• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, the combat gets Real fun as you get more party members. I haven't slotted Sue in the back ever, since Special Reload is so great, and her speed is astonishing, but when I do, it'll have to be for good reason.

other then filling out requirements, is there any actual benefit to getting the highest quality you can? I found the Well Made Distilled Water/ Zestel quality loop, and made some high quality ingredients, but other then job quality requirements, I haven't seen any benefit.
I've played 10 Atelier games, half of them to platinum, and while a couple of posters in threads have mentioned quality affecting damage... I still don't know/don't think it does. It might determine the stats of the gear Hegel makes for you in this one, but /shrug.

Also, glad to see someone new enjoying the series. Hope you continue to have fun!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I've played 10 Atelier games, half of them to platinum, and while a couple of posters in threads have mentioned quality affecting damage... I still don't know/don't think it does. It might determine the stats of the gear Hegel makes for you in this one, but /shrug.

Also, glad to see someone new enjoying the series. Hope you continue to have fun!

oh yeah, while I never picked up any of the originals or classics, I'm nevertheless an old hand at picking up various stuff and making cool stuff with it! I'm hoping I can maximize my equipment shenanigans after chap 6 when new stuff comes into Hegel's craft list.

I'm also digging the style and humor more then I thought I was going to. I was assuming it was going to be quaint, but I'm really into how goofy this game can be! Sue and her discription comments make my day!

I gotta tell you, though, I'm aching to get some top-level trait bullshit happening, ASAP.

what sort of traits have you or other people gone for that kicked shit into high gear?

I love that you can get Catalysts that increase Quantity, but I haven't yet gotten any consistently, just occasionally picking up those triple tauns.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
okay, this game is too rad to let the OT drift, so it's time for:

Atelier Insider, with Atelier Razorrin!

Once you get into the meat of Chapter 5, you'll be introduced to a powerful Alchemist, Alt, who's skill lies in utilizing his elemental strikes!

before that, you meet the Protagonist of Atelier Firis, who's taken up the bow, and many wide hitting attacks!

these two might be pretty useful apart, but take it from me, with support skills, they are the perfect duo!

Firis has many power support attacks, but most of them can only be triggered with an elemental attack, and used once a fight. since Alt's main abilities are all about using the elements, every fight you get in is an excuse for Firis to let loose with powerful, usually all hitting attacks!

Firis may have multiple conditional attacks, made more powerful in certain circumstances, but her best is a humble all hitting attack, the first she has. Why? not only can it dish some great hurt to all opponents, it also triggers Alts two main supports, dealing a bunch of additional single target damage, but more importantly, damage of a strictly magical nature, getting past physical resistance, and pushing the enemy towards a stun!

these two make a great pair, and if firis becomes spent in support skills, she can swap in and let Alt support her the rest of the way!

they work great, especially with regular battles, so use them to the fullest!

See you next time, on Atelier Insider, with Atelier Razorrin!

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Firis' support attacks are godlike. I was using her in battle but started pairing her with Suelle. The follow-up attacks she does on my elemental bombs basically kill anything.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Skipped the previous one. I like the design of the twin better.
I like the recurring appearance in these games. It's going to be interesting to revisit Sophie and Plachta.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if it affects the damage weapons do (especially in this game, where weapon alchemy seems to work differently), but it definitely makes a difference for bombs. I don't think it's as big a difference as, say, moving from Fire Damage M to Fire Damage L or whatever, but it's significant. I remember making ridiculous-quality Dimension Bombs in one of the Dusk games to defeat end-game bosses.

Weird thing I didn't expect to happen: this game makes me appreciate Firis a lot more than maybe I did the first go-around. Part of that is because I kind of miss how Firis tried to change up the formula, between the atelier that's always with you and the journey aspect of the game; I really think that with some tweaks and a little rethinking of how the game was paced, Firis would've been so much better. But a bigger part of it I think is that Firis is surprisingly lovely as a character. The franchise has struggled with bringing back its previous protagonists for as long as I've been playing them--Rorona turned into an idiot, and then literally a child; Ayesha just straight up disappeared; Escha was fine for one game and then ALSO got turned into a child. Totori at least showed a bit of character growth without becoming ridiculous. Logy and Sophie pretty much stayed the same. Firis is quirkier this time around--she eats meat all the time! she's a bit of a goofball! she's trying really hard to act mature!--but she's still the character we knew from the last game, just a little more grown up and a little more worldly. She actually has an arc: she earned her freedom from her hometown and now she's making the most of it. She's easily my favourite returning character, even taking into account how stupidly sister-crazy Liane has become in the same time period.

