• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (81)
Metacritic (PS5) (78)
Metacritic (Switch) (80)
Metacritic (PC) (84)
OpenCritic (81)

Console Creatures (recommended):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & The Secret Fairy is an excellent follow-up and perhaps the next step to a third Ryza game. Gust improves on many systems and expanded on all the things that made the first game so great, the only question is whether we're getting a third entry. After spending so much time with these characters, it's hard not to like each one of them. Ryza is a welcome bright spot and such a charming protagonist to play as and while the combat may not have my attention, the alchemy and biggest focus on exploration are a worthy trade-off.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
Gust's experiment with giving a beloved character a direct sequel has paid off. Anyone who enjoyed the first Atelier Ryza - and many place it right at the top of their series favourites for a reason - will love the subtle improvements that Gust has brought on board, without messing with the qualities that made the original so enjoyable. It has also been nice to play an Atelier that isn't also a coming of age story, and while Ryza isn't my favourite character in the series, the two-game arc that Gust has given her has given us one of the finest female heroes across all JRPGs. Atelier is really pushing into the upper echelons of JRPGs now, and I'm quite confident that the next game in the series will continue to build on the brilliant achievement of Ryza and its sequel (can we go back to more traditional Atelier protagonists with the next one though, please, Gust?).

PSX Brasil (95/100, review in Portuguese):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a great JRPG and an excellent sequel to one of the most loved and entertaining titles of this generation. Its exploration and combat work well and further elevate a well-constructed narrative that should appeal to fans of the previous title.

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a significant shift for the series, being the first-ever direct sequel with a returning protagonist in all of Atelier. While this isn't a perfect entry point for newcomers, Atelier Ryza 2 builds on every aspect of the previous game flawlessly. Even with some minor hiccups, the immersive exploration systems and addictive combat are top-notch. The gorgeous visuals and comfy music are just as much of a delight, but the best piece of the puzzle is the relatable narrative about growth and friendship that I won't soon forget. A highlight of the Atelier series, and an absolute must-play.

RPG Site (9/10):
It's mind-boggling just how much Gust managed to squeeze into Ryza 2 with such a short time budget; the increased scope, both in terms of gameplay mechanics as well as the presentation, is nothing to scoff at. While not all of the changes will necessarily gel with every Atelier player, they clearly build upon the goals that Gust had set for themselves with the first game. It ultimately makes Ryza 2 feel much more like a traditional JRPG than the first game did, which is sure to appeal to more players - and I don't necessarily think that comes at the expense of what made the Atelier series so unique in the first place. There are moments where you can clearly see the limitations of the game's development shine through - such as with recycled assets - but even then, most of the time Gust manages to contextualize things so that you never really feel like the game was made in such a short timeframe.

RPG Fan (90/100):
Longtime fans of the Atelier series will find a lot to love in Atelier Ryza 2. New fans who started with its predecessor also will be pleased to know that the sequel more than lives up to expectations. My initial impressions of the game were quite positive and full of hope, and I'm happy to say that Ryza 2 delivers on nearly every front. A wonderful art style, a touching story, a fantastic combat system, an intuitive alchemy system, a stunningly gorgeous soundtrack, and a bevy of new systems go a long way in making this not only one of the best Atelier games in the series, but one of Gust's best games.

TheGamer (4.5/5):
It all adds up to a beautiful experience in Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy. There's a bit of a learning curve with the game's synthesis and battle systems, but Atelier Ryza 2 is a game that is easy going enough to allow you to take your time to truly get a handle on everything it has to offer (which is a lot). I was already eyeing the 1:7 Scale PVC Ryza statue that's available next month. After playing Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy, I can say with complete confidence that I'll be pulling the trigger on that purchase. Not too many games can boast having that sort of impact on me.

Noisy Pixel (9/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy takes everything good about the first entry and expands on it tenfold. There's a significant focus on exploration in this entry that makes it feel like a real adventure with limited backtracking and more emphasis and discovery. The battle system is amazing and fluid, if only lacking inaccessibility for its more nuanced systems, and the narrative features relatable moments of reuniting with friends for one more adventure.

TechRaptor (9/10):
Atelier Ryza 2 is an excellent entry in an item-crafting focused JRPG series. It improves on its predecessor via quality-of-life improvements, more in-depth character interactions and a sprawling story. Plus, it's absolutely adorable!

