• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Has that ever happened before? That sounds like some once in forever kind of things.

Storms getting close to each other and one absorbing each other isn't that rare. John and Ileana in 2018, Wilma and Alpha in 05, Iris and Karen in 95, storms rotating around each other is more rare.

and to be clear this is usually to a detrimental nominal effect to both storms, These storms getting close to each shouldn't be seen as some 2020 end of days things its not gonna create a supercane or something.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Storms getting close to each other and one absorbing each other isn't that rare. John and Ileana in 2018, Wilma and Alpha in 05, Iris and Karen in 95, storms rotating around each other is more rare.

and to be clear this is usually to a detrimental nominal effect to both storms, These storms getting close to each shouldn't be seen as some 2020 end of days things its not gonna create a supercane or something.

The 1991 Perfect Storm was the result of a nor'easter absorbing Hurricane Grace, which ripped the latter storm apart and absorbed its energy (and actually formed a small unnamed weak hurricane at its core late in the storm's cycle; that hurricane was far weaker than Grace had been at its peak intensity).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Oh and that I knew about. I was talking about the two hurricanes doing the tropical dance of death lol

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Officially have TS Marco, September 2nd was the earliest M storm before Marco, Graphic should update soon, lower pressure then Laura. 8 more names til we hit Greek alphabet
235432_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the winds stay low as I don't want to board up my windows (never had to do that before and I don't currently have the materials to do so). I'm just right outside Houston.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to decide if I want to leave Nola if it looks to hit us as a Cat 1 or higher. I've roughed it before for Issac and Gustav but I'm not sure I feel like being without electricity for several days again. Gustav was a MFer. Everyone I know was without power for a week.

If I didn't have my 66yo mother here in the city I'd be even less inclined to stay but she's on the second floor of a particularly sturdy apartment building so maybe she'll be fine with a cat 1

Oct 25, 2017
I never trust a forecast of something going across the gulf and not becoming a hurricane. Things just tend to get way stronger than expected and usually leaves people hung out to dry because the forecast changes 24-36 hours before landfall. Regardless of what NHC says I'd expect cat 1 on Marco unless we get some real shenanigans with both of them together next week.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
New projected track for Laura takes it across the entirety of Hispaniola and Cuba before depositing it back in the Gulf. Marco might have the clearer shot to make it to the U.S. as a significant storm but I wouldn't count either storm out yet.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I know, I'm just worried. Hurricanes seem to change paths unexpectedly at the last possible moment (I remember Irma was supposed to hit Tampa head on, but it ended up near Port Charlotte instead).

Here in Houston we evacuated for Rita (it was shortly after Katrina so the media was hyping it up and everyone was worried, at the time my family had only been in Houston for less than decade, so we didn't have a whole lot of tropical storm/hurricane experience). It was supposed to hit Houston head on, and then swerved at the last second and pretty much completely missed the city. It took us 12 hours to get to San Antonio from Houston, only for us to turn around and get back to Houston the following morning in less than 3.

www.texasmonthly.com

Here’s What It Was Like To Evacuate Houston During Hurricane Rita

Kam Franklin tried to flee the city in 2005. This time, she stayed put.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the gulf is so hot and Marco is already strong and seems to be taking the ideal path for strengthening why is it only projected to be a cat 1?

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Marco looks like it's going to be close to Category 1 strength by the end of the day.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The only reason Marco is forecast to take that western turn into Texas is the NHC thinks it will weaken later on. I don't see that happening. Feels like Marco will be a Louisiana storm

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
If the gulf is so hot and Marco is already strong and seems to be taking the ideal path for strengthening why is it only projected to be a cat 1?

Basically there is a upper level trough that is expect to introduce shear and dry air into the system you can see it on this model run, green is moisture, brown is dry air, the stronger it is the better it can ward off the dry air.
cTkEvNC.gif

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Yea, was waiting for NHC to update their tracking.

The big issues with 2 storms hitting so close to each other
- flooding is gonna be insane
- if Laura rapidly intensifies no way of easily telling people
- a stronger hurricane after a weaker hurricane weaken the area

Lot of complicated factors

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pretty decent chance Laura actually makes US landfall WEST of where Marco makes landfall. That is if they don't interact with eachother and one absorbs the other

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Yea, was waiting for NHC to update their tracking.

The big issues with 2 storms hitting so close to each other
- flooding is gonna be insane
- if Laura rapidly intensifies no way of easily telling people
- a stronger hurricane after a weaker hurricane weaken the area

Lot of complicated factors

Also any debris caused by Marco might be very difficult to have picked up by Laura.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
NHC has moved Marco's cone to landfall in LA close the New Orleans, Map should update soon

A STORM SURGE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM SABINE PASS EASTWARD TO
THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER...INCLUDING LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN...LAKE
MAUREPAS...LAKE BORGNE...AND MOBILE BAY.

A HURRICANE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM INTRACOASTAL CITY LOUISIANA
EASTWARD TO THE MISSISSIPPI/ALABAMA BORDER...INCLUDING LAKE
PONTCHARTRAIN...LAKE MAUREPAS...AND METROPOLITAN NEW ORLEANS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM THE MISSISSIPPI/ALABAMA
BORDER EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER.

173645_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Surge map for Marco
173645_peak_surge.png

Laura cone shifted a bit east
205347_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png