• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
People skipping Ryza 1 and playing this first are doing a disservice to themselves. Not just because it's a direct sequel, but because the first Ryza is an excellent game in its own right and should be played.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People skipping Ryza 1 and playing this first are doing a disservice to themselves. Not just because it's a direct sequel, but because the first Ryza is an excellent game in its own right and should be played.
Yeah, Ryza 1 was considered one of, if not the best Atelier game up until this one's release. Why would you even want to skip it?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I just set the PS5 to 1080p and yeah it's way better. I'll gladly take the resolution hit for 60FPS, especially since it doesn't even feel like 30FPS in the default 4k mode. There's really no excuse for that.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just set the PS5 to 1080p and yeah it's way better. I'll gladly take the resolution hit for 60FPS, especially since it doesn't even feel like 30FPS in the default 4k mode. There's really no excuse for that.

Kinda makes me want to wait and see if Gust does another patch to improve 4K performance.

How does the game look in 1080p if you're playing on a 4K TV?

At this rate I might just opt for the Switch version.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Quick question. I bought Ryza on ps5 but whenever I go to the store it gives me an option to buy it again. I'm trying to see if I'm paranoid. I don't think I bought the ps4 version. It doesn't have the ps4 indicator on the tab. How do I know if I bought the right version?

Edit: NVM I figured it out. Using game version in os menu let's you know what version to play. Frame rate is choppy unfortunately. I wonder if they'll patch it.

Last edited:

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Kinda makes me want to wait and see if Gust does another patch to improve 4K performance.

How does the game look in 1080p if you're playing on a 4K TV?

At this rate I might just opt for the Switch version.
My TV tends to display 1080p content well, so it looks like it would on a 1080p set pretty much. It is noticeably lower resolution but I'd rather play it like this because it felt bad to play in 4k.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
My TV tends to display 1080p content well, so it looks like it would on a 1080p set pretty much. It is noticeably lower resolution but I'd rather play it like this because it felt bad to play in 4k.

What's funny is apparently the Switch version docked is also 1080p but a solid 30fps, so makes you wonder with the power of the PS5 that they couldn't get it running smooth on 4K. I suppose it has a lot to do with the game being developed primarily on "old-gen" hardware and they probably had very little time optimizing a PS5 version.

Even though I played Ryza 1 on Switch I'm still tempted to go with PS5 simply for the better load times and trophy support. I'm sure there's also extra graphical effects on the PS5 version, too.

accidias

Jan 25, 2021
I can't find the post that asked about it, but regarding the physical edition Puni shirt bonuses-- I just received the code for NISA digitally! Not sure why the code didn't have a physical card, like the Sonnet of Dawn costume did.

I know DLC is a scam and all that, but I wish there was actually a way to get all of the DLC on one copy of the game. Gating content behind buying the physical or digital version is annoying.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Has anyone who ordered from Amazon gotten the pre-order DLC code yet? My Switch copy just arrived but no code in the case and no email from Amazon. IIRC Amazon typically emails bonus codes once the item is shipped out, right?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone who ordered from Amazon gotten the pre-order DLC code yet? My Switch copy just arrived but no code in the case and no email from Amazon. IIRC Amazon typically emails bonus codes once the item is shipped out, right?
Ordered from .ca and got the code a few hours after it shipped, via email.

Puzzle guide for the Fairy Statues

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Heads up - there's a puzzle in the game that relies on the Limited Edition's artbook, using codesheets and a decoder. Unfortunately - the codesheets haven't been translated.

I wrote up a guide for folks that want to do the puzzle anyways:

Atelier Ryza 2 - Solving the Mystery of the Fairy Statues | RPG Site

Intended to be a puzzle for owners of the Limited Edition, a lack of a proper translation for the decoder makes solving this mystery tricky. We've got your back!

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Well in my case, I'm interested to go directly for Ryza 2 'cause the game is translated in French, it was not the case for the first one.
If you thought the first one had a boring story, then the sequel isn't probably for you.
You will probably be lost when some characters are introduced but some reviewers said that it's fine to not play the first game.

accidias

Jan 25, 2021
Heads up - there's a puzzle in the game that relies on the Limited Edition's artbook, using codesheets and a decoder. Unfortunately - the codesheets haven't been translated.

Intended to be a puzzle for owners of the Limited Edition, a lack of a proper translation for the decoder makes solving this mystery tricky. We've got your back!
I wondering why NISA didn't translate the artbook! Such a weird decision. Then again, making the Limited Edition-exclusive puzzle so easy to accidentally find, even using a cutscene to draw attention to it in-game, is an even weirder decision...

