• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Meh. Persona 5 was an absolutely great game. More people should get to enjoy it but the way this game was announced this isn't surprising.

Glad the game is coming to the ps4 though.

They don't like money can be used for any game that is exclusive to one platform.
Exactly. The 'They don't like money' argument can be used for every single exclusive or single platform game. That's a moot argument.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the drama again. Wasn't this known from the beginning? Why are people so hurt again?

Some people would have liked to replay that long game on a handheld, like the Vita with Golden. I have a PS4 and already played Persona 5 on it, so i'm not "hurt", but a Switchversion would have been more convenient for me because the game is a bit of a slog and will be even longer now.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the drama again. Wasn't this known from the beginning? Why are people so hurt again?
Exactly. The 'They don't like money' argument can be used for every single exclusive or single platform game. That's a moot argument.
most cases of exclusives you can enumerate either have a deal with the platform holder that binds the game to exclusivity (in excange of money and/or funding), or the porting cost is deemed too high for the extra sales to compensate
considering how (not) demanding P5 is, the only remaining reason is that Atlus was paid by Sony to not release it anywhere else, but the Atlus defense force is denying this is the case leaving only sheer stupidity I guess?

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
probably the most damning thing atlus has done recently was release Catherine full body on the vita in 2019...

How was a switch version lower priority than an actual dead system? Less graphical cutbacks were needed, and the switch is the best selling system on the market in Japan. it only sold 9,000 units on the vita.

Atlus pls explain

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
most cases of exclusives you can enumerate either have a deal with the platform holder that binds the game to exclusivity (in excange of money and/or funding), or the porting cost is deemed too high for the extra sales to compensate
considering how (not) demanding P5 is, the only remaining reason is that Atlus was paid by Sony to not release it anywhere else, but the Atlus defense force is denying this is the case leaving only sheer stupidity I guess?

I get being mad that a game isnt coming to the platform you enjoy, but the passive aggressiveness is way too much.

We already knew that SMT is Nintendo and Persona is Sony for years and years. This shouldent be anything anyone is surprised about

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
probably the most damning thing atlus has done recently was release Catherine full body on the vita in 2019...

How was a switch version lower priority than an actual dead system? Less graphical cutbacks were needed, and the switch is the best selling system on the market in Japan. it only sold 9,000 units on the vita.

Atlus pls explain
ATLUS is not logical lol.

I really do wish they had a competent executive team.

I get being mad that a game isnt coming to the platform you enjoy, but the passive aggressiveness is way too much.

We already knew that SMT is Nintendo and Persona is Sony for years and years. This shouldent be anything anyone is surprised about

Again, most people know this. And it deserves criticism.

Persona has had portable versions for 2 generations now. These are long ass games. Not everyone wants to play these games tethered to a TV.

I don't care about the platform. Heck, I would've taken a Vita port of PS5, as awful as that would look. But I'm not playing these games on a TV.

This is really weird considering Joker is in Smash. I guess he's also on the 3DS in Persona Q2, technically.

There's a spinoff game on the Switch too.

Last edited:

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That it was to be expected has no bearing on any reason behind that being valid

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That it was to be expected has no bearing on any reason behind that being valid

I mean, besides Atlus being Atlus? Yeah, they have a history, so again, it literally should not be a surprise. I could say the same about DQS or any other exclusive that could easily run on other platforms and doesnt have a deal with the publisher, but in the end, its just me shouting in the wind

Infact, stuff like DQS is worse since its exclusive content of a game already on another platform that's arbitrarily segmented off for no reason despite SE being good with literally all their other games regarding DLC and post launch content coming to all platforms.

A lot of unfortunate stuff happens in this industry, that's reality. But this is something that isnt something one should feel betrayed over, certainly not enough to be this mad after years of the game not being ported and knowing the development teams history in this area.

WizardMemories

Alt account
Banned
May 22, 2019
ATLUS is not logical lol.

I really do wish they had a competent executive team.

Again, most people know this. And it deserves criticism.

Persona has had portable versions for 2 generations now. These are long ass games. Not everyone wants to play these games tethered to a TV.

