• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
OP is confusing current trends in AAA gaming for the entirety of video games as a media in this thread. Even then there are far too many AAA devs out there who are still doing single player games for me to run out of stuff to play too, not that I ever will, even if there were no new games at all from here on out, there would still be too many games for me to play in my life.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
OP has really been thinking about this for the past half hour.
LOL now it makes sense, i saw him posting in the other thread, basically cannot understand people like things he/she doesn;t. If you don;t like what they like it's disgusting apparently.

Op sounds like he is on a fear mongering mission. There are plenty of great SP games, AAA and AA.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
There are always good games coming out. Sure, big AAA GaaS things are becoming more common and are very prominent, but they are very, very far from being the totality of the industry. There are tons of small to mid budget games, from indies and veteran studios alike, and a lot of them are great.

I'll never give up gaming because of AAA stuff.

Oct 26, 2017
If gaming hits the low point that was last gen again, this time without traditional handhelds like the DS and PSP, I'd be out. Otherwise, so as long as a couple of games a year catch my eye and get me excited, I'll be in

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't see that there will ever be a world where I quit gaming completely. Even if all of the mainstream games become broken messes riddled with microtransactions there will still be good games to play (I also do not see Games as a Service as inherently bad).

There will always be smaller scale and indie video games that offer quality experiences. Hell, for years now I have found AA games to be generally more interesting than the AAA experiences.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Imagine writing this about anything else.

"At which critical juncture will you abandon movies?"
"... abandon music?"

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
40s I imagine. I'm 29 now. 11 years ago, I played everything. Today I am highly selective. In 11 years, I probably won't game anymore.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i play disgusting gacha games, have spent Microsoft points on disgusting idolmaster DLC, have subbed to FF11 for 5yrs in the past. I also ride bikes which is probably a more expensive hobby.

Some of you probably don't count phone games as gaming in which case I've already abandoned gaming.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
If the industry ever moved to all-MP or all linear games, I'd call it quits.

As long as games like Control, The Outer Worlds, Sekiro, Outer Wilds, Hitman, Prey, Cyberpunk, Deus Ex, etc keep getting made, I'll keep playing them.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, there will never cease to be indie upstarts pushing the medium forward, even if the behemoths are locked into a stagnant business model.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only three reasons I can possibly think of that would cause me to quit all gaming forever are:

1. If literally all video games simultaneously stopped being fun. AAA, indies, everything.
2. If all video games literally began to personally insult me as I was playing them.
3. If someone set fire to my entire catalog of games that I own and enjoyed, so I can't go back to play those even if hate everything new that's being released.

So, I'll probably never quit gaming for good. I take breaks here and there, which is perfectly normal, but I think I'll always find something cool or interesting to play.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
With exploitative capitalistic milking machines such as Fifa and COD pushing the same game every year and the overabundance of MTX and GaaS elements, at which point do you expect this to become a uniform situation where you will have short, nonsubstantive campaigns complemented by mostly MP modes, propped up by genres that owe their existence to the online infrastructure alone that dilute, exploit and distort the gaming medium to the point that in the future all we will have to play are online GaaS with no SP and just endless whales and Destiny-esque season passes and updates?

Will you then rise up again this nonsense or just abandon the fight?
Considering this scenario is only possible if you ignore everything except AAA games that have multiplayer, not sure what kind of responses you were expecting

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
If I cannot play games offline and I cannot own all of my games (whether that be a physical or digital purchase), then I'm out. If all-streaming is the real future of gaming then I guess I'll be reading books in my older years or something

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
When it becomes illegal in a dystopian future. Otherwise game on, free people of the world!

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
OP is confusing current trends in AAA gaming for the entirety of video games as a media in this thread. Even then there are far too many AAA devs out there who are still doing single player games for me to run out of stuff to play too, not that I ever will, even if there were no new games at all from here on out, there would still be too many games for me to play in my life.
Preach. Too many people that claim to care so much about single player games, endlessly complain about the smallest graphical and frame rate issue or something else minor to the overall gameplay experience. And guess what, whenever you thought that single player games were more appreciated by devs, those games had other issues that the sands of time have erased.

And let's be honest, there are maybe 5 GaaS games out there that are B2P? The fearmongering over any multiplayer game with live service features need to stop. We can't find these mysterious single player games getting canceled because some GaaS game is taking all of a dev's resources.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't mind GAAS games; I also manage to play a lot of games but don't really end up playing many GAAS games.. don't think I've ever spent a dime on an MTX either, despite playing many games w/ them.. never took anything away from my enjoyment of them.