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

That's unfortunate. One of my favorite gaming memories was solving the submarine code in Star Tropics by using water on the last portion of the Professor's letter, so it would have been cool to have something similar to that in this one (minus the water, of course). Shame they didn't translate it, seems like such a strange oversight. :/

Appreciate the solution for when my copy arrives in the mail!

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

This was driving me insane, thanks!
I was hoping it was a seal for a superboss or something, but this is cute.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed that the PS5 performance and visual modes require changing your display settings outside the game. Even at 60 fps this game looks blurry as fuck.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked the Steam forums and like 75% of the page is people whining about the game being "censored".

I assume that means that they didn't have as many 10,000 year old dragons and other creepy fan service crap as the previous games?

If so, I might actually want to check this game out now

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Except the game isn't censored at all. KT made a point that this wasn't going to be censored but I guess that wasn't good enough for the concern troll crowd.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked the Steam forums and like 75% of the page is people whining about the game being "censored".

I assume that means that they didn't have as many 10,000 year old dragons and other creepy fan service crap as the previous games?

Sony 'censored' a trailer by clouding out some areas of footage. KT said the game wasn't going to have that, but people on Steam forums went nuts anyways about it.

That said, there's no creepy stuff in the game at all. There's nothing to 'censor'.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Sony 'censored' a trailer by clouding out some areas of footage. KT said the game wasn't going to have that, but people on Steam forums went nuts anyways about it.

That said, there's no creepy stuff in the game at all. There's nothing to 'censor'.

What did Sony "cloud out" in the footage?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

The game is the same as the Japanese version, there's nothing to censor anyway.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
What did Sony "cloud out" in the footage?

They thought it'd be a good idea to add a cloud over Serri's outfit in a shot on the PlayStation channel.

hdgpv1J.png

You can watch the comparison on youtube but I don't feel like linking videos from that crowd.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw someone on the Steam forums say that there is no native UW support, you can fix this through a .ini edit but it will stretch the UI unfortunately...

Oh god damn profound sadness! I stretched that UI for the first game, so maybe someone will hex edit or mod it. Still, the games in UW are a sight to behold!

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Don't forget to redeem the free DLC for the Summer Fashion Costume Set. You can redeem without buying the game from the eshop and PSN, but Steam requires you to own the game first.

www.nintendo.com

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Summer Fashion Costume Set

Experience a new summer adventure in summer fashion
store.steampowered.com

Atelier Ryza 2: Summer Fashion Costume Set on Steam

“Summer Fashion Costume Set” that will feature 7 costumes in total, one for each of the following characters: Ryza, Lent, Tao, Klaudia, Patricia, Serri, and Clifford.

Feb 15, 2019
You know what would've been great? If brexit didn't cause KT to cancel my limited edition preorder and make it so you can't even order it for the foreseeable future (and whenever it's back up I wouldn't be surprised if I had to pay an extra 30 pounds if I can still even nab one). Hope the PC port is good.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Well I decided to pick this up. I'm really impressed with it after about 3 hours. Really solid all around.

I always thought this series was just gratuitous fan service with a loose RPG under it. The character's design is definitely not great, but the other ones aren't nearly as bad so far.

The worst thing so far about the game is the main character's piercing shrieks for almost every action she does, but luckily you can mute the VO entirely to remedy that.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I closed the game completely before changing resolutions. It's a massive difference.

Hey so, remember how I said changing the resolution while the game's running didn't change the performance but changed the resolution? Try changing from 1080p back to 4k when it's running at 60fps without restarting the game (as in, start the game in 1080p60, home button to settings, change resolution to auto/4k and then just go back into the game without closing it) and tell me if it's now 4k60fps for you because I think that's what it looks like?

Or maybe the game's just not changing resolution at all now? I can't tell lmao, but you can at least set the console back to 4k after you get the game running in 1080p60 and dashboard is back to 4k.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
So what's wrong with the ps5 version? I can just as easily play the ps4 version if it's bad enough. Also do we know if the trophy pop works the other way? Like generally speaking, if you play a ps4 version of a game then switch to the ps5, it pops all the trophies you earned on the ps4 for the ps5 version as well. Does it work the other way around too?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So what's wrong with the ps5 version? I can just as easily play the ps4 version if it's bad enough. Also do we know if the trophy pop works the other way? Like generally speaking, if you play a ps4 version of a game then switch to the ps5, it pops all the trophies you earned on the ps4 for the ps5 version as well. Does it work the other way around too?

