cash grab in full priced games, Atlus anti-consumer tactics dont look all that bad. But still is.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pissed that PS4 Persona 4 Dancing All Night is stuck behind a $100 bundle.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think I screwed it up with the title, I guess it's more that most people don't care enough so overall no important person like Jim Sterling or something like that has complained or there hasn't been an important article saying what they do like it happens all the time with Bethesda or EA, more than that no one complains about it here especifically. Many bad business models from companies like Koei Tecmo with DOA would have passed under the radar if it wasn't for someone important talking about it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's a losing battle. I think everyone talks about it every time it happens but people eat that shit up. It's like they say, so long as people keep paying for it they'll keep doing it.

I think I screwed it up with the title, I guess it's more that most people don't care enough so overall no important person like Jim Starling or something like that has complained or there hasn't been an important article saying what they do like it happens all the time with Bethesda or EA, more than that no one complains about it here especifically.
Well when P5R comes out maybe he will, but he almost only covers the "bigger" titles of which aside from 3DS releases Atlus hasn't had any that I remember between P4 and P5, so I don't think he sees them in the same vein as the "AAA" titles he normally critiques as well.

But everyone complains about Atlus. Hell I'll do it right now.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
They're small developers that make niche games. The people that play those games are hardcore fans that don't care about being nickeled and dimed.

This is also a forum that loves their Japanese games and rpgs.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Some of these complaints are so minor. Day 1 DLC for costumes? Is that something people really care about? That seems like the biggest pass and never think about it again thing ever. $60 for a remaster? Just wait until it's the price you want to pay. It's a good game with plenty of content, if it wasn't a game they probably could charge more for it. I get that gaming can be expensive but they are also expensive to make and take time. You just have to weigh getting it sooner vs paying more but I don't get worrying about the cost of games. You don't have to buy it day one and it will go on sell.

It seems to me that there are way worse practices in gaming that should be the focus by much bigger companies.
I barely mentioned the day one costumes DLC for that reason (it's still pretty bad though, awful I would say), I wanted to focus more on cutting basic features and selling them as DLC or adding pay to win shit.