Oh, one other thing: I still miss the English VA, but I realized that one benefit of losing it is I never have to hear "at-lee-urr" ever again.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it affects the damage weapons do (especially in this game, where weapon alchemy seems to work differently), but it definitely makes a difference for bombs. I don't think it's as big a difference as, say, moving from Fire Damage M to Fire Damage L or whatever, but it's significant. I remember making ridiculous-quality Dimension Bombs in one of the Dusk games to defeat end-game bosses.

Weird thing I didn't expect to happen: this game makes me appreciate Firis a lot more than maybe I did the first go-around. Part of that is because I kind of miss how Firis tried to change up the formula, between the atelier that's always with you and the journey aspect of the game; I really think that with some tweaks and a little rethinking of how the game was paced, Firis would've been so much better. But a bigger part of it I think is that Firis is surprisingly lovely as a character. The franchise has struggled with bringing back its previous protagonists for as long as I've been playing them--Rorona turned into an idiot, and then literally a child; Ayesha just straight up disappeared; Escha was fine for one game and then ALSO got turned into a child. Totori at least showed a bit of character growth without becoming ridiculous. Logy and Sophie pretty much stayed the same. Firis is quirkier this time around--she eats meat all the time! she's a bit of a goofball! she's trying really hard to act mature!--but she's still the character we knew from the last game, just a little more grown up and a little more worldly. She actually has an arc: she earned her freedom from her hometown and now she's making the most of it. She's easily my favourite returning character, even taking into account how stupidly sister-crazy Liane has become in the same time period.

Oh, one other thing: I still miss the English VA, but I realized that one benefit of losing it is I never have to hear "at-lee-urr" ever again.
While I much prefer this game overall, it kinda made me appreciate the amount of effort they poured into Firis too. Like, there are soooooo many unique, new alchemist characters in that game that unfortunately don't pop back up in this one. The cast here is still lovely (AND HAGEL IS BACK - holy shit do I love Hagel!), but it's relatively small overall.

I don't think they'll have that problem going into the 20th game this year, since I half expect it to be a crossover title stuffed with past characters.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Atelier Insider Sidebar- Makin' Munny!

so, you've just gotten past chapter 6, and you're tired of having to run around doing stuff for people to make cash. what is one to do? two things.

1. turn difficulty up. mechanical difficulty won't be that out of line if you've been staying prepared, and you get improved rewards for doing so!

2. make lucky coins. Not only do these Ornaments raise your chance of luck-based effects going off at the highest level, which is broke AF if you use items with the best crit trait, which gives INSTANT DEATH AT A SUPRISINGLY GREAT SUCCESS RATE, but be careful and stay within certain alchemical margins, and you can Multiply the gold you take home from regular fights!

I don't know if Lucky Coins stack with different users, but honestly, the benefit of using them is already worth trying to stack it anyway.

edit: they DO stack, and sidebar sidebar, pretty much everything stacks! sure, you can't put the EXACT same trait in the same thing, but even having 2 of the same trait on two different things will stack, so go for it! I reccomend high level flat stat boosts with percentage stat boosts, former for Equipment Level, Latter for pure Immense bonuses!

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
How's the Switch performance compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, undocked?

it stutters a bit undocked, but nothing major, I feel. if that sucks, it works just fine in docked, but I've played a majority of it undocked, and it was fine!

I'll tell you, the things I hear about Alt's damage potential at high Equipment Level makes me curious! I'm going to get him some super equipment sometime soon.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How's the Switch performance compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, undocked?

Plays fine, to be honest. It will stutter in occasional load areas where it throws up a bunch of stuff on screen but its otherwise fine.

Game's a tad blurry because, for whatever reason, I don't think the west has gotten the performance patch for the Switch. /shrug

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Firis' support attacks are godlike. I was using her in battle but started pairing her with Suelle. The follow-up attacks she does on my elemental bombs basically kill anything.

Firis murders almost everything by herself as a support. I'm at a point where if I stun the enemy and have Sue has a backup, she too does insane amounts of damage as a support (as she gets 4 follow-up attacks in a row).

Oct 28, 2017

Liane is such a trash character in this game. Not only is she the only character who they didn't bother to redesign at all her entire existence is to fulfill like ONE joke that was more creepy then funny. Pretty much every character in every atelier game EVER had at least some basic character motivation, usually some kind of nebulous dream or goal it's like the standard storytelling method of the franchise. Liane has nothing, she's just there for stalking and siscon jokes and nothing else.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I swear to god, I will NEVER, EVER get tired of Testament Oath. it's one of the coolest looking attacks I've ever seen, it Guarantees a stun, making it perfect for transitioning into powerful support attacks to mop up, and it can do such ridiculous damage!

anybody have any tips on maximizing it's usefulness? I'm already giving Mathias all the speed, attack and all around percentage stat boosts he can handle! also, I love that the first armor everyone can equip can be buffed to get more attack then most weapons can!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to god, I will NEVER, EVER get tired of Testament Oath. it's one of the coolest looking attacks I've ever seen, it Guarantees a stun, making it perfect for transitioning into powerful support attacks to mop up, and it can do such ridiculous damage!

anybody have any tips on maximizing it's usefulness? I'm already giving Mathias all the speed, attack and all around percentage stat boosts he can handle! also, I love that the first armor everyone can equip can be buffed to get more attack then most weapons can!

