• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
arstechnica.com

AT&T plans thousands of layoffs at HBO, Warner Bros., rest of WarnerMedia

AT&T’s WarnerMedia cuts jobs, blames pandemic’s impact on entertainment industry.

AT&T is planning thousands of layoffs at HBO, Warner Bros., and other parts of WarnerMedia as part of a plan to cut costs by up to 20 percent, The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday.

WarnerMedia is what used to be called Time Warner Inc. before AT&T purchased the entertainment company in 2018. Layoffs and cost cuts are nothing new at AT&T in general, including at WarnerMedia. But WarnerMedia has taken a particularly big hit since the pandemic began. AT&T laid off about 600 people from WarnerMedia in August, a prelude to the new cuts revealed yesterday. The Journal wrote:

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
That's a major bummer, if only they had some media to release to help recoup the costs...

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I have a sad feeling that DC is gonna see even more firings than what's already happened

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't WBIE avoid the last round of layoffs because AT&T was trying to sell them? If they've decided to keep them, then this makes me worried...

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me really doubt that HBO will get the billions needed for new content needed for their platform.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Damn so even without the sale of Warner Bros, there would've been layoffs

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
DC is done, isn't it? I can absolutely see AT&T shutting DC down, licensing the comic publishing rights to other companies and just keeping tv and movie rights in house.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the axe to fall at the media company I work for. I actually started renting month-to-month solely because I'm afraid of being stuck with no source of income and a 10-month lease. Paying off as much debt as I can, too.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Every single time AT&T is in the news, its because they're fucking laying people off. What the fuck is going on?

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so fucking tired of how corporations operate. Record profits quarter after quarter, and it all goes to CEOs and shareholders, while the workers get shafted. Then they have one or two "bad" quarters, and guess who suffers? All while they beg for a bailout. Maybe they should take the advice they like to tell households and actually stash some of those profits away for when something like this happens. But no, they'll keep privatizing the profits and socializing the losses, all while the top brass keep living in their golden towers and everyone else suffers.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
AT&T should never have been this big. They should be the first company on the chopping block. There is no a single argument you can make for how big they are.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Every single time AT&T is in the news, its because they're fucking laying people off. What the fuck is going on?

They're a horrible company. Every company they absorb they destroy (DirecTV, soon to be Warner Bros). They lie to consumers ("5G") and are approximately $170 billion in debt.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm so fucking tired of how corporations operate. Record profits quarter after quarter, and it all goes to CEOs and shareholders, while the workers get shafted. Then they have one or two "bad" quarters, and guess who suffers? All while they beg for a bailout. Maybe they should take the advice they like to tell households and actually stash some of those profits away for when something like this happens. But no, they'll keep privatizing the profits and socializing the losses, all while the top brass keep living in their golden towers and everyone else suffers.
It won't ever change either.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Most of the media is dying already. Go back 10 years and you could make a decent salary in traditional media. Now it's all clickbait and shitty yellow journalism. Everything is getting swallowed up by corporate giants and when they do, they become soulless, stripped of what made them unique/fun in the first place. Then a couple months later they're closed because the corporate suits thought they could make a quick buck, ransacked everything and quit.

I know it's not a media company but we're seeing it with Hasbro in relation with MTG. Recently, Hasbro decided that MTG needed to double its profits. What that translates to in the last 2 years: insane product output you can't keep up with, degenerate designs meant to sell more packs, going back on promises made to the players with stupid crossovers IPs like The Walking Dead in black border, poor cardboard quality, poor competitive scene, the list goes on. Corporate is out of whack almost everywhere.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Probably could save a couple of thousand jobs if they cut down CEO wages and everyone else who usually are completely fucking useless cunts yet still get paid like 400x the average pay.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like it is all kicking off with this and the cbs cuts elsewhere. It's a bad time to be in the entertainment industry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably could save a couple of thousand jobs if they cut down CEO wages and everyone else who usually are completely fucking useless cunts yet still get paid like 400x the average pay.

Honestly we need to start putting salary caps on executives who do nothing but sit in meetings and golf all day. Every "chief X officer" in the damn country.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
They are also in the process of killing DirecTV, rather effectively too.

They seemingly abandoned the platform as soon as they acquired it. It sounds like the AT&T CEO is actively auctioning the DTV business, so I believe there is still some optimism that the brand can be saved with someone else at the helm. Obviously "saved" is relative. Not necessarily massive growth, but a dramatic slowdown of the attrition there. I'm hopeful, the skeleton of the company is still very good, with many very smart and dedicated folks still there!