• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Jordan would you build around?

• Airtime Jordan (86 - 88)

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Fadeaway Jordan (95 - 98)

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you had to build a dynasty around 88 - 90 Jordan or 95 - 98 Jordan, which would you choose? You'd essentially get the time-locked version of them, so they never age from that period.

I'd go with the technical, cerebral Jordan of the second three peat. His fadeaway jumpshot must be the prettiest shot in the game.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
95-96 Jordan after the summer. This was the Jordan that just lost to the Orlando Magic and spent the summer on a basketball court that Warner Brothers set up for him. He got in to basketball shape and developed his fade away, but he still had some athleticism left.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fade-away Jordan is quite possibly the greatest mid-range scorer in league history, scary efficient.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know Stephen A and Max Kellerman kind of cartoon characters (which is kind of the point to be honest), but one of them summed it up pretty good on First Take. I'm paraphrasing, but one of them said something to the effect that Jordan was the best player in the world during the second three peat, but that he was the best player in history during the first three peat. I tend to agree.

1991 Jordan is peak Jordan.

Having said that, there is no version of Bulls Jordan that isn't incredible.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
95-98 but mostly because of Kobe. It's scary how close 95-98 Jordan and #24 Kobe's games were. Something I've noticed going through old games during the lockdown, first 3-peat Jordan reminds me so much of Kawhi. Especially when Pippen and Jordan go into half-court press mode. I never made that connection before. Airtime Jordan reminds me of Westbrook if you replaced the 4 bad 3s a game with a made 18 footer.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
91-93 Jordan was somewhere in between and absolutely insane.

Would go with 2nd threepeat Jordan over young Jordan though. As was said in the documentary, by that point, he just seemed to have basketball figured out and couldn't lose. Unguardable fadeaway when he had it going.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Much of Jordan's 95-98 game style is obsolete in the modern NBA. Contested fadeaways are just bad shots. There is a good reason that most teams have moved out of the mid-range.

Young Jordan is a far greater weapon in the modern NBA. Can get to the ring at will. Old Jordan can't do that.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Can you explain why? My basketball technical knowledge is based on NBA Jam.

Three pointers are just far more efficient. Even contested threes. So most teams have shifted towards shots at the rim / 3-point line and minimised the mid-range.

It's had a huge impact on shooting efficiency. For example, Jordan's shooting efficiency (TS%) in 1998 is better than than just one team this season (the lowly Knicks).

So I have my doubts that you could put up 20 midrange attempts per game, as Jordan was doing in the late 1990s, and be successful.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Three pointers are just far more efficient. Even contested threes. So most teams have shifted towards shots at the rim / 3-point line and minimised the mid-range.

By efficient, do you mean the percentage of shots going in?

Like, is it worth taking more 3s for the extra point, despite missing more?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
By efficient, do you mean the percentage of shots going in?

Like, is it worth taking more 3s for the extra point, despite missing more?

Yes, it's about how many points you generate per shot attempt. Close to the rim (better chance of making the shot, better chance of getting fouled) and at the 3 point line (you miss more, but you get 3 points if you make one) gives you more points per shot than mid-range shots.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's about how many points you generate per shot attempt. Close to the rim (better chance of making the shot, better chance of getting fouled) and at the 3 point line (you miss more, but you get 3 points if you make one) gives you more points per shot than mid-range shots.
Cool, thanks for explaining.