• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout shipments and digital sales top 500,000

Total shipments and digital sales for Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout, the highest selling game in the Atelier series, have surpassed 500,000 units worldwide, publisher Koei Te…
It's no secret that Ryza has done REALLY well, but wow. I'm not sure if the highest in the series bit is new now or if it was already known before, but what would've been the highest otherwise? Rorona?

What I'd like it a damn platform breakdown. We never get those. I would think Switch, especially in the west, highly contributed to that total.

Still super cool that Nintendo actually got the world-exclusive reveal of Atelier Ryza 2 in the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner's Showcase (though only in the JP version). That's a franchise first I think.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I picked it up on Switch, enjoyed what I played and wanna get back to it. Seemed like a nice game and glad to see it doing well. Seems like a much loved series

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Sophie was the previous best-selling entry, I believe. Probably at least partially due to how many platforms it was released on (it was the first PC release for the franchise, and it had a Vita, PS3 and PS4 release all at once as opposed to splitting the portable release off into a Plus release a few years later).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that the world finally gives Atelier the attention they deserve. Wonderful series that gets better with each entry (for the most part). I'll miss the time mechanics, but I loved Ryza.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I need to get caught up on the Atelier games. The last one I played was Mana Khemia 1.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's too bad KT still won't give them more of a budget or longer to make the games. If they only came out every 2 years they could probably increase the quality/scope a good amount.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I bought it on sale and only played an hour just to check it out. The graphical upgrade between this and Firis is pretty good. I was actually impressed even with just the start menu.

I can't wait to fully get into this after Xenoblade. Still it's a let down that there's no English dub. I want to enjoy the visuals without having to look down on the subs all the time.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer if it overly influences the direction of the series (not just in terms of character design - I really don't like the combat and alchemy in this one / the game in general is one of the weakest Atelier releases to me). Nice to see Gust with a win though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The power of thighs.

You could say it is the thighest selling...

giphy.gif

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I do miss the dubs for these games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Happy for them, but kind of sad that 500k is enough to be the best selling of the bunch so far. Hopefully the franchise keeps growing.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sudden burst in popularity the Atelier series has got recently really caught me off guard. If ever there were a more niche franchise I could not think of it.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Hot take: I think it sets a shit precedence.

Great for the series, at least. I'm worried what it means for character designs going forward.

What's just super annoying to me are the people who hyper-fixate on the design and post THIGHS everywhere. People just talk about the character design and nothing else. I don't know if they care about the series (probably not) or if they just want to meme about "thicc thighs." Its killed Atelier discussion at the time when the series is most relevant. (Though it's partly just relevant now because of the character design and honestly I think it's one of the weaker entries in the series and doesn't really deserve it but that's another issue.)

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Great for Gust, hope they keep having more success enough to justify them finally giving their games at least a slight budget boost lol.

They're ones of those odd developers that I always look forward to seeing what they put out next even though a) I probably won't buy it and b) I probably won't like it. To this day out of the eight Gust games I've bought, Blue Reflection is the only one I've finished (and it's slowly looking like Fairy Tail will be the second). Yet I'm still interested in following what they do. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though...

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hot take: I think it sets a shit precedence.

Great for the series, at least. I'm worried what it means for character designs going forward.
it does set a shit precedent. I do think fans should expect the later games to kind lean into it. Kinda like what happened to FE post awakening.

Maybe.

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it did well. I very much enjoyed the game and I'm really looking forward to Atelier Ryza 2. That being said, I'm not a fan of the designs this time around. Like some of the others in this thread, I'm really hoping they don't lean hard into the thigh trait...

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
In terms of relative success, that was Atelier Rorona in 2009. It set the course of what the series was for the next decade.
fair point. i have all the main games from Rorona and onwards but know almost nothing of the games before this.

though it'd be interesting if Ryza ended up being a second Awakening and making the Rorona era look like small time down the line in comparison to future games (the game itself already changes a few things about the gameplay. i haven't played it yet since i played a lot of Atelier games recently and i'm on break)

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
it does set a shit precedent. I do think fans should expect the later games to kind lean into it. Kinda like what happened to FE post awakening.

Maybe.

Nah FE recovered well with Echoes and Three Houses in terms of classy character designs. (Not saying that Awakening/Fates don't have great character designs, but there are a few problematic ones like Camilla, Charlotte, Tharja, Aversa etc. Similar fanservicey designs I can recall from Echoes and 3H are Manuela and Dorothea (sorta?), Sonya and fucking Nuibaba I guess.)

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the whole THIGHZA thing either, but one thing worth pointing out is that the Arland trilogy gradually ramped up the fanservice too until finally you got that hilariously thirsty hot springs scene in Meruru that was literally just naked people with strategically placed steam puffs. (They also had a "boys" version of that scene, so I guess it was at least somewhat equal opportunity.) The trilogy right after that reeled in the fanservice almost to the point of being non-existent.

