• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder if Sega would do something similar with that same exact collection of Genesis games they've been selling over and over on every platform. Probably not likely Nintendo comes back to them after they didn't with the Wii U VC, so it'd be up to Sega themselves to bring it over from Steam, stupid 3D interface and all.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeeeah, these games kinda suck today. Fun for 10 minutes, then purchase regret time.

I dunno, having Asteroids, Missle Command, Galaga and River Raid on the go for fits and spurts or a quick session before bed sounds perfect.

Atari was before my time so my nostalgia purchases usually start at the NES but I feel a good number of those games are pretty timeless. So easy access for a few rounds is worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
My earliest experience with these games was on the Atari 400, where the games were much closer to the arcade versions. Just have no interest in playing 2600 games.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Basically, it would be a new version of this, and I would be all for it. Hell, put it on the Switch.

214087-midway-arcade-treasures-3-xbox-front-cover.png

This includes Off Road Thunder, Badlands, Race Drivin', SF Rush The Rock - Alcatraz Edition, Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, Super Off Road and S.T.U.N Runner.

I believe other racing games like RoadBlasters was released on MAT 1 or 2 (I forget which).

Though, this collection didn't include arcade ports of Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049, instead they were ports of the Dreamcast versions. Which were better than the arcade ports, TBH.

But, I would also like to see a new version of this with proper arcade emulated ports.

gJ4PS76.png

I put stupid amounts of time into 1 and 2. Never picked up 3, but damn I had soooo much fun in those.
giphy.gif

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Basically, it would be a new version of this, and I would be all for it. Hell, put it on the Switch.

This includes Off Road Thunder, Badlands, Race Drivin', SF Rush The Rock - Alcatraz Edition, Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, Super Off Road and S.T.U.N Runner.

I believe other racing games like RoadBlasters was released on MAT 1 or 2 (I forget which).

Though, this collection didn't include arcade ports of Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049, instead they were ports of the Dreamcast versions. Which were better than the arcade ports, TBH.

But, I would also like to see a new version of this with proper arcade emulated ports.
I just learned a week or so ago that Rush the Rock and Rush 2049 SE are emulated perfectly through MAME. I'd kill for official ports with online multiplayer.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Both volumes, 100 games, for a decent price and I might bite. Seperately at $30 each or something crazy? Nah.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This is the future of playing old games on modern day plattaforms. No more virtual console. No more release under one service only. Each company company will make their own way to sell classic games. Welcome to the future.
Nintendo hasn't mandated emulation fall under VC since the Wii.

3DS, Wii U and now Switch are all like this, everyone does their own thing. Hamster already sold a million Arcade Archives on Switch at $8 a pop.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Not impossible, fortunately. Warner Bros has the rights to all of Midway's stuff now. Re-releasing them in two different formats.
media_7170.jpg

In standard collection form.
71235.jpg

and LEGO(!) form, playable through LEGO Dimensions using that "level pack".

They haven't re-released the more recent stuff like Hydro Thunder and San Francisco Rush yet, though.

This makes me wonder if Sega would do something similar with that same exact collection of Genesis games they've been selling over and over on every platform. Probably not likely Nintendo comes back to them after they didn't with the Wii U VC, so it'd be up to Sega themselves to bring it over from Steam, stupid 3D interface and all.
Sega_Forever.png

Already been done on mobile devices, though the emulation is pretty average. The actual ports (such as the Sonic 1 + 2 + CD Taxman versions.) are incredible and free.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No to Sega Forever please. I want Sega CS3 & M2 to bring back Sega Ages 2500 Complete Collections instead.

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
This remembers me the void in my Switch's library not having none of the Jeff Minter's contemporary masterpieces.

But I will jump into the Vol 2 of the collection to get these nice 'Tempest' games. They are not 'Tempest 2000', 'TxK', 'Space Giraffe' or the cursed 'Polybius'.

But it's better than nothing.