And now we have pretty insanely polished F2P games that are basically free as long as you don't care what super-hero pajamas your character wears.

Gaming has only gotten better and better for me.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
TBH - I don't think the scenario the OP is describing will happen in my lifetime.

I think we'd sooner see a video game crash and an abandoning of support for the medium than we would seeing everyone universally trying to go after a purely GAAS drive model.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
40s I imagine. I'm 29 now. 11 years ago, I played everything. Today I am highly selective. In 11 years, I probably won't game anymore.

Not necessarily. I kind of had a scaled back interest in gaming in my mid to late 20s. I'm nearly 41 now and way more into gaming than I was then. Less though than in middle school through college of course as I had a ton of free time then.

I think for many that mid to late 20s, maybe into early 30s period, that life and work just gets crazy and interest in/energy for hobbies wanes for a while. That interest and energy can come back when things get less crazy--assuming they do! For me we're not having kids (so that's more energy and time) and my job can still be hectic but calmed down stress wise after I got tenure a few years back. So I got back into gaming. Though to be fair I've scaled back other hobbies like movies and listening to music and mostly focus on gaming and watching/following sports.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I would only ever stop caring if they stopped making single player games or implemented some kind of cash shop / dlc / loot boxes in every single game. And even then I would simply work on my gigantic backlog and I'd be set for life.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
As long as they continue to make games I enjoy I'll keep buying them. Although, if somehow digital disappeared and I had to go back to physical I'd possibly consider quitting it'd definitely make me buy less games at least.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think in terms of dumping an entire medium? But my consumption of gaming would radically change if it becomes entirely subs. I'd probably stick to older games and pick a random sub service for a month a couple times a year.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily. I kind of had a scaled back interest in gaming in my mid to late 20s. I'm nearly 41 now and way more into gaming than I was then. Less though than in middle school through college of course as I had a ton of free time then.

I think for many that mid to late 20s, maybe into early 30s period, that life and work just gets crazy and interest in/energy for hobbies wanes for a while. That interest and energy can come back when things get less crazy--assuming they do! For me we're not having kids (so that's more energy and time) and my job can still be hectic but calmed down stress wise after I got tenure a few years back. So I got back into gaming. Though to be fair I've scaled back other hobbies like movies and listening to music and mostly focus on gaming and watching/following sports.
This has reassured me. Thanks for sharing. I just get so busy sometimes and tired and just out of it by the time I get some time for myself. Truly, knowing that someone out there is 41 but still games has warmed my heart

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

EDIT: OP got banned wtf. :D

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has reassured me. Thanks for sharing. I just get so busy sometimes and tired and just out of it by the time I get some time for myself. Truly, knowing that someone out there is 41 but still games has warmed my heart

No problem! If you have or plan to have kids that could change things--or at least delay them until the kids are sleeping through the night and old enough to be able to game with you--based on the parents I know.

But parenting aside, life tends to calm down once you get a stable job, have less (or no) stress about paying the bills. It was mid 30s when I hit that point. Some never do and there aren't many gamers (if any now that I think about it) among some friends I have from high school or earlier that still struggle to make ends meet.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When the indie developer scene stops making amazing games that don't employ any of the things I hate from the AAA industry.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
even if gaming did become so unethical that i would not want to purchase anything new being released, there are a million ps2 jrpgs that i am interested in playing and fighting games that i could spend years of my life on. I will always have something to play because so much exists already

Aug 28, 2019
There are tens of thousands of games out there, but there can only be a few goliaths on the field at a time. Only a comparatively few studios are even capable of producing such a thing. There will always be smaller teams and individuals producing targeted small-scale experiences. I'll always find something to play.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I stop buying new big budget games, why would I abandon gaming completely? There will always be indie and retro games that appeal to me.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Probably when Nintendo stops making games. It wouldn't be immediate; I'd still play on PlayStation and a bunch of indies, but the number of games I'd play would probably drop dramatically and over time my interest would fade.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
When single player games die and the ones that survive require constant online connectivity.

I won't quit gaming entirely, though; I'll just keep playing old stuff.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if a war, natural disaster or some apocalyptic scenario takes away my supply of electricity. If good games stop being made today then I will still occasionally replay some of my favorite games plus there are plenty of older games I still haven't explored.

I love indies, AAA, American games, Japanese games, dozens of genres, Xbox, Nintendo, PlayStation, digital, physical etc. so the chances of me not finding games to play in the future is minimal.

Oct 29, 2017
When I have kids. I've barely played anything since graduation; once the rest of my free time evaporates, I'll probably just sell it all to free up space.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like I'll stop playing games in any capacity the moment I am unable to because of some impediment.