I don't care about the platform. Heck, I would've taken a Vita port of PS5, as awful as that would look. But I'm not playing these games on a TV.

There's a spinoff game on the Switch too.
You can play P5R on Vita with Remote Play.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still would have been better option for those of us who just want to play the new content via the FES way with The Answer. Or at least allow us to carry the compendium/stats across from the original P5 into the game to get through the game quicker to the new content.
The Answer happens strictly after the main game, while The Royal (and P4 Golden for that matter) have their new content woven into the main game. It seems you are a bit confused about what these changes are and how they are implemented.
That might be true, but it depends. How much do you think Persona 5 would sell on the Switch? And then how much do you think Persona 5 Scramble would sell combined on PS4 + Switch? These sales might be closer than not, and a lot of P5S' development comes from an entirely different studio so the brunt of the work isn't on P Studio, letting them work on other things.

And then you'd need to consider how much SMTV would sell on the PS4, and how much it would cost them to work on the port internally, instead of working on something else. Ports still require a lot of work to do, and Atlus is a small team. That's when other things like Sega working on ports for them come into play, but it's not like Sega themselves port their games to all of their platforms. The arguments you're making could apply to the Yakuza series or Judgment.
I'm not sure why you cut out my question. You claimed they might have "specific data" that shows them releasing spinoff titles to people that might have never played the main game of said spinoffs makes sense. I'm also not sure why they couldn't let the main game ports be done by a different studio, too? SMTV would release on a 100+ install base of the main JRPG console. Suggesting that port would not be profitable is bordering on trolling.

Last edited:

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
I don't think 'sheer stupidity'is how I would put it. By that logic companies should put every game on every platform but we still see many games skipping the Switch. I get fans being annoyed at not being able to play the game on their platform of choice but as long as they realize that it applies to exclusives on their platform of choice that others wish they had.

Wanting more games on a platform you own or prefer I get, wanting all games on your platform of choice simply because it benefits Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo I don't get.

Many things go into these partnerships. Atlus and Sony may have other relations that result in these deals being made easily that are a form of moneyhat but not specifically related to Sony saying "We'll pay you XXXX to keep this game exclusive".

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019

Going by your logic, is SMTV being exclusive for Switch also sheer stupidity then ? As far as we know, Nintendo has no rocks in it, they're not even publishing it, so why making it an exclusive and not release it everywhere ?

Focusing on the mental gymnastic of why Persona 5 isn't on Switch while ignoring the fact there are 0 reason for SMTV to be a Switch's exclusive is pretty transparent.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 'sheer stupidity'is how I would put it. By that logic companies should put every game on every platform but we still see many games skipping the Switch. I get fans being annoyed at not being able to play the game on their platform of choice but as long as they realize that it applies to exclusives on their platform of choice that others wish they had.

Wanting more games on a platform you own or prefer I get, wanting all games on your platform of choice simply because it benefits Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo I don't get.

Many things go into these partnerships. Atlus and Sony may have other relations that result in these deals being made easily that are a form of moneyhat but not specifically related to Sony saying "We'll pay you XXXX to keep this game exclusive".
Which is all already covered by my post. While it doesn't have an exotic architecture, the difference in power between Switch and PS4/One is large enough that downporting is a nontrivial effort, especially for AAA releases. Even with publishers willing to take the monetary investment the man-hours to develop the port do not come out from thin air, and hence you have a studio like Panic Button that just by working only on Switch ports is really under pressure and can only do so many things at once.
However P5 is a game from the previous gen as far as technical resources are concerned, making the reason above a non issue. Therefore as I said either Atlus have an exclusivity deal with Sony (which is also the "moneyhat" you mention), or they're deliberately leaving (easy) money on the table for samurai honor or some other euphemism for extremely poor decision-making.