Does the original Tempest (arcade, 1981) play well without its spinner controller? I remember playing it with a mouse 15 years ago or so (Atari Greatest Hits volume 1 on PC) and it was ok but not ideal.

TemepstCabaret-controlpanel.jpg

Nice Scott Walker-related avatar, by the way.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
When's that the Atari console coming out? The one that plays a bazillion games? Did we forget about that?

Also, I really would never want to be that guy-I mean, I play retro games all the time and just bought a tv based solely on its 240p support- but most games pre-Nintendo are just not interesting.
Hell, most games pre-Super Mario Bros.
Not all, but many. Especially home console games. I hope they're at least the good arcade games.

This is the future of playing old games on modern day plattaforms. No more virtual console. No more release under one service only. Each company company will make their own way to sell classic games. Welcome to the future.

But these things have been happening for decades. Welcome to the past?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Have thought about getting this collection for PS4, but having them Switch seems more tempting now.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Not impossible, fortunately. Warner Bros has the rights to all of Midway's stuff now. Re-releasing them in two different formats.
media_7170.jpg

In standard collection form.
71235.jpg

and LEGO(!) form, playable through LEGO Dimensions using that "level pack".

They haven't re-released the more recent stuff like Hydro Thunder and San Francisco Rush yet, though.

I didn't notice that WB released that collection. Not surprising that it was done by Backbone. But it looks like a decent mix of 8 and 16bit arcade games.

But I would like to see a collection of Atari/ Midway Arcade games from the mid to late '90s. Like the 3DFX based stuff on the Atari Flagstaff, Midway Quicksilver II, Seattle, Vegas and Denver arcade boards. And of course some of the earlier Midway and Atari 3D arcade games.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought this last night (ÂŁ34.99 digital), and so far so good. I wish there were more screen mode options but it seems pretty great, and I was impressed to see touchscreen controls for several of the games. It's really fast to jump into the menu and swap to different games, but there are no save games or favourites list. The responsive controls and fast menu are the opposite of the Sega Mega Drive collection.

I really enjoyed Gravitar this morning! I hadn't even heard of it before. First I played the 2600 version then I swapped to the lovely Vector arcade version. Reading the manual helped a lot, because the game can seem pretty difficult to interpret. I really believe reading the manuals adds a lot to these games as they're often so abstract!! I'm so mad that the manuals provided are such low resolution scans (example here). Are they bad on the other systems too? :( I want to read the manuals and give the games a better chance.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this last night (ÂŁ34.99 digital), and so far so good. I wish there were more screen mode options but it seems pretty great, and I was impressed to see touchscreen controls for several of the games. It's really fast to jump into the menu and swap to different games, but there are no save games or favourites list. The responsive controls and fast menu are the opposite of the Sega Mega Drive collection.

I really enjoyed Gravitar this morning! I hadn't even heard of it before. First I played the 2600 version then I swapped to the lovely Vector arcade version. Reading the manual helped a lot, because the game can seem pretty difficult to interpret. I really believe reading the manuals adds a lot to these games as they're often so abstract!! I'm so mad that the manuals provided are such low resolution scans (example here). Are they bad on the other systems too? :( I want to read the manuals and give the games a better chance.

I purchased it digitally as well. It seems to be all the previous volumes in one collection. It has 2600, Arcade, 5200 and some 7800 games. I love 5200 Star Raiders. Wish they could have put the Bounty Bob games in it though.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I really enjoyed Gravitar this morning! I hadn't even heard of it before. First I played the 2600 version then I swapped to the lovely Vector arcade version. Reading the manual helped a lot, because the game can seem pretty difficult to interpret.

Gravitar is a difficult game, even when you do know what you're supposed to do. Even though it's not one of Atari's most recognizable games, it's still a true classic. The game is full of tense situations that can turn up the heat at a moment's notice...but that makes it all the more satisfying when you pull off a slick maneuver with the precision of a surgeon, narrowly avoid danger, and then make a successful escape off the planet.

