• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

On average, how old are people around you getting pregnant?

• <25 yrs old

Votes: 101 18.1%
  • 25-29 yrs old

Votes: 147 26.3%
  • 30 - 34 yrs old

Votes: 247 44.2%
  • >35 yrs old

Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Most are choosing not to have children

Votes: 32 5.7%

• Total voters

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Most of my coworkers usually have their first baby in their 30s. My friends who are in their late 20s....I think only 1 of them has a child. The rest are still putting it off.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Early 30s for those around me, but as others have said, mostly no kids. I don't want them either.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was starting to see some of my friends having kids when I was 20 or 21 (I just turned 24 this month).

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Seems like there was a bunch of teenage pregnancy.

A few pregnancy once people hit 30s.

But, at the end, most people don't want to have kids.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Late 20s, early 30s here.

Almost no one that I know is having babies. Only ones that had were because of mistakes.

The lower the education, the higher the number of people that I know that have kids.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
21-26

Most of the people I know had their kids pretty young and are done. Seems like 28-32 is the norm in the last 10 years though.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Costa Rican here. Most people I know my age, dont have kids. Most of my coworkers dont have kids either. Nice too more and more people having less o no kids. It is best for the world.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Back in my hometown, my friends have had kids between 25-29.

Where I live? No one in my circle of friends (26-40) has kids. The closest person is a friend from school who I haven't hung out with in 5+ years and he had a kid acouple years back in his mid 30's.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Wife and I: Never, for moral/environmental reasons
Friends/Family: Those that did, early 30s generally, bleeding into mid-30s. One couple before that age, only like two couples I have any association with after. The ones that had them early are now mid-40s and kinda happy they had kids so early as it's freed them up and they still have a lot of energy to enjoy life.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The bulk of my peers with kids started having them 8-10 years ago. The ones who didn't just had kids recently in their early 30s.

Next round will probably happen in the next two years or so since everyone who wasn't in the position to have kids is now in the position to have kids. Except for me of course, I'm the last single one left lmao.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
There are a bunch of kids I went to highschool with who have teenagers now at 33. It blows my mind when I see some of them with their kids.

Dec 2, 2017
I barely know anyone with children. I am 34 and my husband is 30. No one in my inner circle has children. I know a few people I went to university with who recently started to have children but I don't know anyone who had a child in their 20s. I also think a lot of it has to do with education. I studied medicine and had to complete my residency and fellowship which would have been next to impossible with a child. I have no desire to have children but many of my female co-workers who want to have children usually start to think about it in earnest in their mid to late 30s.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a few of my friends have kids, most want them in 2-4 years, which would be when we're around 26

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my friends don't have children. Of those who do, some had children before even graduating high school. Others had children by 20. Still others waited til mid-20s. Then there are some who had children in their 30s or 40s

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I don't know anyone personally that is under 34 and have kids yet, in my circle of friends and work colleagues. Germany here. Most people want to have fun, travel, and work on their careers during these times and doing some things that you can at best during this age, not raise kids which is a massive drain on money and time. They want to mature responsibilities and financial security (even though we don't have student debt). Most people in Germany only tend to have 1-2 kids at most too. I also believe it has a lot to do with the good sex education in Europe in general ehich is why STDs and teen pregnancy is so low. There's enough people on this planet any way.

Last edited:

Magni

My wife and I had our daughter at 26. I wanted to be done with diapers by 30 and free (no underage kids at home) by 50. None of our friends our age group have kids. Those who do are in their mid thirties. Friends our age have also said they'd wait until then to have kids (for those who want them).

I had the youngest parents growing up (my mom had me at 25), and I was happy about that, cause it was sad seeing friends whose parents couldn't do anything exciting cause they were too old. My mom is enjoying life in her 50s without needing to worry about my brother and I, and her friends are jealous she gets to be a grandmother while they're all dealing with figuring out what their kids are going to do after high school.

