• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
jEW0Py8.png

ehzvWIb.png

Voiv991.png

ABJy3EP.png

F6igv0c.png

After the secret adventure between Ryza and her friends, everyone went their own way. Over the past three years, Ryza has been a teacher to kids on the island in an effort to spread the wonders of alchemy to the world. Out of nowhere comes a letter from her old friend Tao, along with a request from Kurken Island's most influential family. With a task to discover the origins of a mysterious stone, the request of a longtime friend to study ancient mysteries, and a burning desire to experience adventure once more, Ryza makes her way to the capital where her life gets turned upside down. Strange ruins, familiar faces, and the call of alchemy bring the shake-up that Ryza had been longing for.
kAwukcU.png

WsGpRsb.png

eyzH5ep.png

CFzUh5L.png

2opgzu4.png

Ryza, Klaudia, Tao, and Lent make their return from the original game as their paths fatefully cross once more. While Empel and Lila from the first game do show up from time to time, they have their own goals and thus are not playable. Replacing them are three new members: Serri; an Oren like Lila; Patricia: a noble daughter; and Clifford: a lone treasure hunter. Fi serves as Ryza's mysterious friend and companion on her journeys who also helps to power up her abilities.

9Di0N76.png

APInPSW.png

Gameplay Features Trailer

Combat Highlight Trailer

LJGAgfi.png

mazi's Review Thread

JP
Famitsu - 8/8/8/9 (33/40)

Metacritic
PS5 - PS4 - PC - Switch

Opencritic

pZxMHic.png

Q. I've never played these games. What are they like?
A. Atelier games are typically slice-of-life crafting sims with very heavy RPG elements. Some entries lean more into the RPG side than others. Ryza breaks the traditional mold a bit with a stronger focus on adventure. Ryza 2 expands on the adventure elements by adding in more traversal options such as climbing, swimming, diving, and riding mounts. It also shores up the unfortunately weak alchemy options in combat present in the first game by tying adventure, battle, and crafting more closely together.

Q. Can I start with this one?
A. You can, though it's a direct sequel to the first game and takes place three years after.

Q. Are these all connected?
A. Not directly. Sub-series are tied together directly (e.g. Arland is all tied together, Dusk is all tied together) though there are references and cameos that span the entire series such as a ghost named Pamela, a blacksmith named Hagel, and so on. Think of these more like a "Cid" situation in Final Fantasy.

Q. Is there English VA?
A. Unfortunately not. Despite Ryza's stellar sales, dubbing doesn't seem to be in the cards for the series going forward.

Q. Does this game have a time limit?
There is no time limit, but there is a day/night cycle as well as a loose concept of time that needs to flow between character events.

Q. Is there DLC or MTX?
A. There is DLC which can also be purchased in a Season Pass. These have new events/stories for your characters as well as many new costumes. As usual, the price is pretty high. The DLC in the first game was fairly insubstantial for its price and generally considered not worth it, so unless you're a crazed superfan it might be best to hold off on any DLC purchases. Most of the DLC is cosmetic anyways.

Q. How do I tell all these Atelier games apart?
A. They're generally divided by sub-series. These sub-series often contain 2-3 games that are tied together but sub-series generally do not link to one another directly (e.g. Arland is not linked to Mysterious).

Below are all the games available in English.

Salburg consists Marie (1997), Elie (1998), and Lilie (2001).
There is a fan translation patch for the PS2 port of Marie + Elie (2005). There is no TL for Lilie at this time.

Iris consists of Atelier Iris 1 (2005), 2 (2006), and 3 (2007).

Mana consists of Mana Khemia 1 (2008) and Mana Khemia 2 (2009).

Arland consists of Rorona (2010), Totori (2011), Meruru (2012), and Lulua (2019).

Dusk consists of Ayesha (2013), Escha & Logy (2014), and Shallie (2015).

Mysterious consists of Sophie (2016), Firis (2017), and Lydie & Suelle (2018).

Annie (2009) is a spinoff for the Nintendo DS that is more akin to the original game, Atelier Marie.

Nelke (2019) is not a traditional Atelier game but a crossover celebration game focused on city management.

Ryza (2019) is the start of a new series/trilogy with no ties to previous entries.

Ryza 2 (2021) is the direct sequel to Ryza 1 and has the protagonist reprise her role as main character (a first in series history.)

