• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 14, 2019
I imagine the same happened with Fire Emblem Echoes to Three Houses, which makes me a bit sad about it. I really prefer Hidari's work there because of feels like an updated version of what we had in the GBA/Wii days without compromising expressiveness.
That's possible. Though honestly I'm not so sure. I think Fire Emblem was already widely successful on the 3DS, and I think Three Houses mostly sold better because it was a Switch game in an ever-increasingly popular franchise. Although i'm biased because I think the art in the 3DS games (especially Valentia) is just better.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I asked in the OP, but does anyone know the sales numbers for the previous franchise launch?

From what I'm hearing though it seems this game is a massive jump compared to the previous one which didn't release too long ago.

I was also told that Gust seems pretty quick at developing these games, yet Ryza seems to look visually that it's more high fidelity than the last games.
You can find numbers for Japanese sales here. Doesn't seem to have been updated to include Lulua.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't know why I subjected myself to the Gematsu comments section, but here we are.

Glad Gust is doing well. Heard great things about the game and I'm sure the music is remarkable as always.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exactly. It's just weird how people are trying to downplay the whole sexualization stuff when that's been the main crux of their marketing for ryza this entire time (with producer kinda joking about the whole thighs thing as well). And what's worse is there is another character in the game who's much worse off too.

Did atelier games had this problem before? Sure. Is ryza a far worse step for the series that goes way further on pandering? Yes.
This is where I'm at. I'm really interested in trying the updated gameplay, but they lost me by going further with the sexualization. Sucks because there aren't any other games like this. At least I have a big backlog of Atelier games to go through.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, I haven't been looking at Atelier for a long time. What changed in this entry?

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Is Atelier any good? I've been looking for a new jrpg series to give a shot, but there's like 30 of these, so I'm not really sure where to start.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be swell. Something on Switch is preferable, but not a necessity.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Been a fan of the series for a long while, glad to see that Gust's latest outing is selling well.

I haven't looked up too much about the game as I don't want to accidentally get spoiled, but at least it seems Ryza's outfit isn't entirely fan serviced (as in I could see it being somewhat practical).

I saw a clip on Twitter where there was essentially Gainax'd jiggle physics in the model viewer. Hoping that's just there as fan service and it doesn't do it in the game itself too much unless you try to force it to happen. (I'm not a prude at all, but what I saw in the clip was over the top.)

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told I didn't even notice the thighs until it was pointed out. I just saw a trailer a few weeks back with a cool looking style and the new battle system, and knew it was also gonna be on Switch. I won't buy at launch, but my interest was definitely piqued after that. Have wanted to try this series for a long while, but Lulua was a fourth title, and the other Switch games were evidently not too good + didn't run well on Switch.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Wait, I haven't been looking at Atelier for a long time. What changed in this entry?
Mostly the Battle system

but also some other new features

Same old otherwise: exploration, loot, crafting, and going on an adventure.
Is Atelier any good? I've been looking for a new jrpg series to give a shot, but there's like 30 of these, so I'm not really sure where to start.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be swell. Something on Switch is preferable, but not a necessity.
Yeah, it's a really nice series. It's usually better to start with the start of a new story arc like Ryza releasing next month in the west.
Otherwise on Switch, you got the Dusk remakes releasing in January on Switch (and other platforms) and usually recognized as a good starting point (no time limits like in Totori/Rorona/Meruru, different atmosphere, good pacing, etc), and some other games I wouldn't recommend as starting points (Nelke is a spinoff, and Lulua/Lydie are the last games of their story arcs).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, they're very consistently good, lower-stakes JRPGs. The dusk trilogy will get a rerelease on Switch and PS4 soon-ish, and one of those is among the best JRPGs of last gen:

19895-1.jpg

You get Hidari character designs in them:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah that was where my eyes were immediately drawn lol. Atelier is usually frilly and cutesy clothing designs.
Lol honestly though at least for me the Atelier games always interested me and all this marketing for this onefinally made me choose to buy it when it comes out in the US.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
*google search*
That gap!
Mostly the Battle system

but also some other new features

Same old otherwise: exploration, loot, crafting, and going on an adventure.

Yeah, it's a really nice series. It's usually better to start with the start of a new story arc like Ryza releasing next month in the west.
Otherwise on Switch, you got the Dusk remakes releasing in January on Switch (and other platforms) and usually recognized as a good starting point (no time limits like in Totori/Rorona/Meruru, different atmosphere, good pacing, etc), and some other games I wouldn't recommend as starting points (Nelke is a spinoff, and Lulua/Lydie are the last games of their story arcs).

Looks awesome. It's not quite there yet in terms of graphics but it's definitely getting better. I hope this series gets the Tales treatment and get a new engine.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Mix of character design that was well received and kept the game in people's minds and put more eyes on it and the game itself looking pretty good probably lead to this. Similiar to 2B and Nier Automata pretty much.

Absolutely cannot deny that her design helped the game quite a bit. When the mc of your niche series is receiving fanart in numbers seemingly rivaling that of the likes of Tifa because of Remake hype and Nessa from Pokemon S&S you know you struck gold with the design

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, they're very consistently good, lower-stakes JRPGs. The dusk trilogy will get a rerelease on Switch and PS4 soon-ish, and one of those is among the best JRPGs of last gen:

19895-1.jpg

You get Hidari character designs in them:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I think I might get this one instead just for Hidari and stay if I enjoy the gameplay. Hopefully Riza's cast is good beyond the designs being sexualized. I actually like the protagonist's look and the problematic one isn't even on the cover, soooo crossing fingers. If they had a boob physics toggle it'd be nicer, but I don't really know if any game has that. I would have used it in Senran Kagura Deep Crimsom for sure...