I don't have it on PS5 yet but from what I've read the default 4K mode has an uncapped framerate and is nowhere near a solid 60. It has frequent dips and hitches which can cause people motion sickness and headaches. The in-game resolution/performance settings apparently doesn't work either and might be bugged, because switching it to performance drops the game to 1080p resolution but still retains the bad framerate. You actually have to go into the PS5 system settings and change the output resolution to 1080p, then restart the game for it to take effect.

It's very odd and a poor showing by Gust, IMO. Hopefully they are aware of this and it gets patched.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Played two hours tonight of the PS5 version. I think I'm probably less sensitive to the frame rate issues, but I didn't notice any major problems leaving my PS5 at 4K. It's clearly running at around 30fps and doesn't even seem to be trying to hit 60, so if you're someone who prefers 60fps then you should still drop to 1080p, but I didn't feel any motion sickness or anything leaving it in 4K so YMMV. That said, there are some odd graphic artifacts, most notably an odd sort of pulsing in textures and shadows. It kind of feels a bit like moire pattern issues or something, not sure? I've seen weird shadow artifacts before in recent Atelier games that look very similar, most notably with the PC version of Firis, so I wonder if it's just that. I can see why this would cause a certain amount of nausea, as it's surprisingly uncomfortable to look at given how subtle it is.

As for the game itself, I'm really digging Atelier Ryza 2: The College Years. The big city university vibe really does it for me in a way the first game's setting never really did, and everyone so far feels just that much more grown up, which I appreciate. Plus the city looks awesome! Battle theme is fire, and the battle system itself feels more fun than Ryza 1 too--the action orders being much more clear so far helps a lot. I will say that the UI could be more in your face on certain things like the timing for hitting the guard and attack buttons, but it's less that it was a problem for me personally and more that it looked pretty subtle and I wonder if some people will miss that there are timing prompts at all.

Weirdly, the one thing I haven't done very much of is alchemy. And thanks to the battle system so far leaning heavily on action orders to deal damage, I haven't really felt its absence except for nearly dying in my very first fights with Tao in my party because I had zero healing items or abilities. So far it seems to work exactly like Ryza 1, so it'll be interesting to see how they've tweaked the system.

In general, first impressions are pretty good! Really my biggest concern at the moment has nothing to do with the game; it's about the PS5's occasional tendency to "forget" that it's suspended a game, meaning I have to make sure to get back to the atelier to save before suspending the PS5 for the night.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I don't have it on PS5 yet but from what I've read the default 4K mode has an uncapped framerate and is nowhere near a solid 60. It has frequent dips and hitches which can cause people motion sickness and headaches. The in-game resolution/performance settings apparently doesn't work either and might be bugged, because switching it to performance drops the game to 1080p resolution but still retains the bad framerate. You actually have to go into the PS5 system settings and change the output resolution to 1080p, then restart the game for it to take effect.

It's very odd and a poor showing by Gust, IMO. Hopefully they are aware of this and it gets patched.

Thanks. Any idea if we can ping ps4 trophies playing the ps5 version? I loved doing that in other games like assassins creed and borderlands 3, but the other way around.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'm not sure. I was under the assumption they had separate achievements so you'd have to play the game twice, but I could be wrong.

Lately if you beat assassins creed or borderlands 3 or immortals on the ps4, you can load up your save on ps5 version and just get the trophies again. They all pop. It even happens in destiny 2. I was just curious if it works the other way too. Cuz I think I'll just play the ps5 version

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
First Atelier game I've ever played. Played a couple hours last night and really like it. So far a nice lighthearted RPG. Definitely a lot of mechanics to keep track of, but that's not unusual for a new RPG. I'm playing on Switch. I've found RPGs on Switch are much easier to pick up and play...easy to grind or farm for stuff while something is on TV.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing so far about the game is the main character's piercing shrieks for almost every action she does, but luckily you can mute the VO entirely to remedy that.

This was the thing putting me off and I... just never though or switching off the VO. 🤡

Reckon I'll now pick this up on Friday. In need of something bright and low stakes.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really huge shame that the frame rate is still just terrible. The other problem is that this game might be the most blown out bloom-filled game I've ever seen. That first path to town is just GLOWING and it hurts my eyes.

Playing on PS4 Pro and echoing this. The frame rates are awful and the bloom even more so, I don't remember these issues in the first game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This was the thing putting me off and I... just never though or switching off the VO. 🤡

Reckon I'll now pick this up on Friday. In need of something bright and low stakes.

Yeah turning off the VO eliminates the constant screeching, whining and "fii fii"ing that occur every time you press a button or anyone speaks, and makes the game actually quite pleasant to play.