Heavy (9/10):
Ryza's new onfield actions, the improved battle mechanics, and the deeper alchemy systems also impress in this quality sequel. Minor annoyances tied to the map layout and the more complex features attached to the alchemy system hamper the game's overall experience a bit. But all in all, Ryza's return is a lighthearted pleasure that is entertaining from start to finish.

But Why Tho? (9/10):
Overall, Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy delivers an exciting adventure JRPG game full of more action and adventure than the previous game. It brings back a majority of the original gameplay, making it accessible for newcomers and longtime fans of the game. In addition to bringing back a lot of the original gameplay, Atelier Ryza 2 also introduces new features that open up more movements and actions in the game that adds to the adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed this game so much and could play it for hours on end. And for $59.99, it's reasonably priced for the quality of the game you get.

Nintenderos (8.8/10, review in Spanish):
Atelier Ryza 2 continues the adventures of Ryza and company three years after the events of the original game, introducing us to new characters and further improving the formula that fans love so much for a promising franchise with a lot of future ahead.

Everyeye.it (8.7/10, review in Italian):
Except for the technical sector, Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy has done exactly what we would expect from a good sequel, that is to improve the original product in every respect.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy is engaging from start to finish, with entertaining combat and a more robust alchemy system than any other game in the series. The gameplay loop of collecting ingredients, using them to create items, and gaining skill points is incredibly satisfying, and exploring the world is a joy. Once you get past the slower-paced first few hours, it's hard to stop playing this light-hearted adventure.

Switching Worlds (8.5/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy more-or-less does what the sequel should be. We're on another adventure in the Ryza universe with refinements, returning with Ryza herself and the crew, no less. I can see how certain features being streamlined, such as synthesizing, may be seen as toned down for long-time players, but it just feels better. Atelier is probably too wholesome for its own good, as often the obvious and expected are just that, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Ryza 2 provides some new mechanics that leaves one wondering about future improvements and is enough to enjoy embarking on a new adventure. (Even though Fi was largely annoying for most of the game).

33bits (85/100, review in Spanish):
We can not say that with this installment the saga moves away from the niche where his comfort zone was or dare to look even you to you to the greats of the genre, because the base and the way of telling the story remain unchanged, but the production values and the care devoted to the game have made a clear leap. With this, not only fans of the saga are in luck, but many fans of the genre who were looking at the saga without knowing whether to dare to approach or not, can try this installment as the best opportunity to do so. Ryza 2 becomes, on its own merit, the best installment of this long-running saga.

Cat with Monocle (4.25/5):
Atelier Ryza 2 has most of the right pieces to make a charming RPG, from its characters and story to its gameplay mechanics. Whether you've played its predecessor or not, it's well worth exploring the world of alchemy through Ryza's eyes.

COGconnected (8.4/10):
Atelia Ryza 2: Lost Legends & The Secret Fairy is a highly enjoyable JRPG. Returning fans of the series and new ones should be delighted. Ryza has an infectiously bright personality and her relationship with the other party members meshes well. The combat is fast, and the story is intriguing. The heavier focus on exploration, as well as alchemy, is a welcome change. If you haven't played the original game in the series, I highly suggest that you do. But Atelier Ryza 2 takes most of the negatives from the first title and improves on them in a big way.

Gamersky (8.3/10, review in Chinese):
After the predecessor set up a huge sale with the beauty of Rysa, this sequel did not intend to make quick money or be perfunctory. The more interesting gameplay design has brought me a lot of different experiences. The process of collecting clues in the maze and piecing together the grand story behind the ruins made me addicted to it.

IGN Italia (8.2/10, review in Italian):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a step forward from the original Atelier. A more investigative tone, combined with new interactions, enhances the overall experience and makes the game fascinating.

Multiplayer.it (8.2/10, review in Italian):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is the sequel of the popular title. The gameplay is still fun and immersive but for the future we need to have some innovation.

Escapist Magazine (8/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a strong entry in the series and is an improvement on the previous game. It introduces new mechanics that fit well within the context of the story without feeling like they were forcibly implemented just for the sake of it, while also refining existing core gameplay elements. While I'm not entirely satisfied with a change, or lack thereof, here and there, this game is certainly worth your time, especially if you enjoyed Ryza's first adventure.

Trusted Reviews (4/5):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy is a brilliant sequel that expands upon everything that made the original great, while forging a path forward that can be further expanded upon in the trilogy's final chapter.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
An improved gameplay makes Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy a delightful experience full of legends, mysteries and friendship.

Gamer Escape (8/10):
The original Ryza proved itself the best in the Atelier series sales-wise, and it's pretty obvious Gust and Koei Tecmo didn't want to mess with the formula too much for its sequel. Aside from the more exploration-based storyline, everything here will be incredibly familiar to players of the first game.