ZkmxsFo.png

Join us in the community threads below!
Atelier Community Thread
Koei Tecmo Community Thread
RPG Community Thread

Previous Atelier OTs
Atelier Lydie & Suelle ~ Alchemists of the Mysterious Paintings ~
Atelier Arland DX ~ Rorona, Totori, and Meruru ~
Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists ~ Ateliers of the New World ~
Atelier Lulua ~ The Scion of Arland ~
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & The Secret Hideout
Atelier Dusk DX ~ Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie

KLCkKEd.png

These are just some tips I thought might be useful.
All of the information is covered in the game but it's usually just a brief page or two. Easy to forget about.

• Consider playing on Hard to get the most out of the battle system.
• Do as many of the requests in the cafe as you can.
This is a good source of skill points and money, and also increases your reputation.
• The gear you craft will almost always be better than anything you can buy or find.
The in-game guide is your best friend in this game.
You can find information about every single trait, effect, item, equipment, and more by consulting it.
Additionally, pressing Select (Menu/Touchpad??) you can view a list of related terms that will give you information.

Synthesis
• Rebuild! You can always rebuild items, however doing so will increase the Level of the item.
• You cannot rebuild an item higher than Ryza's current level.
e.g. You cannot make a level 54 item if Ryza is level 52.
• Keep in mind that a characters dexterity stat indicates what level of items they can use.
e.g. Patty has low dex so can only use low lvl items.
It's a good idea to create a great item first at lower level and then improve it later.

• The quality of the items, armor, and weapons you create is very important. Equipment quality goes a long way in boosting stats.
• Consult the in-game guide to make sure the traits you're looking at can actually be applied to the equipment you want.

Pressing Change Display (Square on PS, X on PC, Y on Switch) on the item you're building will show you the list of skills you have on that item, as well as what will be added.
XnOOoAo.png

You can also press Select (or the PS/Xbox equivalent) to view more info about traits prior to making items.

Effects and Traits Guide
NKAqbKH.png

Pay attention to the traits page. Don't make the mistake of trying to transfer a trait like Maiden's Prayer onto armor. A skill like Maiden's Prayer only works on items that buff the party.

hYpuI6W.png

Table of Contents
eT1MNH6.png

• You can unlock the ability to duplicate items later, but the higher the quality of the item and the more traits/effects it has, the more expensive it will be.
• Reducing items to gems unlocks around the same time. It's easy to stack up tons and tons of gems, but pay attention to what you're getting rid of. There may be a good trait on there that you'll want later.

• If you don't know how to make something that is part of a request, consider creating as many new recipes as possible.
• Recipes that can change into other recipies will have a Page icon on it, indicating that an item can be put into it to change the recipe completely.
TKeddUC.png

Gathering
• Upgrade your gathering tools as soon as you're able to. This will give you access to higher tiers and levels of materials.
giPXVaL.png

Mount Gathering
• Your mount can gather materials by digging when you ride it. This grants a large quantity and variety of materials you may not otherwise be able to gather.
• You can improve your mount whistle so that the creature gathers more items and at higher qualities.

Abn2XjG.png

If you don't know where to find something, consult the guide. It will have every single item you've discovered listed, along with how to gather it and where to find it.
It will not tell you what rank tools you need to gather said item, however. If you've checked everywhere, consider making sure your gathering tools are 2 or 3-star if possible.

lniFrbm.png

KyEN4ST.png

Battle
• Don't just stand around waiting for your turn. Actively defending grants +2 AP and reduces damage by quite a bit, so swap around and defend if someone is targeted.
• If you're focusing on using items, consider swapping to Aggressive Mode so the party can expend AP and level your Tactics Gauge.

Skill Chains
• Skills have chains that use less AP with each move and have additional effects.
e.g. Patty's Blade Dance
Blade Dance, Blade+, and Blade Dance++ are all a chain with different animations and effects.
You would want to do a string of Blade Dance -> Blade Dance+ -> Blade Dance++ instead of bouncing from Blade Dance to Quick Draw as the chain will reset if you use a different skill.

