• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I turn 27 shortly and I'm moving. All my friends are girls who live across town, while I'm the one male in the group. We always help each other move, and now we all have boyfriends who join in. We all hate doing it of course, but it's an ongoing chain nobody has broken so far.

I am strict about spending on services (I'm not into housekeepers or car detailers at my current budget lol). I like to blow all my money on stuff, but that's really not relevant. So naturally, I'm thinking about what help I need this time.

But my boyfriend is hurt right now and can't lift stuff with me for this move and I am not close enough with my roommate to have him help come to the new place to unload my two pieces of big furniture (they're not actually heavy pieces but they're too awkward for me to lift alone with how long they are).

So I could ask the girls and their boyfriends across the city to help me move again and I'm sure they'd figure it out, but it feels kind of painful to ask that now. I don't want them driving 40 minutes to bring me their men who I don't know so well, just to use them for lifting my stuff in and out of a Uhaul. The new place is in shambles in this move so it's not like I can have them hang out afterward there or at the emptied out old place (though they're both within 5 minutes of each other). I'd gladly buy them lunch but that feels inadequate and frankly they never accept the offer.

So then I wonder, am I getting too old for this? Or if I'm still rather poor like this is it just accepted to keep asking friends for help? Is there some app or service that will bring me a reliable man for an hour? Like Uber for a moving guy? I know IKEA advertises Task Rabbit as a way to hire someone to build their furniture for you easily. So what do I do for this move?

Is it time to bite the bullet and talk to a formal moving company?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I always hired movers the moment I could afford them tbh. Whether it's worth for you depends on whether the cost fees like it's worth the convenience, and only you can answer that because it depends on what the convenience means to you and how much the cost would affect you.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as humanly possible. I own a truck and have been hit up to help people move since I got my license. I'm sick of it and will never move another damn box spring up a flight of stairs into a narrow doorway again.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I swore at 25 I would never help a friend move again.

I am 30. I think 27 is too old to ask your friends to help you move unless it is a big financial burden or you have very little stuff.

If you have so much stuff a move will be $500-600: stop hoarding shit and cut back.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I like to blow all my money on stuff, but that's really not relevant. So naturally, I'm thinking about what help I need this time.

Moving is a relevant expense.

So then I wonder, am I getting too old for this?

Yes.

Or if I'm still rather poor like this is it just accepted to keep asking friends for help?

Not when you blow your money on other stuff.

Is there some app or service that will bring me a reliable man for an hour?

Moving is going to take longer than an hour. You can minimize the time and pain by packing everything yourself prior to engaging a moving company. A lot depends on your furniture (and whether it needs to be reassembled) and the locations of your previous and future places, such as whether they've got stairs or convenient loading docks for trucks.

So what do I do for this move?

Ask your friends for recommendations or check Yelp in your area.

Is it time to bite the bullet and talk to a formal moving company?

Yes, and you should also look into one that charges per-job rather than per the hour.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Movers are worth it. Pack your shit up yourself, call some movers and be amazed. Not worth you hurting yourself or making multiple trips back and forth. Pros do it fast and easy.

rhino4evr

Oct 31, 2017
It's time. It's not as expensive as you would think, and most movers are actually "good" at it. Vs your friends.

May 21, 2019
I've helped my siblings and mom move several times now, but in recent years they started using movers. I'm not complaining either.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok I'm kind of feeling motivated by your replies and the internet seems to say Bellhops is basically the new Uber for moving. It would cost me $200 and they give you two men for two hours minimum. So I'd actually not have to move a thing myself tbh. My move is just two pieces of furniture and a TV going 5 minutes of the road.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
rent a U-haul mini for 99 a day. you can fit EVERTYHING IN IT.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The point you're at. Just do your research, don't immediately go for the cheapest quote.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I've used Lugg a few times to move things from point A to B. if they offer the service In your area U would check it out. It's been wonderful the half dozen times I've used it.

It's like 3$ a minute when they are outside of their van or truck and like 6$ a mile from A to B. Probably cost you less then $75 if they're just moving 3 items.

If they don't then hit up craigslist to see if there are any college student movers in your area.

I quit moving myself when I I had more then r things needing help moving. So like ~25ish

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Once you get enough stuff that it'll take multiple trips in a moderately sized vehicle to move.
Alternatively, once you get appliances. Fuck moving fridges, or stoves.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you just need help with a few big pieces try Taskrabbit
I've used Lugg a few times to move things from point A to B. if they offer the service I would check it out. It's been wonderful the half dozen times I've used it.

If they don't then hit up craigslist to see if there are any college student movers in your area.

I quit moving myself when I I had more then r things needing help moving. So like ~25ish
Ok I'll check those services too

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm kind of feeling motivated by your replies and the internet seems to say Bellhops is basically the new Uber for moving. It would cost me $200 and they give you two men for two hours minimum. So I'd actually not have to move a thing myself tbh. My move is just two pieces of furniture and a TV going 5 minutes of the road.

Do you live near a Home Depot or a Uhaul location? You could easily hire a couple workers that hang outside for less than $200. It sounds like your move is pretty simple.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I used Lugg to move my wife's grandmother recently. It was pretty much a one bedroom apt with some work by me getting things super accessible it only cost like $240 after tip for like 3 miles and an hour of labor for 2 movers.
Just checked Lugg and they don't service my part of Orlando yet...

However TaskRabbit is super affordable and has a lot of independent movers with vans listed.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's 1000% worth it, just do it as soon as possible. The first time my wife and I moved into an apartment, it was a third floor and we got one person to help us. It sucked, we were never doing that again. Every time we have moved since then we paid for movers. Money well spent.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking your personal possessions are so important that you need to pay other people to transport them for you instead of just setting them all on fire.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not an age... it's a wage.

When you have enough money to spring on movers... that's when you do it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
when Friend Group 1 immediately goes beserk at the sight of Friend Group 2 and attack like some Wrestling work shoot.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You can hire movers through uHaul to help you unload and/or load the truck. Their rates are pretty good. Or... you could go ghetto and hire from craigslist but YMMV.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Once you own nice stuff that you don't want damaged. Of course you then find out movers damage your shit too but at least you aren't putting your friends and family out.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
If all your stuff could be placed at the back of pickup, you could ask your friends for help. Any larger than that, get professionals to do the moving.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
After finally using professional mover, I don't think I could ever go back. I regret not using them for more than just the "big" stuff--would have saved so many car trips back and forth.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
As soon as it's affordable.
There's nothing quite like a good, quick, professional moving job.
Especially if it's just to an apartment. The last move I did a few years back, the crew was all done in under three hours including cross-Atlanta travel.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If I didn't have too much stuff I would rent a van and get family to help load/unload but never friends, I'd feel like I was taking the piss honestly

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Yeah does not sound like you have a lot of items to move to warrant a full moving crew. Usually a local Facebook group or TaskRabbit type apps should suffice. You can even rent a trolly/straps/moving blankets in a kit at a local UHaul place for around $20.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's going to be different for everybody and probably depends on what you own, but I will say after the first time I hired movers I decided never to move myself again. The cost to benefit ratio is just really high in my view. Moving is already stressful. Hiring movers means instead of diving into every box and assembling your furniture you get to just have a livable home afterwards.

Don't forget to tip 20% though.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Depends on how close your friendships are. I'll be moving people's stuff for pizza and beer all the way into my 80s if I live that long.