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Mix of character design that was well received and kept the game in people's minds and put more eyes on it and the game itself looking pretty good probably lead to this. Similiar to 2B and Nier Automata pretty much.

Absolutely cannot deny that her design helped the game quite a bit. When the mc of your niche series is receiving fanart in numbers seemingly rivaling that of the likes of Tifa because of Remake hype and Nessa from Pokemon S&S you know you struck gold with the design
Yeah I think it is very hard to claim that the main character design had no impact when it came to generating interest. Hell I'd argue it had tremendous impact on interest. There's just very few alternatives to consider such a massive and insane sales performance gap between this entry and the most recent ones before.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I know a lot of people are down because of the fanservice but, as someone who tried some of the PS3 games (Sophie, in particular), I'm drawn to this one because:

The combat system looks interesting (it's like going from FF10 to FF13 in difference, at least appearance wise. I'm a big fan of 13)
The gathering system looks fast for what it is.
The animations in combat look really good.
The story looks like it might actually have a direction with intensifying stakes besides slice of life.
The Switch port looks good (though I may get PC anyway. Still deciding).
It's a Fresh 'Arc'. Since the games are always sold/told in 'sets', if I don't like the first, I'm far more inclined to ignore the whole thing because I like to have the full story context if possible.

The only downside to me, as someone not invested in the series and acknowledging, but not too hung up on, some of the overly sexual design of some of the girls, is that they don't dub these games anymore.

I've passed up plenty of games heavy in fanservice for being bad (Hello, 90% of Compile Heart's output), and while I don't begrudge people that think the thiccness is the only reason people are more interested in this, I just want to put out that there are other reasons people would be more positive on this one than just anime ass (though shoutout to Japan for giving a girl some cake).

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Been putting a fair bit of time into the game since it's the beginning of a new trilogy or w/e and I'd heard the performance on Switch was a lot better (plus that new lighting system, mm), and it's probably the most fun I've had with an Atelier since Eschalogy. The combat is really interesting and the glow up in visuals makes exploration feel a lot more rewarding.

It also helps that the story is actually a fair ways different this time. Ryza is not an alchemist to begin with, she's just a farmer, and her friends are kind of the town rejects who get bullied by the wealthy. They're all picking up their skillsets from like, zero, so it's really easy to cheer for them to succeed and show up the assholes who think they're just dorks.

Which also lines up with what the devs were saying about how they don't plan on having Ryza appear in the next game as an alchemist teacher or master because they've done that too many times already.

The whole thing definitely feels like it's got a brand new direction, and I'm digging it.

I don't doubt that the slightly ecchi-er designs are drawing the game attention, but the positive word of mouth on top of that is definitely also a factor here. It's a good game with a surprisingly great Switch version to boot.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just wish NISA could get the series back so we could get proper English localizations again, because it seems like Koei-Tecmo doesn't care to put any effort into them any more.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been putting a fair bit of time into the game since it's the beginning of a new trilogy or w/e and I'd heard the performance on Switch was a lot better (plus that new lighting system, mm), and it's probably the most fun I've had with an Atelier since Eschalogy. The combat is really interesting and the glow up in visuals makes exploration feel a lot more rewarding.

It also helps that the story is actually a fair ways different this time. Ryza is not an alchemist to begin with, she's just a farmer, and her friends are kind of the town rejects who get bullied by the wealthy. They're all picking up their skillsets from like, zero, so it's really easy to cheer for them to succeed and show up the assholes who think they're just dorks.

Which also lines up with what the devs were saying about how they don't plan on having Ryza appear in the next game as an alchemist teacher or master because they've done that too many times already.

The whole thing definitely feels like it's got a brand new direction, and I'm digging it.

I don't doubt that the slightly ecchi-er designs are drawing the game attention, but the positive word of mouth on top of that is definitely also a factor here. It's a good game with a surprisingly great Switch version to boot.

Thanks for the impressions!

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
These always score around ~75 or higher.
Not always

Though I'm surprised; apparently one of the Dusk games made it to 80.
Maybe I'm jaded but in my experience reviewers especially are frequently less forgiving to sexualization and lower the score for that, and this game definitely has enough of that to be noticeable (moreso than the Mysterious games). I fear the MC's design, physics, as well as a couple side characters are going to lower the score a bit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not always

Though I'm surprised; apparently one of the Dusk games made it to 80.
Maybe I'm jaded but in my experience reviewers especially are frequently less forgiving to sexualization and lower the score for that, and this game definitely has enough of that to be noticeable (moreso than the Mysterious games). I fear the MC's design, physics, as well as a couple side characters are going to lower the score a bit.
The plus versions of those are all high 70s to 80 :P

Nelke is a pretty terrible spinoff and deserves worse though imo.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
There's no English dub for the U.S. release of this?
Unfortunately not; the series stopped having English dubs at Lydie & Suelle and have been Japanese only since :/
The plus versions of those are all high 70s to 80 :P
I stand corrected.
I skipped looking into those cause I figured they probably had issues due to Gust's inconsistency with handheld devices. Plus wasn't Rorona the only one that had any significant changes between versions? It was basically a remake that one.
In any case I'm happy to be proven wrong! Here's hoping Ryza follows the trend.