• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That game is infamous for it's Mind Screw ending, but at what point did you just not understand it when you were first playing?

for me, it was when Raiden called Rose and she said she had always been a Patriots spy, that's when I was like "what is even HAPPENING?!"

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The end when the communications went crazy.

I loved the entire game which is why MGS2 is easily tied as my most favorite MG game between itself and 3.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know what was going on after I had control over Raiden... I'm like...
"This is not what the Trailers Promised!"

But after that, everything was fine. The story wasn't that complicated for me, it just left a lot of unanswered questions tho.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
For me was when Vamp first appeared and was sucking blood everywhere and doing a lot of pirouettes and shit and I was like

"WTF is this shit"

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It was around the second or third plot twist at the end of the game.

I think it was when Liquid or Solidus were saying they were trying to infiltrate or join the Patriots, and then yet another twist being that they were just cogs in the machine the whole time.

I understand it better now (after reading and watching a lot of explanations), and having MGS4 wrap stuff up from 2, but at the time there was just 1 or 2 too many twists and they lost me.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I was 13 years old and hadn't played MGS1 so basically from the start.
Still loved it though

Sargerus

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Took me a decade to understand what the S3 plan really was about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have issues with mgs2. Mgs3 and 5 I have more issues with tbh as I feel they are basically gameplay driven so maybe I wasn't paying much attention.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
"I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There were several moments, but the codec meltdowns Are what got me the most. Seeing that black "Hideo 1" screen nearly made me shit my pants thinking my ps2 somehow shut itself off. Then I saw the H.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The codec stuff with the Colonel was where I felt really lost. But once the twist came I mostly understood it, though. I really don't think MGS2 is that hard of a game to follow or anything once all the twists and stuff get revealed.

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting it to be a false start, and you were just playing this goofy guy as a tutorial, and that you'll go back to playing as Snake once it's done. But it kept going.... and going... and a few hours in it was clear that this was the game. By that point, I'd long since given up on understanding what was happening.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much didn't understand as didn't care. MGS2 was the first game I ever skipped cutscenes in. I game to game not to watch endless drivel.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Sometime around the naked cartwheel.

But I think I remember reading about the Raiden freakout on Gamefaqs or something as it was happening and it just didn't hit me as hard as it did other people. But everything towards the end was way over my head at the time. Compared to the first game anyway, and it had some crazy stuff too.

Nov 2, 2017
For me it started at the end of the tanker when "Liquid" showed up. The plant only increased my confusion. Felt like I was just along for the ride and not really the one actually playing the game.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as Raiden is captured. After that the game just goes absolutely off the fucking rails. It only ever makes sense to me now because of MGS4's retcons.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I got to the Arsenal Gear section really late at night, I was super tired but I couldn't stop until I finished the game. When the game started glitcheing out and Rose and the Colonel started telling me to get some rest and turn off the console I thought I was legit hallucinating. I was scared shitless and was seconds away from actually shutting it off. My brain was pretty much fried from that point until the end, had to play it again later on to get everything.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
MGS4 could've had significantly shorter cutscenes if they didn't have to try to explain this ending.

MGS4 is kind of incredible with how it tries to put a bow on all of the other Kojima-made Metal Gear games, so for that reason I don't mind that 85% of the game is you watching and listening. They all get some love. Hearing someone actually say the words "Zanzibar Land" is remarkable to me. :p

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Naked Raiden was where it got me. The codec calls had gotten messy somewhere around the jejunum. I also remember being unclear when Rose had been replaced by the AI.

Nov 2, 2018
For me it's always the bit where the game reaches a big climax and the main boss Solidus starts to explain this whole game has been a real-life simulation in order to train a soldier with the abilities of the legendary Solid Snake...

...that is a huge fucking bomb shell, and before you can even begin to process it...

...like literally something like 5 seconds later Ocelot walks on screen and goes "Nah, this is what's really been going on"

That drop a huge plot twist and then immediately retcon it, its amazing.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
When the game started screwing with the codec call. I legitimately thought there was something wrong with my PS2

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's always the bit where the game reaches a big climax and the main boss Solidus starts to explain this whole game has been a real-life simulation in order to train a soldier with the abilities of the legendary Solid Snake...

...that is a huge fucking bomb shell, and before you can even begin to process it...

...like literally something like 5 seconds later Ocelot walks on screen and goes "Nah, this is what's really been going on"

That drop a huge plot twist and then immediately retcon it, its amazing.

Solidus, Ocelot and Fortune were all manipulating each other.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I was like 11 at the time, so pretty much the start lol

I still remember vividly at the end where the colonel goes nuts and he's like "TURN OFF YOUR CONSOLE NOW"

I absolutely freaked out and turned it off and didn't play it again until I could rent it again like 2 weeks later

Oct 27, 2017
HERE. After this is all WTF.

maxresdefault.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
hot take/i'm an idiot but like ... 90% of the game made zero sense to me

i get what kojima was going for and i can retroactively respect it but... yeah we're talking five alarm clusterfuck here