• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
No, but seriously, I'm sure at some point this idea of a clean, flesh-less skeleton was actually scary to people as a legitimate monster. It moves even though it's dead! It has a permanent grin!
70c8e8853be8c0034ecf5d41aa31efee.jpg

But also, what does it actually do? Now my perception here is HEAVILY biased because of D&D and stuff inspired by D&D, but what does the skeleton have to offer in terms of "scary" beyond just it's visual? How will it kill or terrify you?
Well it's not going to eat you, or bite you. It can't (in a strict sense) turn you into more of a skeleton. It's fingers are kind of pointy, but they're not exactly claws.

It'll probably have some weapon. A sword or maybe a spear. It'll like, attack you with it. And I guess that can be scary, but not really in the horror kind of scary. It's not quite the primal kind of fear a werewolf brings to mind, or the religious paranoia a demon or a vampire inspire. A skeleton with a sword is maybe as scary as a bandit that will rob you on the road. That is pretty scary in real life, but how well does that kind of fear translates to a story?

I don't know. Maybe skeletons that move were never really scary, and the best way to use a skeleton is as environment decoration to complement a scary dark place. But then, a fresher corpse still with flesh and skin will probably do the same but better.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
They throw bones and ride motorcycles

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more that they're existentially scary than like, physically threatening.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
When I was younger I hated them. Internalized that humans have them and it shouldn't be seen on the outside.

OP
OP
Ruisu

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I think it's more that they're existentially scary than like, physically threatening.

I think I get that, but like, not exactly. Maybe if they were just generally associated with "demonic" stuff like (medieval)witches and dark cults. You could kind of slot them there as another kind of demon

Case in point.

But this is cheating because everything looks sort of disturbing in that style of painting.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
"That skeleton is out there...It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
When people die and decay, their skeletons end up showing in the grossest, smelliest (and therefore scariest) ways possible.

This then reminds us of our own mortality.

Spoopy. (Took me 1 minute to figure that out.)

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
No, but seriously, I'm sure at some point this idea of a clean, flesh-less skeleton was actually scary to people as a legitimate monster. It moves even though it's dead! It has a permanent grin!
70c8e8853be8c0034ecf5d41aa31efee.jpg

But also, what does it actually do? Now my perception here is HEAVILY biased because of D&D and stuff inspired by D&D, but what does the skeleton have to offer in terms of "scary" beyond just it's visual? How will it kill or terrify you?
Well it's not going to eat you, or bite you. It can't (in a strict sense) turn you into more of a skeleton. It's fingers are kind of pointy, but they're not exactly claws.

It'll probably have some weapon. A sword or maybe a spear. It'll like, attack you with it. And I guess that can be scary, but not really in the horror kind of scary. It's not quite the primal kind of fear a werewolf brings to mind, or the religious paranoia a demon or a vampire inspire. A skeleton with a sword is maybe as scary as a bandit that will rob you on the road. That is pretty scary in real life, but how well does that kind of fear translates to a story?

I don't know. Maybe skeletons that move were never really scary, and the best way to use a skeleton is as environment decoration to complement a scary dark place. But then, a fresher corpse still with flesh and skin will probably do the same but better.
In a time where "kill the person attacking me with a weapon" was a viable first response "thing that cannot die more than it already has" was probably pretty intimidating.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
In the more distant past people didn't see them as scary monsters, like vampires. They were (are) a representation of death. Different thing entirely.

In the more recent past in things like horror movies they were considered scary because of the novelty of it all. Like in the original House on Haunted Hill with the laughable skeleton at the end, it's funny to us now because we have the entire history of horror movies behind us, but at the time that was brand new and fresh.

It would probably scare you if it was the first scary movie/special effect you'd ever been exposed to.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
skeletons are a lot scarier when you remember the day they put the debtor on the gallows and then just left him there to decay for months to remind you to pay your own taxes

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading a YA short horror story where some kids stumble across a crashed spaceship in the forest and upon inspecting it find that the crew and pilots are still inside but seemingly dead as they are all skeletons. Turns out its a species that evolved with what appears to be skinless skeletal forms with their organs cradled in places like a ribcage and skull. Of course the aliens come to and come to the misunderstanding that the humans are trapped inside some kind of suit or parasite and remove all their skin. Whoops.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Skeletons with eyes are creepy af.

See Tar Man and the Creepshow (movie) Creep. Those two rule.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
They represent death and a reminder of your own mortality, that's all. Every skeleton was once a living, breathing person, just like you. It's a "memento mori" thing.

Oct 29, 2017
The OG skeletons ala Jason and the Argonauts are "warriors that will never give up" and ideally should carry weapons, and shouldn't be mindless like zombies.

So they are a threat because at the very least they are as strong as a human warrior, but you cannot kill by stabbing it, slashing it, etc and it cannot get tired.