• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
When inevitably games are indistinguishable from real life, and I transcend to the next level in this lifetime.

And on the other side I'll play what comes next.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I'll ever quit altogether. I'll probably end up like my friends dad who only plays Diablo every now and again.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I thought I'd be a lifelong gamer until the day I died, but at 40 my interest in games has waned dramatically. I'm not ready to give them up entirely, but that might happen within the next 10 years.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i game now more than ive ever had thanks to the rise and saturation of independent developers

sure i'll still play sommit like death stranding or whathaveyou, but inbetween those larger games i have nothing but time and a butt load of smaller games to play

this year, more than any other year, my top ten games list will likely be packed with indies

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'll probably lose interest in games more and more as I get as I get more responsibilities in my life. Just won't have as much time and other things will take priority over video games.

I do think I'll always be playing in some capacity though and it'll remain a fun hobby for me. Just not nearly to the degree as it is now.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I am literally drowning in good single player games with no substantial DLC elements that I don't have time to play. OP should play more games.

Stuff on my to do list: Start Link's Awakening, finish Judgement, get back into Monhun Iceborne, start Astral Chain, start Hashihime, start DQXI finish the second Code Realize fandisc, start Demon x Machina, finish Persona Q, start Atelier Ryza, finish the two routes in Fire Emblen Three Houses I haven't touched yet despite logging over 130 hours in the game already, or try out one of several games I have lying around from the past two years I haven't had time to play.

EDIT: Heck, Death Stranding comes out in like a week.

May 10, 2019
AlienatedImprobableFawn-max-1mb.gif

Even if/when the moment comes, I will still probably still be going through my backlog or replay all my favorites. My concern will be if said system dies and I have no backup system.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Part of me just wants to give it up now, I play so little it would be easy just to cut it off now. Might pass on next gen stuff and slowly petter out on the switch as I grow old...

But I always have my Sega Saturn ;)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Streaming only or service only. I like them as compliments but never as my only option. Its more likely that I stop buying and playing new games then stop gaming though. I already own enough games that i could I never buy one again and be fine for the rest of my life I'd play those i missed and replay my favs.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
The same day I give up any other artistic medium.

Probably never, even if I go blind.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I can always play the excellent DRM free & classic games I already own.

But someday I may stop playing new games if indies are squashed out and it's all streaming bullshit where they charge you for every little thing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i ebb and flow with all hobbies depending on my time & lifestyle

shit, with multiple kids and a busy career maybe i'll just play league of legends: wild rift & legends of runeterra on my phone for 5 years and ignore a console gen

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Does every thread on this board have to be so binary? So black and white? And so dramatic? I'll get the games I want to and ignore those I don't, just like now. There will never be a time where every game is GaaS or filled with exploitive mtx so I'm not worried about that
It's one of the downsides of this board. Everything is the best ever or ruined forever. It always feels like this board actively hopes for the worst so they can feel justified.
I don't know what it would take. GaaS is a fad just like asymmetrical multiplayer. I will wait to see where we go before I quietly drift away.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I would? Even if gaming went to shit, there's such a massive back catalog of games I could play to keep me entertained for a very long time.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
I don't think any one thing would make me consciously stop playing games forever. More realistically, I'd just lose interest gradually

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I'm already getting tired. I bought the new CoD, really enjoy it but Then realize how much time I wasted playing it.

I think I need to rid myself of GaaS games, I need an endpoint in my video games, but the problem is that not many SP games give me that enjoyment anymore. I'm excited for a few releases coming out but I can't say I'm thrilled to buy them. I'd almost rather rent games and be done with them.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I feel like it, it will probably come or not till i'm dead but it doesn't matter, ill just enjoy it as long as I get satisfaction from it still.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Never. It's been my primary hobby since I was a kid, and it never really had any serious competition since.

There is no "breaking point" for me - I already own more games that I can realistically finish for the rest of my life (I'm 36), and I keep buying more on a regular basis. If the industry were to somehow stop producing new stuff that appeals to me (unlikely, as the indie market has ensured there are games out there for every taste), the huge pile of old stuff will serve me just fine, thank you very much.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
When Destiny is no more, I'll go to the nearest clone. Maybe every once in awhile when a gem like Outerworlds releases I'll play that.

But probably back to playing COD everyday if that day comes. I'll never not play games, but I'll only play social / live games

my only other hobby is my side job (photography).

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
When the medium ceases to exist? Indies outnumber those big games by several times over and they'll continue to be around for as long as the industry is around.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
When it isn't fun any longer I suppose, which I doubt will ever happen. Even if newer games fail to excite me, I'll always have my old favorites.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
When they cease to have fun gameplay. Luckily I'll never live long enough to play all the old games I'd like to play, much less all the new shit I would want to play. So probably keep playing video games until it's physically no longer much of an option.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
When something catastrophic in my life happens where I don't have the means to play them.

We still have decades of amazing gaming experiences to look back on, even if all new games became horrifically predatory.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
They will have to pry the controller from my cold wrinkly wart covered skeleton shaped arthritis ridden hands.

Or when dictator Trump accidentally nukes us all via tweet and renders our nations undoing. Doubt I'll have much time to work on my gaming backlog fighting of mutants and scrounging the wasteland for food and supplies.

*Which ever comes first.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i left for a while when sega bowed out, prolly do the same if nintendo exited (thankfully, not looking likely)

honestly, as long as there's stuff that interests me, i'm in. and this gen has shown there's definitely that.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When everything's online and GAAS, I guess.
But that will never happen, as indies always fill the vacant spaces. Bless them.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I don't see myself abandoning gaming, but I'm almost there with {Jim Sterling's voice} Triple A Liiiiiiiiive Services.

I can't stand, cut content, microtransactions and loot boxes and other bullshit in games that already cost me money. I will drop a franchise for that, I have done and continue to do. Although I would try them again if they dropped the facade of being a £60 game and were free to start.

I see myself focusing on more unique indie games that aren't generic pixel art, pixel-platformers or beat 'm ups or anything that looks like it's made for Newgrounds.

Unless I gained a disability that I couldn't play games anymore I don't see a situation where I'm fully off games.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
When i go blind ?

New shitty trends in gaming won't make me stop replaying older games.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. Why would some shit i don't have to buy make me quit gaming.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm pretty much done with gaming anyway, but this would push me over the edge:

When offline, single player games are dead and/if streaming becomes the number one delivery method and there is no option to purchase/download individual games. Then I'd be done for good.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
When there are no good offline, linear, single player games to play. I already won't even touch the GaaS things.

Only the first reply and it's one and done. I'm not necessarily opposed to GaaS as a concept, but it's generally not my thing at all either.

I do think you're being a bit dramatic about this though, OP. Besides, as long as Nintendo at least is around, the situation you describe is highly unlikely to come to pass IMO. (I understand plenty of people would want more offline single-player games than just Nintendo ones, of course, but the point still stands.)

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
For every shitty megacorp there will always be other studios making proper games that don't try to milk users for every cent

As long as they're around, so shall I be playing