• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I feel these are pretty decent to good numbers considering it's a visual novel. They probably knew this wouldn't sell gangbusters and budgeted the game accordingly.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I bought it a couple of weeks ago as a Christmas present to myself, but haven't started it yet. It definitely looks like my kind of game, though, and I'm looking forward to playing it.

I think we've seen a shift this past generation, though. PlayStation is no longer the place to play Japanese games. I think the audience has mostly shifted to PC and Switch.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Will get once I can get hold of a PS5, or they release on another platform. Love everything I've heard and read about it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
And of course here comes the port beggars.
Weird post. The game is a critically acclaimed title that would likely perform better if it was on more systems.
Thats the norm for pretty much every sales thread, people are gonna discuss if the sales are expected and or if higher sales could have been achieved.

Most popular indie games sell a lot more than that nowadays, so you always have to wonder why some devs/pubs still limit themselves like that unless there is a agreement with a plattform holder. As an outsider looking in it doesnt make alot of sense, but as initially said...if they are happy with the sales, who are we to question their decisions.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Also considering how much GrimGrimoire bombed for them last time they made a genre switch away from action games (another change from action games, Grand Knights History seemed to "do well" in Japan, but those dev leads left to establish their own company and made Grand Kingdom), it made them retreat back into action again afterwards. I do wonder what they will do next, keep going with these kind of more niche genres like VNs/RTS hybrids or return to the safety of the action genre? GrimGrimoire was supposed to have a sequel and everything.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Console sales being worse than this game isn't really helping your point my dude
My point is that most people in Japan prefer to play VN on handheld or PC (And looking at the Ace Attorney sales that were leaked from Capcom, probably in the West as well). This game not having a PC or handheld version greatly limits its potential sales.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
It did ok, but honestly it makes sense why it did awful in the west. I mean it's a vn type of game and those type of games usually do better on PC, mobile, and handheld. Releasing it only on the PS4 right when next gen consoles were about to release really buried the game. It also doesn't help that Sony barely marketed this game at all. They sent it out to die tbh.

This game really should have released on PC and Switch as well. But when you compare the sales to Dragon's Crown it kinda sucks.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Why would this be a wakeup call? Sales are on par(and surpass) with other popular VN series
There is no reason for this to be the wake up call anymore than watching the past 10 years of japanese publisher/studio who ( finaly ) already did that move and didn't turn back ( because of the obvious good results ).

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Together with Persona 5 Royal and FF7R, this is the third game for which I would have liked to have a PS4, but I cannot buy a console if I don't get at least 10+ games for it, it wouldn't worth the purchase. But I am sure every PS4 owners would like 13SAR, if the reviews and the positive reception are right.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I feel these are pretty decent to good numbers considering it's a visual novel. They probably knew this wouldn't sell gangbusters simply because of the genre and budgeted this accordingly.

We are not in the 2000s anymore when it comes to Visual novels, the game could have been a million seller based on its critical reception and word of mouth had its publisher not been stuck in their own bubble. There is absolutely no excuse when you are missing two, arguably even three, platforms with far more sales potential than the one the game got released and also take almost a whole year to release in the West.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the game will be fine, considering the word of mouth, I expect the game to have some legs. They should try to get the game on platforms though, especially considering the genre (I think it would really suit the PC and Switch, though at that point might as wel port it the xbox consoles as well).

I don't understand SEGA, why acquire a company if you aren't going to use your resources to get some some synergy going. SEGA does have to resources to make those ports a reality, even if Atlus or Vanillaware doesn't.

