• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Alright I'll throw my two cents in. This storm is much stronger than forecasted. Historically, when a storm is stronger than forecasted, its "heavier" latitude-wise and therefore it will take longer to lift north as the models indicate. This is critical to its interaction with Florida.
This is also true. The larger and stronger the storm is the more powerful steering currents need to be in order to dramatically cause a turn like the one predicted.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Could we... maybe NOT post things from Twitter with "alt-" anything in the username? Could we just not?

I'm sure Trump will show up somewhere in the next week for a photo op to throw some paper towels at people.
in this case these "alt" gov accounts popped up after trump took office to be criticize him as the fed was censoring the official ones. They're not associated to the altright and came about before the alt right movement came into the mainstream after trumps election. They just have very unfortunate twitter handles now

Oct 25, 2017
155815_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png.ad33fc24dbe0af23ac2c12e9ee8aa73f.png

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be posting these updates as soon as I get them. A friend of mine works at FLL here. They get updates directly from NOAA.

AsTYSxs.png

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Some weather folks are saying the models are starting to show a small ridge appearing from GA to NC, depending on its strength, this may push Dorian more to the SW. Possible reason Euro began a large shift west for the short term modeling.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I can never make out with these maps. Is that Broward that's now in the cone?

Barely, but it's the windspeed for us right now. Based on current models, we won't get a direct hit, but Broward will most likely get hurricane force winds, either sustained or gusts. Maybe enough to knock out power and toss debris. We don't know yet.

Also a reminder that Trump just took money from FEMA to pay for ICE. Hope people remember this on election day.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If that track stays true, looks like the eastern seaboard dodged a bullet comparatively
It hasn't dodged anything yet, the westmost fourth is still a possible track, remember that's not the effected area with the track in the center, but rather the range of all possible tracks with it being possible it brushes a huge chunk of the east coast of florida

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Barely, but it's the windspeed for us right now. Based on current models, we won't get a direct hit, but Broward will most likely get hurricane force winds, either sustained or gusts. Maybe enough to knock out power and toss debris. We don't know yet.

I'm prepared mentally for tropical storm winds. Hurricane force winds worry me because it's not specific, especially with the wind speeds of this hurricane... like saying hurricane force winds while on the periphery of the storm when the winds of this hurricane are 185mph are terrifying because I don't know what to expect.

Tropical storm is 39-75mph with hurricane force winds that can be anything from 75-185 in my mind at the moment...

ANOMOLIE

Oct 28, 2017
Wish my parents would've stayed up here in Atlanta. I'm from the Central Florida area (Mt. Dora). I'm getting very concerned. This storm looks dangerous.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Yulee north of Jacksonville. Depending on how the next 24hrs are I may leave. My gf Mom and sister think I'm too worried because it will be weaker if it gets up here. But if it's anything like Matthew that did a lot of flooding and damage to this area

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is one of the most symmetrical eye's I can remember seeing in a Hurricane. It's both scary and beautiful.

sKdhXES.gif

Last edited:

konka

Oct 25, 2017
If that track stays true, looks like the eastern seaboard dodged a bullet comparatively

So this is a poor understanding of what the map is showing. Don't focus on the dots or the center of the cone, the center isn't a higher likelihood than the rest of the cone.

There is a lot of model hugging going on in this thread. You need to focus on what all of them are showing as trends and not take their output as verbatim and remember that they all have their biases. We're nearing the point where the focus should move to the output of the higher resolution mesoscale models as the global models aren't as good indicators the closer we get.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
system may be slowing down a bit. Per a met average speed of translation over the past 3hrs is about 6.8 mph... Lets see if its incorporated in the advisories.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Alright just saw a wind advisory for fort lauderdale that say 58-73mph, so my fears from earlier are slightly quelled.