• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
right abooouuuuut......
cloud.png

there

e3 2015 trailer

like everyone i was yelling, "no fucking way" "no they didn't" "i don't believe it" "don't do this to me"

lol i still love watching those reaction video from this day because i was feeling exactly that

RAS JAHBU's reaction at 18:08 captures the way i felt and the things i was saying about it being a remake or not, literally out loud by myself on the back porch, after i'd already read that this was a trailer for the remake lol

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The PSX 2015. I hated the E3 2015 trailer with a pppppppassion. Then I seen how faithful it was to the original and how the combat played out.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the recent trailer and impressions that dropped around the same time. I was always worried they were going to make this more of an action game or like Kingdom Hearts, and I feel either direction ruins the original feel of the game with its focus on strategy and "turn based" systems.

Now there's still more I have a lack of faith in - can they deliver follow ups in a meaningful, non-Square-Enix timeframe, how is progress being carried over between releases, what may be changed/removed that was significant enough in the original version, etc - but so far it appears they've at least properly captured the Midgar part of the game well.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
I played FFVII when was released and multiple times during the years, I wish SE just move on and use the resources to do somenthing new. I still love the game, it was my first FF and I played it when I was seventeen so you can imagine the affection I have for the game but after the multiple ways in which SE used the story and characters I'm a bit tired of it. This is my unpopolar and strictly personal opinion. I'm glad that new generations of game can play it anyway.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I won't believe in them until they are all released which I don't believe will happen for a very long time. I also don't like some of the changes that have been made. To be honest I don't really like the idea altogether.

I'm all for reverence of the past, I was there it was great. But these constant remakes and recreations I don't like them I don't think they are healthy, it's a sign of a bankrupt society. All this effort, time and money would be better spent on something unique and new. But that's just my opinion.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played FFVII when was released and multiple times during the years, I wish SE just move on and use the resources to do somenthing new.
They are though. FFXIV is still going strong and FFXVI is most likely in development literally right now as we speak.

Not to mention all the original, non-FF IPs (Octopath Traveler, etc.).

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
It's good that we both believe in our Lord and Savior FFVII remake.
But we are fundamentally different in that the role of the architect as interpreted by us from the Holy Scriptures is not of the false prophet Nomura, the distributor of belts and maker of zippers, but of Kitase-Sama, he of steadfast work and humble smile.

In any way, E3 2019 was when I saw the light, as saint Thomas, I had to see to believe and one of aspects of the Holy Mistery, that of Gameplay, was not revealed unto us, till that time. Blessed be FFVII, Kitase-Sama and the two holy Waifus, fruit of their Grace.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still kind of don't?

The art style so far isn't really doing it for me, seems to have lost some of the charm of FF7. This is obviously only based on trailers, so we'll see, but right now the art for me is a huge turn off.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I won't believe in them until they are all released which I don't believe will happen for a very long time. I also don't like some of the changes that have been made. To be honest I don't really like the idea altogether.

I'm all for reverence of the past, I was there it was great. But these constant remakes and recreations I don't like them I don't think they are healthy, it's a sign of a bankrupt society. All this effort, time and money would be better spent on something unique and new. But that's just my opinion.

I shared the same opinion as you, but I'm slowly changing my mind on the whole thing.

However, I do remain rather wary of some changes, and I agree partially with your second paragraph: I would be more excited to see them create new stories instead of recycling old ones.

Square-Enix's games this last decade have been quite hit-and-miss: the FFXIII trilogy burned out a lot of people (they really should have stopped with the first one and moved on), FFXIV 1.0 was an obvious beta (and a very bad one at that), FFXV sold very well but some fan reactions can vary (many people pointed out the scenario and pacing issues, some got remedied through DLCs... which is another problem in itself), KH3 was also a success but, personaly, I was very disappointed (pacing was bad, narration was bad, dialogues were bad, too many bad cutscenes that interrupt the game's flow, "floaty" gameplay, missed opportunities, Kairi's treatment that sent me deeply in the "I don't care about this character anymore" territory, etc)... To the point I'm not sure what to expect from Square-Enix anymore.
I do think they have people of talent (Yoshi-P managed to completely overhaul and salvage FFXIV, that's one HUGE achievement that pretty much no one in the industry ever did besides him), they have countless great composers, they have some great writers (Natsuko Ishikawa, who wrote a couple of storylines and the Shadowbringers extension for FFXIV is amazing), and, well, the people behind the graphics and cinematic movies don't get enough recognition... They have the people. They have the potential. They can make the magic happens. Let's hope they will succeed in their objective with FFVIIR.
I do hope that FFXVI is in pre-production, and that some of the best people at the company will manage to make that one fantastic (I really hope Natsuko Ishikawa will be the lead writer, she is the only one I trust with writing great stories at SE right now).