Blade Dance - 7AP Cost - Deals physical damage to a single target.
Blade Dance+ - 6AP Cost - Deals physical damage to a single target. High critical damage.
If [T-Lv.2+]: increases Stun Gauge damage.
Blade Dance++ - 5AP Cost - Deals physical damage to a single target. Short WT and high critical damage.
If [T-Lv.5]: deals additional physical damage on a critical hit.

2mJiGTZ.png

Core Drive
• Core Drive's are your friend and can dramatically change how you approach battle.
These are once-per-battle item 'limit breaks' that trigger with specific conditions. The game will tell you what you need and if you met them.

vY76z8w.png

• Some Core Drive's may trigger random status effects, others may do massive damage comprised of all elements, and others may be a saving grace.
e.g. Patty has low dexterity, low starting CC and a low CC cap. It takes her a while to build up CC as well.
I gave her two low level, low CC-cost items that do status effects so that she can trigger Dark-Plosion early in the fight and get back to dealing damage.
Alternatively, Ryza has the highest dexterity in the game, highest starting CC and highest cap. She'll be your main big item user.

SeZqJft.png

Core Crystal
Along the way, you'll be able to level up your Core Crystal and make changes to it. This will allow you to have a higher starting CC in battle and a higher CC cap as well. Additionally, you can set elements to the core crystal that will boost the damage of items of said element and grant more AP when using items and skills of that element.

cPJVZSd.png

Last edited:

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
After 25 hours of the game on Nintendo Switch, I have to say that it is awesome!! The game is even better than 1 and graphics are wonderful. No frame drops and resolution at 1080p! Great job by Gust. As for the game, there are some new features regarding the first one but I will let you discover by yourself.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this game since Saturday, but since the PS5 upgrade isn't available yet, it's just been sitting here... Don't care for this system at all.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've always been on the brink of buying an Atelier game, I'm gonna finally give it a go on Steam tonight.

They always seemed interesting, but looked like they may be too easy and simple on the RPG side. Though now I think I'm ready to just play a crafting sim so hopefully this can last at least until Ys 9 next week.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nice OT, looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

I've had this game since Saturday, but since the PS5 upgrade isn't available yet, it's just been sitting here... Don't care for this system at all.
Weird, I bought it digitally on PS5 yesterday and was able to pre-load it. You'd think they'd let you play it now if you already have it but I guess not.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
After 25 hours of the game on Nintendo Switch, I have to say that it is awesome!! The game is even better than 1 and graphics are wonderful. No frame drops and resolution at 1080p! Great job by Gust. As for the game, there are some new features regarding the first one but I will let you discover by yourself.

So performance is good on Switch?
I think that even 1 already was a looker for the console

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been on the brink of buying an Atelier game, I'm gonna finally give it a go on Steam tonight.

They always seemed interesting, but looked like they may be too easy and simple on the RPG side. Though now I think I'm ready to just play a crafting sim so hopefully this can last at least until Ys 9 next week.
If you're looking for more of a challenge, you can change difficulty at any time. However, Hard is not enough for series veterans. There are harder difficulties locked behind a game clear.

Ryza 2 took me about 54 hours, but a good chunk of that was me being a mad scientist trying to break my gear. 40~45 sounds reasonable for a first time through.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I pre order this but since I live outside the US I'll arrive until aprox February 13th.

Can I still get the free stuff that was mentioned in one of the trailers?

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty interested in this, and it seems like something my girlfriend could get into as well (she's a big fan of Animal Crossing and BOTW, tends to like games with exploration/crafting/etc.). My question is how fan-servicey it gets? If it's egregious enough to turn off your average player with minimal interest in anime, one that may not be as inured to or willing to look past those aspects of it? Thank you!

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder why embargo ends the same day as release? Game looks great.

Fairly common practice. Release date embargoes aren't really indicative of quality or faith in the product. A lot of companies just use early reviews to drum up the hype/marketing cycle (and those early reviews may have caveats or limitations.)