I have no advice for you here, mostly because I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet.

I feel like just a few days ago you were asking us questions about the best way to play, and now you're talking about skills I haven't even seen yet and happily stacking traits on all your gear like a pro. Clearly the game agrees with you!

Random aside: I need these Lydie and Suelle characters for Everybody's Golf like now.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I have no advice for you here, mostly because I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet.

I feel like just a few days ago you were asking us questions about the best way to play, and now you're talking about skills I haven't even seen yet and happily stacking traits on all your gear like a pro. Clearly the game agrees with you!

Random aside: I need these Lydie and Suelle characters for Everybody's Golf like now.

oh, that's great! I'm looking forward to it!

I've hit the game pretty hard lately, so I've ended up answering questions I had! I'll try to drop tips as I reply, and I hope other people will like to share too!

basically, the last attack Mathias get's is a doozy, a bit dangerous, but very worth the danger!

also, let me throw this out there, SAVE OFTEN!

at least on switch, the game isn't completely crash-proof, and you don't want to lose a bunch of progress because you haven't saved in an hour!

I'll say, though, that often enough, you can make back the time knowing what you want to achieve, but it just sucks to get a bunch of awesome alchemy done and get a crash error after a total of four hours work. :(

here's a fun tip, by the way! it's more effective to put all stat enhance or boosts on equipment instead of equipment level ones, because you'll get all stats raised, including Equipment Level! when you get your fifth party member, you'll want to pump 'em full of EL, they make the most of it!

Oct 28, 2017
oh, that's great! I'm looking forward to it!

I've hit the game pretty hard lately, so I've ended up answering questions I had! I'll try to drop tips as I reply, and I hope other people will like to share too!

basically, the last attack Mathias get's is a doozy, a bit dangerous, but very worth the danger!

also, let me throw this out there, SAVE OFTEN!

at least on switch, the game isn't completely crash-proof, and you don't want to lose a bunch of progress because you haven't saved in an hour!

I'll say, though, that often enough, you can make back the time knowing what you want to achieve, but it just sucks to get a bunch of awesome alchemy done and get a crash error after a total of four hours work. :(

here's a fun tip, by the way! it's more effective to put all stat enhance or boosts on equipment instead of equipment level ones, because you'll get all stats raised, including Equipment Level! when you get your fifth party member, you'll want to pump 'em full of EL, they make the most of it!

I think he's the only one who makes use of EL it seems like it just does nothing for other characters.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season pass is out today. Another KT season pass that costs more than the game.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What does it even contain to be that price, lmao?
Secret Synthesis Research Journal
Adventurers' Tales
New Area Lotus Blossom Pond
Nights of Azure 2 Tribute Area Nightless Ruined City
Nights of Azure 2 BGM Pack
New Quest Loads of Exp Quest
New Quest Piles of Coll Quest
Playable Character Lucia
New Area Ventus Mines
BLUE REFLECTION Tribute Area Blue Sentiment Land
BLUE REFLECTION BGM Pack
Battle Mix Secret Teachings
Playable Character Ilmeria
New Area Claudel Prairie
New Outfit for Lydie, Suelle, Firis, Sophie, Ilmeria and Lucia

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Synthesis Research Journal
Adventurers' Tales
New Area Lotus Blossom Pond
Nights of Azure 2 Tribute Area Nightless Ruined City
Nights of Azure 2 BGM Pack
New Quest Loads of Exp Quest
New Quest Piles of Coll Quest
Playable Character Lucia
New Area Ventus Mines
BLUE REFLECTION Tribute Area Blue Sentiment Land
BLUE REFLECTION BGM Pack
Battle Mix Secret Teachings
Playable Character Ilmeria
New Area Claudel Prairie
New Outfit for Lydie, Suelle, Firis, Sophie, Ilmeria and Lucia
I mean there's some potentially interesting things there, but, 80 dollars? Yeesh, no thanks.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
has anybody got any info on the new skills with the level cap rising? it was said that new skills would be avalible, and I'm hungry to know what they are!

also, side tip, add attack traits, like def down or extra damage, all the ones with a chance of doing something don't seem to work for me on support characters.

like, if lydie and sue were paired, if lydie attacked and sue supported, they both have pain attack trait on weapons, lydia would trigger it fairly consistently on her attacks, while it'll never go off on sue's support followups.

