• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Ryza was my first game in this series. Really love an in-depth magic crafting/brewing system. And the relatively light, slice-of-life quests at the beginning of the game were exactly what I needed at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Daaaaamn it. I forgot about this T_T. I dont know if I want to start it with The Medium right around the corner and I'm still in the middle of Hitman 3. Arrrrggggg

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Looking forward to impressions and reviews, I own the first one but didn't ever launch it for some reason.

Do it, I'll do the same.
In fact I'm crazy enough that I'll start with Cold Steel 4 in the Legend of Heroes series

Oh boy, i'm going through it currently and yep you're crazy haha.

Starting from CS3 they're basically using plot points and characters from all the games in the series, it's wild. I feel like even people who started with cold steel 1 are missing soooo many references, worlduilding, plot points and characters. Story wise, It probably feels like starting Kingdom Hearts with KH3.

I wish you good luck.

That said, I would still very highly recommend to atleast start with CS3 if you want to skip the rest, you're going to miss a shitton of important stuff, CS4 is a direct sequel to CS3 and CS3 ends very abruptly, you're going to basically miss half of the story and won't know anyone or anything that happened / why any of this is happening etc.
CS3 is really a must play before CS4 imo, CS3 and 4 are basically one game cut in two. Also CS3 is the better game, and it looks exactly the same graphics wise, same gameplay, same protagonists, etc. Really no reason not to start with it imo, unless you're really insanely crazy, if that's the case, my bad, and good luck !

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The first Ryza was my first Atelier game. I'm definitely ready to jump back in with Ryza 2.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to impressions and reviews, I own the first one but didn't ever launch it for some reason.

Oh boy, i'm going through it currently and yep you're crazy haha.

Starting from CS3 they're basically using plot points and characters from all the games in the series, it's wild. I feel like even people who started with cold steel 1 are missing soooo many references, worlduilding, plot points and characters. Story wise, It probably feels like starting Kingdom Hearts with KH3.

I wish you good luck.

That said, I would still very highly recommend to atleast start with CS3 if you want to skip the rest, you're going to miss a shitton of important stuff, CS4 is a direct sequel to CS3 and CS3 ends very abruptly, you're going to basically miss half of the story and won't know anyone or anything that happened / why any of this is happening etc.
CS3 is really a must play before CS4 imo, CS3 and 4 are basically one game cut in two. Also CS3 is the better game, and it looks exactly the same graphics wise, same gameplay, same protagonists, etc. Really no reason not to start with it imo, unless you're really insanely crazy, if that's the case, my bad, and good luck !
lol, yeah too many games to play and not enough time. It took me 2 months to finish YS8 lol

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to play the first one but I haven't seen it go on sale. If I watched a recap or read up on it you think I'd be fine or should I play through the first?
I literally just beat it a few hours ago, I don't get the impression that you would really need to play the first game besides understanding the characters a bit more in context of each other. Nothing really happens, its more of a slice of life story.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just beat it a few hours ago, I don't get the impression that you would really need to play the first game besides understanding the characters a bit more in context of each other. Nothing really happens, its more of a slice of life story.

It feels like Season 2 of a slice of life anime, but there are a number of callbacks to events, people, and places that do have some more weight when you know what they are. That said, it's not like a second game in a Trails series so people should be generally fine starting with this one if they want.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of getting back into the Atelier games with Ryza, but when it was announced with real-time combat I held off. Will hold off on this one, as well.

Not sure why they get away from turn-based. But when (if) they go back to it, I will give it a try again.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played one of these before. Up for and RPG right now. Trying to decide on ps5 vs switch. Being able to play handheld would be a plus. My wife can watch crap on tv and I can play on my switch. Though I bet it would look real nice on ps5...

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Do you think this will review well? Tempted to grab it on pc since gmg has it for 45 dollars that ends soon.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really 60fps/4K?
It's 4K. It is absolutely not a solid 60 FPS. I was just coming into this thread to post that this is the first game to give me motion sickness due to the framerate bobbing all over the place in a very, very long time. I had to set the PS5 to 1080p to make it smooth. I really couldn't take it anymore.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's 4K. It is absolutely not a solid 60 FPS. I was just coming into this thread to post that this is the first game to give me motion sickness due to the framerate bobbing all over the place in a very, very long time. I had to set the PS5 to 1080p to make it smooth. I really couldn't take it anymore.

