• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Never noticed that, good find. A lot of people seem down of bttf part 3, but I love it. The three films work so excellently together.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Needle's gang always confused me. I didn't get who they are or where they're from. As a kid I didn't understand any of it. Thought I missed something.
And even as an adult it took me really long to understand. Needle is such a side note that it doesn't make sense to me that they used him for this scene.
They're the equivalent of Biff (for George) to Marty.

They're not in BttF 1, but it comes out in BttF 2
Was Needles even referenced in the first movie? Was his first appearance in 2015 on the video call? Did he only have two appearances with the second one being at the end if III? They invented a lot of lore for II and III that wasn't in I. The whole "chicken" thing wasn't even in the first movie but they made it his quirk for the other two to give him reasons to get into trouble even though he had clearly changed. It was like "I can say no to you with absolutely no problem but don't you dare call me chicken or else I'll have to do whatever you dare me to do. Please don't call me chicken."

Oct 28, 2017
Was Needles even referenced in the first movie? Was his first appearance in 2015 on the video call? Did he only have two appearances with the second one being at the end if III? They invented a lot of lore for II and III that wasn't in I. The whole "chicken" thing wasn't even in the first movie but they made it his quirk for the other two to give him reasons to get into trouble even though he had clearly changed. It was like "I can say no to you with absolutely no problem but don't you dare call me chicken or else I'll have to do whatever you dare me to do. Please don't call me chicken."
I remember seeing 2 in the theater and had no idea who Needles was. They totally introduced him in the video call in 2. He is not even referenced at all in 1.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I remember seeing 2 in the theater and had no idea who Needles was. They totally introduced him in the video call in 2. He is not even referenced at all in 1.
Awesome find! Totally made my night. Also blanked on the fact Needles was not in Part 1. God I need to watch these again.
Well it makes sense. RHCP didn't even release their first album until 1984 and were unknown pretty much. Flea wouldn't have even been a thought in their heads for the character. Obviously Marty needed his own Biff for the other two movies, which were both filmed at the same time like 4 years after the first. By then RHCP was bigger. I wonder who went after who. Did they get Flea because they were fans or did he audition because he was a fan of the first? Either way he's apparently super unhappy with part II and hated his role. Which is silly because it's literally like 30 seconds and I love his performance really. Can't really get any better. But then again he hates the film for some reason.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I never realized that Flea was Needles. The hair has always obscured the image I have of Flea in my head.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I didn't even know who RHCP was as a kid. Never heard the name. I was 11. And even when I got to high school I only learned about the names of these 80s and 90s bands from the T-shirts the kids wore. (And they wore a lot. Nirvana, Metallica, NIN, Alice In Chains) My family was Christian so I didn't listen to secular music except what they played on the easy listening stations. (We didn't even get our own boom boxes until the mid-90s.) So I literally didn't discover many popular songs from popular bands until the late '90s and 2000s. No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom was like the first real artist and album I listened to in the mid-90s. (And my favorite of all time now)

So to me Needles was just another weird guy. Hell I didn't even know who Huey Lewis was so I wouldn't have caught the reference in the first movie.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marty's band from the first movie also completely disappeared in the two sequels. You would think they were important people to him or something, but they aren't even mentioned at all

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I wikipedia'd it. BSSM came out in Sept 91 so that's when I would have heard about them first at 11 or 12, through MTV and BF2 came out in 89, probably 90 in Europe I guess. He was acting since 84 tho! So I wonder was he just hired as a jobbing actor or as a cult figure?

RHCP were very very big in California and LA for some time before BSSM hit. "Mother's Milk" came out in 1989 and got them their first gold record. "The Uplift Mofo Party Plan" sold really well in 1987 too.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Marty's band from the first movie also completely disappeared in the two sequels. You would think they were important people to him or something, but they aren't even mentioned at all
Well to be fair from Marty's perspective he doesn't really spend much time in 1985 from the time the movie starts to the time he returns.

Once he gets to school for the audition after school he goes home, naps, then meets Doc and disappears from 1985. He returns to 1985 that same night and sleeps until morning when he goes outside, finds his new truck, then him and Jennifer are whipped out of 1985 proper then return again that early morning (When he wakes Jennifer up on the porch) and they go to find the DeLorean. He literally never goes back to school and doesn't really get any time to call any of his bandmates. It's implied that he will start a band so I'd assume he'd still have them with him once the whole movie events are over and Doc has disappeared with his train. The 26th and 27th are a weekend so he wouldn't have been at school. And I assume his bandmates knew he was planning a trip for the weekend so they wouldn't be practicing.

Also Marty disappears for a whole day when you think about it. That whole second day is gone. (They leave with Doc early in the morning of October 26th and Marty doesn't come back from 1885 until the next morning of October 27th. I just checked. And any time he spends in 1985A doesn't count.) And I'm sure his parents assume he and Jennifer just went on their trip, except that he didn't take the truck. So how did they get to the lake? Oh well they're young teenagers having fun. Probably went somewhere with friends. The only witness that sees them leave is Biff who sees the flying car. So what happens when Marty and Jennifer return the next day? Does Biff just brush it off or ask questions? Not like he could do anything anyway. No one would believe his story and it's not like Marty has a time machine to steal this time. I'd assume Marty's dad would laugh at his funny story and tell him to get back to waxing the car.

To Marty this whole thing is just a small blip in his life. He lives his normal life, then for like a few days (From an outsider's perspective) he has a crazy unseen adventure that changes him for the better. Then he continues living his life. Also remember that the 1985 he returned to initially isn't even the same. He might not even have the same friends. (Though he probably does since the only stuff he changed was his parents life directions, and Biff's. Not anyone else so everyone else would probably still be the same in 1985. And I guess technically he was already in 1985A. The Biff timeline would have been 1985B.)