• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
So they dropped the Devil Summoner title and it's now just Soul Hackers. neat. I wonder if they were influenced by Digimon Cybersleuth.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
so that's why it wasn't in the direct... sucks for switch players
that's what nintendo gets for shutting down soul hackers remake sales on 3ds eshop /s

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Holy hee hoo, Xbox and sequel?!
MellowValuableKid-max-1mb.gif

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
excited for a new soul hackers! the vibe of the trailer sorta reminds me of gatchaman crowds or something. very different from the cybergoth look of the original but i think it's neat

Saerom

Dec 24, 2021
Ringo was actually the female protag I love it just for that

And the songs rock so I'm fine with it

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Game definitely has a different feel than the original from what we can tell so far

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of gagged. They're making Soul Hackers into a series and releasing on everything except Switch. The mad lads.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this looks TMS as fuck.

Also the designs look like the DRRR/Devil Survivor guy?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Game definitely has a different feel than the original from what we can tell so far
To me it seems like their idea was that "if futuristic tech was like this in the nineties, what would it be like now?", similar to how Digimon has done it in the past.

But it's also interesting how this feels more like Persona and SMTV in terms of gameplay.

Arshes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait, what's the countdown for, then???

The countdown was counting down to 8 pm jst on february 21st, but the way the count down works is that it checks your systems time, and counts down to 8 pm on february 21st in your time zone(ex if your in pst, it counts down to 8 pm pst.)

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
This looks budget as fuck and the designs are not great but I said if it was TMS without the pop idols it'd be a 9/10 and that's what it looks like.

At the very least the gameplay looks slick.

Marbled Jelly

May 24, 2021
Is this like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei where the games are mostly disconnected or a full sequel? I've never played 1 and this trailer is very intriguing to me.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Is this like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei where the games are mostly disconnected or a full sequel? I've never played 1 and this trailer is very intriguing to me.

According to the devs it's mostly its own thing, so far they've mentioned a few concepts from the previous devil summoner titles but those concepts are pretty vague even in those games (for example: There are good Devil Summoners who are members of the Yatagarasu, there are evil Devil Summoners who are members of the Phantom Society, there's an Otherworld where demons roam, etc)

There were also some thematic homages to previous games, but those seem to be a bit more of a "Oh, haha I get the reference" than something you desperately need to know to understand the story.

But this is all based on the initial reveal and is subject to change as more information becomes available. After all person with a Xenoblade avatar, sometimes sequels are initially promoted as being stand alone titles but then have Very Strong Ties to previous entries in the series.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Really excited about this, and hope it leads to more SMT and adjacent properties going multiplat.

Would be great if it meant releasing older games on new systems too but I won't get my hopes up. :(

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
Seems like the sort of project that's meant to piggy back off of the asset creation pipeline for the mainline SMT and Persona games.

All those demons getting new HD/3D models, and they need to find other places to use them to maximize returns on the investment.

It looks really "thrown together" for an Atlus game.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope that this is the start of ATLUS making more spinoff games in the SMT series. I'll take new shit and sequels like Devil Survivor 3 please!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the sort of project that's meant to piggy back off of the asset creation pipeline for the mainline SMT and Persona games.

All those demons getting new HD/3D models, and they need to find other places to use them to maximize returns on the investment.

You can say that about almost any new project from an established developer. Souls, Yakuza, Judgement, Xenoblade, and many other series reuse assets all the time so I don't see why Atlus is singled out when it's relatively common in the industry. They wanted to make a new Soul Hackers so why not reuse assets?

I mean if you followed Atlus during the PS2 days Devil Summoner 1&2, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Persona 3&4, and SMT Nocturne all reused assets so this is nothing new to us Atlus fans.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I know this isn't the thread for it, but Atlus also just uploaded the Strikers and P5R soundtracks to Spotify and Apple Music.
I can't find that VGM Spotify thread that was floating around before and don't know where else to put this. Oh well.

Persona 5 Royal (Apple Music, Spotify)
Persona 5 Strikers (Apple Music, Spotify)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You can say that about almost any new project from an established developer. Souls, Yakuza, Judgement, Xenoblade, and many other series reuse assets all the time so I don't see why Atlus is singled out when it's relatively common in the industry. They wanted to make a new Soul Hackers so why not reuse assets?

I mean if you followed Atlus during the PS2 days Devil Summoner 1&2, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Persona 3&4, and SMT Nocturne all reused assets so this is nothing new to us Atlus fans.
I would rather Atlus re-use assets and produce more games vs waiting 6-7 years between releases. PS2 Atlus era was glorious.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

have you played any PS2 or DS/3DS SMT game? They've always done that.

OP
OP
jonjonaug

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Atlus released a bunch of excellent JPRGs back in the PS2 era and with the exception of NINE (which was the first 3D SMT game) all of them borrowed 3D assets from some previous title.

Every SMT game with 2D assets has reused illustrations dating back to the SNES era, all the way up to Strange Journey Redux.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't the thread for it, but Atlus also just uploaded the Strikers and P5R soundtracks to Spotify and Apple Music.
I can't find that VGM Spotify thread that was floating around before and don't know where else to put this. Oh well.

Persona 5 Royal (Apple Music, Spotify)
Persona 5 Strikers (Apple Music, Spotify)

It may not be the right thread, but I absolutely love you for mentioning this. Been waiting for royal to come to Spotify since release. Hell yeah.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021

have you played any PS2 or DS/3DS SMT game? They've always done that.

Atlus released a bunch of excellent JPRGs back in the PS2 era and with the exception of NINE (which was the first 3D SMT game) all of them borrowed 3D assets from some previous title.

Every SMT game with 2D assets has reused illustrations dating back to the SNES era, all the way up to Strange Journey Redux.

I'm not saying it's at all a new thing or a bad thing, just that it seems particularly egregious in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.