• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was never a HUGE Kojima fan in the past. MGS2 was my first Kojima game and while I loved the batshit crazy story, I never particularly loved playing it. Then I played MGS4 and thought it went way overboard with the cutscenes and story and had way too little gameplay (but what was there was solid).

It wasn't until MGSV that I really got deep into one of his games. The gameplay was phenomenal (still probably me favorite game of the generation), and the paired back story really appealed to me. Snake and Ocelot were disappointments, but everything else I loved about it.

Death Stranding appeals to me since it's a fully new universe from Kojima (MGS started to feel pretty bloated, especially with 4, even as impressive as wrapping up every plot point was) and it seems incredibly creative and weird.
I almost don't even care about how this game plays since it just seems like such an interesting experience.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'll 'believe' in it if the game doesn't end up as gaming's version of Twin Peaks: Season 3.

I'm not particularly concerned about the gameplay (though I'm a little worried as to how the open world aspect will play out) but I am 100% concerned that the game's going to be filled with so much 'weird nothingness' that it detracts from the overall experience. Kojima hasn't proven that he can actually write a decent story without Fukushima reigning him in and MGSV proved that he can write a crap story so I just can't put my faith in this game's story being good right now.

Also, and I rarely say this, but the worship around the game and Kojima especially has definitely turned me off of it. When you've got conferences taken up by five-minute long retrospectives and people praising Kojima for posting bullshit baby-boomer-esque nonsense like "I made this game with a notebook and a dream," it's just gone too far.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I believe in the game as in Kojima makes great games and nonsense stories. There was never a reason to doubt that

But I only plan to get it when it's on sales unless I learn it's worth a day one purchase

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was always a believer but it's the gameplay demo that got me looking for tickets to the hype train!

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I followed the Hideo Kojima drama with Konami, so anything he was going to end up making I was going to give a shot.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I believed it until I saw the gameplay. I don't want to play a walking simulator. I'll get it when it's on sale but not full price.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Kojima: *something in japanese*

Translator: a

Me:
acb1.jpg

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
"As you run through the world, if you make hard left or right turns, he'll go off-kilter if he's overburdened, and you'll need to press the L2 and R2 buttons to shift his weight back so he stays upright"

Really sounds annoying more than anything.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
As a serious game? I don't believe in it. Kojima's throwing around a lot of jargon even in trailers without defining it, and the gameplay systems sound like they might end up being rather tedious in execution (despite having potential as ideas).

I appreciate Kojima's willingness to experiment with gameplay, though, and I'm really curious about how the story itself will pan out. I get the sense it'll be a complete mess, but I'm looking forward to the experience.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Well since I haven't seen it I'll only ask, is any of it as mindblowing and interesting as it seems in these trailers?

Definitely.

The correlation of the trailer translated to the gameplay we saw was another layer of mindfuck that just peeled again.

We saw a gameplay equivalent of that whole sequence in the trailer you posted but presumably with a different outcome. Also, the tiny details like the meaning of gold, handcuffs, where BTs drag you to, etc. are starting to piece together.

We got a bowlful of answers to the who what when where now..instead of just WHAT. lol

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
It's kind of embarrassing since I fell for Kojimas marketing strategy. When I read "If you trust me, don't watch the tgs gameplay video." he got me. Going to pick it up November 19th after my final test for being a teacher (Germany and their regulations...) on the 18th. Looking forward already!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
From the very beginning. I've enjoyed every single Kojima game I've ever played so I already knew it was unlikely that I wouldn't enjoy whatever Death Stranding became.

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017
Kojima's games always have a lot of charm and interesting ideas, so I'll probably buy it for that reason alone, but based on the latest footage, I'm not sure how long that gameplay loop is going to hold up for me. Depends a lot on how engaging the traversal is moment to moment and whether or not all those sim mechanics come together in a balanced and engaging way.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
it's a video game not a cult guys
You can say the same to all the ppl that follow videogames. Everyone likes a studio or a developer that as soon they announce something new, they already know they will gonna play it. This cult talk in every Kojima thread is getting tiresome.