I don't own a home, and I wouldn't say I've fully settled down yet (planning to move across the world again in the coming years), but I was very lucky in that coming out of school, I had very little student debt (yay Europe) and a great salary/work-life balance (yay tech), so it didn't take too long to save up enough to feel comfortable about starting a family. And also obviously super lucky that I met my wife at the right time.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
A large portion of the girls I went to school with either got pregnant before high school ended or had kids in their early 20s.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Back half of my 20's. None of my friends have kids coming (Thank God). None of us are married either.

I will say I started seeing sonogram scans from kids I went to high school with on Facebook who were having kids on purpose at, like, 20. That was eerie (still is).

Oct 27, 2017
31445.jpg

(for real though, youngest one I know was 28 when he had a kid. I don't know of any friend who is under 25-26 and married. Then again I'm not an american)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So not including of course people who don't plan to have a child...

I have a spectrum of responses here. My best friend for many years is Mormon, they believe to marry and have kids young, so he was married and had a kid at 20.

I had a couple friends who had teen pregnancies. I have a friend who was pregnant in her early 20s. I have a friend who's pregnant right now at 25 (birth in more or less a month from now). There's some I know that didn't give birth until their early or mid 30s. I have other friends who want a child but don't have one yet in their 20s and 30s.

I want a child one day, but I don't have one yet, and currently 27.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
At school I knew people who had kids from age 15-18, it was a pretty common occurrence to see pregnant girls in school.

My friend group from school are almost ALL married and have kids now. There's maybe 2-3 of us who are single out of the 20+ of us who hung around together at school (we were a big group of nerds).

All that said, it's worth noting I've just turned 27, and most of my friends were married with kids before or around age 25. I personally have no interest in a relationship or kids at 27, I'm focusing on work and enjoying my life how I want to. I suppose it's also worth noting I'm from North East England but moved down south for work.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
A bunch of accidents right after high school at 17-20 and not much since, although those around me are now starting to marry. One of my mates is talking about maybe having another (early 30s now).

34-40 seems to be the range of people I know (so I put 35+). I had my first at 34, then another at 36. I think 28-32 is a sweet spot in terms of kids, but it's hard to be a mom and get any kind of career going if you have kids right in the middle of prime time. That's why I think most women I know started later around 35.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The common age is around 25+. That said, I knew people who were getting pregnant at 18, four or five girls at the same time. Needless to say, it was pretty shocking.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I went to school with the record holder for the youngest father in Britain - Sean Stewart, he was 12.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think it's been a pretty steady stream since high school. More than a couple people had kids at 18-19 (who are now graduating high school themselves). More than a few others (self included) had kids at 35ish.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Because it does not have to be like this. This is affecting the health of our children and our own well-being, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Giving people a real choice of when they want to start a family without inevitably suffering financial hardship is what we need to aim for in terms of cultural expectations.

What is going on now is exploitative and not good enough. It's why social democracy is the only way forward and why the reinstatement of the welfare state is so paramount to social mobility and quality of life. If you didn't have to pay individually for your healthcare or higher education, would you not agree that the average young person would be potentially way better off by those measures I stated (social mobility and quality of life, as well as indebtedness)?

Neoliberal policies starting during Reagan's era have created the current decline in social mobility and quality of life we are seeing now. We are at a pivotal point in history: do we take back control from the investor class or do we succumb to them and their neo-feudalist, rentier-economic paradigms of existence?
Nice argument except for the fact that in Europe the average age for having children had gone up, and birthrate have fallen massively (amongst non-migrant populations), despite having decent welfare systems.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I live in western Europe. Thankfully, I'm part of a big group of long term friends I meet with regularly, we're all in our early 30s or getting there and while at least half of the group is in long term relationships, they don't plan on having children for now. Most of us don't have cars either.

These days it feels like getting a decent job, paying for rent and just living, in general, is hard enough to even think about kids.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Switzerland and I'd say 30-35 and beyond.

But most people struggle enough with just working (on average 42 hours a week), paying way too much for everything and existing in general. Don't even think about failing and say hello to high stress levels. Fathers get zero leave here. Gee, I wonder why the birth rate is so low...

Last edited: