• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the more competent Jedi?

• Anakin Skywalker before his fall

Votes: 149 53.2%
  • Luke Skywalker

Votes: 131 46.8%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
aa02fed685243b77c6dd7f7d8fc4454e6be30828_hq.jpg

Let's try and compare the two during their time as Jedi. This means not counting anything Vader did.

Anakin Skywalker

latest

1641549-star_wars_the_clone_wars_20110128034618442.jpg

Pros:

+Trained from his youth
+Lived during a time when Jedi Knights were ubiquitous
+Competent general and leader
+Skilled with force abilities and saber combat
+Had the respect of those beneath him
+Young, but as capable as Jedi twice his age or more
+Able to think on his feet

This happens after his fall, but is still notable, as it indicates his innate talent:

+Is able to completely re-adapt his combat style after being crippled

Luke Skywalker

3464206e24f9158eeb49f5997873a5ac.jpg

giphy.gif

Pros:

+Had to rise as a Jedi without much formal training
+Shows innate skill with a lightsaber, learning how to use one in a relatively short period of time
+Takes the weight of restoring the Jedi Order upon his own shoulders
+Successfully converts Darth Vader back to the light side
+Overcomes his own inner demons and paves the way for the Jedi to reform and resurrect themselves without the faults of the old order
+Is able to reach new heights with the force, including force projection
+Never falls to the dark side

Who do you think is the better Jedi at the end of the day, and why?

Personally - and I'll elaborate on this later - I think Anakin was a more competent Jedi in terms of combat ability and intuition, but Luke was far more competent in understanding the concept of a Jedi Knight at its core and enforcing its spiritual philosophies. Which of those is more important to the question at hand I leave to you to decide.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You're pretty much spot-on, honestly. Anakin's fall was made possible because he never connected with the spirituality of being a Jedi.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Personally, I prefer Luke because, apart from his idealistic moral core, I always like the idea that he basically received the CliffsNotes version of Jedi training and then had to figure it out from there by himself.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally unfair comparison, given that Anakin had like 5 seasons of adventures on Clone Wars so they constantly had to creep up his power and ability.

By contrast, Luke has very few canon adventures to compare.

Looking at only the movie canon though, I would rate them roughly equal.....but even that's hard because their lightsaber fighting styles are so different.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You answered your own question when you bring up the fact he overcame his own demons. Anakin is great at many things, but everything you described here makes him a great leader, or military figure, a warrior - and a far more skilled one than Luke. Jedi at their core weren't about being warriors.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In the films, I think Luke achieved more. Stopping the war vs the empire by redeeming his father, and saving the resistance by distracting Kylo Ren who were then reborn. The force projection on Crait was very impressive.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke did the most Jedi thing ever... twice.

Anakin was a great warrior and general, not a great Jedi.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Luke as a Jedi tried to make the galaxy a better place, save his friends and father, and offered himself up for sacrifice twice. All with only hearing tales of the Jedi and getting to know two of them.

Anakin gets exposed to all the Jedi. Becomes super competent but never really lets go of selfishness. Or at least never embraces self-sacrifice like Luke does.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I mean obviously Luke embodied the benevolent spirit of being a jedi more than Anakin and really all of the old jedi order but that's not really a measure of pure competence, that's kind of another discussion.

Anakin as a wartime jedi knight was super competent in getting shit done, he was a war hero among war heroes. The jedi order as a whole was corrupt in this era but in that role he was very competent. Luke, we don't get to see nearly as much of him, and do we count Empire and/or the beginning of Jedi or is he only considered a jedi at the end when he throws away the saber?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Did Anakin ever talk about why the fuck he even wanted to be a Jedi?
He was a slave. Jedi = freedom.

The same reason any kid would want to be a superhero or go to Hogwarts. Jedi = superhero space wizards.

And it surely helped they kept telling him he was the chosen one. Jedi = I've found my ultimate purpose and destiny in life.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Luke. He did almost everything he did to all by himself. Man had nothing but ghosts and The Force itself to guide him and he managed to go as far as opening up a school to train new Jedi. All. By. Himself. He died a true hero and again as a savior of the Rebellion.

Anakin, by contrast, had literally hundreds of Jedi to support him, a direct mentor/master, and the Council to learn from, to guide and advise him. And he still turned out to become a piece of shit.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of, like, doing cool Force shit and killing guys, obviously Anakin. Luke once forgot he could use the Force and had to throw a rock at a button on the other side of the room; Anakin would have straight up annihilated him.

In terms of being a Jedi-ass Jedi and embodying the principles of Jedi-ery, Luke by a mile.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Anakin, Luke is at best emulating what he thinks a Jedi should be, Anakin had more or less become the peak of what a Jedi could be.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Anakin by far was the better warrior and had much better feats. He literally wrestled down the personification of the light side of the Force and the dark side of the Force....at the same time.

Luke was the better Jedi because he was way more stable and well-suited to being one.