Thers a bunch of studios and developers that earned my trust for they past games, that they get me as soon as they announce something new. FromSoft, Rockstar, CDPR, NaughtyDog, Fumito Ueda and Kojima are the studios and devs that as soon they announce something new im already on board. The worst thing that can happen is as more i see, i start losing interest. In the case of Death Stranding, the more i saw the more interested i got.

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
I was interested with the first few trailers. Then I lost interest with the gameplay reveal.
If they rendered norman reedus's penis I'm in 110%

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
The launch date trailer in May

The 50 min TGS footage has rescinded it, however, so not sure if that still counts or not?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It wasn't until MGSV that I really got deep into one of his games. The gameplay was phenomenal (still probably me favorite game of the generation), and the paired back story really appealed to me. Snake and Ocelot were disappointments, but everything else I loved about it.
This describes me as well. I played about 175 hours of MGS5 and I consider it one of the best games I've played in more than three decades of gaming. This is the next game from a lot of the creative team (and the head honcho, although I find Kojima's constant parading of his own name a bit galling) that made MGS5, so I'll buy it sight-unseen.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Still don't, I love Kojimas past work and want his studio to succeed very badly but while I think this game will sell very well due to hype at launch, I have a feeling it will be a critical failure and have no legs in sales. I hope I'm wrong.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely.

The correlation of the trailer translated to the gameplay we saw was another layer of mindfuck that just peeled again.

We saw a gameplay equivalent of that whole sequence in the trailer you posted but presumably with a different outcome. Also, the tiny details like the meaning of gold, handcuffs, where BTs drag you to, etc. are starting to piece together.

We got a bowlful of answers to the who what when where now..instead of just WHAT. lol

Thank you so much. I wanna experience it first hand when I power up the game. I really believe Kojima has set this world up to be something unique and special. Can't wait.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more they show, the more I'm convinced it's something I'll never want to play.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
My decision will be made by Era impressions. As soon as you guys start posting them I'm going to read them intently.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I believed in the reveal trailer... then slowly started to slip and distance myself from the game.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For me it was always on my Radar - I love Kojima's unique flavor of innovation and imagination, so I never doubted that Death Stranding would fail to deliver that weirdness and that focus on cinematic narrative, with the gameplay containing a few little touches of silliness or humor for the players that seek it out. The initial trailer was very different from what we were all expecting, so I didn't immediately count it as something I wanted to play. It was very weird, and that pan out at the end showing all of the dead sea life and the guys floating in the sky grabbed my attention, but again I wasn't really sure what Kojima was doing so I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I wanted. Second trailer was again very strange, but was great in that it showed that there was a real adversary of some kind and that there were some military elements in the game, which helped it feel more familiar. Still....wasn't really sure yet what kind of game it would be.

When that third trailer hit, though, and we started to get a better idea of what the world was like, what BTs were, and just HOW fucked humanity appeared to be. That's when I was 100% on board.

Now I've got my collector's edition on pre order, and everything I am seeing about the game just makes me wonder why I ever doubted that I'd enjoy this game. Last night's gameplay made it all feel very much like an evolution of the groundwork laid by MGS5, but with a more sci-fi and horror driven story... exactly the kind of stuff I like to watch and read. I'm more ready than ever!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I can already see Death Stranding being a MGSV-type deal where the critics fall over themselves to praise it while I play it for five hours, declare it a piece of shit and never return to it again.

For reference, I did watch about 20 or so minutes of that recent gameplay demonstration. Just wasn't all that convinced.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I haven't believed yet. The mere mention of 'Kojima' at first was almost enough, but everything I've seen or heard since has drawn nothing but indifference.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still dont honestly. I'm waiting for reviews. I love MGS, but I think kojima lost his touch after MGS3.