Going by your logic, is SMTV being exclusive for Switch also sheer stupidity then ? As far as we know, Nintendo has no rocks in it, they're not even publishing it, so why making it an exclusive and not release it everywhere ?
...yes? I'm talking about P5 because it's the subject of the thread, that I haven't mentioned SMT5 doesn't mean I don't think the underlying reason for that exclusivity is going to be analogously stupid. Unless there's a deal with Nintendo (like there could be one for P5 with Sony), which while it might not be morally sound it would at least make sense.
In fact you have several posters here criticizing Atlus the same for the SMT5 thing.
Focusing on the mental gymnastic of why Persona 5 isn't on Switch while ignoring the fact there are 0 reason for SMTV to be a Switch's exclusive is pretty transparent.
Ahahah what
were you really thinking you were doing some clever gotcha with this?

Last edited:

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
...yes? I'm talking about P5 because it's the subject of the thread, that I haven't mentioned SMT5 doesn't mean I don't think the underlying reason for that exclusivity is going to be analogously stupid. Unless there's a deal with Nintendo (like there could be one for P5 with Sony), which while it might not be morally sound it would at least make sense.
In fact you have several posters here criticizing Atlus the same for the SMT5 thing.

Atlus, as a whole, is also the subject of the thread and it has derailed into "Atlus is stupid, I know better" from some time ago.

But if you agree SMTV as a Switch exclusive doesn't make more sens than Persona 5 being exclusive, it's all cool for me.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Atlus pls explain
Atlus execs:
54ffe5266025c-dog1.jpg

Atlus, as a whole, is also the subject of the thread and it has derailed into "Atlus is stupid, I know better" from some time ago.

But if you agree SMTV as a Switch exclusive doesn't make more sens than Persona 5 being exclusive, it's all cool for me.
More like: The entire third party industry knows better than Atlus. Name another company that recently made a decision as asinine as the one quoted above. I also don't see anyone in here who thinks the SMT situation makes more sense than the P5 one.

Nov 1, 2017
This is all so funny after all of that Smash Bros. hype. I wonder what PS4 exclusive will the Smash Ultimate DLC advertise next?

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Well, a PS Vita does appear in the game after all. That makes it impossible to appear on Switch.

I'm just kidding...Except the part about a Vita appearing in the game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't like money can be used for any game that is exclusive to one platform.
Except most games exclusive to some platform are either exclusive due to the publisher being the platform holder or due to deals, a.k.a money. A lot of people in here say the latter isn't the case with SMT and Persona, and Atlus is not a platform holder, which leads to the conclusions of Atlus not knowing what they are doing.
If Sony paid for exclusivity, what's wrong with that? Lol
People in here are arguing that this isn't the case and that we have no evidence of that. Some even go as far as calling suggesting Sony payed for P5 exclusivity a conspiracy theory. If Sony did pay, everything would make sense. They appearently didn't, though.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Except most games exclusive to some platform are either exclusive due to the publisher being the platform holder or due to deals, a.k.a money. A lot of people in here say the latter isn't the case with SMT and Persona, and Atlus is not a platform holder, which leads to the conclusions of Atlus not knowing what they are doing.

People in here are arguing that this isn't the case and that we have no evidence of that. Some even go as far as calling suggesting Sony payed for P5 exclusivity a conspiracy theory. If Sony did pay, everything would make sense. They appearently didn't, though.
It makes sense to me. Sometimes a check just gets the job done. It doesn't make em evil in my eyes, J/RPGs is a serious area their 1st party studios lack in. But as you can see Atlus is clearly trying to spread the love around with SMTV. That shit is going to hurt just as much when it comes out exclusively for Switch.. it is what it is.

Edit: I have both so I'm covered.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony paid for exclusivity, what's wrong with that? Lol

Literally nothing. Some people freak out about exclusive deals and timed exclusives and etc. It's a business. It's not an issue.

I also don't get the Persona 5 on Switch complaining. Atlus has given zero indication they want to go multiplat in any serious way. They also have given no indication they will put mainline Persona on non Sony systems.

Why are people shocked?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Literally nothing. Some people freak out about exclusive deals and timed exclusives and etc. It's a business. It's not an issue.

I also don't get the Persona 5 on Switch complaining. Atlus has given zero indication they want to go multiplat in any serious way. They also have given no indication they will put mainline Persona on non Sony systems.

Why are people shocked?
Yea, I dunno. Haven't seen Persona on anything else.