Yikes, not being a solid 60fps is a major bummer.

Might just have pulled me towards the Switch version with that. Glad I waited for more impressions to start rolling in.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Oof. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder why Gust didn't lower the resolution some to stabilize it — I was hoping for the days of bad performance to be behind us.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's a really huge shame that the frame rate is still just terrible. The other problem is that this game might be the most blown out bloom-filled game I've ever seen. That first path to town is just GLOWING and it hurts my eyes.

Nov 17, 2017
That's my big problem with non-English dubbed games. In Ryza 1, she would come across landmarks and make comments or mutter words to herself when doing alchemy. Since there aren't any subs, I don't even know what she's saying. These little things add a lot of nuance and depth to characters and it's unfortunate that aspects like these are overlooked.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a big example of this. The characters say stuff during battle but there's no way of knowing what they're saying unless you know Japanese. It was really annoying not knowing what Ryza says during alchemy sessions.

This kinda snuck up on me
Same. I'm gonna wait a bit to get this cause I'm not quite ready for a new video game right now lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Setting the PS5 to 1080p made the game buttery smooth. Yeah, the image is soft, but I feel instant relief. If anybody is having trouble, I highly recommend it.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Setting the PS5 to 1080p made the game buttery smooth. Yeah, the image is soft, but I feel instant relief. If anybody is having trouble, I highly recommend it.

I tried this and it changed nothing that I could tell. Exactly the same running through town. Maybe I have to reboot the game entirely idk

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on PC mess around with Ultrawide? Is the UI stretched? GMG keys got delayed to tomorrow!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If we're posting reviews, here's mine - I think it makes the argument that Gust deserves a longer dev time for whatever their next project ends up being; not because it's disappointing, but for the opposite reasoning. It's such an impressive follow-up within the time budget they had, I can't help but want to see what Gust could deliver if they had a full development cycle.

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy Review | RPG Site

Atelier Ryza 2 expands upon the first games formula in some smart ways, and improves upon nearly every aspect of its design.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
If we're posting reviews, here's mine - I think it makes the argument that Gust deserves a longer dev time for whatever their next project ends up being; not because it's disappointing, but for the opposite reasoning. It's such an impressive follow-up within the time budget they had, I can't help but want to see what Gust could deliver if they had a full development cycle.

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy Review | RPG Site

Atelier Ryza 2 expands upon the first games formula in some smart ways, and improves upon nearly every aspect of its design.
I think it's just their way of working. We are just used to delays by Square and Atlus.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What is the PS4 version at? If you're dropping the resolution of PS5 version down, might be better to just have the more powerful hardware on the PS4 version?

Review Thread

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy | Review Thread

Metacritic (PS4) (81) Metacritic (PS5) (78) Metacritic (Switch) (80) Metacritic (PC) (84) OpenCritic (81) Console Creatures (recommended): Digitally Downloaded (5/5): PSX Brasil (95/100, review in Portuguese): TheSixthAxis (9/10): RPG Site (9/10): RPG Fan (90/100): TheGamer...

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to grab this later today. I think I'm going for the Switch version even though I have a PS5 - I have the first game on Switch and I have a pile of Switch eshop bucks to burn. Unless impressions suggest the Switch version is running really poorly, which I haven't seen so far.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly annoying GMG fucked up the release again somehow(I think I remember it happened with the first one as well...?). Aren't sending keys till tomorrow.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does this support ultrawide on PC?

I'm really interested in this game but I don't know if I'll get it when it doesn't support UW.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
How is the performance in PC? I remember it was patched for the first one at it was.. kinda okish

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
How is the performance in PC? I remember it was patched for the first one at it was.. kinda okish

Performance has been great for me on pc with i7-6700k, 16gb ram, and a 1080ti. Only had a couple drops here and there in particularly foggy areas and some chaos in combat as I littered the place with more effects than the game knew what to do with, but even then it was a drop to maybe 40~45 for a few seconds.

Shizzlee

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to know how the PC version is before I pull the trigger. I'll be watching this thread for impressions.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I was actually really looking forward to this because I assumed it would have a dub unlike the first. Found out like 2 days ago it wouldn't. Fuckin lame.