I really believe reading the manuals adds a lot to these games as they're often so abstract!! I'm so mad that the manuals provided are such low resolution scans (example here). Are they bad on the other systems too? :( I want to read the manuals and give the games a better chance.

Yeah, it's that way on PS4 and Vita, too. It would have been nice if they had higher resolution scans and/or converted them to text.

AtariAge has a healthy amount of the game manuals, many of which are also available in HTML format.

Only Atari. There's not even any of the licensed games like Pac Man and Space Invaders.

There are a few M Network games on the Switch and Vita versions, and on Volume 3 on PS4 and Xbox One.

M Network was Mattel's brand for their line of Atari 2600 games, most of which were adapted from Intellivision games. Mattel also made the Intellivision system; from 1982-1984 almost all the major home video game hardware manufacturers (Atari, Mattel, Coleco, Philips) also made games for one or more competing systems. The recently formed Intellivision Entertainment (Tommy Tallarico's new company) now owns the rights to the M Network games.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Gravitar is a difficult game, even when you do know what you're supposed to do. Even though it's not one of Atari's most recognizable games, it's still a true classic. The game is full of tense situations that can turn up the heat at a moment's notice...but that makes it all the more satisfying when you pull off a slick maneuver with the precision of a surgeon, narrowly avoid danger, and then make a successful escape off the planet.

Yeah, it's that way on PS4 and Vita, too. It would have been nice if they had higher resolution scans and/or converted them to text.

AtariAge has a healthy amount of the game manuals, many of which are also available in HTML format.

There are a few M Network games on the Switch and Vita versions, and on Volume 3 on PS4 and Xbox One.

M Network was Mattel's brand for their line of Atari 2600 games, most of which were adapted from Intellivision games. Mattel also made the Intellivision system; from 1982-1984 almost all the major home video game hardware manufacturers (Atari, Mattel, Coleco, Philips) also made games for one or more competing systems. The recently formed Intellivision Entertainment (Tommy Tallarico's new company) now owns the rights to the M Network games.

Yeah, I remember M network. I grew up in the Atari era rather than Nintendo. And Atari had it's own brand for publishing games for other platforms called Atarisoft. They published games for other consoles and home computers. :They actually held the home computer publishing license for Donkey Kong. And they published versions for IBM, Commodore and Apple. And funnily enough, Coleco got into a whole lot of trouble when they tried to release DK for their ADAM add-on for Colecovision. ADAM was classified as a home computer and Coleco only held the console publishing rights.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, I remember M network. I grew up in the Atari era rather than Nintendo. And Atari had it's own brand for publishing games for other platforms called Atarisoft. They published games for other consoles and home computers. :They actually held the home computer publishing license for Donkey Kong. And they published versions for IBM, Commodore and Apple. And funnily enough, Coleco got into a whole lot of trouble when they tried to release DK for their ADAM add-on for Colecovision. ADAM was classified as a home computer and Coleco only held the console publishing rights.

That's true. This incident caused friction between Atari and Nintendo, who up to that point seemingly had a good relationship. Atari was negotiating with Nintendo to team up and produce an Atari-branded version of the Famicom for the North American market (and I think Europe, too). The Adam Donkey Kong situation is cited as a catalyst for Atari to break off the deal, thus forcing Nintendo to release the system on their own. This turned out to be a good thing for Nintendo in the end, since Atari itself was in a rather chaotic state.

A few years later, after Coleco exited the video game market, Atari acquired the rights to a few of Coleco's old 2600 games. These included Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., which they republished in Atari packaging. They also produced new versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. for the 7800, and new versions of Mario Bros. for both the 7800 and the XE Game System. This all happened after the release of the NES. They were among the very few games based on Nintendo IP that were released on non-Nintendo game consoles after Nintendo entered the US home video game market (with the CD-i Mario/Zelda games being others).

