• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Just look at this... We did it!

Character customization in some online games is so powerful, a player can dedicate their time customizing the appearances to match up with reality.

Game is Monster Hunter World Online, hosted in Korea.

Tell me if this is "next level customization", or what?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
A good character creator's nice and all but when you actually start the game, they always look terrible or at least off. Games like Destiny and Monster Hunter World especially.

Vondudu

May 7, 2018
Yeah i remember this avatar creator the creation process was awesom
Unfortunatly i launch the game after that the quality of the avatar decrease drasticly

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Came in expecting a bdo video. Has that cc been beaten yet? As much as I like mhw the ingame cc models never match up with the character creation screen.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I am a character customization connoisseur. I would love for there to come a time where we could take a photo of our face and it digitally scan us into the game.

Rainbow Six Vegas had this but it was weird lol.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
expected this to be a stealth thread about the 4 dudes who got arrested while doing a horse-drawn carriage ride
drunk-driving-1-gladwin-county-sheriffs-office.jpg

your scientists were so preoccupied, etc. etc.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Black Desert favors people with asian features. Also, it is the perfect "Kpop character creator", so if you already look like a generic korean idol it's gonna be easy for you to create yourself in the game.

expected this to be a stealth thread about the 4 dudes who got arrested while doing a horse-drawn carriage ride
drunk-driving-1-gladwin-county-sheriffs-office.jpg

your scientists were so preoccupied, etc. etc.

Is this oblivion?

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Uhhh, it's nice but we still a long ways from getting this effect with people who aren't pretty Asians as that's mostly what eastern CC leans towards.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
character creation is all fine and good but it's all set dressing when npcs still look like cardboard cutouts cycling through the same 2-3 idle animations

what's the point in having hyper realistic character models if the immersion is broken as soon as they start moving

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely gotten a lot more solid - The Sims 4 in particular is basically an amazing charicature tool at this point.

A lot of games still need to get more varied hair options, though.

character creation is all fine and good but it's all set dressing when npcs still look like cardboard cutouts cycling through the same 2-3 idle animations

what's the point in having hyper realistic character models if the immersion is broken as soon as they start moving

It's also egregious when those random NPCs all have the same body type, so 70 year old sages have the bodies and posture of 21 year olds

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I guess this might be true if you only want conventionally attractive white and asian faces.

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice, but the girl looks like a stylised character in the first place it would be more impressive with a person that is not a model.
Yup. She has already made a ton of effort in real life to look like a porcelain doll, so no big surprise that she can get a pretty close likeness in the game.

This is a bizarre example for tha OP's argument.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I use to be a huge fan of deep character creators. Now it is more about body types and hair styles because I've given up hope with skin colouration as well as my ability to use the sliders to make something decent.

For skin colour it is especially irritating when you go for a skin colour and come out an odd shade due to lighting or you look like a fish out of water in the game when that isn't the intention.

Also, nothing is worse than making a character you like the appearance of only to be left with awful armour options. (Monster Hunter, looking at you!)

These days I think I prefer unlocking costumes and mix/matching pieces of clothing taking more importance.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Black Desert favors people with asian features. Also, it is the perfect "Kpop character creator", so if you already look like a generic korean idol it's gonna be easy for you to create yourself in the game.
OPs not talking about black desert though.

And I have to disagree with the OP. These character creators aren't good for creating likenesses to a lot of people out there.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
No lmao. If this is some kind of parody I will understand lol. MHW has a great character creator but it doesn't translate or convert it to ingame.

There are countless horrendous memes out there about MHW's character spoofs. I have seen examples like YIKES!! 😂

So far the best character creator is from Black Desert Online.

Oct 26, 2017
If you are good looking asian lady sure, but if you are brown, or black you are kinda fucked with CC from Japanese devs and not.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bad at using character creators. I think the closest I got was DA:I.
My hope is next gen we be able to use the cameras in our controller or whatever to scan our face and the character creator will generate it for us.