Much like the original, I found myself having a great time with Ryza 2. As I mentioned back then, if this is the direction the Atelier series is moving in, you can count me in as a fan from this point.

While the question remains if Gust will stick with this formula when they eventually move away from titles staring Ryza, I personally hope they continue to revise and refine this model. If Ryza 1 caught my interest, then Ryza 2 definitely has my attention.

Gamers Heroes (80/100):
While Atelier Ryza 2 won't set your world on fire, it does serve as comfort food for JRPG fans looking for a fix. However, those who aren't fans of the genre should stay far, far away.

PlayStation Universe (8/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy improves many of the flaws from the original game while carving out its own identity. Ryza and her companions are some of the best this franchise has seen. With a bigger focus on story, combat, and character progression, Atelier Ryza 2 feels more like an overall RPG experience rather than just a crafting simulator. It's not a perfect game by any means and it does suffer from some issues but they in no way hamper the overall experience.

Nintendo World Report (8/10):
The main story of Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy takes upwards of 30 hours to complete, but filling out the item and monster guides and seeing your way through every companion's individual stories will add a dozen or more hours to that total. Three initial difficulty modes, in addition to two unlockable ones, let players tailor the experience, and a paid season pass promises to add costumes, recipes, and new areas to explore. The slow beginning of the first Ryza game is remedied somewhat here, and the ability to fast-travel from anywhere to almost anywhere else is pure bliss. The story's lighter fare, doubly so for the side quests, won't appeal to everyone, but the solid battle system, intuitive but deep crafting system, and decent overall gameplay loop were all enough to hold my attention and then some. Even though the concoction might not have come out perfect, it absolutely Ryza's to the occasion.

Hey Poor Player (4/5):
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & The Secret Hideout was a great start, and Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & The Secret Fairy does an excellent job, for the most part, of building on what was already there. Is it perfect? No, it's not. But that's okay. Looking past the fact that this, plain and simple, is a fun game, Atelier Ryza 2 once again keeps my faith alive in GUST being on the mend. I don't know if there's going to be an Atelier Ryza 3, but I hope that there will be. And if there is, then I know that it will be even better than the two wonderful games that have made up the trilogy so far.

Siliconera (8/10):
Ryza is back and, well, good news! If you liked her debut adventure, then you're going to also love Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy. It does a lot of what made the original game great. We have characters who are easy to love and face realistic problems. We have lots of materials to gather and things to make. There's also more intrigue, since there are multiple ruins to explore. It's also a lot more active than before though, with a new progression system for recipes, which might not be exactly what you're looking for.

DarkStation (4/5):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a great entry point for those unfamiliar with JRPGs but who would like to get acquainted with this perhaps mythical genre. At the same time, you also have to learn and put up with grinding, because now and then you will encounter bosses that are a bit too much for an under-leveled party. Thanks to the snappy combat, quick gameplay and easy traversal, you are back in the home base in no time for another go. Ryza's bright attitude will rub on you and make it easier to go through chores and grinding of real life.

The Games Machine (8/10, review in Italian):
A new chapter of Ryza's saga, Atelier Ryza 2 improves the combat system with the interesting Item Rush mechanic. Its longevity is also very good thanks to a wide variety of activities, but those looking for a challenge might be disappointed by its difficulty. All in all, Atelier Ryza 2 is a game that shows the care and love that went into its making.

WellPlayed (8/10):
This sequel to an already-decent entry in the Atelier franchise makes improvements in just about every area, giving fans good reason to reunite with Ryza and pals for another alchemy-filled adventure.

Just Push Start (4/5):
Overall, Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is what you'd expect from a sequel. It builds on the base, continues Ryza's adventure, and holds true to what players love about the franchise. The performance boost found on the PlayStation 5 is welcome, as is the more dynamic gameplay, though it is still going to be an adventure that appeals to that specific demographic. If that is fine, odds are you'll have a blast seeing what the future holds for Ryza, whereas everyone else might want to sit this one out.

Worth Playing (7.8/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy might not be ambitious, but if you enjoy Atelier titles, it's a solid and engaging experience. It's basically the original Ryza title, only larger and more polished. The Atelier franchise usually keeps things fresh with a new protagonist and cast for every game, but with the full cast from the original title, Ryza 2 can sometimes feel like a repeat of the previous adventure. This isn't bad, since the original Ryza was fun and the gameplay is solid, but it can sometimes feel a touch too familiar.