Pretty interested in this, and it seems like something my girlfriend could get into as well (she's a big fan of Animal Crossing and BOTW, tends to like games with exploration/crafting/etc.). My question is how fan-servicey it gets? If it's egregious enough to turn off your average player with minimal interest in anime, one that may not be as inured to or willing to look past those aspects of it? Thank you!
What you see on the cover/in trailers is what you get. There are some camera angles that are less than stellar when crawling through small areas and Ryza's outfit is probably the most 'fan servcicey' out of anyones. There are no perverted/sexual assault-happy characters in the game. If you're fine with what you've seen in the trailers, you probably won't have any issues, but everyone has their own levels of comfort when it comes to fan service.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
What you see on the cover/in trailers is what you get. There are some camera angles that are less than stellar when crawling through small areas and Ryza's outfit is probably the most 'fan servcicey' out of anyones. There are no perverted/sexual assault-happy characters in the game. If you're fine with what you've seen in the trailers, you probably won't have any issues, but everyone has their own levels of comfort when it comes to fan service.

Thank you! Seems pretty mild then, I think I'll pick up a copy.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and pre-ordered the Switch physical version, even though I havent finished the first one. Just seeing how limited the print run was for the first game, I wanted to make sure I got myself a copy just in case.

Btw, you can already read reviews for the game online, but they are for the Japanese release.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I played several hours of the first game before dropping it. Admittedly, a big part of it was the performance on Switch, but I also didn't like the battle system by that point and the early crafting seemed... overwhelming, I guess. The story seemed really slow so far, as well. I had just reached a mountainous/ruins kind of area, but I don't remember specifically. For those that have played the sequel already, do you think the changes/adjustments might make it more enjoyable for me?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I played several hours of the first game before dropping it. Admittedly, a big part of it was the performance on Switch, but I also didn't like the battle system by that point and the early crafting seemed... overwhelming, I guess. The story seemed really slow so far, as well. I had just reached a mountainous/ruins kind of area, but I don't remember specifically. For those that have played the sequel already, do you think the changes/adjustments might make it more enjoyable for me?

Hard to say. It depends on what you didn't like about the combat. Crafting in the sequel assumes you have a general idea of how the alchemy system from the first game works. For story, Atelier games are always a slow burn focused more on individual interactions with people rather than engaging with a high level plot with dramatic turns. This one does guide the player along more, but if you have no interest in Fi (the fairy thing) or any of Ryza's interactions with old friends, then you may not find much.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
As someone who kinda enjoyed the first Game i have a question.
Is this Sequel developing Characters in any way? Like are they growing? Do their Relationships change? Do they feel more mature?
Because if it's just a sequel without any meaningful progression to the cast then i will pass.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, here I am and still haven't finished first game. Do have it preordered for switch though. Nice to know it works well there.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who kinda enjoyed the first Game i have a question.
Is this Sequel developing Characters in any way? Like are they growing? Do their Relationships change? Do they feel more mature?
Because if it's just a sequel without any meaningful progression to the cast then i will pass.
There's growth and development between old characters and new bonds formed. One in particular doesn't go far enough and seems to be saved for Ryza 3. There is a lot of catching up between the Kurken Crew but the new faces have some notable growth as well.

You won't find anything as socially tense as Lent's father being human garbage but you do see how Lent has tried to deal with that the past three years.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I have all the games released on Switch so far, with Ryza 2 on the way in the mail.

I should play some of them some day.

DexterBear

Apr 24, 2018
I reviewed this game and even if can answer much of your questions, I will just tell you that this game is quite a step up from the first Ryza. Oh, and the climbing and rope are overrated.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've been wanting to play the first game, but I've barely seen it at a good price (Steam).

This 2nd game looks great, though.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I still need to finish the first. Been having a great time with it but too many games and life getting in the way.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I really need to beat Ryza - I'm about half through it right now.

The sequel looks great and I'm buying it as soon as I beat the first. My huge gripe is that after the sales of the first game we STILL aren't getting English voice acting. It added so much to prior games and I miss it.

Thanks for the OT :)
I was hoping this would get one.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I wanted to play the first one but I haven't seen it go on sale. If I watched a recap or read up on it you think I'd be fine or should I play through the first?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad "Ryza the Tomb Raider" stuck as the OT title.

Hoping this fixes some of the issues I had with Ryza. Though I will admit, some of this might also be on me: I practically never rebuilt items ("what, REBUILD? just build it right the first time, dummies") and would try to get to my desired item in one extremely long alchemy chain, and it feels like the game isn't really built to facilitate this. So maybe this time I'll try rebuilding more to get around the UX issues with the other method. Also, I really really really hope Fi isn't as annoying as Stia was in Lulua--not necessarily in terms of the character themselves but in how they became the sole focus of attention to the detriment of everyone and everything else.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for my copy to ship. I was a little iffy on Ryza's combat being ATB at first, but I ended up really liking it. Can't wait.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to beat Ryza - I'm about half through it right now.

