• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I mean, though Kurapika is justified in his vengeance and against the troupe, they are clearly the bad guys

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this video a while back, it goes very indepth in to Gon's hypocricy

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
No idea about what's going on in the manga right now, but all I'll say is that I hope the series going forward focuses on Kurapica and Leorio for a very lengthy amount of time. I don't mind Gon, but I didn't find his story or personality anymore interesting or endearing than your average main character. Definitely written better than most, but I feel his story for now has reached a decent conclusion. I'm dying for an arc centered around Kurapica and Leorio, but I don't want to trap myself by reading anymore.. especially with the frequent breaks. Very interested to see where Kurapica's story is headed and Yorknew remains the highlight of the series for me.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine 12 year olds going through those sort and being okay without a parent figure/mentor. Or having that figure snatched away immediately.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought he's an unlikeable char with a backstory so stupid it almost made me stop watching the show. I hate the edgy child killer trope with passion. Seeing him act tough and dangerous was embarassing. He's alright when he's helping Gon or something, because they've got decent chemistry, but on his own I just can't stand him. In fact, I like Sasuke in all his moronness more than Killua.

For a good chunk of the series I didn't find him all that edgy by the usual definitions. He was a troubled kid with a really fucked up home life that left him seriously lacking in your basic social skills and emotionally stunted who suddenly makes a friend of such intensity it throws his entire world out of whack. Yeah he's cocky at times and has some elements you could call edgy but I feel he's far too nuanced and his goals way too human for being called edgy. His entire final arc in the show is about trying to save his friend and being a great brother.

Last edited:

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they highlighted his derangement a little more. I'm sure all shonen protags are a bit off on some level. so it's the sort of thing you ignore or just brush off. If Togashi wanted to really show that, then it went right over my head.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Gon isn't crazy, he's just selfish. Several characters say this throughout the show at different points.

Oct 25, 2017
Gon is amazing, better than most protagonists. He's amoral and still a great guy.

I love how he always stays positive. I think it's powerful that instead of hating Ging for abandoning him, Gon wants to know why being a hunter is so amazing that Ging would prefer to be that instead to raising him, which is an example of why I think Gon is a great protag.

The one thing that truly broke him was what you all know happened, and I think it's justified because it was one of his pillars in life, and he couldn't stay positive after that, it truly broke him and he went "fuck it, I don't care anymore". It also tied in into the whole idea of Gon becoming more of a "monster" while Meruem became more "human" during their arc.

I also think it's pretty obvious early on that the HunterxHunter world is kinda fucked because so much people die and no one really cares.

Last edited:

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
There is a bit real early on during their journey to the Hunter exam where I remember thinking "oh wait this kid is more interesting than I thought"
Something about be willing to do ANYTHING for his friends, or some sort of disregard for the lives of people he doesn't personally know. Honestly don't remember exactly what it was haha

Anyway, I love that boy v much

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
He's a hypocrite. He's best friends with Killua even though he's a killer, but has a bone to pick with Genthru and his posse for doing the same thing. If you help him with anything, he doesn't care what you did, you're alright in his book(He lets a serial killer escape cause he helped him train, who was only with them cause Biscuit made him stay until they were sufficiently trained, the killer just decides to turn himself in with Gon not caring either way). He's a dumbass(Who mouths off to a guy who could kill him in a seconds, while being held hostage in a base also full of people that can kill him in seconds), It's a miracle he didn't get his neck twisted by Phinks in the Troupe Arc. But yeah, he's always been crazy, season 5 is just when it gets too much.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How is Gon amoral? He lost himself in a fit of rage like a kid throwing a selfish tantrum. He didn't even seem totally aware of what he was doing. If that's amoral then Ichigo is so too.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
No idea about what's going on in the manga right now, but all I'll say is that I hope the series going forward focuses on Kurapica and Leorio for a very lengthy amount of time. I don't mind Gon, but I didn't find his story or personality anymore interesting or endearing than your average main character. Definitely written better than most, but I feel his story for now has reached a decent conclusion. I'm dying for an arc centered around Kurapica and Leorio, but I don't want to trap myself by reading anymore.. especially with the frequent breaks. Very interested to see where Kurapica's story is headed and Yorknew remains the highlight of the series for me.
I think Gon's story is over. Glad to see Kurapika

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gon is what happens when you take the typical shonen frame and unromanticize the FUCK out of it. Pretty great concept and execution, even if it does take a while to see what Togashi wanted to do with him.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Love Gon, he's kid Goku if he was dropped in some fucked up Berserk world without Dragonballs.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You need to watch Hunter x Hunter with blindfolds to miss the obvious signs that something is not okay with Gon. Even before the chimera ant-arc, its painfully obvious. You can still like the show, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you miss these details.
Yes clearly my comment indicates I missed the oh-so-deep subtext in this shonen. Gon is a fairly well-developed protagonist, at least for this genre. I'm not going to simplify his character development into a label.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
This general opinion stems from the whole Pitou thing. People don't like how he acted with Pitou or his best friend. The kid was having a mental breakdown though, so I don't hold the things he said or did against him.

I remember reading something that Togashi intentionally didn't try too hard with Gon as a character so the other characters could really shine. And it kinda shows to be honest. As cool and developed as he is, you don't need Gon around to carry this series.