SpazioGames (7.7/10, review in Italian):
Atelier Ryza 2 is satisfied to offer more of the same gameplay from the first title, with marginal improvements over the game published last year. It's still a good JRPG but, unlike its predecessor, plays it a little too safe.

Gamer Guides (7.5/5):
Atelier Ryza 2 is a much-improved sequel over the first game and when my summer adventure came to an end, I was left wanting more and I hope Gust follow up with a final entry to Ryza's story. The characters are endearing, the lore of the world is intriguing and with each entry, the gameplay improvements are there to see. It's not without its faults, there are graphical glitches when running up staircases and the constant pandering of Ryza does become a bit too much at times. The game often takes liberties with the camera to focus on Ryza, especially when crawling through gaps (of which goes a bit too far with its focus).

Destructoid (7.5/10):
I'm sort of in the same position as I was last time around: I enjoyed the experience, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to go out and pick up the rest of the series.

Cultured Vultures (7.5/10):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy has a personality all its own with fun crafting and flashy combat, but falls into common RPG pitfalls such as constant backtracking and tedious questing.

PC Invasion (7.5/10):
Atelier Ryza 2 has great crafting and combat. But that's because it mostly copies and pastes them from the last game. There's still some new stuff to see and the game is enjoyable regardless, but don't expect them to reinvent the wheel. Mostly, expect the same wheel.

Comicbook.com (3.5/5):
Takes what's good about the first game and improves upon it. It's set apart from other games in its genre through its charmingly wholesome tone and low-stakes narrative that allow its characters and their relationships to shine while conveying relatably human themes filtered through an optimistic, sometimes-wistful lens. The game's systems are sometimes at odds but are each entertaining, and exploring ancient ruins with Ryza and her friends on a quest for knowledge regularly instills a hopeful sense of adventure. Atelier Ryza 2 will well-suit anyone looking for a leisurely, character-centric, self-paced, and intimate JRPG journey.

Screen Rant (3.5/5):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy is a great pick for fans of JRPG games who are interested in a complex gaming experience that regularly challenges them to think outside the box to solve problems.

Attack of the Fanboy (3.5/5):
While Atelier Ryza 2 doesn't do much to stand out other than its in-depth crafting system, the core joys of the genre are here. If you like JRPGs, you could do much worse than this.

IGN Japan (7/10, review in Japanese):
This PS5 entry in the Atelier series delivers gorgeous anime-style visuals, which its alchemy mechanics make it easy to create equipment of the highest rank, making the speedy and dynamic combat a lot of fun. That being said, the game's design can sometimes feel a bit too much on the user-friendly side, which can make the exploration feel tedious. While most of the story depicts the characters' everyday lives, be prepared for a dramatic ending.

Hardcore Gamer (3.5/5):
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy revisits Ryza and some of her friends as they deal with some of the challenges in entering adulthood. Giving Ryza new abilities to explore the world, such as scaling walls and swimming, add a subtle touch that she has gotten more adventurous since the events of its predecessor while adding new gameplay mechanics to exploring the world. Like other Atelier games, this one has an upbeat feel to it, and even though Ryza and company are exploring a dangerous world with faster-paced combat, it's still one of the more relaxing JRPGs on the market. Even with the changes to the game mechanics and faster combat, this has the classic Atelier feel to it where fans of the series will feel right at home.

WayTooManyGames (6.5/10):
Don't think Atelier Ryza 2 is a bad game. There are lots of good things in it, in fact. The problem is that I was expecting more from a game with a full-fledged Playstation 5 build. With the exception of the fast loading times, the game doesn't take advantage of the system's hardware, resulting in a game that looks dated and runs as well as what I would expect from its Switch port.

Jeuxvideo.com (11/20, review in French):
Atelier Ryza 2 is a frustrating experience as it continues to deconstruct the main principles that have supported the series for more than 10 years. We are witnessing a script written on a corner of the table, an interventionist adventure full of empty dungeons, and uninspired conversations between characters of all kinds. It is the sad impression of a forced march towards naive and insipid general public standards which destroy the charm of yesteryear. However, we take a lot of fun in the fights and with the flawless alchemy system that appears more than ever as the last bulwark before the general collapse.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Although I clearly enjoyed Ryza 2 a lot, I have to say - I saw impressions like Jeuxvideo's coming. The game is structured much more like a traditional JRPG than previous Ateliers. I can see how folks might walk away disappointed. Similarly, I foresee that the changes to the way Quality is handled during synthesis will have some blowback.