The sequel looks great and I'm buying it as soon as I beat the first. My huge gripe is that after the sales of the first game we STILL aren't getting English voice acting. It added so much to prior games and I miss it.

Thanks for the OT :)
I was hoping this would get one.

That's my big problem with non-English dubbed games. In Ryza 1, she would come across landmarks and make comments or mutter words to herself when doing alchemy. Since there aren't any subs, I don't even know what she's saying. These little things add a lot of nuance and depth to characters and it's unfortunate that aspects like these are overlooked.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Still debating whether to get it on the Switch or PS5.

Ryza 1's Switch port was fantastic, and it seems Ryza 2 is 1080p with a solid 30fps, and since I played Ryza 1 on Switch I can carry over the original game's costumes since I have a save file.

But of course PS5 will be 4K at a solid 60fps with extra graphical effects plus much better load times. Trophy support is a bonus, as well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If this is a big improvement over the first one, I might just skip over and start with this since the first one hasn't really seen any huge sales & I don't know if I want to spend 25-30 hours on a weaker first game just to get to the good stuff.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Tempted to pick this up, and then extra tempted to do the PS5 version instead of the Switch version.

I played the first on Switch, primarily handheld, but knowing the game will look and run and load better on PS5 is tempting.

I think I just prefer to play most JRPGs handheld since so much of it is grinding for materials while listening/watching to another screen, so I may just end up getting Switch again, if/when I get this. Glad to hear performance is good on Switch, if nothing else.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Still debating whether to get it on the Switch or PS5.

Ryza 1's Switch port was fantastic, and it seems Ryza 2 is 1080p with a solid 30fps, and since I played Ryza 1 on Switch I can carry over the original game's costumes since I have a save file.

But of course PS5 will be 4K at a solid 60fps with extra graphical effects plus much better load times. Trophy support is a bonus, as well.
If it's anything like the original, the Switch version will probably become rare pretty quickly, if that's a deciding factor for you.

Personally I went with Switch, since that's the console I have the original on and wanted to keep it on the same system. Having it portable is another positive. I may grab the PS5 version later on though, if I ever see it on sale, for that 4K/60 FPS greatness.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
On the second dungeon: can anyone tell me how to
repair the bell? I had a tooltip pop up but never found a recipe or anything to take back and I can't find any important object to interact with. There's just a door that won't open.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
On the second dungeon: can anyone tell me how to
repair the bell? I had a tooltip pop up but never found a recipe or anything to take back and I can't find any important object to interact with. There's just a door that won't open.
You need to create a new ringer for the bell. Gather all the memory fragments in the area and solve the riddles in the exploration diary to figure out how the bell works and whats its for. You'll then get a recipe to create a new ringer.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fantastic thread title.

I dropped off the series at Lydie/Suelle but I'm interested in impressions for this one, so I'll stick around.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This games seem to always call me, but i never pulled the trigger.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
A friend loved these game and when he played the Tomb Raider reboot (2013) with young Lara, he always joked about how its a moe Lara and when he found a moe fan art of Lara looking like an Atelier character, he got himself a custom cover " Atelier Lara and the Princess of Yamatai " now this thread title closes the Atelier and Tomb Raider jokes we had for 7 years lol

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad "Ryza the Tomb Raider" stuck as the OT title.

Hoping this fixes some of the issues I had with Ryza. Though I will admit, some of this might also be on me: I practically never rebuilt items ("what, REBUILD? just build it right the first time, dummies") and would try to get to my desired item in one extremely long alchemy chain, and it feels like the game isn't really built to facilitate this. So maybe this time I'll try rebuilding more to get around the UX issues with the other method. Also, I really really really hope Fi isn't as annoying as Stia was in Lulua--not necessarily in terms of the character themselves but in how they became the sole focus of attention to the detriment of everyone and everything else.

Rebuilding and duplicating works wonders. You get it fairly early on in this one.

Fi is a huge part of the story and definitely Ryza's primary focus, but the rest of the party has other reasons to roam around the ruins (studying them, looking for treasure, searching for something, etc.)