Switch fans should be in Nintendos/Atlus' ass trying to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch! Game is just as good if not better than P5 to me..

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
An action RPG Nocturne remake with OTS view and DMC like combat on next gen consoles would be sick.
I doubt they would Square Enix it. Nocturne would probably still be 90% the same game, I just hope they don't do the usual "mysterious new girl that definitely wasn't originally intended for the game but we are going to shove her in your face" thing. Playing P4G right now I don't really care for how they shove Marie in your face constantly. They did the same thing in Strange Journey Redux, although to be fair to that one, having a new dungeon with great music is pretty cool.

Of course I would still buy it even if they did these things.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they would Square Enix it. Nocturne would probably still be 90% the same game, I just hope they don't do the usual "mysterious new girl that definitely wasn't originally intended for the game but we are going to shove her in your face" thing. Playing P4G right now I don't really care for how they shove Marie in your face constantly. They did the same thing in Strange Journey Redux, although to be fair to that one, having a new dungeon with great music is pretty cool.

Of course I would still buy it even if they did these things.
Oh man, I hadn't thought about the "new girl" thing at all.

Can't wait for a new ending in Nocturne where Demi-fiend falls in love with Marie 2.0 and Atlus makes that the "best" ending for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but I think it's dumb and unnecessarily hampering sales potential for these Japanese companies to not put everything on PS4/Switch/PC. I mean this for both Persona and SMT.

Hell, for the more mainstream weeb stuff like Persona I'd bet a fair amount of people would buy on Xbox too. Less than the other systems by a wide margin of course, but more than enough to justify the port.

I understand graphically intensive games missing Switch like Capcom and Square's high end stuff, but Persona ain't that...

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
More like: The entire third party industry knows better than Atlus. Name another company that recently made a decision as asinine as the one quoted above. I also don't see anyone in here who thinks the SMT situation makes more sense than the P5 one.

I don't consider the decision as asinine, so I won't play your game.

Every company is leaving money on the table by not releasing their games everywhere. It's just part of the strategy. Persona has been a Playstation's bound franchise for a very long time now. That's where its public is and mostly has been for years, it's a proven strategy for them to keep releasing Persona on Playstation. How is that hard to understand for some ? It's a hard-proven strategy for them, it WORKS, why should they change ? The entitlement is strong. Maybe there's a public on Switch, but can you prove it ? Do you know how many they are ? Can you prove it right here, right now ?

You think it's a baffling decision to not release Persona on Switch, but you have nothing to back it up. How do you know it would be a ground-breaking hit that would be worth the porting hassle and changing their hard-proven strategy of keeping Persona to Playstation console ? Because of change.org petitions and Twitter port-beggars ? Or do you have some solid proof that would be worth Atlus putting some serious money on the table ?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Every company is leaving money on the table by not releasing their games everywhere. It's just part of the strategy. Persona has been a Playstation's bound franchise for a very long time now. That's where its public is and mostly has been for years, it's a proven strategy for them to keep releasing Persona on Playstation. How is that hard to understand for some ? It's a hard-proven strategy for them, it WORKS, why should they change ? The entitlement is strong. Maybe there's a public on Switch, but can you prove it ? Do you know how many they are ? Can you prove it right here, right now ?

You think it's a baffling decision to not release Persona on Switch, but you have nothing to back it up. How do you know it would be a ground-breaking hit that would be worth the porting hassle and changing their hard-proven strategy of keeping Persona to Playstation console ? Because of change.org petitions and Twitter port-beggars ? Or do you have some solid proof that would be worth Atlus putting some serious money on the table ?
You don't consider porting Catherine on the Vita, which takes more effort/resources due to having more optimization problems and is a dead console, instead of the best selling platform in Japan, an asinine decision? What game am I playing?

It's not about releasing "everywhere". It's about releasing where it makes no sense, and not releasing where it does. And can you stop your console wars bullshit already? It's not just about P5, and it's hilarious to me that you accuse others of ignoring one situation (SMT) but not the other, when that's exactly what you are doing.