Barrage, (always do 14-20% extra damage on top of regular damage) and I assume anything strictly guaranteed, does activate on support, though, so watch for those!

you can mix and match core and sub parts for weapons as you like, won't lose them, just keep in mind in case you're doing some big alchemy and don't want to waste your time making stuff that won't work.

envision the perfect traits for a weapon first, then focus on buffing up the core/sub part's natural benefits, since those will always be in effect!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
FINALLY. IT HAPPENED.

Pamela's back to haunting people!

I was as shocked as Sue to find out she was a ghost, since I haven't played the other games, and I lost my shit at all the shenanigans she got up to around that time, what with freaking out sue to the point of her repressing the fact that she's a ghost, and the combo with hagel later!

Basically, this game is full of charm, and ridiculous shenanigans, and I love it so much. as stated with the previous person, Pamela gets up to some fun stuff, and if this is the first time you've seen her, you'll be as shocked as I was!

also, I just found out that you can stuff materials into your item list, so if you're ramping up to use a particular battle mix, you can prepare for it!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Aha yeah, Pamela has a ton of great gags in this. Her interactions with Suelle had me grinning a ton.

Her moments with Hagel are gold too.

It's a big change from the previous Mysterious games, where it seemed like Pamela had all the personality sucked out of her. Though it turns out I might have missed a crucial scene in Firis that would contradict that impression...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's a big change from the previous Mysterious games, where it seemed like Pamela had all the personality sucked out of her. Though it turns out I might have missed a crucial scene in Firis that would contradict that impression...
I definitely agree that she was wasted in Firis, but I still really enjoyed her in Sophie!

Probably my biggest disappointment with this game is that they didn't bring back more Sophie characters (like Harol, Julio, Leon and Tess). The Arland trilogy really spoiled us in that regard.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
80 bones is far too much...

Though I'll grab Lucia and Illmeria and perhaps the Blue Reflection stuff since that is one of my favorite OSTs ever.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just checking in has there been any update on the Switch U.S. version getting the image enhancement patch?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So quick question. I let my kids watch me play Xenoblade 2 no probs, would anyone who's played that think this would be okay too? I am intrigued at the moment and want to line up some future games

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
So quick question. I let my kids watch me play Xenoblade 2 no probs, would anyone who's played that think this would be okay too? I am intrigued at the moment and want to line up some future games
This is absolutely a family friendly game. It is a positive story of two girls trying to become the best atelier. No fan service or violence, characters are positive, feel good story makes it a perfect fit imo.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

As the above poster said, this is a very 'cozy' anime. There's one egregiously dressed character but beyond that its two twins doing cute things in a cute world.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Here's another Atelier Tip!

paper and water is your gateway to mixing and multiplying your best and favorite traits! it's also possible to create a max quality item to use to buff up the quality of your other items too! and when you get to chapter 7 or 8, there's two new locations with tough foes that drop materials with really good traits, one of them drops them in droves as wood, and you use wood as the fuel in making water to transfer and multiply the trait!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely a family friendly game. It is a positive story of two girls trying to become the best atelier. No fan service or violence, characters are positive, feel good story makes it a perfect fit imo.

As the above poster said, this is a very 'cozy' anime. There's one egregiously dressed character but beyond that its two twins doing cute things in a cute world.

Thanks. I haven't played an Atelier game since the first Iris so you could say I am out of touch with the series.

We were fairly okay with them watching XC2 and our older son was interested in the story, so this, so far, sounds like it'll fit that same bill.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Okay, i've got a really fun way of drumming up interest and retention for this game: Alchemy Puzzles!

so you know how tricky it can be to put together a spread of ingredients well enough to get the results you want?

what if, the next time you do, take a screenshot, go back to before you placed any of your components, and take another screenshot, then post the "before" screenshot and challenge people to get to your solution! if they get it, you can reply to them with your "after."

what do you guys think?

also, holy crap, a full entourage of Lucky Coins and One Hit Kill bombs really destroys random encounters and sets you up with a ton of cash, dang!

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, i've got a really fun way of drumming up interest and retention for this game: Alchemy Puzzles!

so you know how tricky it can be to put together a spread of ingredients well enough to get the results you want?

what if, the next time you do, take a screenshot, go back to before you placed any of your components, and take another screenshot, then post the "before" screenshot and challenge people to get to your solution! if they get it, you can reply to them with your "after."

what do you guys think?

also, holy crap, a full entourage of Lucky Coins and One Hit Kill bombs really destroys random encounters and sets you up with a ton of cash, dang!

I doubt that'd really help people, lol. This is like the chest puzzles in the newspaper, most would just ignore it.