Last edited:

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose we won't see another Vanillaware game in this style, which is a huge shame. I've never been into their action games, but I think Dragon's Crown was actually a million seller and the difference seems just too much. I'm glad 13 Sentinels is a game that got made though, it's truly something special.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sad to see Vanillaware give up on supporting handhelds considering it was their bread and butter. Playing their games on Vita was a fun ride.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Is this not the second best selling Vanillaware game after Dragon's Crown? Seems pretty good to me.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
We are not in the 2000s anymore when it comes to Visual novels, the game could have been a million seller based on its critical reception and word of mouth had its publisher not been stuck in their own bubble. There is absolutely no excuse when you are missing two, arguably even three, platforms with far more sales potential than the one the game got released and also take almost a whole year to release in the West.
Now we're getting wild takes. The only visual novel i can think of that hit 1m sales in a single title is the professor layton series. And the mass appeal of those games is leagues above this one

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
300k seems like good sales for a VN, although the game did have a rather long development time so I don't know how good those are versus development costs. And yes, it's weird that the game is only available on PS4 when it seems like most of the audience for VNs is on portable devices & on PC.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
All things considered, that seems like a pretty good number. Vanillaware is a very small studio and going off one interview it seems like Kamitani is the only one that crunched (hard) during development.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an enhanced and expanded version of the game later this gen or at least a spinoff. That's assuming Kamitani didn't shave off too much of his life and Atlus acts competently.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It has sold 1/3 that of Dragon's Crown in a similar period of time, I don't think they can be happy with this result. https://www.siliconera.com/dragons-crown-sales-reach-940000-worldwide/

I would say that in Japan and Asia it did fine but in the West it has been disastrous.
You can't really compare the two honestly. Dragon's Crown released on Vita and PS3 and released in the west like 2 weeks after its JP release. Vita is also where the game sold the best. 13 Sentinels only released on PS4 and the western release was 10 months later.

13S is also a much nicher game, VN with RTS elements exclusively on PS4? Yeah no wonder it didn't sell as hot. Should have released on Switch + PC as well.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My point is that most people in Japan prefer to play VN on handheld or PC (And looking at the Ace Attorney sales that were leaked from Capcom, probably in the West as well). This game not having a PC or handheld version greatly limits its potential sales.

This, games like this do much better on pc and switch but Atlus gonna Atlus as always.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still being jokerfied by seeing everyone continue to call this a VN.

It's... an adventure game? You walk around, talk to other characters, interact with objects, etc.

what part of that is a visual novel??

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
You can't really compare the two honestly. Dragon's Crown released on Vita and PS3 and released in the west only a month after its JP release. 13 Sentinels only released on PS4 and the western release was 10 months later.

Goes to show how bad the release strategy was for this game and why they thought releasing it only on the PS4 without any marketing (west) whatsoever was a good idea. I'm curious to see if they had an idea on what type of audience would likely buy a game like this. They made a game that's a vn hybrid so why PS4 only?

Were they afraid by the sales in Japan and basically gave up on the western release?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Without knowing expectations we can't say a lot.

Tecmo Koei was happy with Ryza selling 300k so....Vanillaware is probably in the same tier of "happiness"

It's Vanillaware, there are 99% chances of staying PS4 exclusive.
The main difference is that Atelier is a yearly franchise. This is their first new game in six years and has been doing notably worse than the last one.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You can't really compare the two honestly. Dragon's Crown released on Vita and PS3 and released in the west like 2 weeks after its JP release. Vita is also where the game sold the best. 13 Sentinels only released on PS4 and the western release was 10 months later.

13S is also a much nicher game, VN with RTS elements exclusively on PS4? Yeah no wonder it didn't sell as hot. Should have released on Switch + PC as well.
That's why I'm comparing the sales, to say the same thing as you: Not having a handheld / mobile / PC version has hurt the potential sales of the game enormously.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm still being jokerfied by seeing everyone continue to call this a VN.

It's... an adventure game? You walk around, talk to other characters, interact with objects, etc.

what part of that is a visual novel??
Ok, it's an adventure game.

Those ALSO sell much more on PC and handheld than on console. So the argument is the same.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
13 sen deserves more but I have to congratulate them for what they accomplished here. niche games like this doing modestly well is always great news!