So basically Luke had the perfect temperament for a Jedi Master and Anakin was the peak Jedi warrior.

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
In terms of, like, doing cool Force shit and killing guys, obviously Anakin. Luke once forgot he could use the Force and had to throw a rock at a button on the other side of the room; Anakin would have straight up annihilated him.

In terms of being a Jedi-ass Jedi and embodying the principles of Jedi-ery, Luke by a mile.

This is correct.

I mean in a fight, Luke would get bodied by a youngling. LOL

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is correct.

I mean in a fight, Luke would get bodied by a youngling. LOL
Yea Episodes 4-6 Luke would have def caught a toe tag from a similarly-aged Anakin and we never saw Luke's maturation into a Master to say otherwise. That said...Luke even as a Hologram fuckin STYLED on Kylo. So idk. Jedi Master Luke may have been incredible. Maybe he was in the books, which I have not read.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Luke is the better Jedi by a mile, and with a pamphlet's worth of training embodied the Jedi ideals better than the actual Jedi themselves. Luke made the sacrificial play twice -- once when confronting the Emperor and Vader, and finally when confronting Kylo. He had friends and genuinely cared about them.

Anakin was great at fighting, but all he cared about was himself and his feelings. I never got the feeling he was ever really a Jedi. He was more like a free agent who got signed by a reluctant team, and then jumped ship once an alternative presented itself. If Qui-Gon had lived, maybe things would've gone differently, but ultimately, Anakin would've never sacrificed himself for the greater good.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Pretty much. Anakin is a shitty ass Jedi but incredibly powerful in general.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
That's one thing I really wanted to see in the st. Luke doing badass lightsaber shit. Sure, the hologram was cool, but I wanted to see how his fighting style had improved.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I never gave my own thoughts on this issue. Came back to check on the poll, and - I'm surprised. Anakin won by a larger margin than I thought. I expected it to either be Luke, or be close.

I believe, like many others said, that Anakin is a born warrior and general. He is also self-centered and fights primarily for himself. While he is not a bad person before his turn - he does portray very clear and genuine concern for his subordinates, his mentors, and those he is sworn to protect - his impulsive, entitled behavior is a big problem.

Luke, on the other hand, is lacking in many of the things Anakin had. Formal training, lightsaber skills honed with years of practice, the ferocity expected of a warrior meant to fight against darkness. These are the more obvious and apparent qualities of a Jedi. But his quick learning, his ability to go beyond the failings of those before him and embrace new ways of thinking, his resistance to the dark side, his conversion of Vader, his development of hitherto unheard of force techniques, and his dedication to pacifism make him the embodiment of the Jedi code; a true Jedi Master.

Anakin is a justicar, someone extremely fit to serve as the Jedi's hand of retribution and as a commander on a battlefield. However, Luke is a master, a true Jedi, and while he has his own spiritual failings as well (see The Last Jedi), he is always able to overcome them and stays true to protecting the balance of the force. In fact, Luke is so dedicated to the Jedi code of protecting balance that he considers and for all intents and purposes does abolish their old code, finding it unworthy.

Luke is a better Jedi than most who came before him. He may not be a "chosen one" or have as much innate talent or as many privileges as his father, but his heart was in the right place.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anakin wrecked shit up. He also had some crazy forces working against him in order to subvert him from a young age. Anakin was also incredibly selfless and really empathetic to everyone around him which in a way led to his downfall.

Jun 20, 2019
To me, Luke's gambit at the end of TLJ is the most perfect expression of the Jedi teachings in the whole canon. It's what Kenobi does in ANH but far more selfless.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you include Clone Wars, it's Anakin by a country mile in terms of capability and just overall Force usage. Compare Ep 3 Anakin to RotJ Luke and Luke would have gotten bodied.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with many on here that Luke was the better Jedi, Anakin was the better warrior. A question though, if you do take the books into account, does this change? Would Luke destroy Anakin?

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Anakin easily.

Anakin was a wartime Jedi, routinely fighting life or death battles against highly skilled opponents, including lightsaber users who actually wanted to kill him.

The most dangerous enemies Luke fought against didn't even want to kill him. They wanted to test then groom him when they found out who he was.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anakin betrayed everyone and killed a bunch of children because he had a dream that his wife might die and he couldn't bear to let her go.

Not a great Jedi.

Oct 28, 2017
Anakin betrayed everyone and killed a bunch of children because he had a dream that his wife might die and he couldn't bear to let her go.

Not a great Jedi.

That's after he became Vader. He killed a bunch of sand people children because he was angry, but he still had enough sense to feel guilty over it. Good thing Padme swept that shit under the rug.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Why the hell is Anakin winning this?! Luke is everything a Jedi should be, where the entire order failed he succeeded. Plus we don't know what he did in a thirty year gap, and we don't know what he will do in the next movie which seems like will set a legacy that will change the Galaxy.