Still - I absolutely loved it, but stuff to keep in mind.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I wonder why the PS4 version has the highest scores of all the platform?

The Switch and PS5 have similar scores.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There shouldn't be any PS5 reviews, the PS5 version wasn't accessible until today (in the US) and Friday (Europe).

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's not true, I know some people that had been playing the actual PS5 version before then. Some of the issues (poor framerate outside of 1080p) were being mentioned to me well in advance.

Interesting, maybe it was just here in Europe then. Our distributor specifically stressed the point of no access to the PS5 version until launch and I got an error every time I tried to download it (in fact, I still do now).

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Although I clearly enjoyed Ryza 2 a lot, I have to say - I saw impressions like Jeuxvideo's coming. The game is structured much more like a traditional JRPG than previous Ateliers. I can see how folks might walk away disappointed. Similarly, I foresee that the changes to the way Quality is handled during synthesis will have some blowback.

What do you mean? It has more dungeons for instance?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Oh no....how is quality handled now during synthesis???

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I won't lie, seeing the "traditional JRPG" comment in your review really worries me. The thing I like about Atelier games is that they're NOT traditional JRPGs in many ways. I skimmed over parts of the review because I'm trying to go into the game as fresh as possible, but I think the Atelier series slowly moving away from the smaller, more personal stories of yesteryear in favour of the same boring "we gotta save the world from ruin!" plotlines is not in any way appealing.

I think he's referring to the fact that you have to unlock the ability to craft higher quality items in the skill tree

It's been a while since I played it, but I want to say that Atelier Lulua did this too, so it wouldn't necessarily be new to the franchise. I don't remember it being a big hindrance in Lulua, either.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to play these, but I started with Rorona and play them chronologically I am only at the second game of the Dusk Trilogy 😅

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

Well, we haven't had "traditional RPG" Atelier since Iris 1-3 and Mana Khemia 1-2 so a slight detour every now and then isn't bad.

bring back the mana though

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
What I was referring to, is how Quality is now cumulative - not an average + bonuses. Quality will never drop when you add items to a synthesis.

oh wow that's a pretty big change. I am playing Ryza 1 right now and having to be careful not to drop quality is a pretty important part of the alchemy lol.

also, this game is not short?!?! I am at the end of the 3rd chapter and have to be 35-40 hours in. I was hoping I was near the end but apparently nope! Although I am loving the game I'm just impatient to play the sequel

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I feel like the ability to shatter the balance and just steamroll everything if you know what you're doing shouldn't really be a con. It's basically one of the best things about Atelier games. lol

The game doesn't put up enough of a fight on Hard for breaking it to feel "good" like it usually does in other Atelier games. Charismatic difficulty grants the challenge the game needs to make building an absurdly busted item that destroys the balance of the game feel worth it, but Very Hard and Charismatic are locked behind a game clear.

Thankfully, post-game and charismatic is adequately challenging and I'm eager to destroy it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The game doesn't put up enough of a fight on Hard for breaking it to feel "good" like it usually does in other Atelier games. Charismatic difficulty grants the challenge the game needs to make building an absurdly busted item that destroys the balance of the game feel worth it, but Very Hard and Charismatic are locked behind a game clear.

Thankfully, post-game and charismatic is adequately challenging and I'm eager to destroy it.

Yeah, so basically the same way Ryza 1 was set up, too. Hell, even by the end in that game I was so powerful that Charismatic was a breeze. lol

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so basically the same way Ryza 1 was set up, too. Hell, even by the end in that game I was so powerful that Charismatic was a breeze. lol

That said, there are some spikes when you get to new ruins so it doesn't stay broken for long. I felt very OP on Hard for maybe 3-4 long stretches through ruins before finally getting my first game over some 42 hours in.

The main reason it doesn't feel as good to be so overpowered early in is because the combat system feels so good this time around, so its a shame when you can wipe out mini bosses before you even get a chance to see your new stuff.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Here is a good a review from someone with a nice voice. I think he's a member here.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hoped I was just going to miss out on some context so I could jump right in, but I guess I should play the first game since it's a direct continuation.

Thanks

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hoped I was just going to miss out on some context so I could jump right in, but I guess I should play the first game since it's a direct continuation.

Thanks

The first game is quite good, but the second is quite a big step up. If you end up liking the first one, you're in for a treat with the second.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
i started the first game around when it came out and played about and hour. I picked up again a few days ago and forgot how the battle system works and almost lost my first battle.