I have common sense to back up that SMT on PS4 and P5 on Switch make sense. They wouldn't need to be groundbreaking hits. All these ports would do is expand the respective playerbases and sales. Releasing games on platforms is about risks or lack thereof. P5 on Switch (insane marketing due to Smash) and SMT (100 mil install base on the JRPG machine) don't have many, or any, risks attached to them. They wouldn't bomb. Acting like there's even a chance they would is trolling. Atlus is the only third party that plays this dumb exclusive game, and if it's not for deals (which would make sense), it's just a nonsensical thing to do. I'm sorry you get angry at people wanting games, but that's not the only reason why Atlus' strategy is subpar to say the least.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Among all Japanese third party games that are skipping Switch, Persona 5 is definitely among those with most potential on Switch. jRPGs are selling extremely well on Switch and Persona 5 can be adapted to Switch without losing much on the technical side.

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Pattern of platform warring while in junior phase.
You don't consider porting Catherine on the Vita, which takes more effort/resources due to having more optimization problems and is a dead console, instead of the best selling platform in Japan, an asinine decision?

No, I don't, just like I said above.

First, Atlus is used to port games on Vita, they've done it for years, while they have yet to release a single thing on Switch. How are you sure it takes more effort for them to release a game on the Vita, compared to the Switch ? Do you work in the company ? Have you ever released a game on Vita ? Are you a software developer ?

Second, you're not seeing the full picture here. Atlus always had a faithful audience on the Vita in Japan. The same audience that bought the Persona dancing titles and many others games published by Atlus on the Vita. Releasing Catherine Full Body is just the natural continuation of feeding an audience that always supported you and if that's too hard to understand, just think of it as a gift to the people who supported them on the platform for so long.

As an aside, do you think this audience will hesitate to support Atlus in the future ? Don't you think that - maybe - this strategy of being loyal to your customers is one of the reason they've been around for so long despite not breaking sales record left and right ? Do you start to see the bigger picture here ?

It's not about releasing "everywhere". It's about releasing where it makes no sense, and not releasing where it does. And can you stop your console wars bullshit already? It's not just about P5, and it's hilarious to me that you accuse others of ignoring one situation (SMT) but not the other, when that's exactly what you are doing.

I have common sense to back up that SMT on PS4 and P5 on Switch make sense. They wouldn't need to be groundbreaking hits. All these ports would do is expand the respective playerbases and sales. Releasing games on platforms is about risks or lack thereof. P5 on Switch (insane marketing due to Smash) and SMT (100 mil install base on the JRPG machine) don't have many, or any, risks attached to them. They wouldn't bomb. Acting like there's even a chance they would is trolling. Atlus is the only third party that plays this dumb exclusive game, and if it's not for deals (which would make sense), it's just a nonsensical thing to do. I'm sorry you get angry at people wanting games, but that's not the only reason why Atlus' strategy is subpar to say the least.

What is your common-sens worth business-wise, exactly ? Isn't it just an opinion and nothing more ? I asked you for a solid proof there was an audience for Persona 5 on the Switch, a solid proof worth putting actual money on the table. You failed to provide any, outside of trying to convince me your common-sens is something else than one opinion among millions.

I can understand that you're personally convinced that Persona 5 on Switch would be a good move. I respect that. However, insulting a publisher of being dumb for not answering your projected desire because you think that you're smarter than them is something else, entirely. Outlandish claims requires way more than what your common-sens is worth.

Outside of Persona Q, all Persona mainline titles are Playstation bound since 1996 (with a single Windows port in its entire history). The franchise is around for 23 years. It has grow steadily with each iteration and is now at an all time high. Keeping the franchise on Playstation is a hard-proven strategy, regardless of you liking it or not. It's just all pure facts.

Maybe it's worse the hassle of shifting the strategy to mutli-platforms release for the franchise, maybe it isn't. It would maybe expand the audience or it could alienate your existing one. Regardless, facts are stronger than fancy discussion-boards theorizing.

You're the only who seems to be on the verge of exploding because someone disagree with you. I'm not the one accusing you of being a console warrior and insulting the legacy of a 33 years old publisher. I'm perfectly calm myself, don't worry.