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Still not convinced - I have no nostalgia for the original and i'm very cautious of what they are gonna do to "improve" the game. Also I'm not too confident about how they will manage the "comical" or weird content especially the LGBT moments.

The last trailers and gameplay bits are encouraging but wait and see.

Also we still have to see how they will split the story in multiple games.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Everything is going in the right direction for the moment. Almost no false notes, even if I want to know how many parts the game will be divided.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Still not convinced - I have no nostalgia for the original and i'm very cautious of what they are gonna do to "improve" the game. Also I'm not too confident about how they will manage the "comical" or weird content especially the LGBT moments.

The last trailers and gameplay bits are encouraging but wait and see.

Also we still have to see how they will split the story in multiple games.
The spliting of the story is the one thing I honestly dislike. It really depends on how they will handle that over the years. I'm pretty sure we are in the long run, and I doubt we will see the conclusion of FFVIIR until 2024 (and I'm being generous here), which will naturally means a change of console (I don't believe all episodes will release on the PS4). We are also not getting any younger, sadly.
Also worried about how they will deal with LGBT moments... But I have no false hopes on that front, japanese video games being overall very tactless about this.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moment they said they were leaving behind mindless turn based jrpg combat and creating something modern.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Once i knew that Nomura, Kitase and Nojima would work on it. They did it once why should it not work a second time. So pretty much since the reveal 2015.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I had zero interest in it until they showed the new ATB system at E3 this year. The gameplay they showed before that look way too much like FFXV's combat which bored me to tears. The game also looks A LOT better visually.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I was always hopeful but didn't really feel confident about the project until the E3 showing.

Nov 1, 2017
User warned: thread whining
At what point did i believe that these "At what point did you believe in <insert game here>" threads were the most worthless things in existence? Coincidentally the exact same time i realised that as lock happy as the mods can sometimes be on this site they are apparently fine with there being 438 different threads on every single tedious individual detail of Death fucking Stranding instead of perhaps encouraging people to take all that discussion into a nice self contained thread rather than making a new one every 5 minutes.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thread, but I'm still skeptical. Played Kingdom Hearts 3, and almost wanted to chuck the game out the window with the last few hours. Combat system and overall depth left me disappointed. The presentation of VIIR is amazing, and it looks like they took notes from what everyone hated about the combat in FFXV. I'm still getting it at launch, but I'm keeping my hype more than measured.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
with the amount of gameplay and amount of new content we will be getting. i will be there day one :)

but i'm still skeptical about their launch plans for the whole project and all episodes.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
This combat system is nothing like FFXVs combat.
Dunno man. Action based. Attacking to build up your atb bar to use skills is pretty equivalent to XV's attacking to build up your skill bar to use techniques. Even the summon system (summons battling alongside you, being able to control their skills) seems to be straight up ripped from XV Ardyn. It's inspired by it at the least.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura as a director made me faithful that they would take risks for the remake

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I was interested the moment I heard of its existence, but I still need to be sold on the combat/overall structure to say I believe in it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The first real gameplay demonstration is when I was pretty sold. Before that, it looked nice, but I was (and still am, to a lesser degree) concerned because I absolutely hated FFXV, and I haven't liked a mainstream single player FF game since XII.

The combat being infused with ATB elements made me really start to think it may be good. I really love the ATB-era Final Fantasy games. So, to see this game attempt to modernize that system (admittedly in a bit of a controversial way by combining it with action combat), was really heartening to me. Then the impressions came out and people seemed to be loving it. Since then, it just looks better and better every time they show it.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
Graphically it looks pretty good. But I'm not totally convinced by it. They seem to be expanding the story, and I'm worried the tight focus of the original (journey to the North Cave aside) will be gone.

I'll give it a go though.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I still think it's going to suck, why get your hopes up?

Because we've seen the game and people have played it and impressions are very positive?

... And because Square has had a fantastic track record with their Japanese-developed games lately, turning around from their issues last gen?

Weird take that seems to be stuck in the 360/PS3 gen.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
When I saw that it wasn't an action-RPG. When I saw you would give the other party members commands in battle.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The sewer gameplay that dropped a few days ago.

I was going to wait until the entire trilogy released before picking it up on PS5 or whatever but after watching that I started the original up again on my Vita planning to finish it before the first part drops. Looks amazing.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I always believed, it was one of my dreams for the longest time and I knew that if Square committed they wouldn't drop the ball.

That said, for years it still seemed like a nebulous idea in my mind, it was this very TGS' trailers that actually snapped me from that foggy state and made me realize this is really happening, it's a real game whose first part is coming soon and it looks amazing.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly before it was announced. I remember finding the Hashimoto troll way too direct and at the time I posted on GAF saying I'm certain a full remake was actually in the works iirc. Then a year later at E3 there it was. I'd wanted it ever since the ps4 tech demo but never really thought it would happen until the ps1 re-release announcement.