• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Are you the same person who made a thread about a genre for games that feature one hit deaths? I recall vaguely something like that on Era

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Not every influential game needs a new genre, and in fact I'd argue that it hinders communication to invent new jargon like this.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Could we get a list of those games? are there more than 5?
Hotline 1&2, Mr. Swifty, Serial Cleaner... and what else?

Im not shure it katana zero is that close, but lets count it, then were at 5

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think Hotline Miami has really inspired a lot of great game even outside of it's own genre. I am not sure if Team Cherry said it or not but Hollow Knight has a little Hotline Miami to it as well for me even.

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time, I got the platinum on the game in PS4 and I have probably played through the game at least 7 or 8 times now which is a lot for me as I really dont replay games that often.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Could we get a list of those games? are there more than 5?
Hotline 1&2, Mr. Swifty, Serial Cleaner... and what else?

Im not shure it katana zero is that close, but lets count it, then were at 5
Here are a few that come to mind for me, but I could be forgetting some.

DEFINITELY a Hotlike/Fuck 'em Up Game:
  • Ape Out
  • The Hong Kong Massacre
  • Katana Zero
  • Mr. Shifty
  • Bloodroots
Games with clear influence but not necessarily a Hotlike:
  • Ruiner
  • Furi
This isn't the best one in the thread, but it's definitely a good one. I especially like it because a hallmark of these games is that everyone dies in one hit or shot, player character and enemies alike.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Here are a few that come to mind for me, but I could be forgetting some.

DEFINITELY a Hotlike/Fuck 'em Up Game:
  • Ape Out
  • The Hong Kong Massacre
  • Katana Zero
  • Mr. Shifty
  • Bloodroots
Games with clear influence but not necessarily a Hotlike:
  • Ruiner
  • Furi

This isn't the best one in the thread, but it's definitely a good one. I especially like it because a hallmark of these games is that everyone dies in one hit or shot, player character and enemies alike.
Ruiner i dont know,. furi is more bulet hell and some other stuff, than Hotlike, i really would not count that, or you have to start counting a lot of older games to...

Ape Out: ok, missed thatt, yeah kinda. Did not like it, at all.
The Hong Kong Massacre: ok, totally. But kinda looks like a bad clone more than its own game.
Bloodroots: this one i can see. Also has its own style.

Katana Zero im still more on the influence than the hotlike cathegory, but i see from where you come.

PS: i did not care for Mr. Shifty, and it was one of my first switch games... not great.

Funny how 4 of those games are devolver digital (Ape Out, HM1/2, Katana Zero)

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Think of a genre like Metroidvania. Neither Super Metroid nor Symphony of the Night gave birth to the larger genre of 2D action/adventure games with an exploration focus, but they both created a successful template that was distinct enough for countless games to take inspiration from it for many years afterward. With so many games being made in this style that was directly attributable to these two progenitors, it eventually became appropriate to label it a subgenre unto itself. Thus, Metroidvania was born.

45f.gif

Hotline Miami's memorable aesthetics have been very influential on their own.

At this point I think that Hotline Miami is in a similar position, where it's very common to see games referred to as Hotline Miami-esque or Hotline Miami-inspired. It's usually games that possess some number of these elements that Hotline Miami brought to the table in its very distinctive way:
  • Fast-paced action where death is dealt and received quickly in equal measure and restarts are instantaneous to keep the flow going despite failure. This design sensibility is similar to what you'd see in masocore platformers, but Hotline Miami applied it to top-down action to great success.
  • 80's-inspired audiovisual trappings, typically complete with hallucinogenic or VHS degradation-style visual effects to convey a trippy analog vibe. The use of Vaporwave, Synthwave, or other offshoots of those genres also often accompanies games like these, clearly taking a page from Hotline Miami's playbook.
  • Punchy, arcadey violence. Hotline Miami came onto the scene guns blazing and unafraid to shock players with its unflinching violence, which was stylized by its retro visual aesthetic as to take some of the edge off of the otherwise grisly proceedings. The violence is conveyed through simple, fast gameplay that rewards on-the-fly adaptation and quick reaction times, which ties back into the arcade-inspired design of the core gameplay. This has become an increasingly popular format for indie games in a post-Hotline Miami landscape.

Hotline Miami and its sequel were games that were so consistent and confident with their unique design language that they gave other indie devs a template on how to make a stylish, punchy action game with a memorable aesthetic on a lower budget. As I said before, saying that a game is Hotline Miami-esque has become so common in reviews for these types of games that I feel it's time to give this genre a name.

Katana-ZERO-Action-7.gif

Katana Zero took the Hotline formula and applied it to a side-scrolling action game.

I was listening to a recent HG101 podcast about Katana Zero in which one of the hosts dubbed the genre Superhotline, using a portmanteau between Superhot and Hotline Miami to describe these room-by-room, quick-restart violent action arcade games. I think that's a good start, but I think we can do better.

I knew i was having deja vu!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is...tline-miami-if-yes-what-do-we-call-it.114906/

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Lithium City and unfortunately, not very many people have played it. Saw a lot of people comparing it to Hotline Miami.