So I don't think Ryza's marketing necessarily puts the franchise on an inevitable decline into life and hometown. Plus, as other people have mentioned before, the actual game doesn't have any fanservice besides the character designs. No skimpy hot springs scenes, no stupid boob size conversations (that I remember, anyway), no shopkeeper molestations. I definitely don't like the emphasis on THIGHZA but I'd still rather have the franchise be around than not, and if this gets us through to the next trilogy I'm happy to see where it goes.

Personally, I hope they change up the alchemy system at least somewhat for Ryza 2. It's probably my least favourite alchemy system since the Arland trilogy; I just found it so cumbersome to deal with, especially if you get a few phases into a recipe chain and realize late that you're missing some ingredients. Trying to remember every ingredient you used up to that point was annoying as hell. The change to combat to make items more important is nice, at least.

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The sudden burst in popularity the Atelier series has got recently really caught me off guard. If ever there were a more niche franchise I could not think of it.

Neptunia. Hell, there's stuff more niche than that.

I think Atelier can keep getting more popular. The games are quality and they offer a chill and comfy atmosphere that is rare in RPGs.

I'm not terribly worried about the character designs since people who have played Ryza say the game doesn't get too lewd or creepy. Past Ateliers have been back and forth on that, Rorona and Meruru had issues while Totori and almost all of the Dusk trilogy were fine. Hopefully Gust will keep improving on the issue.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neptunia. Hell, there's stuff more niche than that.

I think Atelier can keep getting more popular. The games are quality and they offer a chill and comfy atmosphere that is rare in RPGs.

I'm not terribly worried about the character designs since people who have played Ryza say the game doesn't get too lewd or creepy. Past Ateliers have been back and forth on that, Rorona and Meruru had issues while Totori and almost all of the Dusk trilogy were fine. Hopefully Gust will keep improving on the issue.

Neptunia is niche but they also have busty anime girls which will attract an audience. Atelier has always been a weird niche series about making potions and running your shop more than it has been about any like grand world saving adventures. And the designs have been pretty lowkey so far.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I guess I helped contribute to this, I got caught in the hype and bought it on sale a few weeks back. First Atelier since Sophie kinda soured me.

I hate the character designs oh my god what happened? Everybody looks terrible :( I miss the cute dresses and nice suits.
Also the battle system is just confusing. I'll try and push through, I can't even craft shit yet and that's the main feature of the series, but I hope this isn't the direction for future entries oh what the hell we know it will be.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad KT still won't give them more of a budget or longer to make the games. If they only came out every 2 years they could probably increase the quality/scope a good amount.
It's nice to have a less ridiculous, overly ambitious, years and years in development A~AA game once in a while.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Good art direction, colorful graphics, and half jokingly maybe thicc thighs too; contributes to the sales.

I hope Falcom could take notes for their future Trails & Ys...

Monstrum Nox still looks like a PS3 game in my opinion, and hoping the new engine kicks off with future games after their current Trails game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Falcom could take notes for their future Trails & Ys...

Monstrum Nox still looks like a PS3 game in my opinion, and hoping the new engine kicks off with future games after their current Trails game.
Falcom is so much smaller than Gust. I can't find the source now, but Gust was at like ~120 devs when KT bought them in 2011. They've grown since then, while Falcom has been growing and is currently at... 62 employees. If we're generous and say only 6 or 7 of those are non-developer business people, and they're split into three teams (Ys, and then the Trails team was split into two after CS4), then they're fielding like ~17 of their own employees per game before outsourcing.

They punch so far above their weight it's ridiculous.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Falcom is so much smaller than Gust. I can't find the source now, but Gust was at like ~120 devs when KT bought them in 2011. They've grown since then, while Falcom has been growing and is currently at... 62 employees.
Ahhh, I see.

Well, still hoping for the new engine much better than the old Phyre engine they've used for so long...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
7064.jpg

Just wanted to comment that your avatar is adorable. Shame we'll probably never see Kat again.
Thank you! :)
Shantae's a fun series too.

Yeah :( Loved her (and Raven) and the GR games, but it seems like they and Toyama are done with it, even though I'll obviously always hope we see something with her again someday.

Maybe she can at least guest in something eventually if they ever do any kind of crossover game ever again. It was fun seeing they had her in that PS4 montage in the PS5 event.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's well deserved. The game was legit.

Anyone who likes JRPG's needs to give it a try even if you didn't like previous Atelier games.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I know this series has been around forever but I've never even looked it's way. I will definitely give this a try once I see a good sale for this.