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
That's true. This incident caused friction between Atari and Nintendo, who up to that point seemingly had a good relationship. Atari was negotiating with Nintendo to team up and produce an Atari-branded version of the Famicom for the North American market (and I think Europe, too). The Adam Donkey Kong situation is cited as a catalyst for Atari to break off the deal, thus forcing Nintendo to release the system on their own. This turned out to be a good thing for Nintendo in the end, since Atari itself was in a rather chaotic state.

A few years later, after Coleco exited the video game market, Atari acquired the rights to a few of Coleco's old 2600 games. These included Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., which they republished in Atari packaging. They also produced new versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. for the 7800, and new versions of Mario Bros. for both the 7800 and the XE Game System. This all happened after the release of the NES. They were among the very few games based on Nintendo IP that were released on non-Nintendo game consoles after Nintendo entered the US home video game market (with the CD-i Mario/Zelda games being others).

DK on the 2600 was god awful, with only two bad looking levels. Fortunately, I had an Atari 800XL home computer as well, which had one of, if not THE best home versions of DK and DK Jr. I had seen back in the day. Complete with every level.

You sure there's anything 7800? I was kind of hoping to see that but didn't notice any, but I could just be skimming poorly with so many games listed.

Maybe I was wrong. I was just looking at the game list online here: https://www.atari.com/games/atari-flashback-classics-switch/ and there's no 7800 games listed. I could have sworn I saw some when scrolling the list on my actual game though. I'll have to look again, lol.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
DK on the 2600 was god awful, with only two bad looking levels. Fortunately, I had an Atari 800XL home computer as well, which had one of, if not THE best home versions of DK and DK Jr. I had seen back in the day. Complete with every level.

I myself have never played the Atari 8-bit computer version of DK, but have heard many good things about it. Atari made a version for the Commodore 64, which was quite good.

Maybe I was wrong. I was just looking at the game list online here: https://www.atari.com/games/atari-flashback-classics-switch/ and there's no 7800 games listed. I could have sworn I saw some when scrolling the list on my actual game though. I'll have to look again, lol.

No, there are no 7800 games on here.

I am still of the theory that Coleco intentionally kneecapped the Atari 2600 and Mattel Intellivision ports of Donkey Kong to make the ColecoVision version look better by comparison.

I used to think the same thing, but really, I don't know. Garry Kitchen programmed the 2600 version early in his career, before working with Activision and Absolute Entertainment. I read an interview with him that mentioned the Donkey Kong port, and he said that he was trying to put in some real effort.

For what it's worth, Tod Frye made similar claims about his work on 2600 Pac-Man. Both Pac-Man and Donkey Kong were 4 KB games, when they should have been given at least 8 KB.

I feel DK on the 2600 certainly could've been better, even by 1982 standards. But even on its best day, it still wouldn't have been able to touch the ColecoVision (which was next-generation hardware at the time, 5 years newer). So I don't think Coleco needed to deliberately sabotage the port. I'll just say that it's unlikely that Coleco would go out of their way to have their programmers dedicate their best efforts for any of their Atari 2600 and Intellivision games.

On the other hand, some of the Atarisoft releases (for non-Atari platforms) were legit. At least they were on the C64, where the quality often rivaled their counterparts on the Atari 8-bit computers and 5200.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The 8-bit Atari Computer version of Donkey Kong was definitely solid -- I played the crud out of it in my youth. One of the best arcade conversions for that system, probably second only to the Defender port (I destroyed my space bar with that game).

And I think the Atari VCS version of Pac-Man was the victim of a rushed development schedule more than anything else. But then game development in those days was insane, and management would set deadlines without any input from the developer.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My frustration with the terrible manual scans continues, not just the scan quality but also the way you can't easily swap between the manual and the game. Many of these games are IMO unplayable without the manual. Case in point, Haunted House. This has an illegible blurry scan in the collection, but reading it shows that it's crucial to know that you're moving between floors in a house with invisible stairs.

Thankfully I found a scan on Archive.org. It's just so frustrating that Atari doesn't even bother to maintain a list of links or PDFs of these scans. https://archive.org/details/Haunted_House_1981_Atari/page/n1

Last edited: